Not trying to upset or offend anyone here, but is anyone in Canada (mostly) or the U.S. getting random calls and or text messages from numbers in the 828-557-xxxx region? Seems this is a North Carolina exchange and are all cell phone numbers with Cellco, a partnership of Verizon. I have no idea how these people have gotten my number, but it is really irritating that they keep calling. I used to answer but now just let it ring and go to VM. Anyone else having this problem and if so were you able to make it stop? Seems like it is a scam of some sort to me. They never asked for personal info or anything they just claim that they have received a text from my number. Since I know nobody that lives there, I find that kinda hard to believe. My carrier says they can do NOTHING about it and not to bother contacting the police. They say to change my number which is a huge inconvenience as so many legit people have my number. It is always a different number that calls, and different times of the day and different amounts of time between receiving calls. Sometimes it is 1 per day, sometimes 1 every couple weeks. This is getting old though, and would really like it to stop. Anyone out there experiencing this?
    05-26-11 09:37 PM
    theres an app to block calls from numbers you add to the list.... grr cant remember the name of the one I used to have ( i know its a simple name too)
    05-26-11 09:40 PM
    I would call back and sometimes if it's an automated system, it'll tell you how to 'unsubscribe' from the calling list.
    If it's a person, tell them to stop calling and you're not interested in whatever they're offering/never want to be contacted again.

I could recommend to block the number, but sometimes these types of people keep the same first six #'s and change the last four digits.
    05-26-11 09:40 PM
    I would call back and sometimes if it's an automated system, it'll tell you how to 'unsubscribe' from the calling list.
    If it's a person, tell them to stop calling and you're not interested in whatever they're offering/never want to be contacted again.

I could recommend to block the number, but sometimes these types of people keep the same first six #'s and change the last four digits.
    Yeah, that is the problem. Same first 6 digits, and last four are always different. Never the same person either. They sound like they are different ages too. Some older people and some younger people. Never ever the same number that calls twice though. And the internet search indicates that they are all cell #'s from the same area in N.C. Sounds a little fishy to me. Dunno. I am keeping a record of every number that calls, the date and the time. I have no idea if this info will ever do me any good, but maybe at some point?? Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated!
    05-26-11 10:15 PM
    Did you call the number(s) back...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 02:00 AM
    I think the apps name is called privacy star or something like that

05-27-11 03:52 AM
    Did you ask what the text the callers say they received from you says? Could there be some spyware on your phone that's really sending out texts to numbers on some cell network in that area code (kind of like when some computer virus forwards emails to everyone in your hotmail contact list)? Also, there are computer programs that allow you to send texts right from your pc. Just a thought ...

Last edited by T�nis; 05-27-11 at 05:56 AM.
    05-27-11 05:53 AM
    I would recommend calling them back and if a person answers, tell them this is a cell phone and you are on the National Do Not Call List and the calls/text will stop.
    05-27-11 07:39 AM
    I have not called the people back. I did answer a call from a guy last night who said there was 3 numbers on his phone he didn't recognise and was looking for some friend of his. When I told him he was like the tenth caller and I didn't know what these calls were about. He asked if it was about "the Jamaican job". I have no clue what that is. Told him I was annoyed and wanted the calls to stop. He said he didn't blame me. I dunno. As for viruses, I was under the impression that their was no virus made for blackberries of any kind. I could be wrong, but that's what I understood. These phones seem really secure. Some punk probably has my number and is sending people texts from an online service using my number as the reply to number. I have not seen anything weird on my phone bills and my carrier has not detected any abnormal activity. I guess I am the victem of some crappy prank. Thanks to everyone!

05-27-11 08:14 PM
    Maybe it's time to call your carrier and get your number changed.
    That must really suck, and it probably isn't going to stop anytime soon, sadly. :/
    05-27-11 09:10 PM
    theres an app to block calls from numbers you add to the list.... grr cant remember the name of the one I used to have ( i know its a simple name too)
    Yeah right. I know it before too. I am trying to recall it also. I hope that the one calling you will be block from the line.
    05-27-11 10:58 PM
    I'm using iblocker pro but might not help much if the number changes all the time. I got that because I kept having some foreign speaking person constantly calling me.
    05-27-11 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD