When BB World closes it's doors, will anyone open a new door, if anything for tinkers and historical archival reasons?
    05-29-19 02:04 PM
    BBOS few archives out there... but they are fading.

BB10 there isn't a way to extract apps.... so no way to backup or archive them. Unless the developer choose to offer it.
    05-29-19 02:12 PM
    There was one member here who was going to make such an archive by contacting all the developers he could.

Haven't heard of any updates in several months. I can only guess it didn't go so well.
    05-29-19 02:28 PM
    There was one member here who was going to make such an archive by contacting all the developers he could.

Haven't heard of any updates in several months. I can only guess it didn't go so well.
    I believe the problem was that procedure wasn't followed. Petition and gofundme page weren't properly setup like the other successful endeavours. /Sarcasm again..
    05-29-19 02:30 PM
    When BB World closes it's doors, will anyone open a new door, if anything for tinkers and historical archival reasons?
    Just use Link to backup all of your apps and hope they don't EOL BBID so that you will still be able to restore them later.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    05-29-19 02:31 PM
    @TrumpetTiger

Posted via CB10
    05-29-19 02:45 PM

He got lost...Anyone archiving BB10 BBOS apps for antiquity sake?-dreams-reality.jpg
    cribble2k likes this.
    05-29-19 02:47 PM
    @TrumpetTiger

Posted via CB10
    I remember him but there was at least two others that were chasing the dream as well.
    05-29-19 03:24 PM
    I wish someone would take screenshots and flows of their favorite features. Sometimes I read on here that so-and-so misses this particular feature or that. Sometimes I think if I could see those screenshots I might make an iOS or Android app that mimics that.

We all have side projects for fun. I just wrote a static analyzer for identity policies and ACLs as a side hobby project. Maybe I’ll do an app again for fun. I’m particularly interested in the calculator app everyone used to love. I barely remember how it looked and worked now.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-29-19 03:27 PM
    I wish someone would take screenshots and flows of their favorite features. Sometimes I read on here that so-and-so misses this particular feature or that. Sometimes I think if I could see those screenshots I might make an iOS or Android app that mimics that.

We all have side projects for fun. I just wrote a static analyzer for identity policies and ACLs as a side hobby project. Maybe I’ll do an app again for fun. I’m particularly interested in the calculator app everyone used to love. I barely remember how it looked and worked now.
    Yeah... we need another calculator app.

I remember when I was a kid, pocket calculator had just come out - my teacher didn't even have one. Made doing math homework so easy. Caught my granddaughter asking SIRI for math homework answers the other day.
    05-29-19 03:53 PM
    I've still not found another "Bedside Mode" app for android?? That is the app I use the most (6-8 hours every night!).
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-29-19 04:02 PM

Calculator app and the Clock app, and I'll send you the bar files I have in my archives. I think I still have some unreleased BB10 trunk files 🤔
    05-29-19 04:09 PM
    BBOS few archives out there... but they are fading.

BB10 there isn't a way to extract apps.... so no way to backup or archive them. Unless the developer choose to offer it.
    You can, it's the decrypting the backup that's almost impossible. Someone should "leak" that tool.

Also, using DBBT or Sachesi, you can get just the individual bar files OTA, or decompile an OS, and grab whatever bar files you're looking for. As for third party apps, maybe those devs would be generous enough to share what they've made.
    05-29-19 04:13 PM
    Calculator app and the Clock app, and I'll send you the bar files I have in my archives. I think I still have some unreleased BB10 trunk files ������
    Honestly the dev tools are so old now and I don’t know which junk drawer my Dev A is even in. I don’t think I need code as much as I just need a reminder about what was cool.

I read so much about the calculator app here. I don’t remember what was so cool about it. Just a screenshot or two would be enough for me to get it. Maybe we make a collection of those here on CB for developers to learn from?
    05-29-19 04:52 PM

I read so much about the calculator app here. I don’t remember what was so cool about it. Just a screenshot or two would be enough for me to get it. Maybe we make a collection of those here on CB for developers to learn from?
    Attached Thumbnails Anyone archiving BB10 BBOS apps for antiquity sake?-img_20190529_181203.png   Anyone archiving BB10 BBOS apps for antiquity sake?-img_20190529_182003.png   Anyone archiving BB10 BBOS apps for antiquity sake?-img_20190529_181220.png   Anyone archiving BB10 BBOS apps for antiquity sake?-img_20190529_181226.png   Anyone archiving BB10 BBOS apps for antiquity sake?-img_20190529_181336.png  

app_Developer and Mecca EL like this.
    05-29-19 05:21 PM
    [screenshots]
    Thanks. There isn't anything there that lots of calculators haven't done already. But I guess people want exactly those features in that layout?

That wouldn't be hard at all on iOS or Android if people are interested.
    BlueOhSix and astrodan13 like this.
    05-29-19 08:01 PM
    Thanks. There isn't anything there that lots of calculators haven't done already. But I guess people want exactly those features in that layout?

I think it has more to do with familiarity and perhaps the ui (colours, layout) than functionality. Even though there are tons of calculator apps, find one that LOOKS like this one.
    05-29-19 08:19 PM
    I'm sure Zinqs would love to hear from CB Forums about the new calculator project...

Whatever happened to guy that promised him all the BB10 die-hard support?
    05-29-19 08:48 PM
    I'm sure Zinqs would love to hear from CB Forums about the new calculator project...

He DID got all the die-hard support. That's the problem. Lol.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-29-19 09:01 PM
    You can, it's the decrypting the backup that's almost impossible. Someone should "leak" that tool.

Also, using DBBT or Sachesi, you can get just the individual bar files OTA, or decompile an OS, and grab whatever bar files you're looking for. As for third party apps, maybe those devs would be generous enough to share what they've made.
    I think this is more about the third party apps. The native apps are easy enough to pull from any Blitz file or the files downloaded from the BB servers that are used to make autoloaders.

So far, there have only been a few developers that have made their apps available.

I have in my own collection:

• bPod - podcast app released by the developer here on these forums early last year.
    • bbDownloader - forget what it was for now, but might have been to download OS files.
    • RetroArch - an old version that I never ended up using.
    • GBA-bb - a GameBoy Advanced emulator from 2014, but found the regular android version to work better.
    • Mupen64Plus-BB - A Nintendo 64 emulator that I also never ended up using, but found is still on my hard drive.
    • Snap - the original Google Play app downloader that the developer just quit on when he never updated for 10.3 (IIRC).

Only bPod is on my Z10 today.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-29-19 09:45 PM

From my experience, it's just a lack of understanding that the features they desire are already replicated elsewhere. Not just in the calculator app, it's something that can be applied to several BB10 apps people are fond of. Whether it be because they don't know where to look, don't care to look, or just simply can't find whatever app contains them. You don't know, what you don't know.
    05-30-19 10:26 AM

Most of them were still on BB10, they didn't want a BB10 launcher for Android.

Those of us that found it interesting... were waiting for it to get out of beta. But it was still a ways from being something you could charge for, and not sure they'd have gotten many buyers.
    05-30-19 03:03 PM
    06-30-19 01:39 PM
    Just use Link to backup all of your apps and hope they don't EOL BBID so that you will still be able to restore them later.
    That's a "maybe" plan for a single user. I think the OP was interested in a more permanent archive for general interest/use, which would require dev support.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-30-19 03:00 PM
    Others have worked on it before... I wish you the best of luck, but suggest that you don't share any success that you might have, as even now I'd expect BlackBerry to patch it so that you couldn't do it. Just download it all or PM a few key BB10 fans and you get together downloading files.
    07-01-19 11:51 AM