Personally, I really don't like glass or smooth backs to phones. And typically, I don't like putting a case on my phone. So I've always been a fan of the textured back. And depending on the model, far fewer finger prints.

Anyone else happy Blackberry continued the tradition of textured backs?-20190816_033557869_ios.jpg
    08-15-19 10:42 PM
    yes!
    08-15-19 11:50 PM
    Yes I prefer textured over glass all day, every day!
    08-16-19 01:25 AM
    That's another yes.
    08-16-19 02:39 AM
    I love the textured backs and it would be nice if they were more easily swappable for different types. Like the Nokia's were, but backs only.
    08-16-19 04:36 AM
    I am liking the textured back on the BlackBerry phones but I put a case on all my phones so it does not really matter what the back material is like.
    08-16-19 08:03 AM
    My BE KeyOne feels so darn good naked and as BlackBerry intended. It feels purposeful. My S9 and daughters XR feel fragile and slippery. The perceived premium materials are moot because you have to put a case on those devices right away. Either textured OR polycarbonate, like the new Pixel 3a line and Key 2LE is the way to go.
    skilas likes this.
    08-17-19 05:53 PM
    Just told my girlfriend yesterday, that another unique and handy feature of Blackberries are the textured backs and that it is cool, that BlackBerry(Mobile) is keeping them.
    08-18-19 05:00 AM
    yes. textured back with BlackBerry logo is cool.
    08-18-19 09:50 AM
    Textured back assists grasp which is much more essential to PKB than to vkb. Inciteful call on BB/TCL's part. Imo.

I question the "rubber's" impact on heat rejection but it IS possible to formulate "rubber" with useful heat rejection properties. Since my K's frequently complain of over heating in elevated temperature industrial environments, they could use some additional heat rejection capacity in their design, tho. Imo. My Classic also complains of overheat frustratingly frequently. Something my 9930 has NEVER done. Fwiw. Never knew if the alarms pertain to battery? The fiber mat back on 9900 affords significantly better heat conductivity than polycarb... and it's in pretty direct contact with that design's swappable battery. ??? That fiber mat back managed to "squeegee grip" skin texture surprisingly well. Fwiw.

Caution with alcohol! My K1 took an unfortunate swim in nearly 200 proof (100%) ethanol! (Ethanol plants are some of my client base) Much of the "rubber" back covering melted off and also the back plate itself separated from the frame. Lol. I blew it off with compressed air and it still works! Some alcohol made it under the screen & left streaks in it tho. Lol. It now lives in a snap over protector that holds it all together. That assembly fits a belt clip contraption that truly improves grasp! The poor thing now suffers terrible heat rejection. I now carry LE and havent let it take alcohol baths yet. Lol.
    08-18-19 04:25 PM
    I hate slippery glass backs, even though I always use a thin case. the only phone that went naked for 4 1/2 years was my BB9000. never dropped it.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion>S7 active
    08-18-19 06:49 PM
    Textured back assists grasp which is much more essential to PKB than to vkb. Inciteful call on BB/TCL's part. Imo.

I question the "rubber's" impact on heat rejection but it IS possible to formulate "rubber" with useful heat rejection properties. Since my K's frequently complain of over heating in elevated temperature industrial environments, they could use some additional heat rejection capacity in their design, tho. Imo. My Classic also complains of overheat frustratingly frequently. Something my 9930 has NEVER done. Fwiw. Never knew if the alarms pertain to battery? The fiber mat back on 9900 affords significantly better heat conductivity than polycarb... and it's in pretty direct contact with that design's swappable battery. ??? That fiber mat back managed to "squeegee grip" skin texture surprisingly well. Fwiw.

Caution with alcohol! My K1 took an unfortunate swim in nearly 200 proof (100%) ethanol! (Ethanol plants are some of my client base) Much of the "rubber" back covering melted off and also the back plate itself separated from the frame. Lol. I blew it off with compressed air and it still works! Some alcohol made it under the screen & left streaks in it tho. Lol. It now lives in a snap over protector that holds it all together. That assembly fits a belt clip contraption that truly improves grasp! The poor thing now suffers terrible heat rejection. I now carry LE and havent let it take alcohol baths yet. Lol.
    I agree the textured back is important for pkbs. But on an interesting note, 4 of the 5 phones in my photo have no pkb. They are all vkb. So I would go as far as saying the textured backs are important for all phone. lol
    08-19-19 02:16 PM
    I agree the textured back is important for pkbs. But on an interesting note, 4 of the 5 phones in my photo have no pkb. They are all vkb. So I would go as far as saying the textured backs are important for all phone. lol
    Yep, grasp is a good thing. I also think the texture provides a little "stick" to prevent handset from sliding out of pocket while bending, etc.
    08-19-19 02:38 PM
    Glass back is one of the worst trends in smartphone history.

Pointless, fragile, fingerprint magnet, adds zero ergonomic benefit.

And no, you don't need a glass back to get wireless charging.
    08-26-19 10:41 AM
    Glass back is one of the worst trends in smartphone history.

Pointless, fragile, fingerprint magnet, adds zero ergonomic benefit.

And no, you don't need a glass back to get wireless charging.
    I agree. I use a case anyway which helps.
    08-26-19 11:41 AM
    I agree. I use a case anyway which helps.
    Cases are mandatory with pretty much every smartphone, sadly

Some would do much better than others in the event of a drop on hard surface though, and by some I mean devices like the Pixel 3a and KEY2 LE due to the more flexible shock absorbing nature of polycarbonate vs glass, and of course the weight. Since the above have glass displays like everything else, a tempered glass protector is necessary.
    08-26-19 12:47 PM
    In my opinion textured backs have been what made blackberries so comfortable to use. I would like to see leather back again but propably that's too much to hope for.
    08-26-19 03:28 PM
    Nah. I haven't used a case in years. Maybe I'm lucky or just plain careful but I've never had any issues.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-26-19 03:34 PM
    Nah. I haven't used a case in years. Maybe I'm lucky or just plain careful but I've never had any issues.
    You’re doing it wrong.
    08-26-19 04:05 PM
    You’re doing it wrong.
    Or conversely, I'm doing it really right.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-26-19 04:14 PM
    I've dropped my phones several times. Have never used a case. Been very lucky with how they dropped. My Motion's aluminum trim definitely has nicks at the corners. The couple of times it happened was because I went to slide it into my pocket, and missed... Nothing like that 2s of pure panic as you realize it's falling.
    08-28-19 12:08 PM

Some would do much better than others in the event of a drop on hard surface though, and by some I mean devices like the Pixel 3a and KEY2 LE due to the more flexible shock absorbing nature of polycarbonate vs glass, and of course the weight. Since the above have glass displays like everything else, a tempered glass protector is necessary.
    Never had a scratch or chip on my key one and I still don't have my key 2. And yes both were dropped several times and they never got so much as a Nick anywhere are other than on the aluminium frame. And absolutely no damage to either keyboard as yet
    12-10-19 03:21 AM
    It seems pointless to design a smartphone that needs a case for use in the real world, I've owned a few non-BlackBerrys and they were so slick you needed a skin case just to keep from dropping it! So yes, BB keep making smartphones with grippable backs.
    the_boon and momsthename like this.
    12-14-19 11:04 AM
    I have a simple case for my KEYone to protect the camera lens, but no cases on any other phones.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-14-19 03:34 PM
    It's definitely a plus having a nice grippy back. I like to go tax-free.

The other phones I currently rotate with are the LG G8 and OP7 Pro. Both are so slick a case is an unfortunate necessity.
    momsthename likes this.
    12-15-19 10:41 PM
26 12