I got a brand new blackberry 8530 for xmas this year. (first blackberry) built for boost mobile.

Since then it has been a nightmare. On their coverage map (they also see) my area should have the best service. However, no matter where I go my brand new phone won't lock on a signal. My signal keeps fluctuating and dropping on and off the network that is killing my battery. I can't get on the web because my signal never stays on. (network not wifi) Wifi works fine.

I have been on the phone with them atleast 15 times. (4 hours on xmas and probably 20 hours in total) I have tried every troubleshooting step in the book with them and have done the same processes over and over. I finally asked for them to exchange my brand new phone as a last resort.

I have had Supervisors Hang up on me, one put me on hold and disconnected 15 mins later, and flat out lied too. My boost mobile experience has been horrible.

If the new phone doesn't solve the problem, Can I just switch to virgin mobile?
    12-30-10 10:14 PM
    My mother has the first BB Curve they had (8310?) and she gets fairly poor signal as well. Virgin Mobile uses the same network as Boost (Sprint), so I dunno if that would fix any issues. I actually doubt it would.

I'd take the phone back and try to get a pre-paid Verizon Curve, TBH.

You won't have unlimited minutes on it, but at least you'll get decent reception.

There should be a return policy on the phone for a refund, but you need the reciept O.o
    12-30-10 10:43 PM
    Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile run on the same network, the Sprint network.
    My guess is that Sprint does not have decent coverage in your area yet, but both prepaid carriers offer immense value.
    If you are going to switch, switch up to AT&T or Verizon.
    Not down to Metro or T-Mobile.
    Best of luck!
    And I'd stay with Boost! I promise it will get better as Sprint is in the process of restructuring.
    12-31-10 07:16 PM
    Going by their coverage map my signal should be fantastic. it happens in m general area
    12-31-10 08:46 PM
    Take it back and get an exchange for new. I have had an 8330 for 8 months. Hands down the best service and signal of any carrier I have ever had and I have had them all. It does depend on your location. And if the coverage map says you should have signal, sounds like it may be another issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 02:58 PM
    Boost and Virgin Mobile networks are not made for Blackberrys. Your best bet is to return the defective device and purchase another Curve ( if that is the device you want ) from either Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile thru their pre-paid services.
    01-01-11 03:40 PM
    I got BB Boost 8530 works great no problems with internet or signal. Change your phone think you just got a dud

I got a brand new blackberry 8530 for xmas this year. (first blackberry) built for boost mobile.

Since then it has been a nightmare. On their coverage map (they also see) my area should have the best service. However, no matter where I go my brand new phone won't lock on a signal. My signal keeps fluctuating and dropping on and off the network that is killing my battery. I can't get on the web because my signal never stays on. (network not wifi) Wifi works fine.

I have been on the phone with them atleast 15 times. (4 hours on xmas and probably 20 hours in total) I have tried every troubleshooting step in the book with them and have done the same processes over and over. I finally asked for them to exchange my brand new phone as a last resort.

I have had Supervisors Hang up on me, one put me on hold and disconnected 15 mins later, and flat out lied too. My boost mobile experience has been horrible.

If the new phone doesn't solve the problem, Can I just switch to virgin mobile?
    01-01-11 05:54 PM
    Boost is Iden I think ,and virgin I'd cdma.

01-01-11 06:18 PM
    There is no doubt that you shoud change your phone .The bad network! Good luck

01-01-11 09:12 PM
    Hey I just wanted to ask a silly question about Boost. Plans are awesome & Sprints coverage nationwide is awesome (I drive trucks all 48 so I know) so is it true Boost roams on Sprint & is it free to do that unlimited, I will jump on Boost in about 5 seconds if that is true
    01-01-11 09:29 PM
    Going by their coverage map my signal should be fantastic. it happens in m general area
    How "strong" is the coverage on the map? Are you on a hill? How far to the nearest tower (antennaweb.org)?

It's not like "the middle of the street shows no coverage on the map so I won't have coverage"...know what I mean?

Have you tried Options -> Mobile Options then made sure you were set to "Home Only" since there's no roaming on Boost? If the phone tries to connect to a, say, Verizon tower all sorts of havoc will be wreaked upon the signal.
    Boost and Virgin Mobile networks are not made for Blackberrys. Your best bet is to return the defective device and purchase another Curve ( if that is the device you want ) from either Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile thru their pre-paid services.
    Considering Boost and Virgin use Sprint's network...Boost/Virgin are Sprint, but prepaid.

My BBs work just fine (excepting that BIS is unavailable when using a Sprint-branded phone).

Boost has both iDen and CDMA networks.
    Hey I just wanted to ask a silly question about Boost. Plans are awesome & Sprints coverage nationwide is awesome (I drive trucks all 48 so I know) so is it true Boost roams on Sprint & is it free to do that unlimited, I will jump on Boost in about 5 seconds if that is true
    There is no roaming with Boost. You use Sprint's "native" network and that's it. Coverage is very good on main thoroughfares but in the middle of nowhere, signal can be hard to come by.

Then again, it's prepaid so you don't have any contract to sign or ETF fees to pay...not much to lose by testing the network
    01-02-11 12:03 PM

Boost is CDMA for Blackberrys 8330 and 8530, Sprint /Nextel network. They have phones that use the iden network and also 8350i bb that uses the iden network w/Ptt.

01-02-11 03:25 PM
    Take it back and get an exchange for new. I have had an 8330 for 8 months. Hands down the best service and signal of any carrier I have ever had and I have had them all. It does depend on your location. And if the coverage map says you should have signal, sounds like it may be another issue.

Coverage maps are useless.

You need to have a carrier show you coverage in their computer systems, not on some coverage map on the wall.

Trust me, they're useless. Been through 3 major carriers in 6 months because I believed the coverage maps...
    01-02-11 08:29 PM
    I have been having a problem with Boost billing me for their Navigator GPS service monthly and cannot get it canceled. After 5-6 phone calls since Nov. 1, 2010, I have no choice but to let it expire from lack of money and I am moving to T-mobile. No problem with coverage, just the billing crap!! Same experience with customer serve-us (tgeir attitude), They say its on my phone and I get an email monthly allowing me to decline the purchase. But I have NEVER received that email, just the $9.99 charge on the 30th of the month - even when the phone is off.

After a brainstorm this morning, I wonder if I even need Boost in order to use Google Voice or Vopium for Wifi connections and SMS calls? Shouldn't it work without the Boost connection??

Ray
    02-12-11 05:47 AM
    Hello I am a Virgin Mobile Customer. I have been for almost 6 years now and I have never had an issue with the service until I went to Mackinaw Island in Michigan. I have traveled out of state and never had issues either. I believe Virgin Mobile runs off of the Verizon Network when the Sprint Network is not available. I hope this helps.
    12-05-12 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD