I got "universal screen protectors" (I believe that they are just Sprint brand...), and I cut it PERFECTLY -- so perfectly, in fact, that it took me almost an hour. Well, the issue I'm having is that the edges keep lifting up, and it collects dust and lint under there, which is gross. I made sure to cut it so that it is just the tiniest bit away from the edge so that it wouldn't like get stuck and lifted up along the crease between the screen and the shell part, but it is still doing it! No matter how hard I press it down (I use that little credit card looking thing) and make it adhere to the screen, it peels up within an hour. What's up with that? Is there any way to fix it and get it to actually stick?

Much thanks!!
    01-17-09 01:32 PM
    Sorry can't help you with the generic protectors, but if you buy something like Invisible Shields they have a lifetime warranty. So if they ever scratch, or come off you can get free replacements by contacting the manufacturer.
    01-17-09 01:42 PM
    Why you so worried that the screen will get scratched? You carry it in the same pocket as your car keys? It's just a phone
    01-17-09 01:48 PM
    Use more precise and sharp scissors. The scissors you are using might be causing the plastic to curl slightly at edge when you cut it. Or maybe the plastic is curled from the factory when it was on the roll.
    01-17-09 03:01 PM
    Hi Cara, I know you're specifically referring to the "edges" of these screen protectors but I thought I'd share a neat little trick for pesky corners: I usually trim the corners into a rounded corner maybe only about 1-2cm to prevent anything from accidentally lifting it and ruining the adhesive from staying on the screen
    01-17-09 03:04 PM
    Sorry can't help you with the generic protectors, but if you buy something like Invisible Shields they have a lifetime warranty. So if they ever scratch, or come off you can get free replacements by contacting the manufacturer.
    i second this, checkout these sites
    Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page
    ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield
    Home - Case-Mate
    01-17-09 03:07 PM
    Gosh Taryon....that's a wayyy too smart solution. Great idea!

claire
    01-17-09 03:08 PM
    Hi Cara, I know you're specifically referring to the "edges" of these screen protectors but I thought I'd share a neat little trick for pesky corners: I usually trim the corners into a rounded corner maybe only about 1-2cm to prevent anything from accidentally lifting it and ruining the adhesive from staying on the screen
    That's a good idea! What I'm currently doing is laying the screen protector (with the backing still on it) over the screen with the backing side up. Then I hold it still and take a sharpie to trace over it, pressing it into that little groove between the screen and the face of it. When it's all traced out, I cut it just a tiny bit SMALLER than what I traced so that it doesn't actually go all the way out to the groove, thinking that that would prevent it from peeling up. But alas, no luck. I did buy one of those silicone gel cases today (the ones that go over the back of it and wrap up the sides), and I'm hoping that that covers far enough that it overlaps the edges of the screen protector, thus making it unlikely that anything can get under there, even if it DOES start to peel up. Wish me luck!!
    01-17-09 09:21 PM
    Thank you EVERYONE for all of the suggestions!

Why you so worried that the screen will get scratched? You carry it in the same pocket as your car keys? It's just a phone
    I have a touch of phone OCD. Okay, it's a full-blown case. I can't stand fingerprints, dirt, lint, dust, scratches, dings, etc. on my phones for some odd reason! This is going to sound REALLY weird, but even if I have touched money or something, I use hand sanitizer before I'll touch my phone. LOL! If you really think about all the gross stuff out there though, I think it kind of makes sense that you wouldn't want that on your phone that is going to be so close to your face/mouth/eyes/etc. (or that's how I justify my phone OCD anyway ).

Use more precise and sharp scissors. The scissors you are using might be causing the plastic to curl slightly at edge when you cut it. Or maybe the plastic is curled from the factory when it was on the roll.
    Hmmm, that's a good idea! I'm pretty sure that it isn't curling as I cut because I am using surgical grade scissors, and they definitely were flat as a board in the packaging... Maybe I'll look into trying to cut the next one with an "exacto knife" (sp?) on a flat surface and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the links! If this whole screen protector / phone case combo doesn't work out, I'm going to look into getting that invisibleSHIELD thing!
    01-17-09 09:26 PM
    i have the protech stuff on my curve and love it they are quick at sending replace,ents too i messed up a couple pieces of mine during install sent an email showed up quicker than inital order did
    01-17-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD