I go to school in Waterloo. I can safely say there is no issues like the one youve sugggested. In fact people are switching from iPhone just to follow the bbm trend. BBM groups are key to group projects and teams
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-09-11 08:53 PM
    No. They secretly are jealous of me I think.
    08-09-11 09:00 PM
    I know over 120+ people in my campus alone that i actually talk to that have bbm, forget about the others that i dont even know. In Canada, bbm is huge and same with other countries outside of us. getting my 9900 sometime this week (hoping for tomorrow with best buy XD)
    08-09-11 09:38 PM
    I know way more people with bb's than iphones or android handsets. Out in the public where I am in Northern AB I see more BBs than iphones, and far fewer Android handsets.
    08-09-11 10:21 PM
    I became the last one over a year ago. Even worse, is that almost nobody in my profession (Real Estate) uses BB's anymore either, which is one of the main reasons I moved away. I'm not usually one to follow trends, but I didn't really have much of a choice. I'm still watching to see where RIM goes with the Berry's in the future though. I could be back!
    08-09-11 10:38 PM
    Virtually everyone in my social group uses Blackberry. and the one person with an iPhone we consider slightly crazy.
    Haha, same here. I was actually the last in my group to go to a smartphone, and BB was an obvious choice for my work (plus I love anything Canadian, and I've been trying to find and buy a Canadian-made BlackBerry ever since). I came from a 12-year-old Nokia 6190 so it's been quite an adjustment.

The one guy with an iPhone gets ridiculed whenever we get a BBM message.
    08-09-11 11:44 PM
    I have a grip of friends still on bb. bbm is the new aim in l.a.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 12:09 AM
    where i come from, middle east, most people have a BB. my home country UAE, you would honestly look odd without a BB! My whole house of 9 has BB's except for my parents whom not very tech savvy lol. if you have an iphone, you most likely have a BB in the other pocket lol. Where i study in Malaysia, still, BB is very popular, specially with Indonesians, its cheap (think curve 9300), works great and keeps you connected socially.

My BBM keeps me connected with all, and i mean all of my daily friends here, and my freelance work mate back home, honestly i dont remember when was that last time i topped up my credit since the network seems to have messed up and is not charging me for my BIS, point is BBM is saving me loads of credit every month lol.

Even though BBs are not as popular as they used to be in US, theres a whole world beyond US. And not everyone can afford an iPhone, unless its locals on a contract plan.

PS. you can probably tell im typing from a PB from the amount of mistakes lol
    That's very good to know BB is still strong outside the U.S. perhaps that will allow them more time to re-group and produce an iphone / droid killer worthy of mention.
    08-10-11 12:13 AM
    My entire family, my closest friends, and my woman all use 'Berries. What's an iPhone again?

All I see are teeny-boppers, 24 year olds who live with their parents, and mid life crisis sufferers using iPhones. I don't think I've actually seen an Android device in use at all...
    08-10-11 01:21 AM
    Hey y'all
    I have a BB Torch 9800 and I love it. Best Smartphone I ever had. Now I'm waiting for the new Bold 9900 to appear in Europe. Lately I got an iPhone for my wife because she really wanted one... after a couple of days she came to me saying "can I please have my BlackBerry back"? So she is back on her BB Curve and we sent that iPhone back. I gues that says it all!
    Last edited by steinergstaad; 08-10-11 at 02:43 AM.
    08-10-11 02:41 AM
    I'll just answer the question in the topic:
    No.
    However, my social groups don't revolve around cell phones, nor has the issue of "Oh, you have which phone?" ever come up.
    But maybe this is the wrong site to post such an answer on
    Cheers!
    08-10-11 02:42 AM
    Me, my wife, and my uncle (who lives in Canada btw) are the only ones I know that own blackberries. My aunt the other day was giving me sh#t for having one, "that's a business phone...", "they no longer have the consumers needs in mind..." And I asked her if she ever used one and of course it was a big fat "No." Strange thing is she never told me these things until she got her first smartphone the samsung infuse. I guess that kind of attitude comes with the phone.

08-10-11 05:21 AM
    Wow well let's see all of my closest friends have iphone or android.. Most with iphone, and of course I have the Curve 3G. Every time I upgrade I get another BB can't imagine me having another kind of smartphone! Love Blackberry, but get this I work for T-mobile and I am the ONLY rep in my store with a blackberry.. Two reps use iphones ( one from att, one from vzw) every one else use android.. Isn't that just crazy and I'm talking personal phones we don't get company issued phones!

08-10-11 12:00 PM
    My phone is for me and only me.

But what I have noticed is that I can have conversation with someone on the Phone no matter which phone they use. Cross platform conversations work. Texts also work and we don't judge.

Most of the time I don't even know what network someone is on let alone which phone. (Unless it is Nextel since in my area Nextel has the first 3 numbers usually the same.
    08-10-11 12:21 PM
    I have 3 BBM contacts. One is a friend with an iPhone and a work BB. One never checks their messages and the third is an occasional contact.
    08-10-11 01:10 PM
    In my groups it is pretty much Apple and Android. One professional group I meet with monthly it is split between Apple and BB's. I have an iPhone and a Torch and love them both. I will be upgrading to a new Berry as soon as they hit stateside. I have no BBM contacts as we all communicate via text or Facebook. Will I give up my Berry, no love the mail, messaging, and speed of notification.
    08-10-11 01:12 PM
    I still have quite a few friends with a Berry, but quite a few have also jumped ship the past couple of years. I have about 30 BBM contacts but regularly talk to maybe just a handful of them.

I'm getting the 9900 for sure, though. I need the physical QWERTY keyboard, and there's none other better than the Bold's.
    08-10-11 01:23 PM
    My group is like 70% blackberry and 7% iphone and 3% android and, 20% dumbphone. Which is about 20 blackberry users.
    In Canada, most people that have a Blackberry have quite a few friends on blackberry, because BBM dominates social groups and helps you expand yours easily. It just makes it easier to stay in contact with others.

Just giving you a perspective of people in Ottawa who still see BB as the primary choice. If you got any other smartphone it was because you tried Blackberry and you found out you prefer the iphone or android. But seriously, android isn't big here, although it is growing.
    08-10-11 01:26 PM
    Sorry for you OP.
    But my entire social circle is on BB.
    Only my wife has an Android and that was done purposely to buy me some peace and quiet
    All my friends and their wives are on BB.
    08-10-11 01:43 PM
    No, most users I have still are on BBM because they have there other friends there. And for those who have moved, I've been able to talk them into WhatsApp, that way I've got a method to chat with the non BBM users.
    08-10-11 02:01 PM
    I've lost a few bbm friends, but I've made three times as many as I've lost. I've lost track of the amount of times I've heard "Oh you have a BlackBerry, add me too bbm" from people I've met at the clubs or the bar simply from them seeing that I use a BlackBerry too. Maybe its me, but it seems a lot easier to exchange pins rather than numbers with someone you just meet knowing that if you aren't feeling it you can just delete them and not have to worry about being stalked lol. Same with Groups. I've been a member of a few groups and have met other members that live close to me. I am pretty social so the majority of people. I meet through BBM are people that I actually meet up with for drinks or events. I think its different in Canada than the US....we still have a ton of blackberry users up here.
    08-10-11 03:13 PM
    Actually me no,
    In my country almost everyboddy uses a. Blackberry

08-10-11 10:50 PM
    Well yeah I'm sad. Like being sad as the only one still on the lifeboat. I feel bad but I'm not jumping in just so I'm with everyone else.
    08-12-11 06:21 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD