Anyone here sick of all the iphone talk in your group of friends.. oh you should get an iphone this and that � oh my iphone does�. My iphone has this.. I don�t usually say anything when they say things cause to each their own, I know why I love my BB and why I�ll stick with BB throughout the years, I�ve convinced my whole family that BB�s are the way to go and we�re all on them and love them.

My father-in-law who I convinced to get a BB, whenever his other daughter says anything about her iphone he says �we should get iphones next� I say �no thanks, you can get one!� that ends that conversation..

anyways this is just my rant of hearing way too much of why I should convert to an iphone. Anyone else out there that feels the same way?
    04-20-11 11:02 AM
    everyone that knows me knows that im anti apple so they avoid that talk with me like the plague.
    04-20-11 11:10 AM
    everyone that knows me knows that im anti apple so they avoid that talk with me like the plague.
    ditto but my friends still try knowing it just irks me to no end.
    04-20-11 11:14 AM
    It's like deja vu all over again.
    04-20-11 11:20 AM
    I like apple computers. but i like blackberry phones.

though if they made an iphone with a keyboard I may have to consider it.
    04-20-11 11:29 AM
    The barbarians always win in the end.
    04-20-11 11:30 AM
    Yesterday,I was with a group of friends and realised I was the only one with a Blackberry.I was happy,it makes me unique.It gets real boring,real fast seeing the same phone,times and times again during all those years.
    04-20-11 11:35 AM
    Since I'm not anti apple, so no I like Apple/BlackBerry/PC. Haven't try Android yet, but I know I'll love it.
    04-20-11 11:36 AM
    I had a few of friends who believe the marketing that there are things that only the iPhone can do that other phones can't. They got their iPhones, & started bragging about its features. On the vast majority of things they brag about, I've been able to show them my bb/android & how it can do the exact thing they say only iPhones are able to do. It changes their tune really quick. In my immediate group of friends, I only have one friend w/ an iPhone (and she's not obnoxious about it at all) & one that has an iPhone that work issued him, but he uses an Evo as his personal device.
    04-20-11 11:46 AM
    I had a few of friends who believe the marketing that there are things that only the iPhone can do that other phones can't. They got their iPhones, & started bragging about its features. On the vast majority of things they brag about, I've been able to show them my bb/android & how it can do the exact thing they say only iPhones are able to do. It changes their tune really quick. In my immediate group of friends, I only have one friend w/ an iPhone (and she's not obnoxious about it at all) & one that has an iPhone that work issued him, but he uses an Evo as his personal device.
    I feel the same way too.. I don�t think people know that BB has apps and features that iphone has..
    04-20-11 11:59 AM
    Well to add insult to injury, my nephew works for AT&T so natually he's an iPhone geek. There's no real arguing with him though so when it comes to iPhone vs whatever, I take the same approach I take when arguing the merits of Religion and politics - I don't. Most people who like iPhone cannot be talked out of it. I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter. iPhone plays to a diffrent audience. For those of us who like BB and Android, you'd probably be classified as a tinkerer or someone who likes change. For those who like iPhone, they typically are quite happy with the status quo and are NOT interested in changing their device's appearance either because they don't know how or because they don't want to be bothered. If I didn't get bored so easily, I'd probably like it too. Being able to change every little thing constantly keeps me occupied. Not only that, but if I buy a new phone, it will usually look pretty different from the previous one - again something new and different. Sorry but the iPhone's appearance just doesn't change all that much from one to the next.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-20-11 12:03 PM
    All my friends ages (26-34) have had iPhones since day one and keep buying the newest model when released. I find it a little odd that each device has been practically the same since the original. Apple really hasn't done anything groundbreaking except the original iPhone at that peroid in time. Now they just have a bunch of iZombies who keep buying them because it is an iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 12:05 PM
    i used to be ok with apple until i came to crackberry. i think im starting to hate apple too. hmmmm such influences lol
    04-20-11 12:13 PM
    All my friends ages (26-34) have had iPhones since day one and keep buying the newest model when released. I find it a little odd that each device has been practically the same since the original. Apple really hasn't done anything groundbreaking except the original iPhone at that peroid in time. Now they just have a bunch of iZombies who keep buying them because it is an iPhone.

That is like every BB though. The Bold 9000 was the real game changer for BB, the 9700 aded more RAM and a smaller form factor, and the same goes for the 9780 with minor upgrades. They all do it.

From the 3Gs to iPhone 4, they doubled the RAM, almost doubled the processor speed as well as adding a new one, added the retina display, added a new design, added HD video recording, added a front facing camera and a few other things.

Every manufacturer refreshes devices. Some just add more than others.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-20-11 at 12:21 PM.
    Super_Mario likes this.
    04-20-11 12:18 PM
    That is like every BB though. The Bold 9000 was the real game changer for BB, the 9700 aded more RAM and a smaller form factor, and the same goes for the 9780 with minor upgrades. They all do it.

From the 3Gs to iPhone 4, they doubled the RAM, almost doubled the processor speed as well as adding a new one, added the retina display, added a new design, added HD video recording, added a front facing camera and a few other things.

Every manufacturer refreshes devices. Some just add more than others.
    There were some very noticable changes in the Blackberry line from the 8830 through to today's 9780, the 8830 was the game changer IMO, the BB phone started appearing in everyones hand with the 8830, and then 8330, and finally 9000, but the OS changed a lot between the OS4.2 and OS6.0
    you can't say the same for iOS in iPhone 1, and iOS in iPhone4, and if you can, then I stand corrected, since I can barely tell the difference, they all look like app screens slide side to side, and everything is done within an app

as for the Topic at hand, I actually know very few iPhone users anymore, The Torch converted a few iPhone users back to Blackberry's some Windows 7 Phones have started poking out, but iPhone is on the decline as the go to phone.

MOST of my circle have Blackberry's the connectivity is there, those few who don't and have to keep up via SMS, come back to Blackberry, your social circle really can dictate your phone if it is purely for social means
    04-20-11 12:33 PM
    There were some very noticable changes in the Blackberry line from the 8830 through to today's 9780, the 8830 was the game changer IMO, the BB phone started appearing in everyones hand with the 8830, and then 8330, and finally 9000, but the OS changed a lot between the OS4.2 and OS6.0
    you can't say the same for iOS in iPhone 1, and iOS in iPhone4, and if you can, then I stand corrected, since I can barely tell the difference, they all look like app screens slide side to side, and everything is done within an app

as for the Topic at hand, I actually know very few iPhone users anymore, The Torch converted a few iPhone users back to Blackberry's some Windows 7 Phones have started poking out, but iPhone is on the decline as the go to phone.

MOST of my circle have Blackberry's the connectivity is there, those few who don't and have to keep up via SMS, come back to Blackberry, your social circle really can dictate your phone if it is purely for social means
    I'm talking specifically about hardware upgrades. iOS software has basically looked the same since iOS1.
    04-20-11 12:36 PM
    Thank god for another one of these threads.

I'm sure this one will turn out ok though....
    04-20-11 12:42 PM
    Let me start by saying, I like BBs. They're missing a few things I need, but if they had those things I would have a BB Bold right now. But that's a different discussion.

It's really not that difficult. People aren't using iPhones and talking about iPhones with such enthusiasm because they're brainwashed. It's because they're fun to use. I know that may be very difficult to understand that anyone could actually like their phone that much. They're intuitive, the UI is very dummy proof, everything is so fluid. The camera is amazing and that's so important to so many people. There's rarely ever a time one has to reboot. If you do have a problem you simply bring it to the Apple store and if they don't fix it then often times they give you a new one.

The apps are top of the line compared to other smartphones in terms of availability, support, and design. It has numerous productivity apps for doing everything a business individual would need to do, but with the same design and support as the entertainment apps. So while BB users tote their smartphones as business intensive, the iPhone performs those functions without sacrificing the entertainment aspect that people desire when they clock out. Not everyone is an executive. Most individuals buying smartphones for themselves are doing so because they want it, not because they need it.

You have to think in terms of the average user. Someone who has a smartphone for their personal use, but would also like to take advantage of some features to enrich their work life. When there's a BB and an iPhone at roughly the same price, why would a consumer opt for the BB? What advantages does it have? People get fed up with the "its battery lasts longer (how on earth are the hundreds of millions of iPhone users getting by?!?) , it's more secure (it's not that serious, I'm not running a fortune 500), and it has a physical keyboard (it's 2011, get with the program)"
    04-20-11 01:06 PM
    ^^ physical keyboards are still relevant in 2011. To think is to completely dismiss a massive markets preference.
    04-20-11 01:16 PM
    ^^ physical keyboards are still relevant in 2011. To think is to completely dismiss a massive markets preference.
    I'm not saying it's completely irrelevant, but rather that most people are very open to trading off a keyboard for more screen real estate.
    04-20-11 01:26 PM
    I'm not saying it's completely irrelevant, but rather that most people are very open to trading off a keyboard for more screen real estate.
    I will agree to that, but I think these people have gone to the slider market, which offer both screen real estate and a physical keyboard.
    04-20-11 01:56 PM
    Funny, I've been having an ongoing debate with an iPhone friend off and on for two days.

I mentioned that the Playbook was coming out (yesterday) which got us talking about phones. I know better than to talk phone tech with him because it always ends up the same way, but I threw caution to the wind and forged on anyway.

In the discussion, he mentioned that the iPhone was the first smartphone. I quickly called him out on that since he was 100% WRONG. I personally owned and used daily a Windows Mobile smartphone a good year before the first iPhone came out. Not to mention the likes of Blackberry, Palm and others. I just couldn't let him be all smug about the "first smartphone" thing. As I quickly proved him wrong, he then changed his argument to the iPhone being the "First REAL smartphone" because it brought so much more technology.

Over the course of this debate, I've asked him 10 times to name one thing the first iPhone did that my Windows Mobile phone didn't do a year before that. Anything he tried to list has either been wrong, or he incorrectly assumed that WM wouldn't do those things as well. He finally settled on the iPhone's popularity, and the Apple experience as a whole being that which made the iPhone the "First REAL smartphone".

Normally, I don't care what he thinks when he gets on his iPhone pulpit, but he was just SO WRONG about this one, I couldn't let it go. I showed him websites detailing the history of smartphone technology but in the end there was no logical thought process happening.

The sad thing to me is that his need for the iPhone to be best and first, has made him resort to coming up with stuff like "first REAL smartphone".

It was just another reminder for me that there is no sense even trying to talk with people that take the thought of their device not being the best (or in this case, the first) SO personally.
    04-20-11 01:58 PM
    Look- I love RIM and the direction they take but we all have admitted at one point or another that they have been lacking in the hardware department and that the software definitely needed an update. So it's understandable that some people are passionate about it because from that standpoint you can't really argue with them.

But the new line looks sexy.
    04-20-11 02:04 PM
    Funny, I've been having an ongoing debate with an iPhone friend off and on for two days.

I mentioned that the Playbook was coming out (yesterday) which got us talking about phones. I know better than to talk phone tech with him because it always ends up the same way, but I threw caution to the wind and forged on anyway.

In the discussion, he mentioned that the iPhone was the first smartphone. I quickly called him out on that since he was 100% WRONG. I personally owned and used daily a Windows Mobile smartphone a good year before the first iPhone came out. Not to mention the likes of Blackberry, Palm and others. I just couldn't let him be all smug about the "first smartphone" thing. As I quickly proved him wrong, he then changed his argument to the iPhone being the "First REAL smartphone" because it brought so much more technology.

Over the course of this debate, I've asked him 10 times to name one thing the first iPhone did that my Windows Mobile phone didn't do a year before that. Anything he tried to list has either been wrong, or he incorrectly assumed that WM wouldn't do those things as well. He finally settled on the iPhone's popularity, and the Apple experience as a whole being that which made the iPhone the "First REAL smartphone".

Normally, I don't care what he thinks when he gets on his iPhone pulpit, but he was just SO WRONG about this one, I couldn't let it go. I showed him websites detailing the history of smartphone technology but in the end there was no logical thought process happening.

The sad thing to me is that his need for the iPhone to be best and first, has made him resort to coming up with stuff like "first REAL smartphone".

It was just another reminder for me that there is no sense even trying to talk with people that take the thought of their device not being the best (or in this case, the first) SO personally.
    Sounds like your friend doesn't know much about the iPhone/smartphone tech. He is absolutely wrong that the iPhone was the first smartphone.

Also, I do not believe there were any WM devices that used Capacitive touchscreens before the iPhone.

He could have simply mentioned the use of a capacitive touchscreen. There are other things as well but most of them are just opinion based.
    04-20-11 02:07 PM
    @BassGeek, you're absolutely right, there's no way you can call the iPhone the first smart phone. But what Apple did do first was to package and market it for the consumer, where every smart phone before it was geared more toward the business user.

As far as the topic of this thread, I don't get tired of iPhone and Android talk per se; they're both pushing the envelope in their own ways, and the fact that they're doing so keeps all the other players on their toes. For example, I doubt we'd be seeing the kinds of phones coming from RIM in a few months if iPhone and Androids didn't push them to it. But what I do get tired of is the my-phone-is-better-than-yours arguments ... you can always find any phone that does something better than any other phone. And no matter how good any phone is today, somebody is working on another one that will bury it in some way tomorrow.

04-20-11 02:10 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD