Right now I qualify for a iphone 5, 4s, or 4 upgrade on my att account, but not with any other phone. Att has random promotions like this on my account, so maybe the sales person wasn't lying after all.
    Same for me, but no thanks. Bring on the 10!
    01-01-13 06:26 PM
    i would. not everybody is a tech-junkie that needs today's hottest phone to get through the day. for some people (my mother included) it is about the keyboard and only the keyboard. skype doesn't matter, netflix doesn't matter, jetpack joyride, draw something and the top 10 on Google Play and Itunes app store don't matter. LTE, 4" screens and quad-core don't matter. the bells and whistles, the "cool"/"wow" factor don't matter. some people want a device that they feel comfortable using and for some that isn't what is selling like hotcakes right now (the trend). it's naive to think all store reps have happy customers in mind.
    Agreed. LOL@ Doodywhatever. Anyway, I have no problem offering a BB7 device as an "option" if someone wanted a BlackBerry- now, and decided that being the 1st on the block to have a BB10 device is not going to be an option for them and didn't want to wait. Trying to convince someone(that didn't want it) to buy a BlackBerry usually adds to a list of disgruntled owners that find things to complain about that most dismiss. Most of all, if that person doesn't want a BlackBerry, they have other choices. Again....not everyone will rush out to buy a BB10 device- off contract. I will. But, I usually do. That's business.....not backstabbing in the real world. Sales count.
    416to604 likes this.
    01-01-13 09:21 PM
    All I have heard is posters that are for or against RIM in this thread. Not one person has considered what the customer actually needs.

I would start by asking the customer the few most important questions of all; do you prefer a touch screen and do you use a lot of apps? if the answer is "No" to both then any of the BlackBerrry's would be a perfect match for this customer.

Seems that everyone from the carriers to the posters in this thread are only concerned about their own point of view. BlackBerry is the best choice and the worst choice; it just depends on who is looking.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    That's still pretty weak questioning. Camera quality? Web browsing? Media consumption? All of those would an iPhone or Android device the best choice. "A lot of apps" isn't all that specific, and many people want the option to use more if they need to. Preference on a touch screen may simply mean they haven't tried one, which wouldn't automatically say BB is better.

There is simply no BB device at any price point that doesn't have a better competitor right now. Unless you specifically need BB (BBM, extra secure etc) then until BB10 hits, salespeople are doing the right thing selling other devices.
    01-01-13 09:29 PM
    And likewise it's naive to think that everyone is like your mom who needs a keyboard when the sales reps know that every nth sale is a device with a touch screen with a large screen and access to the hottest apps. They're going by what sells, what most are after. The one mistake in all of this was because the rep didn't say "Hey if you like BlackBerry, hold on to your upgrade because they're about to release a great new OS..." Unfortunately, most reps don't get paid to think. They put forth enough effort at work to get their measly pay in most cases and call it a day. They see dozens of people every day and don't really give thought to any individual.
    That's a pretty crappy view of salespeople. Now, it is in their best interests to make a sale today, but regular customers, and the ones who act decent and ask for advice on phones could easily get a "if you need BB, wait a month" recommendation. But for anyone who has an immediate need/desire, or who has no strog preference, there would be no reason for a salespeson to encourage them to wait, as all their needs can be met with something else.
    brianatbb likes this.
    01-01-13 09:34 PM
    I would still recommend a bold 9900 for someone who favors communication over quelling ADD... especially if that device could be had off contract for $250 or less... but i would not "waste" a subsidy on an inexpensive device, BB or otherwise.
    A bold 9900 is $199 on contract or $549 without. Insane to take that over a SGS3 or iP5 for the same money.

Right now I qualify for a iphone 5, 4s, or 4 upgrade on my att account, but not with any other phone. Att has random promotions like this on my account, so maybe the sales person wasn't lying after all.
    iPhones are usually allowed an earlier upgrade on ATT. Has been that way for years.

So the same useless teenage experts at best buy work at AT&T after they get fired from best buy. The formula to this incident is simply Garbage in Garbage Out. Garbage retail sales people equal garbage products being recommended.
    Garbage salespeople would be pushing an old BB right now vs a much better equipped Android or iOS phone for the same $. Until BB10 arrives, it would be far more heinous to allow someone to sign a new contract on a BB7 device.
    01-01-13 09:53 PM
    Wow $199? They are $49 right now in Canada
    01-02-13 12:45 AM
    Wow $199? They are $49 right now in Canada
    Yup...if you want to be locked in for 3 years.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-02-13 01:35 AM
    There is simply no BB device at any price point that doesn't have a better competitor right now. Unless you specifically need BB (BBM, extra secure etc) then until BB10 hits, salespeople are doing the right thing selling other devices.
    That is market dependent I guess. Here, right now a 9220 Curve is €89 ($118?) Pay As You Go. That's not expensive if someone need that kind of phone, as the other phones on the same price bracket are the Galaxy Gio and lower end Nokia Ashas. If someone just wants BIS, BBM and a nice keyboard, we can't compare €89 for a curve with likely >€500 for a Z10.
    01-02-13 03:35 AM
    That's a pretty crappy view of salespeople. Now, it is in their best interests to make a sale today, but regular customers, and the ones who act decent and ask for advice on phones could easily get a "if you need BB, wait a month" recommendation. But for anyone who has an immediate need/desire, or who has no strog preference, there would be no reason for a salespeson to encourage them to wait, as all their needs can be met with something else.
    Notice I said "most" when making my point about salespeople. There are obviously exceptions to the rule (reeneebob is definitely one). In my years of electronics buying, I've known more about the prodcuts and services than the reps. When trying to troubleshoot, I've had reps tell me that what I'm experiencing is normal, when I KNOW otherwise. Last year I got a new laptop, and from day 1 I've had a problem with the cursor jumping around on me. Like I'll be typing in a field, then suddenly the cursor jumps and I'll be typing somewhere else. For a few months this didn't bother me that much, but I knew that if I decided to go back to school at some point (Dr. Penguin kinda has a ring to it, no?) that would get VERY aggrivating when trying to write essays. I took it back to Best Buy and explained my problem. Without even offering to look at it or send it back (it's still under warranty) the "Geek Squad" dude said "Oh, you're just resting your palm on the touch pad. Lift your hands when you type and that won't happen." ::headdesk:: I tried to nicely explain that I'm no stranger to laptops, I've had 5 in the past 15 years and that's NEVER happened. He insisted he was right and tried to push a Geek Squad protection plan on me. THAT'S the type of "customer service" I typically get with electronics retail, unfortunately.
    01-02-13 07:47 AM
    Carrier employees need to use equality and explain the pros and cons of any smartphone, not favor one over the other. They need to tailure to the consumer's needs.
    01-02-13 08:02 AM
    This is what's ridiculous. RIM lost so much marketshare and mindshare, yet the price of an inferior 9900 is the same as a SGIII (which is selling like hotcakes). Why would the average person even think about getting a 9900?
    Price points can make a huge difference, and when we had to burn a recent upgrade to add a line back to our plan, which made sense, a $48 Galaxy SIII, or a $200 outdated 9930? Black Friday saw some nice deals, and BlackBerry wasn't showing the love.

Oh, and the kicker, SVDO. Simultaneous Voice Data Optimization. Voice and data at the same time, which is pretty new on CDMA. The ability to use LTE is almost a bonus to that.
    01-02-13 08:38 AM
    Carrier employees need to use equality and explain the pros and cons of any smartphone, not favor one over the other. They need to tailure to the consumer's needs.
    Yes, because the typical carrier store employee making about $15 an hour is going to spend that much time getting to personally know each and every one of the customers that come into the shop.
    01-02-13 12:35 PM
    Yes, because the typical carrier store employee making about $15 an hour is going to spend that much time getting to personally know each and every one of the customers that come into the shop.
    All they need to do is ask a select few questions about what the person wants and what's important to them. Then they can give them a phone or two to consider. It's really not that big of a deal as you present it.
    01-02-13 01:40 PM
    Notice I said "most" when making my point about salespeople. There are obviously exceptions to the rule (reeneebob is de' one). In my years of electronics buying, I've known more about the prodcuts and services than the reps. When trying to troubleshoot, I've had reps tell me that what I'm experiencing is normal, when I KNOW otherwise. Last year I got a new laptop, and from day 1 I've had a problem with the cursor jumping around on me. Like I'll be typing in a field, then suddenly the cursor jumps and I'll be typing somewhere else. For a few months this didn't bother me that much, but I knew that if I decided to go back to school at some point (Dr. Penguin kinda has a ring to it, no?) that would get VERY aggrivating when trying to write essays. I took it back to Best Buy and explained my problem. Without even offering to look at it or send it back (it's still under warranty) the "Geek Squad" dude said "Oh, you're just resting your palm on the touch pad. Lift your hands when you type and that won't happen." ::headdesk:: I tried to nicely explain that I'm no stranger to laptops, I've had 5 in the past 15 years and that's NEVER happened. He insisted he was right and tried to push a Geek Squad protection plan on me. THAT'S the type of "customer service" I typically get with electronics retail, unfortunately.
    The unfortunate fact is, there is also still a hefty dose of chauvinism found in many sales venues, also. 'Little lady should listen to us because we know better' kind of attitude. It really annoyed me when I spent 6 months or so selling cars, and I didn't practice that unspoken 'policy', but some folks think it's still OK.
    01-02-13 02:32 PM
    The unfortunate fact is, there is also still a hefty dose of chauvinism found in many sales venues, also. 'Little lady should listen to us because we know better' kind of attitude. It really annoyed me when I spent 6 months or so selling cars, and I didn't practice that unspoken 'policy', but some folks think it's still OK.
    This is true, and very well might be the case.
    01-02-13 04:16 PM
    Notice I said "most" when making my point about salespeople. There are obviously exceptions to the rule (reeneebob is definitely one).
    Awww thanks, honey bunches of oats. I like you too.

All I want for Christmas, New Years and my birthday is hockey back, or Bettmans head on a platter. Whichever's easier...
    01-02-13 09:18 PM
    While I tend to agree with OP, the fact remains that it is what is best for that particular consumer and the needs that need to be fufilled. I think the sell what makes us the most profit attitude has hurt a lot of people, by that I mean consumers who pay these monthly fees, not the people collecting them obviously. I myself have been around the smartphone block. My first was a Treo 650, and then on to everything else, Iphone, Android, Windows, ect.. But I have always come back to Blackberry. I have been a fan from the get go. Just a matter of personal choice but I will continue to defend my Blackberry because I like them.... maybe too much!
    01-03-13 12:42 AM
92 ... 234