The market doesn't seems disappointed so, I'm good...long bbry
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-25-14 01:47 PM
    I like that what they announced will be here soon, instead of late Q4, or worse. The best announcements are look what we have get it next week....Bam. I am glad that Chen said he is focused on breaking even this year and return to profitable next. When they announced BB10, it was heralded as their savier, and flopped.
    uhh everything they said to be launched later other then the Z3.
    BES12 end of 2014
    Q20 end of 2014
    WP8 BBM should have been here already but it is set to launch in the summer

Sorry if i didn't read your comment right, I'm a bit confused by it. Completely sorry if i'm completely off!!
    02-25-14 01:51 PM
    Shortly after Chen first stepped into Blackberry, Chen himself had openly stated that we wouldn't be seeing anything exciting until at least the end of 2014 (if not early 2015). If anything, what little was there was abundantly more than anybody could reasonably expect.
    This ^^^

Even when Chen says explicitly not to expect new phones (Jakarta excepted) for a year or more, says explicitly that he doesn't expect a return to profit until at least 2016, and says that the focus is on enterprise and services... there are still many here that seem to expect shiny new consumer phones available next month.

It's not going to happen. And it doesn't matter how much BB fans want it to be so.

I agree with Ralphy. What we saw today was actually more than I expected - all I was expecting was to hear news of Jakarta, and there was more than that (though admittedly, most of it was in the "soon" timeframe)
    02-25-14 01:52 PM
    This ^^^

Even when Chen says explicitly not to expect new phones (Jakarta excepted) for a year or more, says explicitly that he doesn't expect a return to profit until at least 2016, and says that the focus is on enterprise and services... there are still many here that seem to expect shiny new consumer phones available next month.

It's not going to happen. And it doesn't matter how much BB fans want it to be so.

I agree with Ralphy. What we saw today was actually more than I expected - all I was expecting was to hear news of Jakarta, and there was more than that (though admittedly, most of it was in the "soon" timeframe)
    Exactly why I didn't say new hardware. He's a software guy so software roadmap would have been nice. It's obvious that they are working on Blend, apps like wallet and the new OS update. Stated this many times :P
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-25-14 01:58 PM
    People who want trackpads is such a minority unless they put it into the space bar which would be cool and/or the "multi-function" keyboard.
    BB10 users are the minority, if BBOS users are "people who want trackpads"

But the rest of the "Belt" is useless on BB10 it's all just 1 swipe away... Trackpad + BELT is not the only reason why people from BBOS7 have moved on or stayed on their Legacy Blackberry.
    Not the only reason, but I think a more significant one than you I expect.

If they use BBOS7 devices selling better then BB10 that is because it's dirt cheap and probably the most simple OS to use. BIS+50-100mb data =golden. That is a terrible argument.
    The Z10 is pretty cheap now, and it's still not selling: I don't think price is the only factor, because there are cheaper Android phones that are arguably "more viable" than BBOS devices. You can't just discount the appeal of the Belt because the devices also happen to be relatively inexpensive. A Dairy Milk bar is less expensive than fine caviar, but most people would rather have a chocolate bar, even if both were right there free for the taking.

The only good announcement that happened today was the BES. It's a step forward to get everyone on the most current BES with an upgrade.
    I was really happy to see that too.

Z3 is awesome too but will not help first world countries perspective of Blackberry and BlackBerry will continue to sink. BBOS7 will continue to sell better because of compressed data, less then 200$, easy OS; in third world countries.
    But it's an inexpensive full touch device without the Belt? You were saying the Belt wouldn't help now you're saying a cheap full touch device won't help... Are you saying that nothing BlackBerry does is worth doing? I can see why you were disappointed! :-)

They need some innovative ideas. Look at Sony's show that was amazing, you go any any tech forum/reddit and look at the hype of new and improved Sony. Even Samsungs was pretty brutal.
    Samsung is the market leader and doesn't have to innovate anymore... clearly.

It's taking Blackberry too long to turn ideas into a product which is the reason why blackberry is falling behind in the first place. Ex Blend!!
    but Blend is a product that will appeal only to enterprise customers that are keen on BlackBerry 10 devices, which is a low number and Blend in and of itself isn't going to increase sales figures, especially as it's a concept that IT groups have to wrap their heads around before they can say "I'd like a 10,000 user license, please."

BlackBerry is doing the right things in the right order in my opinion, even if they're not going as fast as some would like.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-25-14 02:01 PM
    Exactly why I didn't say new hardware. He's a software guy so software roadmap would have been nice. It's obvious that they are working on Blend, apps like wallet and the new OS update. Stated this many times :P
    That's all true, and is consistent with Chen's statements on BB being all about Enterprise, Software & Services.

So, for whatever my vote is worth, I'm happy to accept that you aren't one of the "shiny BB consumer handsets, available next Tuesday" fantacists ... but, you must admit that there are many posts around here from people that do seem to believe that fantasy.
    02-25-14 02:06 PM
    Shortly after Chen first stepped into Blackberry, Chen himself had openly stated that we wouldn't be seeing anything exciting until at least the end of 2014 (if not early 2015). If anything, what little was there was abundantly more than anybody could reasonably expect.
    I agree. Chen's hardly been there long enough to get a real handle on things IMO. And of course a lot of what they've announced was already in the works if you consider dev time-lines and all. Nonetheless -- eBBM, BES12, etc. That stuff is all consistent with the focus on enterprise. And I think the Ford win that has been all over the news, is an unexpected nice turn of events as well. The stock market seems to like what it is hearing.
    02-25-14 02:12 PM
    If anything I would say Samsung with their "same phone as last year but shinier" announcements would be a disappointment to anyone who cared. Not me.

BlackBerry is trying to address inconsistencies in their product offerings, quality etc. I think righting the ship is more important than trying to sail. Assuming the mobile-market doesn't have any sea-changes (pardon the puns) anytime in the next 24 months I think BB can find success and profitability again.

What I want to understand is how QNX will offer BlackBerry a leg-up in the mobile world - I feel like I've never seen the full vision of what the strategy is.
    02-25-14 02:17 PM
    What struck me was the scale of the presentation, itself, compared to the other competing smartphone presentations at MWC from the likes Samsung or Nokia. It's quite a contrast.
    http://www.ridble.com/wp-content/upl...c-featured.jpg

http://twimages.vr-zone.net/2014/02/...19-665x443.jpg

http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/...711014_800.jpg
    If you have given up on consumers, why have a presentation that is best used for consumer markers?

as for the "where's the Q20 spec sheet?" - I'm reaching here but I suspect there is no spec sheet because they don't know themselves - is it really a big concidence that person most responsible for the BB10 UI and HCI guidelines and development suddenly quits a few days before they announce they are going to bring back the 'belt' - something BB10 was never designed to work with?

Could be but I don't think so.
    JeepBB, Taigatrommel and kbz1960 like this.
    02-25-14 02:17 PM
    That's all true, and is consistent with Chen's statements on BB being all about Enterprise, Software & Services.

So, for whatever my vote is worth, I'm happy to accept that you aren't one of the "shiny BB consumer handsets, available next Tuesday" fantacists ... but, you must admit that there are many posts around here from people that do seem to believe that fantasy.
    And there are many people here who see BlackBerry through their eyes and don't seem to see the new team's plan for the short term. The device side is important yes, it went first today. And that had a lot to do with Foxconn being there. However, in the grand scheme there was much more on the enterprise side - new software, new pricing, major European customer upgrades to BlackBerry 10, QNX software and partnerships - lots of stuff. And the market reacted big time. This is all good. It was a good day on the road to recovery.
    02-25-14 02:20 PM
    And there are many people here who see BlackBerry through their eyes and don't seem to see the new team's plan for the short term. The device side is important yes, it went first today. And that had a lot to do with Foxconn being there. However, in the grand scheme there was much more on the enterprise side - new software, new pricing, major European customer upgrades to BlackBerry 10, QNX software and partnerships - lots of stuff. And the market reacted big time. This is all good. It was a good day on the road to recovery.
    It may surprise you, but I agree with all you've written.

There was Jakarta, which was all I expected frankly. But there was, in addition, a lot of upbeat news about the enterprise, software, services side that Chen (rightly IMHO) sees as BB's future. And it was a good step along that road... providing evidence that there really is a plan, and showing identifiable steps along the way.
    02-25-14 02:27 PM
    @RyanGermann I don't think I came off right on you with some of my mixed ideas. I personally find the trackpad itself fine, if they innovate it and put it somewhere like the space bar to not take up any more room then they have too. The call/end key is not needed in BB10 since it has on screen call and end built into the OS. Meaning they only need that trackpad.

Z3 running BB10 is much different then a Bold running BBOS7. The reason why BBOS7 sells with BELT is because that's what the software was made to do. They didn't have any on screen buttons, heck most BBOS weren't even touch screen.
    I'd compare a Z3 more to an Android then to BBOS.
    BBOS is certainly cheaper then $200 first off.
    The reason why those 3rd world countries buy BBOS is because of it's compressed data. Which brings me back to my first point, BB10 uses data at the same rate as Android, Android also now has BBM. There is no point in buying a Blackberry there unless it's compressed data. There's no way they will win down there now with their new plan.

I just really think they should really think about it. Not just slap that Belt Bar across the phone, my Q10 would look ugly if it were 2cm/0.5" longer. I personally don't think they will get many more subscribers because of having BELT, trackpad yes if it were to be put into the space bar to not consumer valuable phone space. The rest is just not needed with BB10.

The problem is you are comparing apples to apples which it's really apples to oranges. BB10 is nothing like BBOS7 especially a cheap full screen touch.
    02-25-14 02:34 PM
    So the reactive nature of the new strategy doesn't bother anyone? "Wow, Whatsapp was sold for $19 billion? I guess we should really work on BBM!" "Our user surveys say they like the keyboard and the belt. OK, the new Classic will have the keyboard and the belt."

Since Chen isn't a smartphone guy or even a mobile guy, it's probably too much to ask for a strong vision.
    02-25-14 02:35 PM
    About the only worthwhile thing I got out of today's news is that the 10.2.1 MR (25xx and up) is probably going to show up in April. Maybe 10.2.2 with the Q20 in the second half of the year.

I was hoping for something about a 8974 full-touch phone by early 2015, so news about a trackpad QWERTY and a new Curve aren't exactly my cup of tea.
    02-25-14 02:37 PM
    "over-promised" and "underdelivered" ... Blackberry needs to adhere to NOT doing this anymore. So don't be promising ****e if you can't delivered! If they're committed to the measurables that they stated at MWC then I'm A-ok.
    02-25-14 02:58 PM
    Personally as an IT admin I'm extremely happy with BES12 announcement it is a huge game changer. Only proper MDM on market to manage every device.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2102
    This is where the real traction is going to be kids. Put your big boy pants on because BlackBerry is going back to its work roots.

Following the consumer market is just a long slog to the bottom with low margins and even lower returns. Enterprise has money to spend and the need for more than just a handset.
    02-25-14 03:07 PM
    They gave us more than anyone was expecting and on top of that made a whole bunch of legacy users excited. What's disappointing about it? You really want them to empty out their bag of goodies for us? What will they then use to calm investors when bad news comes? They gave us fans a lot to look forward to. Appreciate what we got because there may be more good news they aren't telling us just yet. Keeping it a secret is better. I'd rather get excited more often throughout the year than one big hurrah at the beginning.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-25-14 04:00 PM
    I was happy with what they announced today. "YOU HAVE TO CRAWL BEFORE YOU RUN". How quickly do people forget that BlackBerry is only just beginning to crawl out from the "valley of death".
    There are no quick fixes or short cuts to getting BlackBerry back into profitability and the stock market is realizing that too. Airbus, Daimler etc signing on to BES is an accomplishment. All the other things like BES12, eBBM, QNX OS 6.6 etc currently in the pipeline are very encouraging. Z3 looks like it will do well in the emerging worlds when it hits those markets. The Q20 might fair well with a lot of ardent legacy users who have been sitting on the fence all this while.
    Overall, any realistic person ought to know that BlackBerry has a daunting challenge to overcome. John Chen & company are putting up a good fight and I personally will give them credit for still holding theirs heads high.
    Last edited by wincyUt; 02-25-14 at 04:20 PM.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-25-14 04:07 PM
    This is where the real traction is going to be kids. Put your big boy pants on because BlackBerry is going back to its work roots.

Following the consumer market is just a long slog to the bottom with low margins and even lower returns. Enterprise has money to spend and the need for more than just a handset.
    I agree..BlackBerry could release a Decacore 128Bit device with 256Gb RAM and sales still won't give much of a boost.
    There only avenue at the moment is to focus on rebuilding their Enterprise business and regain their respect as a viable business. They will then be able to use their reputation to rebuild the consumer market if they desire. But mobile handsets are become a cheap commodity, they would be best focus on software that will be cross platform, and perhaps license BB10 to other phone vendors eventually.
    02-25-14 04:11 PM
    I was a bit because I was waiting for an announcement of a Z30 style sized handset with qwerty!!!

I think once BlackBerry settles on great design for a qwerty with a larger screen would def be a hit forsure!

Posted Via CB10/SQN100-3 on official 10.2.1.537/1925
    02-25-14 04:14 PM
    10.3 will probably come with the high end device for enterprise that they are working. This is maybe a BlackBerry device with octa core.

I came up with this conclusion because qnx right now doesn't support cores more than 2. So, maybe by that time when they're going to release the monster, qnx kernel could be updated under 10.3 to work on multiple cores.

Sounds scary.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 04:19 PM
    I liked it.
    You have have :
    -z3 zakarta
    -q20 this September
    -eBBM suite- bbm protected
    -bes 12 announcement
    -ez pass announcement
    -various companies investment in bb10 and bes10
    - BlackBerry qnx and qualcomm powered benz shown.
    *ford kick ms and adopted qnx for future ford sync
    -Bbm announced for Windows phone
    * BlackBerry guardian trend Micro

* = not sur if announced during mwc

That is a lot for a company that wasn't meant to be present

Better android than android. The future is black....
    alan510, wincyUt and THBW like this.
    02-25-14 04:32 PM
    They actually announced more than I thought they would. Granted it's coming later then I would like but none of it was intended for me anyway as I see it.
    02-25-14 04:34 PM
    Meanwhile what did others announced

CDM76 likes this.
    02-25-14 04:46 PM
    I liked it.
    You have have :
    -z3 zakarta
    -q20 this September
    -eBBM suite- bbm protected
    -bes 12 announcement
    -ez pass announcement
    -various companies investment in bb10 and bes10
    - BlackBerry qnx and qualcomm powered benz shown.
    *ford kick ms and adopted qnx for future ford sync
    -Bbm announced for Windows phone
    * BlackBerry guardian trend Micro

* = not sur if announced during mwc

That is a lot for a company that wasn't meant to be present

Yes, I certainly think it was a productive meeting for blackberry. It's hard to be disappointed with the new hardware and software offerings. However, some people always see black clouds no matter what.
    wincyUt and CDM76 like this.
    02-25-14 04:50 PM
87 1234