except it was a narcissist in a suite that invested 1 billion dollars to Blackberry to keep afloat. and that same narcissist in a suit is happy to keep John Chen in his job.
    All hail our rich masters then ...
    04-01-16 12:42 PM
    Not until they have eveningg shift crew leader openings at Tim Horton...
    04-01-16 01:25 PM
    BIS? Dead weight? How dare you! BlackBerry would be number one if they made BB10 use BIS, because my tin foil lined cave blocks out plebeian cell signals. LTE, data, apps, those are for children. Real Businessmen(TM) only use their phones for Real Business(TM), which is defined as having nothing to do with social media, images, apps, or anything else you couldn't have done in 1996.

/s, obviously
    Don't forget that real professionals don't need more than a 1x or EDGE signal to get work done... didn't Mike at one point actually question the value of both 3G and LTE?

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    04-01-16 03:55 PM
    Oh, no, your point was clear. I was just highlighting the fact that your premise is fatally flawed.
    Ha ha. Sure.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 04:56 PM
    I've said this many times before but phones have always been a hobby for BlackBerry: they have always been a network and services company. BlackBerry didn't even introduce a phone until 2002 since earlier devices were email focused only. BES and other services have always been where the bulk of their money has been made.

Posted via CB10
    Ehhh, I gotta call bullsh*t on that. The biggest moneymaker for BlackBerry by far was the BIS fees. It was a huge revenue with comparatively little cost. Even today's earnings reports showed that it's still a significant chunk of their business. BIS wouldn't have ever existed without their phone division.

But coincidentally, BIS was also likely the catalyst to their failure.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 05:04 PM
    Well, now they need to just sell 3 million phones in one year to break even which Chen said he thought was possible. While overall phone sales were down this quarter, they did not include some big carriers like Verizon in the US whom have just started offering the Priv. So some hope.. .

Posted via CB10
    That is so laughable! He started with 10 million then reduced to 5 and now 3 million devices. Funny thing is that at current sale numbers, BB cannot even meet that figure.
    04-01-16 05:31 PM
    Pants on fire...

Don't stockholder protection laws in Canada prevent CEOs from dissimulating straight out to the public about financials? BB trades on the TSX. The SEC oversees the NASDAC on which BBRY lists, so why no sanctions all this time?
    04-01-16 05:41 PM
    I suspect that the PRIV was made to prove to doubters within BlackBerry that they should exit from handsets altogether. If they only sell one model, a slider, they will never make a profit or even break even by September. Mr. Chen's statements that they may leave handsets altogether is a self fulfilling prophesy.
    andy957 and dolco like this.
    04-01-16 05:50 PM
    Attachment 395707

Posted via CB10
    Yes we Chen!!!
    04-01-16 07:41 PM
    Pants on fire...

Don't stockholder protection laws in Canada prevent CEOs from dissimulating straight out to the public about financials? BB trades on the TSX. The SEC oversees the NASDAC on which BBRY lists, so why no sanctions all this time?
    Because he and the company aren't breaking any laws??? Seems pretty obvious...

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 08:21 PM
    Nope... attempts to hoodwink the Public & stockholders... i only am out the cost of a phone... owners of BBRY or BlackBerry paper are being bamboozled. It's obvious.
    04-01-16 10:08 PM
    Nope... attempts to hoodwink the Public & stockholders... i only am out the cost of a phone... owners of BBRY or BlackBerry paper are being bamboozled. It's obvious.
    The public, whatever, you make no sense. Us stockholders that lost almost everything under previous management, don't worry about us, we're Ok now. Just check out how Sybase did over the last 10-15 years before it's acquisition.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 06:51 AM
    He's probably playing an Elop game. Sold the farm and get out quick.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-02-16 07:35 AM
    How is everyone being hoodwinked? BlackBerry is putting itself into position to be profitable. If anything, the hardware division is dragging them down, yet they are trying to keep it.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-02-16 08:14 AM
    I suspect that the PRIV was made to prove to doubters within BlackBerry that they should exit from handsets altogether. If they only sell one model, a slider, they will never make a profit or even break even by September. Mr. Chen's statements that they may leave handsets altogether is a self fulfilling prophesy.
    This is a silly, but persistent idea, that Blackberry's CEO needed to pretend to want to sell handsets while secretly wanting them to fail so that he would have a justification to exit the business. CEOs hired to turn around companies that are bleeding cash like BlackBerry was can pretty much do whatever they want to turn the business around.

If John Chen didn't want to be in the handset business he could have announced the end of it shortly after taking the reins.

Why then, was there so little advertising and promotion of the Leap, passport, Priv? That's simple. It would have been a poor investment. Let's look at the past quarter. With 600k total handsets sold, let's say that spending $60m on promotion would have doubled the sales, something which is possible, but not very likely.

That would have been the equivalent of spending $100 per additional unit of sales. So, sales would have likely increased but the cost of those sales would have increased by a larger percentage. So, BlackBerry earns a negative return on that $60m investment.

The same would be true of promotions, whether offering phones for $100 less, or spending $100 on sales training and incentives.

At 600k units per quarter it's very hard to justify throwing away good money after bad. Even if you dramatically increase sales it's probably not enough to offset the cost of promotions and increase profits.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 09:55 AM
    How is everyone being hoodwinked? BlackBerry is putting itself into position to be profitable. If anything, the hardware division is dragging them down, yet they are trying to keep it.
    While I like Chen, and what he's done so far to keep BB going, I reckon there is a small deception being practiced. And that's in relation to Hardware.

I don't believe Chen has any intention of keeping hardware going, it's a huge deadweight on the rest of the business. He will *say* he's trying to keep it... but I believe that's only to keep revenue coming in while he still has inventory to sell. Once that inventory is gone (or more likely, when sales momentum falls to such pitiful levels that it's not worth the game), Chen will announce that he's made his decision (in truth, it's already made) and will close it down.

I expect lots of upbeat statements from BB about hardware for the rest of the year - Words cost them nothing, but there'll be no new phones or significant price cuts on the Priv. Chen is now playing a game of bluff. Try to convince the gullible that the game is still on, while spending as near to zero time and money on maintaining that bluff.

Those with a Priv should probably view Marshmallow as a consolation prize. It'll future-proof what I believe will be BB's last consumer phone for another year or so.
    04-02-16 10:08 AM
    JC has done great job so far. No questions about his signing off from BlackBerry. He has steadied the ship . I am hopeful by September 2016 the handsets business will reach breakeven.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    04-02-16 10:17 AM
    While I like Chen, and what he's done so far to keep BB going, I reckon there is a small deception being practiced. And that's in relation to Hardware.

I don't believe Chen has any intention of keeping hardware going, it's a huge deadweight on the rest of the business. He will *say* he's trying to keep it... but I believe that's only to keep revenue coming in while he still has inventory to sell. Once that inventory is gone (or more likely, when sales momentum falls to such pitiful levels that it's not worth the game), Chen will announce that he's made his decision (in truth, it's already made) and will close it down.

I expect lots of upbeat statements from BB about hardware for the rest of the year - Words cost them nothing, but there'll be no new phones or significant price cuts on the Priv. Chen is now playing a game of bluff. Try to convince the gullible that the game is still on, while spending as near to zero time and money on maintaining that bluff.

Those with a Priv should probably view Marshmallow as a consolation prize. It'll future-proof what I believe will be BB's last consumer phone for another year or so.
    Summary: hoodwinked...
    JeepBB and IndianTiwari like this.
    04-02-16 11:19 AM
    Its pretty clear that John Chen's hardware strategy is to not invest in it an keep the revenue going until the software transition is complete. He consistently choose the low-risk low-cost path from cancelling all of the existing hardware projects except for the Passport from day one, making his first phone a Classic, low-ball Leap, and doing just one Android phone per year. He has even spoken of how there are people in the company that are emotionally tied to making smartphones. He has always focused on profitability of hardware and never targets growth.

Now he's scapegoating the hardware program and getting employees and investors ready for the axe. Unbelievably, he even mentioned a drop-dead date: September. He's trying to make as smooth a transition as possible without panicking customers.
    04-02-16 12:05 PM
    Not likely. He seems to be doing good job for investors & that's really is only thing matters for board.
    Obviously board will fire him if he is not doing his job the way they want.
    But I would be more worried if he steps down on his own at this point. That means he sees writing on the wall for BlackBerry's future. Doesn't think he could turn around any more than he already has...
    Regardless, he would do his best as long as he is employed by BlackBerry for his own good & board. Just not for us BlackBerry phone lovers.

04-02-16 01:46 PM
    JC has done great job so far. No questions about his signing off from BlackBerry. He has steadied the ship . I am hopeful by September 2016 the handsets business will reach breakeven.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    Sure the results speaks for itself. Screwed up launch? Out of the World pricing? Gothic ads? Bad battery? Abandoning your wife (BB10)? He did it all!

Sridhar M and Doggerz like this.
    04-02-16 10:24 PM
    Sure the results speaks for itself. Screwed up launch? Out of the World pricing? Gothic ads? Bad battery? Abandoning your wife (BB10)? He did it all!

Inspite of all you said JC is still going stronger . He enjoys the investor confidence otherwise he would have shown the doors. He did'nt join the Blackberry to safeguard the handsets business but to save a company which was a sinking .
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-03-16 02:16 AM
    I think a lot of people on these forums need to understand how business actually works. There seems to be a lot of twisting and wringing of facts into what comes out of Chen's statements.

His goal is to make BlackBerry profitable, step out of the forum echo chamber and take a serious look at the bottom line for the company.

Something to help you out:

https://www.boundless.com/business/t...to-business-1/

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 11:02 AM
    What is interesting is that there has been no discussion of the leverage that buying Good has given BBRY over Google (and Samsung) and so begs the question if BlackBerry's lack of improvement of the BB10 Android runtime was due to the terms for licensing of GMS or was solely a decision to limit investment in BB10.

If no licensing restrictions exist, what could be, if porting Android apps with BB10 native look and feel was an easy job and the code to take advantage of the Priv keyboard, hub and other device features would be made compatible with the BB10 Android runtime?

Alternatively, if it was due to licensing, it would not be inconceivable that BBRY could have a single SKU that would deliver Android out of box, but could be configured by the device owner to expose BB10 underneath. A way to show BlackBerry's new found software chops, could be transitioning from Lollipop/GR Security to Marshmallow+/Neutrino. No need for a hypervisor when you have a Virtual Machine. Could this be what John Chen meant about possibly merging the two platforms? The QNX Software Systems subsidiary should be more than capable of the job.

04-03-16 05:26 PM
    With regards to marketing of Android devices, either by carriers or BBRY, wouldn't it make sense to wait until Marshmallow?
    04-03-16 05:29 PM
117 ... 2345