Does anyone know of any Canadian Mutal funds that hold RIM stock in their portfolio? I want to invest in RIM, but I also want to minimize my risks. I was looking for a fund that holds between 5-15% of their portfolio as RIM.
    11-30-12 07:52 AM
    look into Fairfax Holdings they are major backers of RIM, however looking at their chart it just is on a downhill,
    on the other hand you might still get RIM at a low via Fairfax: Fairfax - Home
    for a mutual fund 5-15%? i don't know, but doubt it.....
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-30-12 08:23 AM
    Most Mutual Funds don't hold such significant holdings of any single security, by design. You could always buy options on RIM to minimize your risk to the cost of the options.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-30-12 08:50 AM
    Most Mutual Funds don't hold such significant holdings of any single security, by design. You could always buy options on RIM to minimize your risk to the cost of the options.
    I liked first, but beware ... options can be tricky if you don't know exactly how to manage ... Doesn't seem regnaston is very comfortable with stocks ...
    Otherwise, the general concept is ok <- like
    anon(1152406) likes this.
    11-30-12 08:56 AM
    This is fairly current.

Any Canadian Mutal Funds that carry RIM stock?-holdings.jpg
    Superfly_FR and Knightcrawler like this.
    11-30-12 09:00 AM
    My advice, buy a Canadian index or etf mimicking the tse 100. You'll get a small portion of rim and many other Canadian gems like the big 5 Canadian banks, resource companies, agriculture companies, energy.. Buy, hold and repeat.
    11-30-12 11:32 AM
    The great thing about rim stock is Mike, Jim and the top 6 institutional holders own almost 40% of the company. Most of these have been holding all the way down and most have been accumulating more. I think they are planning to ride it all the way back up and have no intention to sell anytime soon. So, if a pension or mutual fund wants to load up un shares, they may have a harder time finding sellers and this will help drive the stock price even higher....that and the fact that rim stock is severely shorted. These shorts need to buy it at some point. My guess is that the shorts are starting to sweat with the recent runup and are waiting until the December 20 earnings release to make their purchase. This will offset whatever bad news rim will have (I doubt anybody would invest in bb7 handset knowing that bb10 is weeks away). Sales should be extremely weak.
    Last edited by theRock1975; 11-30-12 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
    11-30-12 11:44 AM
    The great thing about rim stock is Mike, Jim and the top 6 institutional holders own almost 40% of the company. Most of these have been holding all the way down and most have been accumulating more. I think they are planning to ride it all the way back up and have no intention to sell anytime soon. So, if a pension or mutual fund wants to load up un shares, they may have a harder time finding sellers and this will help drive the stock price even higher....that and the fact that rim stock is severely shorted. These shorts need to buy it at some point. My guess is that the shorts are starting to sweat with the recent runup and are waiting until the December 20 earnings release to make their purchase. This will offset whatever bad news rim will have (I doubt anybody would invest in bb7 handset knowing that bb10 is weeks away). Sales should be extremely weak.
    Or they are insane and have too much sentimental attachment involved. They made the company and won't leave thot easy.
    11-30-12 12:39 PM
    Most institutional RIM owners will have bought at substantially higher than current value. Why on earth would you buy a mutual fund that has a ton of stock worth $12, that was bought for $100.

Buy your own RIM stock now and dump it before jan 30. Or take your original investment out and gamble with your profit.
    11-30-12 01:47 PM