Sailfish (including their Android runtime) supports feature phones now. KaiOS took a similar approach and it seems to be working for them.

02-27-18 11:45 AM
    Why would you want to run a smartphone OS on a feature phone? The upside of a feature phone is its simplicity and speed. I just don't see it...
    02-27-18 01:10 PM
    Why would you want to run a smartphone OS on a feature phone? The upside of a feature phone is its simplicity and speed. I just don't see it...
    That was one of the ideas behind Sailfish, speed and (hopeful) simplicity, it's a good model personally, something even Android struggled to do.. Supports smart phones, tablets, feature phones and smart Watches and probably more in the future.

It has already proved it can run on older and lower end hardware.

That 3310 with Sailfish looks better than my Android
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 02-27-18 at 01:50 PM.
    02-27-18 01:22 PM
    Right, but while I agree that "because we can" is always fun to do in technology, I don't see feature phone buyers being attracted to the idea. I could be wrong, but...
    02-27-18 01:38 PM
    Right, but while I agree that "because we can" is always fun to do in technology, I don't see feature phone buyers being attracted to the idea. I could be wrong, but...
    I don't think 95% of feature phone owners even know what OS their device is running, most don't care.
    They just care about the low price and the brand, no-one knew what OS the old Nokia feature phones used (s40, s30, Asha OS ect), they just cared that it worked.
    02-27-18 01:52 PM
    It's not full Sailfish but a stripped down version of it. Performance and usability in the 3310 demo seems fine.

Such devices will of course not be able to offer a multitasking app experience. Rather Pienimäki said the point is for users to be able to “send a WhatsApp message or Facebook message or be able to connect with social media”.
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/26/sa...eature-phones/

That 3310 with Sailfish looks better than my Android
    It does look really cool! HMD are using KaiOS for their latest feature phones but it would be great to see an eventual collaboration with Jolla on this.
    02-27-18 03:25 PM
    It's not full Sailfish but a stripped down version of it. Performance and usability in the 3310 demo seems fine.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/26/sa...eature-phones/

It does look really cool! HMD are using KaiOS for their latest feature phones but it would be great to see an eventual collaboration with Jolla on this.
    Well HMD is basically old Nokia management, so I can really see something happening, it seems the may have unlocked the 3310 for Jolla to port to.
    02-27-18 04:00 PM
    Well HMD is basically old Nokia management, so I can really see something happening, it seems the may have unlocked the 3310 for Jolla to port to.
    They're former coworkers but they're also businesses at the end of the day. As you mentioned the fact that they're demoing this on a 3310 is hopefully a sign that they are/might collaborate.
    02-27-18 04:50 PM
    It would be great a remake of some Nokia maemo devices but with modern hardware, its keyboard and stylus and running Sailfish....

Posted via CB10
    03-01-18 08:10 AM
    It would be great a remake of some Nokia maemo devices but with modern hardware, its keyboard and stylus and running Sailfish....

Posted via CB10
    Google gemini PDA, an new device with a proper keyboard and will eventually dual boot Sailfish
    03-01-18 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't know about this gemini device, which has two versions PDA(wifi) and wifi+phone

I read that it uses debian or Android, I couldn't find info about sailfish.
    Also the price is good.
    However for daily use I prefer the smaller keyboard format and vertical position, such as the Classic, keyone or priv...

A gemini with the format of keyone is my dream....

Google gemini PDA, an new device with a proper keyboard and will eventually dual boot Sailfish

Posted via CB10
    03-04-18 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    I didn't know about this gemini device, which has two versions PDA(wifi) and wifi+phone

I read that it uses debian or Android, I couldn't find info about sailfish.
    Also the price is good.
    However for daily use I prefer the smaller keyboard format and vertical position, such as the Classic, keyone or priv...

A gemini with the format of keyone is my dream....

Posted via CB10
    The Sailfish port will be coming, it was demoed at MWC, but won't be avaliable until Sailfish 3 is released (end of q2), it's almost a shame BlackBerry devices are so locked down otherwise someone could probably port Sailfish (they have a Android device hardware adaptation kit)
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 03-04-18 at 11:44 AM.
    03-04-18 08:33 AM
    I'm a dual carry guy interested in a successor for BB10, once its light totally goes out next year as expected. Hopefully by then we here in the US will have more Sailfish options than a complex download to a Sony Xperia X. Can anyone speculate on those options within a year are?

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    Last edited by Avenzuno; 03-06-18 at 12:18 AM.
    03-05-18 01:32 AM
    I'm a dual carry guy interested in a successor for BB10, once its light totally goes out next near as expected. Hopefully by then we here in the US will have more Sailfish options than a complex download to a Sony Xperia X. Can anyone speculate on those options within a year are?
    You'll almost certainly have fewer options rather than more. The smartphone market has plateaued, and consolidation is already occurring. You're going to see companies leaving the market, companies being acquired, and companies going bankrupt - which is the norm after a big growth cycle; we saw it with PCs and with HDTVs, for example.

iOS and Android aren't going anywhere, of course, but Sailfish has now become largely an alternative OS for "other people's devices", and it remains to be seen if they can profitably sell their OS to people who already have to buy a device/OS combo before they have something to run Sailfish on - and THEN have to actually install it themselves. Or, of course, they could lose their funding if their backers decide it's unlikely that they'll ever be able to make a profit.

Tizen still exists, but it's been limited to a couple of entry-level phones in India, smartwatches, and Samsung smart TVs. As a smartphone OS, it's barely a footnote.

There are a couple of other hobby OSs - most variants of Android - but don't expect daily-use reliability.

The smartphone OS market isn't too different from the desktop OS market: a big, mainstream OS (Android/Windows), a high-priced Apple alternative (iOS/MacOS) that has 10-15% of the market (but all high-end), and some hobby OSs that are sub-1% of the market.
    Avenzuno, Laura Knotek and kbz1960 like this.
    03-05-18 07:16 PM
    The Sailfish port will be coming, it was demoed at MWC, but won't be avaliable until Sailfish 3 is released (end of q2), it's almost a shame BlackBerry devices are so locked down otherwise someone could probably port Sailfish (they have a Android device hardware adaptation kit)
    Do u know which version of android will support Sailfish 3?
    It is a pity that TCL is not selling the hardware without the secure BlackBerry bootloader.....

Posted via CB10
    03-06-18 07:28 AM
    It is a pity that TCL is not selling the hardware without the secure BlackBerry bootloader.....

Posted via CB10
    TCL does... under the Alcatel brand.

I do wonder given the option how many BBMo users would forgo the security and opt for an unlocked boot ROM. But that's one of the foundation blocks of their security... so very unlikely to happen, unless at some point they figure out that the only thing selling BlackBerry phones is the keyboard, and move to only licensing it.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-06-18 07:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's not really a question of Android version, it's things like hardware and the internals of the device, things like Nexus 4's can run it so anything reasonably modern should be okay (just bare in mind ports to Android devices won't have the Android App support that is built into retail Sailfish devices)
    03-06-18 02:16 PM
    03-24-18 04:02 AM
168 ... 567