Are you ashamed of your BlackBerry? | Sync

Are you ashamed of your BlackBerry?
    Have BlackBerry users really become black sheep? Can your smartphone make you an outcast?

In a recent article for the New York Times, writer Nicole Perlroth took to the streets of California to find out how BlackBerry owners felt about their phones. The responses she received were almost surreal, ranging from disgust to embarrassment. One reported being denied access to a courtesy charger at a country club after the attendant saw her BB. Another quipped that BlackBerry users probably still think MySpace is cool and AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) is the best way to chat with friends.

These aren�t highschoolers, either. They�re American adults, and they�re clearly ready to leave their BlackBerrys behind and move on to devices with more street cred like the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3.

You�ve got to wonder what�s really going on, though. Take the country club incident, for example. The phone�s owner was told she could have a charger, but then heard �Oh no, no, not for that.� Why? RIM has been equipping BlackBerry devices with a standard micro USB port for ages. It�s the same port used by nearly all Android devices and Windows Phones, and it�s hard to believe that a concierge service wouldn�t actually have been able to charge a Curve, Bold, Torch, or Storm. Was the phone really refused because it would sully the club�s charging table? That doesn�t seem all that probable.

One user complained about the fact that it took her phone three minutes to launch the browser � and then watched her battery expire just as the home page finally loaded. Now, something�s not right with your device when it takes that long to open a browser. I�ve used some pretty old and very poorly maintained BlackBerry phones, and none has ever taken that long to launch the browser. And the fact that the battery died right then, causing the owner to let out a sigh of disgust and voice her desire to smash the phone with a bat? With no mention of when it was last charged, how much the phone had been used, or even whether an OEM battery was installed in the phone, it�s really down to bad timing.

Now, one BlackBerry user quoted in the article kind of offers up a legitimate gripe. He mentions frequently asking others for information like directions or Yelp reviews. Why? Because the apps simply aren�t available for BlackBerry or they exist but they�re not very good (see Yelp). RIM�s platform gets little love from Google or anyone else, so app envy can be fairly common if you own a BlackBerry and you�re surrounded by Android or iPhone users.

But is it really enough to make you feel like a black sheep? For its part, RIM is embracing the label and clearly isn�t ready to back down. How do you feel about your BlackBerry, Sync readers? Do you carry it with pride, or do you you stealthily check it inside your coat to avoid embarrassment? Or have you already had enough and are ready to move on? Take our poll, and let us know in the comments!
    The Poll is at the bottom of the article.

The article features pictures of the Porsche Design Bold & the Dev Alpha B.
    10-19-12 08:30 AM
    People love to have the latest and greatest phone. Or, they want to have the best phone.

Blackberry has not even been in the latest and greatest conversation for at least three years now.

When I bought my BlackBerry bold 9700 three years ago I picked it over the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy because I thought it was the best of the three.

Can't say now that any BlackBerry can compete with the latest iPhone or Galaxy.

If BlackBerry ships "the ten" soon and I am convinced that it is the best phone on the market (for me) then I will buy it.

This is really a pretty simple decision.
    10-19-12 09:16 AM
    I have never been embarassed by any piece of technology. Or felt inferior for using it. Perhaps some younger folks do. Not sure. If so I find that a bit disconcerting. Oh well. Like the other poster said; each person should just buy what they like. If something other than a BlackBerry raises ones self esteem, then that's what one should get.

Me I could use a flip phone. Screw what others would think.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960, JGuez, shaleem and 3 others like this.
    10-19-12 11:07 AM
    My 9900 can do much more than an iphone 5 lol, people always try to show me the iphone and I know what it can't do because I had 4s.

Can't mess with the files on the device, can't download anything to the iphone without syncing it from a pc, on my blackberry I can download almost anything and save it to a removable card. I could go on for a while, point is many people don't even know what their device does they just want the latest to be safe by default.

Lol, I could find a bold 9000 that can do things an iphone 5 can't!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-19-12 03:04 PM
    My 9900 can do much more than an iphone 5 lol, people always try to show me the iphone and I know what it can't do because I had 4s.

Can't mess with the files on the device, can't download anything to the iphone without syncing it from a pc, on my blackberry I can download almost anything and save it to a removable card. I could go on for a while, point is many people don't even know what their device does they just want the latest to be safe by default.

My iPhone 5 can do a lot of things your 9900 can't. Heck my 4s can do things your 9900 can't.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-19-12 03:10 PM

Sure you can't play angry birds on a blackberry bold but you can send an email a lot more quickly and accurately than any Android or iPhone out there. And in this day and age getting things out quick through email is crucial.
    10-19-12 03:10 PM
    I have never been embarassed by any piece of technology. Or felt inferior for using it. Perhaps some younger folks do. Not sure. If so I find that a bit disconcerting. Oh well. Like the other poster said; each person should just buy what they like. If something other than a BlackBerry raises ones self esteem, then that's what one should get.

Me I could use a flip phone. Screw what others would think.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    This x100

10-19-12 03:11 PM
    you can send an email a lot more quickly and accurately than any Android or iPhone out there. crucial.
    This isn't true.

10-19-12 03:12 PM

My iPhone 5 can do a lot of things your 9900 can't. Heck my 4s can do things your 9900 can't.

Sure you can't play angry birds on a blackberry bold but you can send an email a lot more quickly and accurately than any Android or iPhone out there. And in this day and age getting things out quick through email is crucial.
    This isn't true.

Grow up boys.... this isn't a mud slinging match. Each platform will have it's strengths and weaknesses. That doesn't mean we participate in a slugfest. To each his own. After all, everyone needs a job.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-19-12 03:34 PM
    Grow up boys.... this isn't a mud slinging match. Each platform will have it's strengths and weaknesses. That doesn't mean we participate in a slugfest. To each his own. After all, everyone needs a job.
    No mud slinging, just annoyed by all the misinformed BB users .

10-19-12 03:55 PM
    Sweet...
    10-19-12 04:05 PM
    Then why are you here?

You know what annoys me? Misinformed iOS and Android users.

Do you know how I react? I don't read or participate on iOS and Android forums!
    10-19-12 04:25 PM
    Cnet also has a poll. . .Friday Poll: Are you ashamed of your BlackBerry? | Crave - CNET . . .let 'em know what the real deal is!!!!
    10-19-12 04:31 PM
    Then why are you here?

I enjoy the content that's posted on this site.

10-19-12 04:48 PM

That's awesome.

10-19-12 04:49 PM
    This isn't true.

Yes it is true! How about 30 days to send 1 email and a $450 cell phone bill for the data charge sending that email using vzw....

sydsam likes this.
    10-19-12 04:53 PM

And I assume you're here to educate us all?
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    10-19-12 04:56 PM

sometimes I really wish this site had a fail button.
    10-19-12 05:01 PM
    And I assume you're here to educate us all?
    Not really.

10-19-12 05:03 PM
    sometimes I really wish this site had a fail button.
    *Shrugs*...

10-19-12 05:04 PM
    Oh great, are we back to being told who can and can't post here by people who often haven't been a member of the community as long as the person being told they can't post here?

I don't have a BB anymore. I do sell them, tech support them, and have relationships with people who post here. I will continue to post here until I'm told I am no longer welcome by the people who own the site (none of the people posting in this thread thusfar), and if I see misinformation I will correct it.

If the people trying to control who can and can't post don't like that, there's an ignore button. Use it.

/rant

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-12 05:08 PM
    Oh great, are we back to being told who can and can't post here by people who often haven't been a member of the community as long as the person being told they can't post here?

I don't have a BB anymore. I do sell them, tech support them, and have relationships with people who post here. I will continue to post here until I'm told I am no longer welcome by the people who own the site (none of the people posting in this thread thusfar), and if I see misinformation I will correct it.

If the people trying to control who can't and can't post don't like that, there's an ignore button. Use it.

/rant

I'm going to write a script to just auto-thank your posts

I long for the old Crackberry days...back when BGR wasn't a swear word around here.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-19-12 05:13 PM
    *Shrugs*...

eh..
    10-19-12 05:18 PM
    I'm going to write a script to just auto-thank your posts

I long for the old Crackberry days...back when BGR wasn't a swear word around here.
    I will be glad for BB10 so that all the waiting and frustration will be replaced by happiness and the bullying can stop.

You know what annoys me? Misinformed people in general, who speak as if what they are saying is fact. About, anything. Especially when it is mostly driven by Blind Fanboyism.

Though, TBH, I mostly find all of it amusing when I am online killing time.

$0.02.
53 123