OMG two apps open at the same time! ;p

BB10 will face stomp
    12-26-12 08:43 PM
    Do you have a link to the video? Also, where they talking about the two apps using the newer split screen option?
    12-26-12 08:48 PM
    Its the verizon commercial with the guy breaking down the room with a lamp shade or something. Anyways, the point is that android is trying to market that their phone can "run two apps simultaneously" with a software hack addon. **** my playbook can run at least 6 alone!

The point is that if the marketing ploy of multiple apps running, is going to be the game, then BB10 will facestomp all the others EZ mode.
    12-26-12 08:59 PM
    Cool... I'll have to watch for it.
    12-26-12 09:10 PM
    I dunno how RIM can come up with a multitasking commercial that can illustrate off the point better than the Note split window commercials.

A better suggestion: RIM should make one like this for their time shifting camera app. It really is the best feature of the phone to show off in a 30 second commercial.

They should try to also show other unique features like this one.

12-26-12 09:56 PM
    BB10 makes iOS and Android look antiquated. Android running two apps is a guaranteed stutter fest. I want no part of it.
    12-26-12 10:11 PM
    BB10 makes iOS and Android look antiquated. Android running two apps is a guaranteed stutter fest. I want no part of it.
    Except its not a stutter fest at all. You do know that they have updated Android since the Froyo days right? But let me guess, you're just assuming it will be a stutter fest. Am I right?

Have you used Samsung's multitasking on the latest Jelly Bean powered Galaxy devices? It works very well. Have you used the multitasking on the Optimus G? That is a ICS device, yet it still has no stutters running two apps on one screen.

Lag hasn't been a serious problem for Android since Gingerbread. With the release of Ice Cream Sandwich, Android became pretty darn stutter-free. Then Jelly Bean came out and cured the Android lag all together. Jelly Bean is a major overhaul of Android. It isn't like it used to be. People can refuse to accept that reality if they'd like, but it doesn't change the facts.

Its cool to be excited about BB10 and all. But you really shouldn't repeat nonsense. It isn't 2010 anymore and Android runs pretty freaking smooth these days.
    12-26-12 10:33 PM
    Except its not a stutter fest at all. You do know that they have updated Android since the Froyo days right? But let me guess, you're just assuming it will be a stutter fest. Am I right?

Have you used Samsung's multitasking on the latest Jelly Bean powered Galaxy devices? It works very well. Have you used the multitasking on the Optimus G? That is a ICS device, yet it still has no stutters running two apps on one screen.

Lag hasn't been a serious problem for Android since Gingerbread. With the release of Ice Cream Sandwich, Android became pretty darn stutter-free. Then Jelly Bean came out and cured the Android lag all together. Jelly Bean is a major overhaul of Android. It isn't like it used to be. People can refuse to accept that reality if they'd like, but it doesn't change the facts.

Its cool to be excited about BB10 and all. But you really shouldn't repeat nonsense. It isn't 2010 anymore and Android runs pretty freaking smooth these days.
    I so happen to disagree. Perhaps next major release. Maybe
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    12-26-12 10:51 PM
    I dunno how RIM can come up with a multitasking commercial that can illustrate off the point better than the Note split window commercials.

A better suggestion: RIM should make one like this for their time shifting camera app. It really is the best feature of the phone to show off in a 30 second commercial.

They should try to also show other unique features like this one.

Sadly, Google visual search never works this well. In fact, it rarely works at all. I have been using it since it was called Google Goggles.

Also, photosphere is really cool, but never looks that smooth in real life. Fyi, a third party app with similar capabilities will be available for BB10.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just had to point out that those commercials immensely overstate the performance of these products.
    12-27-12 12:15 AM
    Sadly, Google visual search never works this well. In fact, it rarely works at all. I have been using it since it was called Google Goggles.

Also, photosphere is really cool, but never looks that smooth in real life. Fyi, a third party app with similar capabilities will be available for BB10.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just had to point out that those commercials immensely overstate the performance of these products.
    LIES ALL LIIIEESS!!
    12-27-12 12:35 AM

You can check out real life examples of photosphere for yourself, lots and lots are shared everyday on Google plus (hash tag photosphere). Some of the vacation photos are amazing and I can't wait to try it out the next time I do the touristy thing.

Image search I agree has very limited instances where it actually works, however it's a cool feature that can sell phones. Zooey Deschanel pushed a lot of product when she takes to Siri.

What unique feature do you think RIM should showcase in a commercial?
    Last edited by notafanboy; 12-27-12 at 05:16 AM.
    12-27-12 12:55 AM
    I so happen to disagree. Perhaps next major release. Maybe
    If you're going to disagree, at least don't do it based on pull-it-out-your-arse assumptions and probable ignorance. I'm a BB guy for a long time running an Android until BB gets back in the game, and had my carrier had a viable alternative, I'd still be using one. Be biased, but don't whiz in peoples' faces without knowledge to back it up. Fact is, I've been able to enjoy two rather excellent handsets in the last year that haven't made me regret spending the one-quarter of what I would have spent on a 9930. The only thing I've had to do without is BBM, the only regret I have had.

BB 10 will have to blow the competition away, to at least keep in the battle. Many things I see are looking good, and that is appreciated. It will have to be top shelf, because the competition isn't sleeping.
    12-27-12 12:58 AM
    Don't all commercials do that?
    12-27-12 02:19 AM
    you cannot remove the android player, unfortunately.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 03:21 AM
    I

Actually those commercials actually don't even do it justice. If you have even had the opportunity to use photo sphere then you should know how well it performs . Maybe even check out some of the many available ones through Google plus and see for yourself how well they turn out.

In regards to a similar app being available on bb10 - - please, one app at a time. We're still trying to figure out if even the most popular and commonly used mobile apps are even going to be there in the first place, let alone a 3rd party contender for photo sphere that will have similar capabilities. Lol.

Edit: example of some pretty awesome photo spheres. http://www.androidcentral.com/check-...e-photo-sphere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ynomrah; 12-27-12 at 05:06 AM.
    notfanboy, MazoMark and 00stryder like this.
    12-27-12 04:54 AM
    I

Edit: example of some pretty awesome photo spheres. Check out 24 of the best Photo Sphere shots so far | Android Central
    Those are some really cool pics.
    12-27-12 05:12 AM
    What unique feature do you think RIM should showcase in a commercial?
    BBM Video with screen sharing.
    lnichols likes this.
    12-27-12 05:59 AM
    BBM Video with screen sharing.
    Yes! You are referring to that leaked screenshot which described sharing a spreadsheet and presentation with a colleague? This will show really well in commercials, and it really builds on RIM's strength: BBM and business.

But what if:
    1) you also could be editing the spreadsheet, not just viewing it...
    2) with more than two people...
    3) and those other people could be on Windows, Macs, iPhones, iPads, or Android devices?

We tried this out at work using Google Hangouts and Drive. One person on a Mac, on person on an Android phone, another on iPad. One person starts a hangout and invites the other people in the group. The other people don't have to join in a once, in fact they can join in when they are available, going in and out as necessary. The hangout host could be on any of those devices, but if you do it from a desktop, the hangout could be open all day.
    Another person now shares a spreadsheet with the group using Drive. Group member gets notification and edit the document. The Hangout chat continues on in the background, as people can talk about what they are doing.
    During simultaneous editing each user is assigned a different color. As soon as someone starts typing in a cell, the others see the borders of the cell change color - somebody is typing in it. The other people get to see the edits of the cell immediately, in real time.

Now I personally think that is really cool, but it may be too businessy and boring for TV. The best commercials are funny or touch and emotional chord.
    Last edited by notafanboy; 12-27-12 at 09:25 AM.
    00stryder and randall2580 like this.
    12-27-12 08:51 AM
    Yes! You are referring to that leaked screenshot which described sharing a spreadsheet and presentation with a colleague? This will show really well in commercials, and it really builds on RIM's strength: BBM and business.

But what if:
    1) you also could be editing the spreadsheet, not just viewing it...
    2) with more than two people...
    3) and those other people could be on Windows, Macs, iPhones, iPads, or Android devices?

We tried this out at work using Google Hangouts and Drive. One person on a Mac, on person on an Android phone, another on iPad. One person starts a hangout and invites the other people in the group. The other people don't have to join in a once, in fact they can join in when they are available, going in and out as necessary. The hangout host could be on any of those devices, but if you do it from a desktop, the hangout could be open all day.
    Another person now shares a spreadsheet with the group using Drive. Group member gets notification and edit the document. The Hangout chat continues on in the background, as people can talk about what they are doing.
    During simultaneous editing each user is assigned a different color. As soon as someone starts typing in a cell, the others see the borders of the cell change color - somebody is typing in it. The other people get to see the edits of the cell immediately, in real time.

Now I personally think that is really cool, but it may be too geeky for TV.
    How can the spreadsheet be used in realtime analytics? Say I have multiple writers onto a xlsx in Google+ how could I use that live data for a desktop application (win or mac) or link that to an online server? Is this possible?
    12-27-12 09:12 AM
    How can the spreadsheet be used in realtime analytics? Say I have multiple writers onto a xlsx in Google+ how could I use that live data for a desktop application (win or mac) or link that to an online server? Is this possible?
    Which realtime analytics applications are you thinking of? It really all depends on those applications, whether they can use a Google Drive spreadsheet as a data source. These applications are built for data integration, they can use anything from CSV to XLS to XML to database connections to SOAP web services. If they don't do it yet, integration with cloud data sources ought to be in the roadmap.
    12-27-12 09:22 AM
    I haven't used image search in a while, thought I'd try it out with one of the paintings at home. Worked right the first time, even scanning at an odd angle.

MazoMark and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-27-12 09:35 AM
    I was thinking initially of a live excel sheet and adding to DDS.
    12-27-12 09:47 AM

I'd like to agree BUT my supposedly high end android devices still lag.(one x and s3). Well its not as smooth as iOS.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    12-27-12 10:25 AM
    It's not like multi-tasking is anything new, and it's not something new with BB10 (as old versions of BB have always been able to multi-task). Android has always been able to multi-task. Any OS can and does multi-task (though iOS intentionally hinders it a bit).

The commercial isn't about being able to run two apps at the same time. It's about being able to actually interact with 2 apps at the same time, which is a challenge for a UI on a device with a small screen and very little screen real estate. There simply wasn't much emphasis on providing UI elements to support it until the advent of pads, tablets, and larger phones, made it worthwhile.
    12-27-12 11:09 AM
    So I take it that for some of you it was a "no".
    12-27-12 11:31 AM
57 123