I live so far out that ever service comes in via satalite. Lol. Early this morning as N.Al was riddled with storms of course the sat. And hughes net was rain faded. But I was in the barn w/ my trusty blackberry and didn't miss a thing. It was the same thing that kept us aware last april. Sure as heck don't want to get caught off guard with a tornado around the corner.
    Doesn't matter its an android or ios device as long as it keeps your family informed when danger it lurking in the neighborhood.
    01-23-12 11:24 AM
    its always good to be informed...

i have always relied on my BBs.

i have relied on them so much so, that my alternate purpose, for any of my previous BBs are as paper weights on my desk.
    01-23-12 11:35 AM
    Glad you are all safe. Prayers go out to all those affected.

Seems I remember either news stories, blogs, or maybe just anecdotal info that BBM was key in some of the major disasters over the last couple of years - Haiti/tsunami/earthquakes, etc.

IIRC - when the phone systems were jammed for calls and general data services, folks communicating via BBM were able to keep communications going.

Anyone remember that? Wish I could find the references . . .
    01-23-12 11:36 AM
    I use my old blackberrys as external hdds.
    Alabama as rest of the world appreciate the prayers. Yes when the cell lines where jammed bbm still got thru. I wasn't using it but I was delivering water, food, generators, and other staples to effected areas and that's one of the main ways commucation was getting around. Email was prolly at tbe top of the list. I did a lot of emailing then.
    It sure amazes me how far smartphones has came. And all we can do is argue which one is better. We ought to just enjoy and use them like the creators intended us to do. I doubt tbey but all that work in our devices just for us to have something to argue about.
    01-23-12 01:43 PM
    I use my old blackberrys as external hdds.
    I've done that with my old Storm. Couldn't find a thumb-drive when I needed one quite badly before meeting with a client, so grabbed my old BB. I go through thumb-drives like sunglasses for some reason.
    01-23-12 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD