I have a Verizon 8330 with a 4.3 OS. I"m perfectly happy with it's 4.3 OS (I have BB Smart for my HTML emails) and have no plans to upgrade the OS. And to be honest, I'm scared to upgrade, even when Verizon officially releases 4.5 - LOL! I figure I'll just wait until I move onto my next BB. Am I a freak of BB nature, or are there others out there like me ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-08 07:36 AM
    Upgrading is rather simple. Theres not too much to be afraid of. I would suggest you do some research first, but it's not a life or death thing. 9/10 you can't actually "kill" your device. Theres nothing wrong with staying on 4.3
    08-09-08 07:39 AM
    I checked out 4.5 and it didn't really offer that much more from 4.3 IMO, so I went back to 4.3 for now. I'll wait patiently til 4.5 drops for good on VZW.

08-09-08 07:45 AM
    i'm not planning on upgrading my os either. i don't need html email and i'm happy with how my curve functions now.

08-09-08 07:49 AM
    I did the same as Azeis. I thought since it had a higher number, it must be good. I had been perfectly happy with 4.3.

I wired sync 2700 appointments from Outlook 2007 every day and it takes perhaps a minute. I upgraded to 4.5 and it took at least 15 minutes. I remove 4.5 and went back.
    08-09-08 08:35 AM
    I like 4.3. I upgraded to 4.5 but email wasn't working for me so I switched back to 4.3 and will only upgrade if tmo releases 4.5 or maybe just wait for the javelin.

08-09-08 08:39 AM
    First thing I did with my 8320 was to upgrade to 4.5. No issues here, html email (this is my first BB and didn't have BB Smart etc), Docs to Go std edition all working happily.
    08-09-08 08:50 AM
    I checked out 4.5 and it didn't really offer that much more from 4.3 IMO, so I went back to 4.3 for now. I'll wait patiently til 4.5 drops for good on VZW.

Likewise. i will wait for the official release...
    08-09-08 08:51 AM
    Same here I don't see any really valid or pressing reasons to upgrade my O.S.
    08-09-08 08:59 AM
    Still sitting on 4.3. However, with the release of 4.5.0.66, I'm starting to get curious. Don't really care about HTML email, but the docs to go would be very useful. Most of the other 4.5 enhancements are already in 4.3.
    08-09-08 09:11 AM
    I had issues with one of the betas, once I got my bb back to 4.3, I decided to wait for T-mobile to release 4.5
    08-09-08 09:15 AM
    Nope, upgraded my 8330 right out of the box!

08-09-08 09:16 AM
    Nope, upgraded my 8330 right out of the box!

That's probably the best way to to do it!

I guess I'm just of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school . My Curve is so awesome as it is, I just see no reason to mess with it!

~Sheri
    08-09-08 09:23 AM
    Thats kind of how I saw it..I have heard many things both ways, but with my luck, I would mess it up, so I am leaving it as is for now..
    08-09-08 09:38 AM
    That's probably the best way to to do it!

I guess I'm just of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school . My Curve is so awesome as it is, I just see no reason to mess with it!

~Sheri
    I don't understand that reasoning. If you take the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach and 4.3 is awesome, why would you upgrade at all? After all 4.3 isn't broke, and you see no need to to mess with it. I'm not being an a $ $, but if you sit back and look at what is posted, it somewhat contradicts itself. I believe your main concern is bricking your device, although I did see you say you may not upgrade when a Official release comes out. Nothing is to say the Official release installation will be flawless. That being said, as I already posted, nothing is wrong with not upgrading. If you're content, you're content. FYI: the 4.5 OS is virtually done, and it's not going to get much better than the .66 build. Regardless, I totally respect your decision and in no way am I saying you should upgrade. But if it's perfect, not broke, and you see no need to mess with it, then it's pointless to be concerned with 4.5 in the slightest.
    08-09-08 10:03 AM
    Any idea when the new version will be officially released? I would really like html email - but I am a new BB user and hesitant to try to do an upgrade myself. (Is BBSmart the best html email app?)
    08-09-08 10:10 AM
    Any idea when the new version will be officially released? I would really like html email - but I am a new BB user and hesitant to try to do an upgrade myself. (Is BBSmart the best html email app?)
    I believe most people prefer Empower. I will help you upgrade your OS later this afternoon if you have time and are up to it. It's very simple and the entire process should not take more than 45 minutes to an hour max! PM me if you want to take me up on the offer.
    08-09-08 10:38 AM
    Initially I was going to stick with 4.3 and wait for a 4.5 official release, but then curiosity got the best of me so I tried out the latest CDMA beta, .66. It was surprisingly easy to upgrade and haven't had any issues with stability. The html email is alright, I have issues with it downloading not downloading images (and this is after multiple battery pulls). But for me, since it didnt break anything that was already working, I'm staying with it.
    08-09-08 10:43 AM
    Mine was the official Orange version.
    08-09-08 10:49 AM
    I ran 4.5 for a few days, html was underwhelming since you have to allow the pics, the deal killer was not being able to play music in standby, then there's the whole unable to scroll around in WAP input areas, meh, I'll happily stick with 4.3 for a while longer..
    Just my .02

08-09-08 12:07 PM
    I will upgrade to 4.5, but I am waiting for the official release from VZW. I would just rather be patient and wait for the finished product.
    08-09-08 12:12 PM
    I'm of the opinion of hilhi2005. I'll just wait for notification of the official release, then I'll upgrade.

Html email will be nice, as will docs2go though I have plenty of other options for that last.

But somehow I missed the information concerning lack of ability to scroll in wap areas...this will brand me as still a newbie after several months of bb ownership, but how does this affect the usefulness? I guess what I really need to know is what is considered a wap area?

besiderself
    08-09-08 02:52 PM
    I know I can figure out how to install 4.5, but I'll just wait till Sprint officially releases it.
    08-09-08 03:01 PM
    I use Empower myself and love it. It's better than what the 4.5 os offers in my opinion. Myself personally have tried one of the beta's and dropped back down to the 4.3 os. I can wait for Verizons official release but I don't want to lose my Empower html email because it kicks a$$. If you're really just looking for the html, get Empower or the BB Smart as 4.5 html really doesn't hold a candle to them.

08-09-08 03:10 PM
    I'm of the opinion of hilhi2005. I'll just wait for notification of the official release, then I'll upgrade.

Html email will be nice, as will docs2go though I have plenty of other options for that last.

But somehow I missed the information concerning lack of ability to scroll in wap areas...this will brand me as still a newbie after several months of bb ownership, but how does this affect the usefulness? I guess what I really need to know is what is considered a wap area?

besiderself
    What I just did, quoting you and replying you can not do on 4.5, there's no going past existing or scrolling backwards to correct SureType when posting in wap from the 4.5 browser, you still can in opera, it's not that huge of a deal, just a bug that I don't really care for..

08-09-08 03:11 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD