With the news of Outlook Preview (it is a very nice looking email client, but of course it is still ages beyond Blackberry) do you think we will see a new wave of email apps trying to focus on business users? Do you think there are any email clients on Android that can give BB a run for its money? I tried many of them over a year ago, they all failed miserably, and I held onto my blackberry which I still love, but we need to be realistic and recognize what's out there and hope that Blackberry keeps up with the developments and does not let its guard down for the second time.
    02-01-15 08:02 PM
    you mean strictly email or the whole hub?
    02-01-15 08:07 PM
    Strictly email functionality, I don't think anyone is even working on something remotely close to HUB yet. Maybe an email app with multiple providers but not an actual hub that I know of so far.
    02-01-15 11:58 PM
    strictly for email I would say that android has several options that are on par with bb10. Even stock email app is pretty good.
    tack likes this.
    02-02-15 12:03 AM
    No, there is no competition IMO. Unless there is one with an "R", "D", Glympse ( great for tracking family traveling in the storms this winter), timed messages, retractable messages etc. Even then, the red blinking LED would be missing. BBM, especially on a BlackBerry, is the ultimate communication tool ever. Full stop.

TCB on Z10
    02-02-15 05:45 AM
    Sorry, just realized the thread is about email and did not know how to retract my post. Just the same, who uses email anymore except people with no smartphones? Wait until BBM arrives on PC's!

TCB on Z10
    02-02-15 05:51 AM
    Sorry, just realized the thread is about email and did not know how to retract my post. Just the same, who uses email anymore except people with no smartphones? Wait until BBM arrives on PC's!

TCB on Z10
    Lots of people still use email...
    And BBM is technically available on your PC now with Blackberry Blend.

Posted via CB10
    axllebeer and jupiter8 like this.
    02-02-15 06:14 AM
    BBM, especially on a BlackBerry, is the ultimate communication tool ever. Full stop.
    A communication tool is only useful when you have people you want/need to communicate with who also use that same tool. In my situation, BBM is actually one the worst communication tools ever because literally NO ONE I care about still uses it. All of the features in the world don't matter if your contacts aren't on it.

Lots of people here have started talking to absolute strangers just for a reason to even open BBM. No offense to Nigerians, but I'd rather talk to my family, friends and colleagues, much like I used to do long before WhatsApp, KiK, Hangouts and all of the other cross platform messengers came along and stole BBM's lunch.

BlackBerry could have made BBM be huge, but their arrogance kept it from going cross platform for too long and now there are tons of other options out there and most folks don't have a need for BBM any more. Oh well.

At the end of the day, a messenger app is only as useful as the people who use it.
    Last edited by Witmen; 02-02-15 at 06:43 AM.
    02-02-15 06:33 AM
    Email app? Why does BlackBerry need one, eh? Use your hub mate! It's better than you think.

₱asaporte₱ilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    02-02-15 06:34 AM
    As someone who flips between a Z30 and Android phone (currently a OnePlus One), I still haven't found an email app that provides the same level of functionality as on my BB, which is one of the main reasons I keep using my BB as my primary device.

I've tried the stock native email app, the Gmail app, K9, AquaMail, Nine, the old Outlook app, and the new Outlook Preview app and each had at least a few failings or missing features compared to BB's email app. I actually didn't like the new Outlook app at all for the way it handle calendar and contact integration with my outlook account so that was a quick delete. In the end, I stick with the native email app as it offers the easiest, integrated solution but again, it still isn't as good as BB.

So, while I haven't tried ALL the many email apps on Android, I've tried enough to say that for my needs nothing on Android is as good as BB. Throw in the lack of any type of 'Hub' feature (i.e. integrated universal inbox) on Android and I have even more reason to keep using my BB over my Android device. That of course can change though as Google has tried to improve the stock email and Gmail apps over the years but just not enough in the areas I need.
    02-02-15 07:26 AM
    On Android, I used AquaMail for a unified (email) inbox, and thought it was pretty good. It has the "Smart Folder" feature, which is flexible and useful. It holds onto the most recent emails from all accounts for a configurable period of time. I found myself using it quite a lot. Also, you can pinch-zoom to adjust the text size, with reflow, after which the app remembers where you left it, so the next time you open it you get the same magnification. That's a nice feature.

Like the stock Android email app, you can tap on the sender icons in the left margin to do multiple select, without needing to tap a "Select more" button first. This is also handy. And you have Contact photos displayed in those icons, either round or square. The BB10 Hub can't do that because it has to show the source, so it's a tradeoff.

I don't think AquaMail is a threat to BlackBerry, but on the whole it's a pretty good email experience. If I ever return to Android, I'll use it again (I paid for it, after all).
    02-02-15 07:39 AM
    If we're just talking email, there are several universal email options on Android that offer a lot of the functionality of the BB email hub, but I've not found one I like better than email on my Passport. That's mostly because of personal preferences.
    02-02-15 07:52 AM
    On Android, I used AquaMail for a unified (email) inbox, and thought it was pretty good. It has the "Smart Folder" feature, which is flexible and useful. It holds onto the most recent emails from all accounts for a configurable period of time. I found myself using it quite a lot. Also, you can pinch-zoom to adjust the text size, with reflow, after which the app remembers where you left it, so the next time you open it you get the same magnification. That's a nice feature.

Like the stock Android email app, you can tap on the sender icons in the left margin to do multiple select, without needing to tap a "Select more" button first. This is also handy. And you have Contact photos displayed in those icons, either round or square. The BB10 Hub can't do that because it has to show the source, so it's a tradeoff.

I don't think AquaMail is a threat to BlackBerry, but on the whole it's a pretty good email experience. If I ever return to Android, I'll use it again (I paid for it, after all).
    AquaMail would be my choice except for the lack of EAS for Microsoft email accounts. While you can get IMAP access, I find the delay is just a bit too long for my needs (I've had issues with the delays when having conversations by email). If it supported EAS, it would be my first choice. Pretty much for that reason alone I'm using the stock Email android app.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    02-02-15 12:16 PM
    Simply, no.

 Z10
    02-02-15 12:18 PM
    Nope.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 01:17 PM
    Don't think a 3rd party email app will ever displace email via the Hub for Blackberry users. For old BB users currently on other platforms probably Outlook Preview. MS bought out Acompli and the Preview is a rebrand of it for Outlook. As they integrate all the Acompli features into Outlook it will be the most Hub-like experience outside of BB10.
    02-02-15 01:27 PM
    AquaMail would be my choice except for the lack of EAS for Microsoft email accounts. While you can get IMAP access, I find the delay is just a bit too long for my needs (I've had issues with the delays when having conversations by email). If it supported EAS, it would be my first choice. Pretty much for that reason alone I'm using the stock Email android app.
    Yeah, that's a limitation for those of us using outlook.com. But after due consideration, I decided that, for my needs, it's no big deal. If I were running a business on email, that would be a different matter, but the reality is, it doesn't matter to me whether I get my email every fifteen minutes or instantly.

In fact, my work email has imap push, so I do get it instantly on AquaMail. Only my personal email is on outlook.com, so I just don't care. For me, the other features of AquaMail more than compensate.
    But I'm no captain of industry.
    02-02-15 01:34 PM
    Before I got my Z10, I used MailDroid on my Android devices. After I left the Z10 and went to the Sony Xperia Z I've been using the stock email app on all of my devices. It's like they vastly improved in the few months I had the Z10. On Android, the mail app depends on the manufacturer skin and will vary among devices.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-02-15 02:33 PM
    No, there is no competition IMO. Unless there is one with an "R", "D", Glympse ( great for tracking family traveling in the storms this winter), timed messages, retractable messages etc. Even then, the red blinking LED would be missing. BBM, especially on a BlackBerry, is the ultimate communication tool ever. Full stop.

TCB on Z10
    I don't see much difference between the stock clients on Android and iOS and BlackBerry mail. Throw in something like Away Find on iOS, which isn't free, and you have a pretty good package.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 04:56 PM
    , who uses email anymore except people with no smartphones? Wait until BBM arrives on PC's!

TCB on Z10
    Not a professional, eh? That's ok, not everyone can be.

Also, your "no smartphones" comment makes no sense, because if they didn't have a smart phone....how would they be doing email????? Email is for people who DO have smartphones. Texting is for people who don't.

But to answer your question.....

Anyone in any business at all.
    Anyone who wants to receive any non-paper correspondence from any business/service provider.
    Anyone who needs to send a message with full, grammatically correct and complete sentences and express a thought beyond "wutz up".
    Anyone who needs to contact another business and doesn't want to use that other horrible thing called a phone where they'd actually have to have a conversation with another human.

Please chime in if I've forgotten any...
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 02-03-15 at 07:45 AM.
    02-02-15 05:08 PM

TCB on Z10
    I really hope this was a sarcastic post.
    02-02-15 05:10 PM
    No a professional, eh? That's ok, not everyone can be.

Also, your "no smartphones" comment makes no sense, because if they didn't have a smart phone....how would they be doing email????? Email is for people who DO have smartphones. Texting is for people who don't.

But to answer your question.....

Anyone in any business at all.
    Anyone who wants to receive any non-paper correspondence from any business/service provider.
    Anyone who needs to send a message with full, grammatically correct and complete sentences and express a though beyond "wutz up".
    Anyone who needs to contact another business and doesn't want to use that other horrible thing called a phone where they'd actually have to have a conversation with another human.

Please chime in if I've forgotten any...
    I think you pretty much covered it. Thank you.

Posted using my Z10
    02-02-15 05:20 PM
    Before I got my Z10, I used MailDroid on my Android devices. After I left the Z10 and went to the Sony Xperia Z I've been using the stock email app on all of my devices. It's like they vastly improved in the few months I had the Z10. On Android, the mail app depends on the manufacturer skin and will vary among devices.
    I agree, MailDroid has come a long way since it first came out.

As someone who flips between a Z30 and Android phone (currently a OnePlus One), I still haven't found an email app that provides the same level of functionality as on my BB, which is one of the main reasons I keep using my BB as my primary device.

I've tried the stock native email app, the Gmail app, K9, AquaMail, Nine, the old Outlook app, and the new Outlook Preview app and each had at least a few failings or missing features compared to BB's email app. I actually didn't like the new Outlook app at all for the way it handle calendar and contact integration with my outlook account so that was a quick delete. In the end, I stick with the native email app as it offers the easiest, integrated solution but again, it still isn't as good as BB.

So, while I haven't tried ALL the many email apps on Android, I've tried enough to say that for my needs nothing on Android is as good as BB. Throw in the lack of any type of 'Hub' feature (i.e. integrated universal inbox) on Android and I have even more reason to keep using my BB over my Android device. That of course can change though as Google has tried to improve the stock email and Gmail apps over the years but just not enough in the areas I need.
    I can't believe some people think the native email app in android is even useful, it's a terrible app that acts almost like an SMS app and it's not user friendly at all. Yes there are some fancy improvements, mostly visuals but there isn't much that holds value. I haven't had a chance to try Nine, I just need to contact admin to add new app permission but I tried everything else with my Outlook Exchange.
    The best I liked were Touchdown, AquaMail, Kaiten, K9 and Pigeon. Think about it, with some of these, you couldn't even flag emails for follow up. They adapted "Star" function which doesn't translate well. Some apps don't even have unified inbox within one account like being able to list all folders just like Blackberry does.

To those who don't care about email or feel it is irrelevant, I hope you don't waste your or anyone else's time by posting because this thread is for people who rely on email to communicate. I work with over 25,000 emails in one year, in my sent box alone. My inbox is well over this, possibly double. This translates to over 150 emails to process any given day, and I don't even do telemarketing or junk email business, this is strictly communication with overseas, customers in USA, vendors, partners, inter-office communication and more. So those who get couple of emails a day from mailing lists, relatives, friends who share recycled reddit pictures (I guess they don't even use email for that anymore, so I don't blame you for assuming email is not relevant anymore..) you guys can do just fine with stock email client in android. I don't blame you, but there are millions of people who rely on proper email client & email service to run their business.

The main shortcomings I found in many email apps were lack of core functionality that exists in Hub or BB Email that nobody realizes they are there and can be used, but they make a huge difference in the way people can work email. For example attaching a document and then wanting to see if it was the latest draft? Good luck opening an attachment that you just attached to a composed email but did not send. You received an email, there are multiple people, want to see who they are before you kept them in CC when Replying All? Folderize/Move/Archive email while reading it? This is one function I am looking forward to with 10.3 so I can hit folder and file that email away easily. Many 3rd party email clients don't even hat that function you have to go through 5 taps before you can file an email, and even then you have to scroll, you can't even type folder name. There are a lot more features that is missing from even the most expensive email clients on Android, but to be honest I haven't checked those recently since I gave up on trying Android a year ago.
    miker476 likes this.
    02-02-15 07:28 PM
    Outlook preview is the first app that I ever honestly felt like was good enough to use as a replacement for the hub if I changed platforms permanently. That's both the ios and android versions. Before that there was nothing as far as I am concerned

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    02-02-15 07:55 PM
    I don't have email on my Z10 anymore; how does BB10 handle Gmail IMAP now?
    02-02-15 08:09 PM
95 123 ...