Does anyone have any information about the timing?
    02-10-21 03:56 PM
    Nope - been asked here 6000 times but I see you are new here so I'll cut you lots of slack. Welcome to Crackberry!
    02-10-21 04:40 PM
    It's like the military, hurry up and wait.
    02-10-21 08:03 PM
    It's like the military, hurry up and wait.
    Which is the opposite of Apple:

"Hurry up and buy!"
    02-10-21 09:20 PM
    Which is the opposite of Apple:

"Hurry up and buy!"
    So true!
    02-11-21 01:05 AM
    This is about as new as I've seen https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ele...return-to-Asia

Nothing new on what they are doing.

Did mention hopes to eventually bring their product to Asia.

Also said their "long term goal" was assemble of their handsets in US.... so sounding like initially that might now be off the table. But it should help keep cost more reasonable.

Not a quote, but the article says that they plan to release their device in North America nd Europe within the year... May be nothing, or may be the time line is already slipping.

Franklin did say more details will be announced within the next "few" months...
    02-11-21 07:37 AM
    This is about as new as I've seen https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ele...return-to-Asia

Nothing new on what they are doing.

Did mention hopes to eventually bring their product to Asia.

Also said their "long term goal" was assemble of their handsets in US.... so sounding like initially that might now be off the table. But it should help keep cost more reasonable.

Not a quote, but the article says that they plan to release their device in North America nd Europe within the year... May be nothing, or may be the time line is already slipping.

Franklin did say more details will be announced within the next "few" months...
    That would be exciting. I actually trust the Blackberry branded handsets for their security. Given the fact that the US military and other government agencies still rely on Blackberry and its security, its about damn time we got a phone for us.

Not to mention the additional capital Blackberry may have picked up as a result of the WallStreetBets uprising.
    02-11-21 09:41 AM
    That would be exciting. I actually trust the Blackberry branded handsets for their security. Given the fact that the US military and other government agencies still rely on Blackberry and its security, its about damn time we got a phone for us.

Not to mention the additional capital Blackberry may have picked up as a result of the WallStreetBets uprising.
    Your trust has to be in Onward Mobility - not in BlackBerry. The latter is just supplying their logo for a fee.
    02-11-21 09:49 AM
    Your trust has to be in Onward Mobility - not in BlackBerry. The latter is just supplying their logo for a fee.
    Good catch.
    02-11-21 09:51 AM
    Yeah Apple Hurry Up And Buy, the same phone with a different letter, Yeah I might be pissed that Blackberry broke down and joined with Android would rather have a BB10 operating system rather than Android, BUT there is NO WAY I would buy an Apple phone, never, REMEMBER BLACKBERRY IS THE ONLY OPERATING SYSTEM THAT WASN'T HACKED!!!!
    02-11-21 02:26 PM
    Yeah Apple Hurry Up And Buy, the same phone with a different letter, Yeah I might be pissed that Blackberry broke down and joined with Android would rather have a BB10 operating system rather than Android, BUT there is NO WAY I would buy an Apple phone, never, REMEMBER BLACKBERRY IS THE ONLY OPERATING SYSTEM THAT WASN'T HACKED!!!!
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!! Post early and post often........
    02-11-21 04:56 PM
    As everyone else has said, hurry up and wait. I would have thought they wouldn’t have at least posted something as far as the product design status? But I guess it’s back to the old BB new product slogan “coming soon”.
    02-11-21 05:01 PM
    Not just their logo, their software as well, android gives it away for free, Blackberry has a rep to maintain, although if I was the CEO of Blackberry the first thing I would do before starting to make Blackberry phones again is FIRE the WHOLE ADVERTISING TEAM. Useless, when Apple lost the deal with the military 70,000 play books, Blackberry Sales/advertising dropped the ball, when Blackberry did a stupid move lets get a hockey team in Hamilton and lost Apple and Facebook were all over it.. BIG MEDIA BS!!!
    02-11-21 05:10 PM
    Not just their logo, their software as well, android gives it away for free, Blackberry has a rep to maintain, although if I was the CEO of Blackberry the first thing I would do before starting to make Blackberry phones again is FIRE the WHOLE ADVERTISING TEAM. Useless, when Apple lost the deal with the military 70,000 play books, Blackberry Sales/advertising dropped the ball, when Blackberry did a stupid move lets get a hockey team in Hamilton and lost Apple and Facebook were all over it.. BIG MEDIA BS!!!
    BlackBerry has been happily out of the phone business since 2016. This upcoming device, if it even happens, has absolutely nothing to do with them - apart from the rented logo.
    02-11-21 06:49 PM
    BlackBerry has been happily out of the phone business since 2016. This upcoming device, if it even happens, has absolutely nothing to do with them - apart from the rented logo.
    But, does said logo have to be black or silver too this time??
    02-11-21 06:53 PM
    But, does said logo have to be black or silver too this time??
    Ha. Probably.
    02-11-21 06:54 PM
    You're talking about ancient history. You can't go back and replay the 2006 Superbowl, and BB can't go back and fix decisions they made the same year either.

All BB is doing here is licensing their name. There is no mention of any BB software, and BB's software ceased development 2 years ago, and is just in maintenance mode now.

As conite said, any faith you have in this project is entirely on OM, because BB is merely loaning them the name and cashing a check. Whether the project lives or dies is 100% on OM.
    chain13, pdr733, bakron1 and 1 others like this.
    02-11-21 08:52 PM
    You're talking about ancient history. You can't go back and replay the 2006 Superbowl, and BB can't go back and fix decisions they made the same year either.

All BB is doing here is licensing their name. There is no mention of any BB software, and BB's software ceased development 2 years ago, and is just in maintenance mode now.

As conite said, any faith you have in this project is entirely on OM, because BB is merely loaning them the name and cashing a check. Whether the project lives or dies is 100% on OM.
    Well put sir
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-12-21 04:25 PM

Indeed. And as Louis XIV famously said, "Apre moi, le deluge". If OM is unsuccessful, IMO it is extremely doubtful that any company (startup or otherwise) would try to resurrect the PKB device. From the minute sales volumes being realized by current vendors, it may well be that PKB as a form factor for new devices will go the way of the BetaMax.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-13-21 08:33 AM
    funny you mention BetaMax because it was far superior to VHS; another example of marketing successes.
    phuoc likes this.
    02-17-21 11:13 AM
    I will be waiting. something of the size of the bold, can fit with pocket and small hands, dual SIM, can be paired by blend in PC so i can send group SMS. and android apps support. I am sure they will be reflecting on it
    to boldly go likes this.
    02-17-21 11:43 AM
    I will be waiting. something of the size of the bold, can fit with pocket and small hands, dual SIM, can be paired by blend in PC so i can send group SMS. and android apps support. I am sure they will be reflecting on it
    Waiting a very long time.... if those are all required.

Software development for a BLEND solution wasn't feasible with PRIV projected sales.... If OM is planning more than 100K units I'll be surprised - wouldn't be shocked if it's fewer than 25K. I think what can be found today in Google Play is what you'll need to plan on using. As I do expect full Android - as that's the only way you could use only one phone (as Peter stated).

Form factor.... to start they have to go after the biggest market, I don't think that's going to be "small".
    02-17-21 11:59 AM
    funny you mention BetaMax because it was far superior to VHS; another example of marketing successes.
    Depends on how you define superior.

Image quality - yes.

But it was considered quite inferior when it came to recording time. One hour was dreadfully inconvenient. VHS was double. Both came out with lower quality low speed modes, but it was still relative.

BetaMax was also 2 years behind in hardware features that people wanted - like remote pause and a timer.
    pdr733 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-17-21 12:00 PM
    Beta was MARGINALLY better than VHS in quality (the difference was a bit greater early on, but VHS caught up quickly), but Beta tapes were only 60 minutes long (at standard speed/full quality), while VHS tapes were 120 minutes. 2 tapes per movie vs. 1 tape per movie was a huge miscalculation on Sony's part, though Sony's original thoughts were time-shifting TV content rather than movie rentals.

Anyway, marketing had little to do with that outcome - it was that design decision that doomed Beta in the home.
    Laura Knotek, pdr733 and JeepBB like this.
    02-17-21 10:34 PM
    So very true and I had a Sony BetaMax HiFi unit back in the day and the picture and sound quality where superior. But as with everyone else, I quickly switched to VHS format because of the lack of available movies. It’s all about marketing.
    02-19-21 05:13 AM
72 123