...It's about being able to actually interact with 2 apps at the same time...
    Me thinks some people may have missed this part.
    pantlesspenguin and howarmat like this.
    12-27-12 11:41 AM
    It's not like multi-tasking is anything new, and it's not something new with BB10 (as old versions of BB have always been able to multi-task). Android has always been able to multi-task. Any OS can and does multi-task (though iOS intentionally hinders it a bit).

The commercial isn't about being able to run two apps at the same time. It's about being able to actually interact with 2 apps at the same time, which is a challenge for a UI on a device with a small screen and very little screen real estate. There simply wasn't much emphasis on providing UI elements to support it until the advent of pads, tablets, and larger phones, made it worthwhile.
    Well said. As much as we keep touting BB10, what phone OS other than Android can I go out and buy right now and get interactive multitasking? AFAIK, none.

I'm believing BB10 will blow the socks off everything else, when it comes out, but we only have videos and opinions slanted as much as the Android commercials posted above. And there's the fact that none of these OSes came off Mount Sinai with the 10 Commandments. Anything made by man is going to have glitches. Some larger, some smaller. But, once it gets to the public, BB10 is likely to still have bugs and probably do things differently than the way somebody wants it done.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-27-12 11:42 AM
    Well said. As much as we keep touting BB10, what phone OS other than Android can I go out and buy right now and get interactive multitasking? AFAIK, none.

I'm believing BB10 will blow the socks off everything else, when it comes out, but we only have videos and opinions slanted as much as the Android commercials posted above. And there's the fact that none of these OSes came off Mount Sinai with the 10 Commandments. Anything made by man is going to have glitches. Some larger, some smaller. But, once it gets to the public, BB10 is likely to still have bugs and probably do things differently than the way somebody wants it done.
    You can read the reviews on any of them to see someone else always wants something done differently. No matter how hard a manufacturer tries, some jackstrap is gonna whine and bellyache. Can't please all of the people all of the time.
    pantlesspenguin and 416to604 like this.
    12-27-12 11:59 AM
    I haven't used image search in a while, thought I'd try it out with one of the paintings at home. Worked right the first time, even scanning at an odd angle.

http://i.imgur.com/AUiHM.png

http://i.imgur.com/jDihO.png
    I went back and tried the visual search again. I apologize, it is a lot better than it was when I used it last. Last time I used it, a couple of months ago, it couldn't even recognize the coke logo.
    12-27-12 01:09 PM
    I have Seen this commercial. I think it's interesting.
    12-27-12 01:12 PM
    So, as I understand it on the Galaxy devices, the new LG devices you can have the 2 apps side by side able to easily move between one or the other, instead of this antiquated in and out paradigm of multitasking? Sorry I had to do it (again).
    00stryder likes this.
    12-27-12 04:00 PM
    So, as I understand it on the Galaxy devices, the new LG devices you can have the 2 apps side by side able to easily move between one or the other, instead of this antiquated in and out paradigm of multitasking? Sorry I had to do it (again).
    To clarify for those that haven't used it. LG's multitasking on the Optimus G is different than Samsung's. LG allows you to stack two apps on top of each other and then you can see both using a transparency slider. For example you can be watching a movie. Get bored and slide the transparency then go to the home screen and do anything you want on the phone while the movie continues to play. It kinda blends two running applications and their screens into one and its actually more useful than it sounds. I didn't think I would care for that feature. But I find myself using it pretty often. Just as often as i used Samsung's multiple window approach on Galaxy devices I've owned.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    12-27-12 05:17 PM
    OMG two apps open at the same time! ;p

BB10 will face stomp
    I can do that and more on my old 9800. Right now I have TuneIn radio playing, Twitter and FB open while reading a web page.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-27-12 05:27 PM
    To clarify for those that haven't used it. LG's multitasking on the Optimus G is different than Samsung's. LG allows you to stack two apps on top of each other and then you can see both using a transparency slider. For example you can be watching a movie. Get bored and slide the transparency then go to the home screen and do anything you want on the phone while the movie continues to play. It kinda blends two running applications and their screens into one and its actually more useful than it sounds. I didn't think I would care for that feature. But I find myself using it pretty often. Just as often as i used Samsung's multiple window approach on Galaxy devices I've owned.
    That LG thing sounds pretty cool and useful too.
    12-27-12 05:29 PM
    This transparency style seems far more useful than the 2 apps sharing screen space. Seems like a pretty cool feature. I just wonder, however, if this would be quicker than the BB10 active frames. What I mean is, to flick up and click to bring up an app, or to bring up the slider, adjust, and swap apps. I can't say from experience but as I run it in my head, it seems time consuming and not something easily done one handed and on the go. The major benefit I could see, is being able to read what's beneath while typing out an email or IM.
    12-27-12 05:29 PM
    you cannot remove the android player, unfortunately.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh snap!
    12-27-12 11:31 PM
    Sorry to hijack the thread, just had to point out that those commercials immensely overstate the performance of these products.
    exactly. remember the initial playbook commercial? the one that got me excited? the one that got me to go out and by it the week it released? ya that one... total lies. had few if any of the features it showcased not to mention a different ui in some cases. felt so ripped off. os2 is what it should have been released with. as much as I support rim, I'm not falling for the same thing twice. I'll be waiting a month to see the reviews.
    Saiga and randall2580 like this.
    12-28-12 12:09 AM
    exactly. remember the initial playbook commercial? the one that got me excited? the one that got me to go out and by it the week it released? ya that one... total lies. had few if any of the features it showcased not to mention a different ui in some cases. felt so ripped off. os2 is what it should have been released with. as much as I support rim, I'm not falling for the same thing twice. I'll be waiting a month to see the reviews.
    People tend to forget the disaster that the PB was on launch. Sales (or lack thereof) speak to it.
    12-28-12 02:59 AM
    If you're going to disagree, at least don't do it based on pull-it-out-your-arse assumptions and probable ignorance. I'm a BB guy for a long time running an Android until BB gets back in the game, and had my carrier had a viable alternative, I'd still be using one. Be biased, but don't whiz in peoples' faces without knowledge to back it up. Fact is, I've been able to enjoy two rather excellent handsets in the last year that haven't made me regret spending the one-quarter of what I would have spent on a 9930. The only thing I've had to do without is BBM, the only regret I have had.

BB 10 will have to blow the competition away, to at least keep in the battle. Many things I see are looking good, and that is appreciated. It will have to be top shelf, because the competition isn't sleeping.
    You know, thank you.

I'm on my third Android device. The only one that lagged so much I *gave* it away before it was returned to me was the Atrix, back in mid 2011, and when Rickroller and Howarmat told me to get rid of MotoBlur and I did, it was a different device.
    I had minimal if any lag on the Skyrocket, certainly many many times less than the hourglassing on my 9900, which I have to reboot rather frequently, meaning at least once a week. And I have not had one single freeze or lag on my SGIII, which I've been using now as my primary device for over two weeks.
    People need to get a reality check and research facts, or better yet, get their hands on these devices, before posting processed bovine feed.
    12-28-12 03:03 AM
    Exactly!

Some people here seem to forget that RIM has always been fairly good at making things look better than they really are before they launched. I've fell for it a few times now from them. Starting with the 9530. For how horrible and craptacular the 9530 was, RIM still had enough people hyped up for it that I actually had to spend time waiting in line to purchase mine on release day.

The PlayBook is another great example. So many people here were expecting that thing to do incredibly things. It was gonna be a game changer. Saying QNX makes iOS and Android look antique. QNX powers*nuclear power plants and never needs a reboot. Remember all of that stuff? The PlayBook was a paper weight on launch day.

Even the os 7 BlackBerry pre launch videos and marketing got people over hyped. I remember seeing a Bold 99 video where the RIM employe made the phone look blistering fast and completely lag free. Then the 99 launched and that really wasn't the case until after several OS updates. The 99 is still the best BB launched to date, but it hour glassed like crazy on launch day. And now the os updates have went from helping to hurting it.

Anyone that owns one knows what I am talking about. You update a OS 7.1 BlackBerry these days and you almost always run into a feature that gets broken. I've personally had Bold 99 OS updates that broke my mobile hotspot and a few different ones that broke my ability to add or edit word substitution entries. Plus, each update seems to make mine hour glass more than the previous one did. I've never had to wipe and downgrade a BB os as many times as I have on my 99. Which scares the crap out of me, because RIM has shown that they still suck at pushing good updates to devices. And with BB10 we won't have the ability to use the tools I use today. Right now we can use hybrids and BBHtools to fix RIM's continuous mistakes with each os update, but with BB10 we will just be stuck with whatever broken or non broken update they decide to push.

Lot of people are still willing to get hyped up before a BlackBerry launch. I'm not though. I believe in setting my expectations as low as possible, so that way its less likely that I get disappointed.
    AbuYazeedUK and phylez like this.
    12-28-12 08:00 AM
    Another droid thread, wtf, thought I was on Crackberry, excuse me while I change my url ..........
    missing_K-W likes this.
    12-28-12 03:46 PM
    Well it did say droid in the title.
    All that was needed was to bypass the thread completely.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Saiga and randall2580 like this.
    12-28-12 03:53 PM
    I came to see your sexy smile and bedroom eyes, don't let it go to your head though.
    Well it did say droid in the title.
    All that was needed was to bypass the thread completely.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-28-12 04:12 PM
    BB10 makes iOS and Android look antiquated. Android running two apps is a guaranteed stutter fest. I want no part of it.
    LOL, i wonder how up to date you are with android, your statement has merit post jelly bean and project butter
    12-28-12 06:03 PM
    I can do that and more on my old 9800. Right now I have TuneIn radio playing, Twitter and FB open while reading a web page.
    yea, but the ad isn't about having them open at the same time alone...its about being able to interact with them both at the same time...
    12-28-12 06:10 PM
    The PlayBook is another great example. So many people here were expecting that thing to do incredibly things. It was gonna be a game changer. Saying QNX makes iOS and Android look antique. QNX powers*nuclear power plants and never needs a reboot. Remember all of that stuff? The PlayBook was a paper weight on launch day.
    I always find that those most frustrated with a purchase are those that bought it on impulse or for what they thought it would do rather than what it actully does. Regardless of the hype.

I'm not delusional, the Playbook isn't the best tablet on the market. IMO, there isn't one at all, but I will defend it against those that bought it for the wrong reasons and proclaim its worthlessness.

My company bought its first Playbook around May of 2011 and it did exactly what we wanted it to do. We liked it so much, we bought more and use them in our business daily. The small form factor, dual HD cameras, Bridge and solid hardware at time of launch made this perfect for us. OS updates, new apps added daily and functionality like Print To Go have only made it better.

We can shoot video out of the front facing camera or capture audio with the voice notes app and then multi-task to the browser or a Bridge app or any number of other apps all the while the video/audio is still captured. I can tell you no other tablet could do that on launch day back in 2011. Maybe some can do it now, I am not sure but I posed this question to some of the brightest minds on Crackberry and they said the Playbook was the only one.

Even at nearly two years old, this tablet still has features (some from launch) that no other tablet has so it is now and was then far from a "paper weight".
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 12-28-12 at 06:20 PM. Reason: P!$$ poor grammar!
    12-28-12 06:15 PM
    If you're going to disagree, at least don't do it based on pull-it-out-your-arse assumptions and probable ignorance. I'm a BB guy for a long time running an Android until BB gets back in the game, and had my carrier had a viable alternative, I'd still be using one. Be biased, but don't whiz in peoples' faces without knowledge to back it up. Fact is, I've been able to enjoy two rather excellent handsets in the last year that haven't made me regret spending the one-quarter of what I would have spent on a 9930. The only thing I've had to do without is BBM, the only regret I have had.

BB 10 will have to blow the competition away, to at least keep in the battle. Many things I see are looking good, and that is appreciated. It will have to be top shelf, because the competition isn't sleeping.
    I disagree. Very much so
    12-28-12 06:19 PM
    Another droid thread, wtf, thought I was on Crackberry, excuse me while I change my url ..........
    That's why all the great forum members have moved on to the other site. We don't see them here anymore
    12-28-12 06:26 PM
    I always find that those most frustrated with a purchase are those that bought it on impulse or for what they thought it would do rather than what it actully does. Regardless of the hype.

I'm not delusional, the Playbook isn't the best tablet on the market. IMO, there isn't one at all, but I will defend it against those that bought it for the wrong reasons and proclaim its worthlessness.
    Cool story except I never bought a PlayBook. I've owned 3 of them, but I didn't spend a single cent on any of them. RIM just likes to give things away.

Many people here will defend or bash a device simply because they actually had to spend money on it. Those people are what most would call a consumer. I'm not really what you would consider to be a typical consumer. I haven't bought a RIM product since the 9650 came out. Yet I still manage to have a few of the latest BlackBerry devices laying on my desk right now. I've owned or extensively borrowed from manufactures nearly 40 different smartphones/tablets this year. So when I say something is a paperweight, its not because I bought it on an impulse and then became sad and frustrated that it don't have Netflix. It is because I looked at it objectively, compared it with it's competitors and then determined that it is in fact a paperweight.
    phylez likes this.
    12-28-12 06:40 PM
    smh

10chars
    12-28-12 06:44 PM
57 123