The Storm 2 has OS 5.0 and with that, it allows for smiley / smilies in the SMS. If I want to send/receive smilies, I can only do that with another person that has a BB with OS 5.0.

So my question is, are there any other non blackberry phones that can send and receive smilies with BB OS 5.0?
    01-29-10 09:14 AM
    On my Mom's old Palm Centro, it had smiley features too. She could see my smileys and i could see her's, just in our own phones format. And also, as long as the phones used the same characters to make the smileys.
    01-29-10 09:36 AM
    Well thats a start, but I guess I should have clarified; prefered to have a non QWERTY phone since the phone is for the wife and she wants a regular phone. Othewise if she liked the QWERTY I would just get a blackberry
    01-29-10 09:52 AM
    i know some of the popular "SMS Phones" have it... but i rarely use the smileys.... seems really childish to me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-10 09:55 AM
    Well thats a start, but I guess I should have clarified; prefered to have a non QWERTY phone since the phone is for the wife and she wants a regular phone. Othewise if she liked the QWERTY I would just get a blackberry
    Would she like the 8230? You could use BBM if she got one.
    01-29-10 09:59 AM
    Yeah if I have no other options, then I'll get her the Pearl or Pearl Flip. Both are QWERTY layouts tho, not the T9 layout as a regular phone.

Would prefer to have a SMS option as opposed to BBM because BBM is a different thing and so she'd have to go to a seperate place to text me (BBM) than she would when texting the rest of the world (SMS). But worse case scenario that is doable.

If I have to go the Pearl route, I was thinking to avoid the BBM and SMS confusion, maybe I'd get Empower SMS and load that up on my Storm and load it on her Pearl, that way we'd have smilies in the native SMS app?
    01-29-10 10:50 AM
    Yeah if I have no other options, then I'll get her the Pearl or Pearl Flip. Both are QWERTY layouts tho, not the T9 layout as a regular phone.

Would prefer to have a SMS option as opposed to BBM because BBM is a different thing and so she'd have to go to a seperate place to text me (BBM) than she would when texting the rest of the world (SMS). But worse case scenario that is doable.

If I have to go the Pearl route, I was thinking to avoid the BBM and SMS confusion, maybe I'd get Empower SMS and load that up on my Storm and load it on her Pearl, that way we'd have smilies in the native SMS app?
    I never used a Pearl, but Suretype sounds like it is similar to T9.
    01-29-10 11:02 AM

The 4.5/4.6 firmware platforms that are currently supported do not support the :smilie: face icons. That is only for the 5.0 firmwares. you'll need to make sure the phone you are looking at least has a 5.0 beta... the flips may be getting a 5.0 but the 81xx will not be getting one.

01-29-10 11:28 AM
    Try this: Empower Threaded SMS for Blackberry

Works on all OS 4.2 and above
    01-29-10 11:18 PM
    I think a lot of newer phones on the market support basic smile faces (happy, sad and wink). If you send a smiley to a non BB phone that either doesn't support faces or its a special BB face like the hug and kiss one, it will probably just show as its plain characters.

01-30-10 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD