NO way tiny RIM's few years of "consumer" experience ever stood a chance against Apple's decades of deeper consumer experience. Imo. Fwiw.
    This is really the whole story in a nutshell.

Apple and Google came at the smartphone from a consumption angle, and RIM from a production angle.
    idssteve likes this.
    02-25-21 08:14 AM
    Looking for some news on this also. Who has any idea. Someone here must know something?
    02-25-21 08:51 PM
    Looking for some news on this also. Who has any idea. Someone here must know something?
    We KNOW financing is still an issue. We KNOW some of the principals have taken other jobs. We KNOW they will miss their "first half of 2021" target. We KNOW they didn't release additional information back in the fall like they said they would. We KNOW BlackBerry involvement is minimal (from no acknowledgement of OM by BlackBerry with a press release or a mention at either earnings reports, and OM's statement that they will be using another cybersecurity company to secure the device). We KNOW nothing has gone to any certification body.
    02-26-21 07:31 AM
    We KNOW financing is still an issue. We KNOW some of the principals have taken other jobs. We KNOW they will miss their "first half of 2021" target. We KNOW they didn't release additional information back in the fall like they said they would. We KNOW BlackBerry involvement is minimal (from no acknowledgement of OM by BlackBerry with a press release or a mention at either earnings reports, and OM's statement that they will be using another cybersecurity company to secure the device). We KNOW nothing has gone to any certification body.
    Has anyone spoken to them about it? Is that how we know this?
    bh7171 and elfabio80 like this.
    02-26-21 09:55 AM
    Has anyone spoken to them about it? Is that how we know this?
    All publically available information - from employee LinkedIn accounts and direct statements.
    Last edited by conite; 02-26-21 at 11:47 AM.
    02-26-21 11:02 AM
    All publically available information - from LinkedIn accounts and direct statements.
    I will be surprised, if this thing actually gets launched.
    phuoc and joshualebowitz like this.
    02-26-21 11:37 AM
    My gut still says better than 50/50 that we will get something. Just later than originally anticipated, and perhaps not the kind of device we expected.
    02-26-21 11:42 AM
    My gut still says better than 50/50 that we will get something. Just later than originally anticipated, and perhaps not the kind of device we expected.
    I hope so. My Keyone is on it's last leg lol.
    02-26-21 11:50 AM
    This is really the whole story in a nutshell.

Apple and Google came at the smartphone from a consumption angle, and RIM from a production angle.
    Yep, one "angle" clearly proved superior at dominating consumer market share. Both "angles" serve some valid use cases, tho. Whether a production angle can ever prove a survivable niche remains the question. That depends on if/when entry barriers & OS limitations can ever prove surmountable.
    imo.

If a communications device is to afford "pager style" 24/7 availability to a "production angle" user, it will need to be compact enough to keep on person & in hand, and command tongue like thought to thumb communications readiness...

Since glass typing seems most precise with larger targets, I simply don't see a truly compact, Bold sized, slab proving as proficient at Bold "super pager" things as this ol Bold. PKB is part of why Bold's compactness works so well. Imo. Misapplication of poorly implemented PKB has utterly destroyed reasonable chances of seeing a truly compact 9900 upgrade over this past decade. And the damage done by poorly understood failures will likely persist well into forward time. Ug. Lol.

I'm confident that the use case retains value... Just a matter of finding innovative intersection of user value and volume/margin functions...

Grumman managed to find profitability in producing LLV for USPS... How many "consumers" rushed to purchase that niche product? ?? Lol.

Maybe BofA is entertaining some similarly unique use case? ??
    Last edited by idssteve; 02-27-21 at 08:14 AM.
    02-27-21 08:03 AM
    Yep, one "angle" clearly proved superior at dominating consumer market share. Both "angles" serve some valid use cases, tho. Whether a production angle can ever prove a survivable niche remains the question. That depends on if/when entry barriers & OS limitations can ever prove surmountable.
    imo.

If a communications device is to afford "pager style" 24/7 availability to a "production angle" user, it will need to be compact enough to keep on person & in hand, and command tongue like thought to thumb communications readiness...

Since glass typing seems most precise with larger targets, I simply don't see a truly compact, Bold sized, slab proving as proficient at Bold "super pager" things as this ol Bold. PKB is part of why Bold's compactness works so well. Imo. Misapplication of poorly implemented PKB has utterly destroyed reasonable chances of seeing a truly compact 9900 upgrade over this past decade. And the damage done by poorly understood failures will likely persist well into forward time. Ug. Lol.

I'm confident that the use case retains value... Just a matter of finding innovative intersection of user value and volume/margin functions...

Grumman managed to find profitability in producing LLV for USPS... How many "consumers" rushed to purchase that niche product? ?? Lol.

Maybe BofA is entertaining some similarly unique use case? ??
    Since your company benefits so greatly from BlackBerry, have you all considered OM partnership?
    02-27-21 09:40 AM
    Since your company benefits so greatly from BlackBerry, have you all considered OM partnership?
    Naturally, it has been discussed. Haven't heard that anyone has reached out to OM, tho. Nor to BoA... Altho we're pretty deep with BoA.

I think we'd rather "partner" with other customers and leave the phone production to "others"... Lol. Mobile tech has never been our thing. BUT, nvrkno what a bored to tears old retiree might explore... Lol...
    02-27-21 10:36 AM
    Naturally, it has been discussed. Haven't heard that anyone has reached out to OM, tho. Nor to BoA... Altho we're pretty deep with BoA.

I think we'd rather "partner" with other customers and leave the phone production to "others"... Lol. Mobile tech has never been our thing. BUT, nvrkno what a bored to tears old retiree might explore... Lol...
    From a partnership lens, I was thinking more about OM designing custom device appliance for your (industry collective) use case.
    02-27-21 11:44 AM
    One of the guys from Android Authority was on Instagram Live earlier this week and was asked about OM and said they literally had heard nothing from them after the initial communications OM did last year, they were allegedly supposed to to release more details but nothing came of it.

Not looking good so far, I think COVID-19 affected this project pretty badly and it’s looking less likely to happen by the day from what I am seeing.
    02-27-21 03:45 PM
    From a partnership lens, I was thinking more about OM designing custom device appliance for your (industry collective) use case.
    Well, just verified that officers of my former company have reached out to OM about just that. Others also. I'd already assembled an rfq that they may have sent but as a retiree, I'm no longer in that loop quite as deep as once. And I've really already suffered TOO many nda's & nca's to keep track of for this lifetime. Lol.

Potentially complicating is that I'm in some back & forth with some "others" about some potential project of my own. The wife is glaring that "she knew it" look this moment... She knows this restless old codger too well... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 02-28-21 at 02:20 AM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-28-21 01:43 AM
    Their silence seems to indicate that the project has been put on hold. Have tried to reach out to them, numerous times, but never hear back.
    02-28-21 09:52 AM
    Their silence seems to indicate that the project has been put on hold. Have tried to reach out to them, numerous times, but never hear back.
    Well, I guess there's this to look forward to:Any news about the new BB by Onwardmobility? Thanks-439705287.jpeg
    02-28-21 10:16 AM
    Well, I guess there's this to look forward to:
    Wow. That was a year ago.
    02-28-21 10:17 AM
    Well, I guess there's this to look forward to:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	439705287.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	450455
    Hope the almost 400 vote count doesn't represent the prospective interest 12 months later.
    02-28-21 03:10 PM
    Wow. That was a year ago.
    If I remember correctly, Unihertz in the mean time has confirmed, they will build another PKB-phone. And for such a small company, their support was quite noteworthy. Several security updates and a major update to Android 10. Now that's certainly something. Looking forward to the Fxtex Pro-1X and AstroSlide in the mean time. And of course to the PKB attachment in development by SES Mobile Accessories. Hope that at least one of these options will get me back to the PKB, which I have abandoned in August 2020. VKB really sucks so much - even on a 6,5" screen. Haven't bothered trying other keyboards though. So maybe I'm to blame too for my level of dissatisfaction
    anon(5597702) and the_boon like this.
    02-28-21 03:25 PM
    If I remember correctly, Unihertz in the mean time has confirmed, they will build another PKB-phone. And for such a small company, their support was quite noteworthy. Several security updates and a major update to Android 10. Now that's certainly something. Looking forward to the Fxtex Pro-1X and AstroSlide in the mean time. And of course to the PKB attachment in development by SES Mobile Accessories. Hope that at least one of these options will get me back to the PKB, which I have abandoned in August 2020. VKB really sucks so much - even on a 6,5" screen. Haven't bothered trying other keyboards though. So maybe I'm to blame too for my level of dissatisfaction
    Nah, it's okay to not like VKB. I've tried it several times and VKB was even my first smartphone before any BlackBerry experience. I'm with you; hate typing on glass, despite trying to adapt, use different KBs etc. No one thing is a one size fits all. Sadly, viable non VKB options are far and few in between. I even tried an S7 Edge with a keyboard attachment -- clever idea but so bad in the end and nothing like a BlackBerry keyboard. You don't realize what you have until it's gone.

Hopefully at the very least, Unihertz continues; so far, am impressed with their "optics" and commitment to what they develop.
    the_boon and idssteve like this.
    02-28-21 03:32 PM
    Nah, it's okay to not like VKB. I've tried it several times and VKB was even my first smartphone before any BlackBerry experience. I'm with you; hate typing on glass, despite trying to adapt, use different KBs etc. No one thing is a one size fits all. Sadly, viable non VKB options are far and few in between. I even tried an S7 Edge with a keyboard attachment -- clever idea but so bad in the end and nothing like a BlackBerry keyboard. You don't realize what you have until it's gone.

Hopefully at the very least, Unihertz continues; so far, am impressed with their "optics" and commitment to what they develop.
    But what is their commitment? What patch level are they on? Are they still doing patches? Is the Titan getting Android 11?
    And based on what I see on the Facebook and Twitter sites.... was Android 10 a good thing for users? Any Titan AT&T users here?

I agree that of the "options" they seem the best one on the table right now. But I'm glad I was able to transition to VKBs....
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-01-21 09:00 AM
    I'm on a Titan android 10 with zero problems.
    Still missing my passport though.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-02-21 08:44 PM
72 123