would love for the gps to work with google maps i know its been discussed but any updates yet? it would be great to have the storm use the maps with gps.
    12-19-08 07:11 PM
    People keep saying this is a Google Maps issue, not a Verizon issue (i.e. Google needs to update the application for the Storm).

I personally don't think this is the case. From what I remember, when I was travelling through Europe, the GPS was active in Google Maps. My location was pinned to within 3 meters according to the application. There was no "GPS is temporarily unavailable" message. There was no light blue circle of uncertainty around my location. And from what I remember, there was a GPS option available in the GMM menu. I did notice that it took a while to lock satellites and obtain location -- I believed this was due to the lack of aGPS while roaming.

My theory is that the phone locks down the GPS when in a Verizon area. If roaming, I think the GPS opens up. Thoughts?
    12-19-08 07:45 PM
    ^^^ not 100% true... someone posted this on a g1 forum i believe and a google rep said that google is working on getting the gps to work for the storm. They are trying aGPS and if that doesnt work than he said just GPS
    12-19-08 07:53 PM
    My theory is that the phone locks down the GPS when in a Verizon area. If roaming, I think the GPS opens up. Thoughts?
    Negative. Other 3rd party apps (e.g., trapster) can use the Storm's GPS just fine in a VZW area. It's something Google needs to address in their program.
    12-19-08 07:54 PM
    Google uses cell towers to make an educated guess on your position. The more towers, the more accurate.

Mobile towers are placed by operators throughout an area to provide coverage for their users. Each of these towers has its own individual coverage area, usually split into three non-overlapping sections known as "cells." These cells come with identification numbers, but no location information. Google takes geo-contextual information [from anonymous GPS-readings, etc] and associates this information with the cell at that location to develop a database of cell locations. Based on this information, Google uses various algorithms to approximate your location relative to the cells nearest you. The accuracy of this information depends on how big an individual cell is. Thus, areas with a denser concentration of mobile towers allow for a more accurate My Location reading. Additionally, as our database of cell locations continues to improve, so too does the accuracy and coverage of the My Location feature.

Using GPS and My Location (beta) : Accuracy of location data - Mobile Help Center
    This is why I don't have g-maps installed anymore. I use nav4all and it is excellent. Turn by turn accuracy. Although Googles interface is outstanding, 1700 meters just doesn't cut it. I hear Garmin's app is the best if you want to spend $
    Last edited by cgull; 12-19-08 at 08:05 PM.
    12-19-08 07:59 PM
    Ok, perhaps just poor memory on my part. Maybe cell triangulation in Europe is a *lot* more precise than here.
    12-20-08 10:28 AM
    What are you guys talking about? Gps has worked flawlessly for me on google maps on .75, .76, and .83. It has always locked within 5 sec for me except in my house sometimes it will take up to 20 sec.
    12-20-08 10:41 AM
    Just to add a little info my google maps has always only locked on with cell towers but one day I was in an area with no coverage and google maps said it had an acurate GPS lock within so many ft. Of course I had no data signal so there was no way to be certain if it was correct or bugged.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 11:21 AM
    ok so how many of storm owners are getting gps to work on google maps.It just wont work unless google updates the software for the storm.
    12-20-08 11:37 AM
    What are you guys talking about? Gps has worked flawlessly for me on google maps on .75, .76, and .83. It has always locked within 5 sec for me except in my house sometimes it will take up to 20 sec.
    Google Maps Mobile does not currently work with the Storm's GPS. It doesn't matter if you're running .75, .76, or .83. What you're seeing is Google's "My Location" feature which uses cell tower approximation.

Google needs to update their program in order for it to interface with the Storm's GPS.
    12-20-08 11:47 AM
    Mi gps doesnt work with google maps, but it was working with my samsung i760 and my xv6800 to within a couple of feet...
    12-20-08 11:49 AM
    Google Maps Mobile does not currently work with the Storm's GPS. It doesn't matter if you're running .75, .76, or .83. What you're seeing is Google's "My Location" feature which uses cell tower approximation.

Google needs to update their program in order for it to interface with the Storm's GPS.
    Mine does. It says within 3 meters. Are you trying to say cell triangulation is that accurate? I only have 1 tower in the area to. Just an fyi my storm is unlocked and I'm using it on a gsm network. It did not work on vz. That's what the deal is I forgot about that.
    12-20-08 12:00 PM
    here is the google thread and a little FYI the google employee seems to be dodging questions

Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help
    12-20-08 12:37 PM
    Mine does. It says within 3 meters. Are you trying to say cell triangulation is that accurate? I only have 1 tower in the area to. Just an fyi my storm is unlocked and I'm using it on a gsm network. It did not work on vz. That's what the deal is I forgot about that.
    Well to my knowledge:
    1. Google's not doing triangulation; it's an approximate location to the nearest tower (Using GPS and My Location (beta) : Overview of My Location (beta) - Mobile Help Center) so you only need one tower.
    2. I'm not sure how you being on GSM changes anything, but if you say it's working, then perhaps that's a clue of what's going on. We know that the GPS isn't locked (whether you're on VZW or not).
    3. It could be that you're 3 meters from the nearest tower, but unlikely. Anything outside your window or on top of your roof?
    12-20-08 01:14 PM
    Well I had heard reports that vz service books/provisioning locked out the gps on google maps, but when you had a different carrier's settings it allowed it to access the gps. I don't really know if thats what the deal is but I can verify that it did not work when I had it activated on verizon. When I got it unlocked and got the service books sent to it from my gsm carrier it started working flawlessly. There has been some other users that have reported this same thing on their storm. There is a discussion on this very thing at howardforums and this is the conclusion that was reached over there. I'm interested to find out what is going on.
    12-20-08 01:32 PM
    12-20-08 01:46 PM
    Google maps would not use GPS on my storm, however Garmin and BB Maps both use it quite well.

I doubt Verizon is blocking only Google and not Garmin usless there was some under the table fee that needed to be paid by 3rd parties to Verizon to unlock their app (I doubt this).
    12-20-08 02:02 PM
    can someone email google and get the gps function working.or is it a dead issue and were screwed.
    12-20-08 02:24 PM
    can someone email google and get the gps function working.or is it a dead issue and were screwed.
    From the Google Maps Mobile forum, they're working on it already but won't promise a release date.
    12-20-08 02:28 PM
    My sister-in-law has the iPhone and it showed her location on Google Maps at our house. Mine says within 4600 meters, so as close to the nearest tower. 4600 meters?! I personally could guess my location in the world closer than that.
    12-20-08 02:34 PM
    Google maps would not use GPS on my storm, however Garmin and BB Maps both use it quite well.

I doubt Verizon is blocking only Google and not Garmin usless there was some under the table fee that needed to be paid by 3rd parties to Verizon to unlock their app (I doubt this).
    Hmmm.. I doubt it to, but I do know that my storm get a lock on google maps now when unlocked but when on the Verizon network it would not. I don't know what's going on lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 02:44 PM
    well i guess we will all see soon? cmon google get us the gps function!!!!
    12-20-08 04:11 PM
    Here's a screenshot to the one's that are doubting me
    12-20-08 04:18 PM
    I used Livesearch on my Treo 650P/700W/700WX and it worked great, it also worked well on my Curve. But i used a Freedom wireless Key chain GPS receiver be cause VZ only allowed the internal GPS to work on their VZN program. In fact i was told that on my Storm the GPS would ONLY work with VZN. Now I did find it works with BB maps, but when i downloaded live Search onto my storm the program would not even open. I am try Amaze now based on a recommendation from another thread, but it will not work with internal GPS. it does work with my Freedom GPS. I liked Google maps on my Treo's but it never tracked well it would allways freeze up and I had to restart GPS navigation. Live search never had that problem. If google does work with the internal or an external GPS please let me know. I am still using .76 (not brave enough to try .83....yet)
    12-21-08 11:06 AM
    ..I just use BBMaps. GPS works fine on that.
    12-21-08 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD