January 18, 2009, 2:43 PM
    Obama May Keep BlackBerry, But His Team Loses IM
    Posted by James M Klatell

(AP)It sounds like Barack Obama has won the war to keep his BlackBerry after he crosses the presidential threshold, but the rest of the incoming White House staff might have lost a battle over another commonplace tech tool.

Politico's Ben Smith writes that the new administration's legal team is signing everybody off of instant messenger.

"They just told us flat out we couldn't IM in the White House," one senior staffer told Politico.

The IM setback comes just after the tech-savvy president-elect announced that, despite initial objections from his legal team, he was probably going to hang on to some sort of mobile e-mail device.

I think we're going to be able to beat this back," Obama told CNN's John King when asked about his BlackBerry. "... I think we're going to be able to hang onto one of these. Now, my working assumption, and this is not new, is that everything I write on e-mail could end up being on CNN. So I make sure that to think before I press send."

You may ask why the White House is cracking down on simple technology that almost all of us use every day.

Well, there's always the chance that something embarrassing gets seared onto the digital record.

But, on the less scandalous end of the spectrum, the executive branch's public disclosure laws were written before the digital revolution. As Smith points out, "The Presidential Records Act requires White House documents to become public five years after a president leaves office, and most lawyers think it would apply to any instant messages discussing government business."

The 1978 could be updated to cover modern technologies Matthew Yglesias and Ezra Klein say it should be but, in the end, electronic communication creates a permanent record and somebody will always want to take a peek at what went on in the White House.

As Democrats on the Senate Intelligence and Judiciary Committees recently reminded the Bush administration, "We believe it is vital the presidential and vice presidential documents belonging to the American people be preserved."
    01-18-09 06:31 PM
    Very interesting thanks for sharing.
    01-18-09 06:34 PM
    This information is credited to the NSA and the AP:

But according to reports Thursday, Obama could now be in line to receive a spy-proof alternative to his favorite toy.
    Writing on his blog for the Atlantic magazine, Marc Ambinder reports that the National Security Agency has approved a $3,350 smartphone -- inevitably dubbed the "BarackBerry" -- for Obama's use.
    The exclusive Sectera Edge, made by General Dynamics, is reportedly capable of encrypting top secret voice conversations and handling classified documents.
    But Obama may have pushed his Secret Service handlers' technological patience far enough. Ambinder also reports that instant messaging in the White House will still be a definite no-no.
    01-22-09 09:44 AM
    Man that's crazy no IM'ing. I'd quit!
    01-22-09 10:07 AM
    My company just took away our IM in the office. Thank god for my Bberry
    01-22-09 10:37 AM
    At my Office I don't Allow My Employees To IM either.

They Should Be Worrying about their work, and not their conversations with friends.

I would think that this rule would apply to the White House as well.

It's very quick and easy to send information to outside parties via AIM.

Doesn't Surprise Me Really.
    01-22-09 11:17 AM
    Here is some information on his new device:

And here is the spec sheet:
    http://www.3cintelligentsecuritysolu...era_Edge-w.pdf
    01-23-09 09:12 AM
    Here is some information on his new device:

And here is the spec sheet:
    http://www.3cintelligentsecuritysolu...era_Edge-w.pdf
    I've been looking for this! Thanks!
    01-23-09 11:10 AM
    I bet he has an assistant tailing him around holding and operating that for him. No BB user would be caught dead holding that device
    01-23-09 11:20 AM
    I bet he has an assistant tailing him around holding and operating that for him. No BB user would be caught dead holding that device
    LMAO! It does seem kinda ummm... clunky... Maybe it's a music player too.
    01-23-09 11:38 AM
    LMAO! It does seem kinda ummm... clunky... Maybe it's a music player too.
    Yep, and a link to Big Brother too.
    01-23-09 11:41 AM
    I've been looking for this! Thanks!
    You're very welcome. I have more info on it if you're ever in the mood for more.
    01-23-09 11:55 AM
    At my Office I don't Allow My Employees To IM either.

They Should Be Worrying about their work, and not their conversations with friends.

I would think that this rule would apply to the White House as well.

It's very quick and easy to send information to outside parties via AIM.

Doesn't Surprise Me Really.
    Depends on the IM program: using the internal IM program that doesn't allow external users is handy. I have had a setup like that a company and it is easy to send a quick message and it keeps me from getting caught up in yet another time wasting conversation with someone that doesn't know how to STFU. The down side is if logs are kept they can be subpoenaed and people seem to forget that stupid stuff said on an IM is just as bad as stupid stuff in an e-mail.
    01-25-09 10:26 PM
    This information is credited to the NSA and the AP:

But according to reports Thursday, Obama could now be in line to receive a spy-proof alternative to his favorite toy.
    Writing on his blog for the Atlantic magazine, Marc Ambinder reports that the National Security Agency has approved a $3,350 smartphone -- inevitably dubbed the "BarackBerry" -- for Obama's use.
    The exclusive Sectera Edge, made by General Dynamics, is reportedly capable of encrypting top secret voice conversations and handling classified documents.
    But Obama may have pushed his Secret Service handlers' technological patience far enough. Ambinder also reports that instant messaging in the White House will still be a definite no-no.
    The issue isn't whether folks can track him, every intelligence agency in the world knows where he is. I think they are more concerned the devices could be used to monitor his surroundings, much like the Onstar devices can be turned on without the owner's knowledge. Further, anything he types is supposed to be public record. Which would suck if you were him. Every e-mail is supposedly history. There needs to be an exclusion for personal e-mails, much as there is an exclusion for personal letters from the president.
    01-25-09 10:35 PM
    For real, I would be embarrassed to pull that out. Its one of those phones you definitely don't want to be caught in public with.
    02-16-09 07:20 PM
    Well if you look at what all the phone has to do then you can see why it's so big. It has a CAC reader (size of credit card), has interchangeable radio to support CDMA or GSM or WiFi, a serial port, second LCD information screen, plus it basically has to have two sets of PDA hardware (class side hardware and unclass side hardware and they can't talk to each other).

And it wasn't approved for or because of him. It's just getting press now because he used a Blackberry and they are theorizing that he will use this.
    02-17-09 08:32 AM
    Interesting one, Thanks
    02-18-09 01:39 AM
    Great find. I'd be pissed if I couldn't im but if it is for secruity reasons so be it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 09:21 AM
    That would be hard to put in my pant's or jacket pocket

Secure or not, that damn thing is an ugly brick
    02-22-09 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD