My anti virus software is about to expire on my laptop. The only Internet I have is tethering through my storm. Do I still need it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 06:38 PM
    Interesting question. Why chance it. Avast is an awesome free anti-virus.
    01-18-09 06:41 PM
    Your tether connection is like any other open Internet connection.
    If you want your PC to be protected you need an anti-virus program installed.

about.com gives some free solutions

Antivirus Software Review: Free Antivirus Software
    01-18-09 06:42 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'll go for one of the free ones!
    01-18-09 07:41 PM
    whether you tether or not has no bearing on whether you need AV on your computer. Having said that, if you were previously accessing internet via a router, you effectively had a firewall protecting you from certain kinds of attacks. Now if you are accessing internet solely via tethered connection to BB, your computer is probably more vunerable...

get an AV and anti-spyware tools, etc.
    01-18-09 07:47 PM
    you effectively had a firewall protecting you from certain kinds of attacks. Now if you are accessing internet solely via tethered
    A firewall protects from a direct attack.
    An anti-virus program protects against a mal file that has gone through the firewall.

Both firewall and anti-virus programs are needed on any PC connected to any other PC or the outside world.
    01-18-09 08:15 PM
    Some of the best free AV's are AVG Free, Spybot Search and Destroy and Avast!. If something does manage to get on your system that these won't clean, use ComboFix and your woes will be whoa's.
    01-19-09 11:55 PM
    06-28-09 03:27 AM
    whether you tether or not has no bearing on whether you need AV on your computer. Having said that, if you were previously accessing internet via a router, you effectively had a firewall protecting you from certain kinds of attacks. Now if you are accessing internet solely via tethered connection to BB, your computer is probably more vunerable...

get an AV and anti-spyware tools, etc.
    Exactly accurate, only not "probably more vunerable..." but DEFINITELY more vulnerable.
    07-19-09 07:50 PM
    every pc "should" have some sort of protection in place... wouldn't be the smartest idea using something you can get infected easily on.. but no it is not needed for it to "work" but i'd recommend it.
    09-07-09 05:57 PM
    As for me, for protecting my mac i prefer use ProteMac NetMine.It’s firewall.It’s tool protects against viruses.In my opinion it’s really good tool.
    02-19-10 04:38 AM
    The process of connecting an computer to the internet via a internet capable mobile phone is called Tethering. Tethering requires your phone to be connected to the computer either via bluetooth or via data cable.

Barnacle Wifi Tether turns your Android phone into a portable wireless hotspot (or ad-hoc access point) for other devices (your PC/Mac/Linux, iOS/iPad, even Xbox). No software needs to be installed on the PC side and no custom kernel on the smartphone, but it does require rooting your phone.
    03-21-11 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD