I was expecting a Blackberry Blend announcement, 10.3/10.2.2 roadmap or something to get people excited like Q20 spec sheet.

I might be a downer but I love the Blackberry events where they announce something huge. I've been behind Blackberry for at least 10 years since it's in my home city (Waterloo). I try to contribute as much as possible.

Non of these announcements are worth while to the average person.

People who want trackpads is such a minority unless they put it into the space bar which would be cool and/or the "multi-function" keyboard. But the rest of the "Belt" is useless on BB10 it's all just 1 swipe away... Trackpad + BELT is not the only reason why people from BBOS7 have moved on or stayed on their Legacy Blackberry.

If they use BBOS7 devices selling better then BB10 that is because it's dirt cheap and probably the most simple OS to use. BIS+50-100mb data =golden. That is a terrible argument.

The only good announcement that happened today was the BES. It's a step forward to get everyone on the most current BES with an upgrade.

Z3 is awesome too but will not help first world countries perspective of Blackberry and BlackBerry will continue to sink. BBOS7 will continue to sell better because of compressed data, less then 200$, easy OS; in third world countries.

They need some innovative ideas. Look at Sony's show that was amazing, you go any any tech forum/reddit and look at the hype of new and improved Sony. Even Samsungs was pretty brutal.
    It's taking Blackberry too long to turn ideas into a product which is the reason why blackberry is falling behind in the first place. Ex Blend!!
    Last edited by khehl; 02-25-14 at 11:38 AM.
    02-25-14 11:08 AM
    it was what i expected for the most part. the Q20 was unexpected but doesnt really do anything for me personally. I didnt expect them to announce the rumored powerhouse phone so I cant be let down in that respect.
    02-25-14 11:12 AM
    it was what i expected for the most part. the Q20 was unexpected but doesnt really do anything for me personally. I didnt expect them to announce the rumored powerhouse phone so I cant be let down in that respect.
    we've always had roadmaps about what is blackberry up to next type thing, which got the Blackberry community very excited similar to what Sony is doing right now.

BELT is only going to serve a minority but not the future.
    Hopefully they think smart and be innovative with the trackpad like putting it into the space bar like i previously said. If they just slap on that BELT above the keyboard like before they will be going backwards. Like I said the other BELT keys are completely useless in BB10

They need to think outside of the box with their keyboard to bring outsiders back to Blackberry. Multi-function + trackpad space bar would be a good start
    02-25-14 11:20 AM
    Give them some credit, they showed up and showed what they have going following a year when everybody, their brother, and the neighborhood cat was scratching in the litter box predicting their demise just months ago. They don't have Sony or Samsung money to burn. Recovery is not an instantaneous occurrance, it's a process.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-25-14 at 05:35 PM.
    02-25-14 11:23 AM
    Give them some credit, they showed up and showed what they have going following a year when everybody, their brother, and the neighborhood cat was predicting their demise just months ago. They don't have Sony or Samsung money to burn. Recovery is not an instantaneous occurrance, it's a process.
    I guess but that's where the roadmap comes in. We as blackberry enthusiasts would like to know what's next? We are basically all they got as of now, give us a list of things that you are working on for the next OS or app(wallet, file manager cloud extended and etc) or blend. Grab our attention.

I'm not expecting them to fly to the moon or burn billions on advertising/R&D.
    Last edited by khehl; 02-25-14 at 11:46 AM.
    02-25-14 11:28 AM
    I agree with a lot of the OP's points but am just happy they had a presence there.
    02-25-14 11:29 AM
    I guess but that's where the roadmap comes in. We as blackberry enthusiasts would like to know what's next? We are basically all they got as of now, give us a list of things that you are working on for the next OS or app or blend. Grab our attention.

I'm not expecting them to fly to the moon or burn billions on advertising/R&D.
    I think....well, frankly, it is what it is. They are where they are.

Your gripes are perfectly legitimate....this isn't, the special Olympics so to speak. You don't get points for showing up, and that isn't going to impress most users, most press, competitors or potential partners. It's a cutthroat fight between tech corporations. If you're not RAPIDLY advancing with big plans (let alone stagnating), you're actually falling further behind - especially when you're a little guy.

However, I think people should have had this reaction to BB...one year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago. Now, I have sympathy, because what does anyone expect? There isn't much they can do now. I don't get...in the slightest....the weird notions people have about grandiose expectations from BB...in terms of the company or products. The old BB as an industry leader, or even big player, are over. It's a matter of what a much smaller BB can reinvent itself as.

You may not expect them to fly a rocket to the moon, but a lot of people are....unless BB finds a magical source of resources ie. somebody to back them, I think people are going to be pretty disappointed.
    JeepBB, techvisor and cwalt2166 like this.
    02-25-14 11:51 AM
    Ya to announce they are focusing on cheaper sub par devices and stepping back in time.... Great stuff. Do you hear Samsung saying "yes we are going to make cheaper phones with less specs than anyone out there AND going to go back to the original S series phone to make all our older and past consumers happy" .... Nope, they announce a bigger screened, faster, heart monitoring, finger print reading device as will Apple...those companies are moving forward with high tech advancements. We have some darn good devices in our line up that are already produced...should have at least attempted to bring them up to today's specs... That's all.
    After all the hype I sure hope the Q20 is the right decision and is a well built beautiful looking phone with awesome specs.... Otherwise we are jus the poor kids on the side of the court with a deflated ball.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    02-25-14 11:57 AM
    I was actually happy with all they announced. I think u can really see the focus and the direction the company is headed in now. I still think they are getting the ducks lined up before they announce everything and I'm ok with that. Don't announce stuff that's launching 4+ months later. When it's ready, then tell me

Was surprised they announced the Q20 though. I see why they did it, but I think it shows how desperate they are to retain many of their enterprise customers over the next few months

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 02-25-14 at 02:21 PM.
    02-25-14 12:04 PM
    Personally as an IT admin I'm extremely happy with BES12 announcement it is a huge game changer. Only proper MDM on market to manage every device.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2102
    02-25-14 12:07 PM
    I was also hoping for some more exciting news, perhaps a 7" tablet from Foxconn, or a crazy high end device that sets a new standard. I work for a high tech organization that is a faction of the size of BlackBerry and we produce many new products each year, why not BlackBerry.

I don't want this to be all negative, if the amazing Z30 is a reflection of where their products are going, I can't wait to see its successor, and because of this I'm probably an impatient consumer.

Z30 on 10.2.1.537 in Canada
    02-25-14 12:08 PM
    Ya to announce they are focusing on cheaper sub par devices and stepping back in time.... Great stuff. Do you hear Samsung saying "yes we are going to make cheaper phones with less specs than anyone out there AND going to go back to the original S series phone to make all our older and past consumers happy" .... Nope, they announce a bigger screened, faster, heart monitoring, finger print reading device as will Apple...those companies are moving forward with high tech advancements. We have some darn good devices in our line up that are already produced...should have at least attempted to bring them up to today's specs... That's all.
    After all the hype I sure hope the Q20 is the right decision and is a well built beautiful looking phone with awesome specs.... Otherwise we are jus the poor kids on the side of the court with a deflated ball.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    That's true, but if they dropped in faster processors, better screens, etc, do you think it would sell? I think it would sell less than the q10 and z10 did, and be another huge hit (possibly an ultimately fatal one) on their finances.
    02-25-14 12:09 PM
    I think....well, frankly, it is what it is. They are where they are.

Your gripes are perfectly legitimate....this isn't, the special Olympics so to speak. You don't get points for showing up, and that isn't going to impress most users, most press, competitors or potential partners. It's a cutthroat fight between tech corporations. If you're not RAPIDLY advancing with big plans (let alone stagnating), you're actually falling further behind - especially when you're a little guy.

However, I think people should have had this reaction to BB...one year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago. Now, I have sympathy, because what does anyone expect? There isn't much they can do now. I don't get...in the slightest....the weird notions people have about grandiose expectations from BB...in terms of the company or products. The old BB as an industry leader, or even big player, are over. It's a matter of what a much smaller BB can reinvent itself as.

You may not expect them to fly a rocket to the moon, but a lot of people are....unless BB finds a magical source of resources ie. somebody to back them, I think people are going to be pretty disappointed.
    Exactly, but to stabilize the company like BB Junky said they need to be moving forward. I just listed a few things that they are working on so it's not like it's Area 51 territory. Show us what they have been up to since Chen. He's a software guy so show us a sneak peak at the new OS, new app, new blend (which i will repeat over and over in future comments). I just want to know what they are doing for the masses!! lol

They aren't an Apple, people won't blindly follow Blackberry without any single person knowing what they are doing all year around. Apple is the only tech company that doesn't need a roadmap even giants like Samsung need a roadmap or they will get crushed.
    richardat likes this.
    02-25-14 12:13 PM
    Personally as an IT admin I'm extremely happy with BES12 announcement it is a huge game changer. Only proper MDM on market to manage every device.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2102
    I was too, that was there best announcement by far. That is what I mean by moving forward.
    02-25-14 12:17 PM
    I was actually happy with all they announced. I think u can really see the focus and the direction is headed in now. I still think they are getting the ducks lined up before they announce anything and I'm ok with that. Don't announce stuff that's launching 4+ months later. When it's ready, then tell me

Was surprised they announced the Q20 though. I see why they did it, but I think it shows how desperate they are to retain many of their enterprise customers over the next few months

Posted via CB10
    you do realize that Q20 is announced for the end of 2014 which will give Blackberry another year like last year.
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-q20-class...hing-end-2014/

Even though the rumours of the windermere is supposed to be around Sept-Dec as well.

I'm looking for them to announce more software related stuff like i said above: blend, OS and current apps - that we already know that they are working on like: wallet, file manager cloud storage extension and etc.

Hardware i'd like them to announce but i do get they are low on cash which is why i didn't say it:P
    02-25-14 12:18 PM
    Shortly after Chen first stepped into Blackberry, Chen himself had openly stated that we wouldn't be seeing anything exciting until at least the end of 2014 (if not early 2015). If anything, what little was there was abundantly more than anybody could reasonably expect.
    02-25-14 12:26 PM
    I am not really disappointed by what they've introduced. In fact I am actually surprised to see a Q20 announcement there, since I only calculated with an official Z3 launch.

However I am much more disappointed by BlackBerry to fall back to old habits:
    BBM for Windows Phone - announced, will come sometime this summer. Too late IMO.
    BlackBerry Q20 - announced and coming sometime in the second half of this year. Again why not a more or less timely release?
    New BES - again announced and will be released later this year.

Thinking about it though, BlackBerry is mostly aiming for business customers anyways, which I think don't need or better crave for a "launch and release!" pattern like Nokias Stephen Elop always praised.
    Yet especially for the end consumer based BBM for WP the summer release is clearly a missed opportunity.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    02-25-14 12:30 PM
    Shortly after Chen first stepped into Blackberry, Chen himself had openly stated that we wouldn't be seeing anything exciting until at least the end of 2014 (if not early 2015). If anything, what little was there was abundantly more than anybody could reasonably expect.
    I see you around the forums quite a it so i trust your judgement.

Overall, do you personally think with what they announced today will help them and tell the world that they are moving forward? Will this help them gain subscribers or lose them?
    02-25-14 12:33 PM
    I watched a Bloomberg interview with Chen where they asked him if BlackBerry was considering coming out with a wearable. His response was very telling. (Best I can remember) "Wearable, everyone asking me about wearables. Right now I have my hands full getting the company where it needs to be. Getting devices back on track. Getting more servers out there. Finding new avenues for QNX...".

One thing I like about Chen is he speaks freely and honestly. He doesn't couch his words and doesn't say what he thinks we want to hear. He knows he has his hands full right now just getting the things BlackBerry already has "back on track".

I think over time, as Chen becomes more comfortable with where the company is, you will see some of what the OP is looking for but for now, sounds like it's a full time job to just "keep moving".
    02-25-14 12:33 PM
    However I am much more disappointed by BlackBerry to fall back to old habits:
    BBM for Windows Phone - announced, will come sometime this summer. Too late IMO.
    and yet "quite a few people" that doesn't have an iPhone 5S or C seems to be having bug issues with BBM. I will get flamed for this but everyone that i know (real world example) that has a iPhone 5,4,4S is having issues with their BBM due to bugs and battery drain. Sure people will say no not true (in fact i know someone will reply to this and say I'm lying theirs works fine) but for the mass population is having those issues with 4,4S and 5 believe it or not.

Those bugs need to be addressed first before any new project gets started. BBM is it's own sector now, what are they doing all day? These independent Devs like telegram for example: 5million downloads in a day with cross platform which they haven't been working on for the past 10+years like blackberry and they are just as far as BBM cross platform within a couple weeks being on the market. The funny thing is: this app is non profit so most likely this is a side project for the 2 devs vs Blackberry employees who are getting paid.

WP should have came already and all bugs for all devices should have been fixed (Android and Blackberry's seem to be flawless) Video should have already been launched to all 3 of those platforms. At this point the BBM team should be concentrating on BBM PC client like they have given us a preview of in the past and which should be launching this summer. Blackberry is way too slow and they have no breathing room to be messing around at this point of time.
    raxamillion likes this.
    02-25-14 12:48 PM
    What struck me was the scale of the presentation, itself, compared to the other competing smartphone presentations at MWC from the likes Samsung or Nokia. It's quite a contrast.

02-25-14 12:49 PM
    Overall, do you personally think with what they announced today will help them and tell the world that they are moving forward? Will this help them gain subscribers or lose them?
    I don't think that was their intent going into MWC. It's just my opinion, but I think that BBRY was there simply so that they weren't "notably absent". But again, that's just my opinion, based on Chen's comments about a very long transition. I'd even speculate that Chen had to be sold on the idea of announcing the Q20, as he wants to wash his hands free of any "soon" announcements. Personally, I think all they should have done was debut the Z3 and call it a day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB and randall2580 like this.
    02-25-14 12:52 PM
    I don't think that was their intent going into MWC. It's just my opinion, but I think that BBRY was there simply so that they weren't "notably absent". But again, that's just my opinion, based on Chen's comments about a very long transition. I'd even speculate that Chen had to be sold on the idea of announcing the Q20, as he wants to wash his hands free of any "soon" announcements. Personally, I think all they should have done was debut the Z3 and call it a day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Good answer but I guess we have a bit different views which is fine:P
    The only reason for that, since it is the biggest mobile event of the year and Blackberry cancelled their Blackberry Jam in May/June this was the time to go big. Do all the years worth of announcements now while keeping some secrets. So, we have a roadmap to at least look at.
    02-25-14 12:59 PM
    What struck me was the scale of the presentation, itself, compared to the other competing smartphone presentations at MWC from the likes Samsung or Nokia. It's quite a contrast.
    http://www.ridble.com/wp-content/upl...c-featured.jpg

http://twimages.vr-zone.net/2014/02/...19-665x443.jpg

http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/...711014_800.jpg
    to be honest Nokia or Samsung didn't even strike me as something I would look forward to. Sony is the one to beat.
    02-25-14 01:03 PM
    I like that what they announced will be here soon, instead of late Q4, or worse. The best announcements are look what we have get it next week....Bam. I am glad that Chen said he is focused on breaking even this year and return to profitable next. When they announced BB10, it was heralded as their savier, and flopped.
    wincyUt, sisko2003, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    02-25-14 01:19 PM
87 123 ...