I think a lot of people on these forums need to understand how business actually works. There seems to be a lot of twisting and wringing of facts into what comes out of Chen's statements.

His goal is to make BlackBerry profitable, step out of the forum echo chamber and take a serious look at the bottom line for the company.
    What you don't address is the conflict between longterm planning and building shareholder value. Essentially, conflict between vision or the short term need to show profitability (and in BBRY's case viability). But not all companies are like Amazon.
    04-03-16 05:38 PM
    Don't forget that real professionals don't need more than a 1x or EDGE signal to get work done... didn't Mike at one point actually question the value of both 3G and LTE?

Posted via CB10
    They acted like technology wasn't a rapidly evolving thing.

BBOS's replacement should have been in development before the iPhone appeared.
    It was clear from the iPod that iOS was far beyond BBOS. They didn't need to see the iPhone.

They were a one hit wonder, with no clue what to do next.
    rthonpm, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    04-03-16 09:20 PM
    Whatever the excuse, the plan does not work. Acquisition, IoT, Android, what next? Nothing sells without marketing and marketing. And marketing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-04-16 01:27 AM
    A great product priced reasonably without features people don't want would be a good start.
    Then you can do marketing. At least a little bit.
    04-04-16 04:12 AM
    They acted like technology wasn't a rapidly evolving thing.

It was clear from the iPod that iOS was far beyond BBOS. They didn't need to see the iPhone.

They were a one hit wonder, with no clue what to do next.
    It sounds from what I have read as though the structure of the company was a big reason for the slow and disjointed response to the iPhone.

Still though, I do think BB10 had a great deal going for it. Just too late, and such a dreadful launch. The launch device wasn't the best for the situation either.

04-04-16 06:29 AM
    It sounds from what I have read as though the structure of the company was a big reason for the slow and disjointed response to the iPhone.

Still though, I do think BB10 had a great deal going for it. Just too late, and such a dreadful launch. The launch device wasn't the best for the situation either.

Slow and disjointed... would have been waiting a year. BlackBerry waited three years to purchase QNX and announce they were STARTING work on a new OS. After VERIZON twisted their arm to make the STORM, and IT highlighted just how far behind BlackBerry's software was....that should have been their number one focus. But no, the STORM was a sales success... that's all they focused on.
    04-04-16 08:50 AM
    Well, to be fair, the iPod at the time wasn't running iOS yet. That came later.

So the iPhone was a shock to many people, including most engineers at Apple. I had friends working on Android at the time and I remember reading "holy ****" reactions from them. Of course that team recognized what they had just seen and immediately redirected all of their efforts to making an iPhone clone (the Android prototype I had at the time was essentially a BB Bold clone. That was their product until the iPhone keynote)

* yes, I know some on the Android team knew about the iPhone early, but I'm still convinced that was a very, very small number of people who knew that. Maybe like 3 people tops. And even they didn't know all of it.
    04-04-16 10:32 AM
    Well, to be fair, the iPod at the time wasn't running iOS yet. That came later.

So the iPhone was a shock to many people, including most engineers at Apple. I had friends working on Android at the time and I remember reading "holy ****" reactions from them. Of course that team recognized what they had just seen and immediately redirected all of their efforts to making an iPhone clone (the Android prototype I had at the time was essentially a BB Bold clone. That was their product until the iPhone keynote)

* yes, I know some on the Android team knew about the iPhone early, but I'm still convinced that was a very, very small number of people who knew that. Maybe like 3 people tops. And even they didn't know all of it.
    Agreed, it was a monumental achievement.

Still, BlackBerry's response was just so, so slow, and so lacking in any direction.
    04-04-16 02:26 PM
    As he has not done his job of turning around the company, or at least in the direction most think he was supposed to turn it, do you think there is a good chance of him stepping down come Friday?

Posted via CB10
    The only people claiming he has failed at his job are the people here who want Blackberry to keep turning out losing devices run on an OS that no one will support. Backberry's of a consumer device company are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    04-04-16 02:34 PM
    Of course that team recognized what they had just seen and immediately redirected all of their efforts to making an iPhone clone (the Android prototype I had at the time was essentially a BB Bold clone. That was their product until the iPhone keynote)
    Just to add on that, compare the Android prototype to the first released device:

A look back at Sooner, Google's first Android phone | Android Central

Review: T-Mobile G1 Hardware | Android Central
    04-04-16 02:45 PM
    Just to add on that, compare the Android prototype to the first released device:

A look back at Sooner, Google's first Android phone | Android Central

Review: T-Mobile G1 Hardware | Android Central
    Whoah....!

Yep, that's a BlackBerry clone.

That kind of explains a lot with regards to how the early Android retail builds were so clunky, buggy and seemingly unfinished. There was obviously a very, VERY sudden change in direction.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-04-16 02:50 PM
    But… I thought the Priv was the only Android keyboard slider
    04-04-16 04:18 PM
    But… I thought the Priv was the only Android keyboard slider
    I guess they couldn't 100% shake off the "let's make a BlackBerry" idea.
    04-04-16 04:22 PM
    Whatever the excuse, the plan does not work. Acquisition, IoT, Android, what next? Nothing sells without marketing and marketing. And marketing.

On the software end of things, marketing and growth is happening . It's methodical and calculated, placed in channels where enterprise buyers see it. They're not going to waste limited resources on hardware, it has to stand and pay for itself on it's own. If not, good bye!!! This is how you rescue a company from going bankrupt.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-04-16 04:34 PM
    I guess they couldn't 100% shake off the "let's make a BlackBerry" idea.
    They were even worse than BlackBerry though....
    04-04-16 05:00 PM
    He changed the company but bb fans like me do not want to the changed because we are used to the old system
    04-05-16 06:44 PM
    He changed the company but bb fans like me do not want to the changed because we are used to the old system
    The old system is not sustainable, so it doesn't really matter what you want. It's going away, whether it's Chen or somebody else at the helm.
    04-06-16 07:31 AM
117 ... 345