Hi guys! I'm new here, and don't yet own a BB. I will be upgrading my current phone next month, and have been doing research, but wanted some opinions here.

First off, I'm a Verizon user, and will stick with them. They have the best reception in my area, and I've been very happy with them.

With upgrading a phone, of course, there are about ten different options. Treo, BB, and their other smartphones. It's hard deciding between all of them since I've never had a BB or smartphone.

I'm a long-time Windows user. I had a Palm about eight years ago and never could quite figure out the interface.

My requirements are these: I need a good PDA type device for quick access to certain programs (veterinary related), spreadsheets, email and internet. I use Mozilla Thunderbird as an email client, which I've read is near impossible to sync with any PDA phone. I could switch to Outlook, but only if I have to.

I will be in veterinary clinics and hope to use this device heavily. At first I was considering getting a dedicated PDA like PocketPC, but they are so overpriced and clunky that I thought a PDA/phone combo would be best.

Verizon offers choices of the BB 8830, 8703, and 8130. From the reviews I've read, the 8130 is the most popular. But I don't like the lack of a FULL QWERTY keyboard, which makes me lean towards the first two. And the 8130 seems much smaller, and for what I need it for (spreadsheets, drug dosing, medicine articles) I don't mind having a bigger phone. I wish the other two had cameras as I take lots of pictures of my veterinary cases, so that's a problem for me. Verizon also offers the Palm Treo 700p and 700wx phones, which I've been considering.

I'm sure I'll find lots of opinions, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? Are there any doctors out there that use any of these phones in clinics?

I'm very technology savvy and I'm sure will quickly learn how to use any phone I end up getting. I just want to get the best phone for what my needs are. Thoughts?
    03-05-08 11:30 AM
    im not sure. but i dont think BB have anytype of spreedsheet program. dont quote me on that. and welcome to CB
    03-05-08 11:33 AM
    There are some third party apps for spreadsheets. GridMagic to name one.
    03-05-08 11:46 AM
    It seems the 8300 would best suit me, but of course, Verizon doesn't have it. Can't seem to find any info if it's coming. Called Verizon, they said they are discontinuing the 8703. So that leaves the 8830 or 8130 for now...I think...
    03-05-08 12:11 PM
    Well, there's always the NUCLEAR option for you. You could switch to AT&T and enjoy everything you've described NOW with the 8310 Curve.

Have you checked AT&T coverage in your area? What's your zip code?
    03-05-08 12:43 PM
    i love the pearl and its size. you should try one out. i PREFER suretype to having a full qwerty - it's faster for me. plus it has the camera and everything you will want. 8830s seem to be on the way out. i know a lot of people selling them (i'm selling one for a family member right now). no word on when verizon will get the curve. but, if you decide you want the curve go for it. i wouldn't switch from verizon either, but you don't have a choice right now if you want the curve. maybe the 8830 would work well for you. i like verizon's fast data speed and service. sounds like you have a tough decision! let us know what you decide and good luck
    03-05-08 12:50 PM
    Well, there's always the NUCLEAR option for you. You could switch to AT&T and enjoy everything you've described NOW with the 8310 Curve.

Have you checked AT&T coverage in your area? What's your zip code?
    61802. I used to have AT&T, and got dropped calls like you wouldn't believe (years ago). Unfortunately, I'm in a contract with VZW until the end of September...
    03-05-08 01:06 PM
    yeah man dont limit yourself to one carrier, i have been with a few and have found tmobile to be excellent in customer service and above average reliabilty in coverage. i dont think you can get a full BB service package for less at any other carrier (except maybe sprint now...but whatever you decide dont do that).
    i have had a treo before my 8100 and never again, way to many issues to go into, just my 2c.....
    03-05-08 01:13 PM
    AT&T Coverage Viewer

Here you are, just in case you know ;-)
    03-05-08 01:15 PM
    My suggestion would be to buy a used BB ( I bought the 8703e) and then hope and pray the Curve will be out sometime soon (there are rumors, just read the board.) That is exactly what I am doing, since I really wanted a camera with my phone. My 8703e is my first bb and I love it! I don't see how I lived without it
    03-05-08 01:19 PM
    just another thought, if your upgrading (ie..not at the point of expired contract) your phone next month, you are going to pay upwards of $400 to get the new phone.
    why not cancel the service, pay 150-200 cancellation fee, use letstalkdotcom to get new service and pay around $75 for new curve and start afresh......thats what i'd be looking at......
    03-05-08 01:19 PM
    the tmobile curve has a camera by the way
    03-05-08 01:22 PM
    The Curve is a great phone I love it, and I have Tmobile. If you dont switch I would just get a used BB as stated before, and wait for the Curve to arrive at VZW.
    03-05-08 01:31 PM
    I recommend the 8830. As you can probably guess by my nick, I got a red one last month. Not only is the appearance really sharp (keys light up white which is a nice touch), but I've been able to add more than a few apps (including a Remote Desktop viewer) and I've been able to view most of the attachments that come with my email. But the big kicker for me has been battery life. It is simply astonishing how great this battery is. For me, that makes up for some of its shortcomings (such as the lack of a camera). I'm not sure if this helped at all, but just my $.02 on how great this phone has been from a 2 year Moto Q user.
    03-05-08 01:47 PM
    I don't know how soon the CDMA version of the Curve will be released, but if you can wait a short while, it may become available by the time you switch.
    03-05-08 02:23 PM
    I recommend the 8830. I'm not sure if this helped at all, but just my $.02 on how great this phone has been from a 2 year Moto Q user.
    How did you like the Moto Q?
    03-05-08 02:27 PM
    just another thought, if your upgrading (ie..not at the point of expired contract) your phone next month, you are going to pay upwards of $400 to get the new phone.
    why not cancel the service, pay 150-200 cancellation fee, use letstalkdotcom to get new service and pay around $75 for new curve and start afresh......thats what i'd be looking at......
    That's not a bad idea. It's $175 to cancel Verizon, but if I got the Curve thru Amazon, it'd be -$75 if I signed up with AT&T. So the whole conversion would cost me $100 for a brand new BB.

Doesn't that seem odd?? And does anyone have opinions of AT&T vs. TMobile? I've loved Verizon's service area coverage and cust. service, so it'd be sad to leave them. But I'm more concerned about money than loyalty

Edit: It seems T-Mobile totally blows for service coverage in my area. So they're out. That leaves AT&T, but everyone I know and talk to are on Verizon, so I save a lot of $ through unlimited M2M calls.

I also just realized that none of these phones have wi-fi. The 8820 does, thru AT&T. So maybe I should start looking there. Or just sit and wait and see if VZW will ever release a new Blackberry.

Incidentally, there are some nuts on Amazon saying that BB are the worst, most outdated phones ever built. That real professionals don't use them. Is there any truth to that at all?
    Last edited by bgstewar; 03-05-08 at 05:06 PM.
    03-05-08 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD