I browse these forums almost daily and keep seeing all of these horrible threads with people stating their experiences with misinformed sales reps and the likes regarding the current status of BlackBerry. I usually chocked it up as isolated occurrences, as I had never experienced anything to the extent of what was usually being posted here. Especially since I live in Canada where BlackBerry knowledge seems to be slightly better. Well, that all changed today when I spoke with a customer service rep at Golf Now in the US.

I called into Golf Now to change a tee time and while speaking to the rep I noticed that they offered a mobile app for Android and IOS so I asked if there was a BB10 one in the works. Her reply was "No, haven't you heard? They went out of business and you are the 2nd person to ask that this week". I could feel my face going red but I calmed myself and in good Crackberry fashion I stopped to inform her of the actual facts. I also told her about the abilities of BB10 with using Android apps through Snap and the Amazon store. She thanked me for the info stating that she will inform others of this when the question comes up again. She changed me tee time and we hung up.

Now that I have experienced this hands on, my fear is that BlackBerry in the USA has sunk too far to ever (or at least in the near future) make a strong comeback in the USA. So my two questions are: what, if anything, can be done? and Is it imperative to have strong numbers in the USA to be viewed as a major player?
    04-30-14 11:45 AM
    It's the media! Blame it on the media! They need to spread a better word!
    bungaboy, mzceetee, riss89 and 3 others like this.
    04-30-14 11:57 AM
    1. An extensive well done marketing campaign featuring ads that acknowledge past shortcomings and current misconceptions and attacks them head on.

2. Yes.
    04-30-14 12:01 PM
    Any reason, why youngsters should go for BB10? when they already have Android to do all that stuff they want.
    and androids are already available in a wide range, people don't even bother. I hope z3 will gain some attraction.
    problem for z3 will be-by may-z10 will become its toughest competitor
    04-30-14 12:05 PM
    What needs to be done?
    • Marketing
    • A way to officially and easily get the apps that people expect
    • Marketing
    • New Z10, with better battery life but at the same price point.
    • Marketing
    • New Z30, with equal to every other super device specs and a competitive price point.
    • Marketing
    • Full Carrier support - they'll have to pay to get it now
    • Marketing
    • Billions of dollars to spend overcoming their reputation and the "their out of business"

Do they need the USA... NO. But the question is why doesn't the US want them.... Is it because Americans don't like Canadians or is it because as networks advanced and matured the BlackBerry devices showed they were not keeping up with more modern devices?

Looking a most of the world figures, it sure seems that it isn't a national issue or cultural issue. But an issue of what type of networks are in use (2G 3G 4G) and the importance of having a BBOS devices with BIS capabilites.
    04-30-14 12:06 PM
    this is a north american website, we dont know how its like in other markets. Perhaps the Indonesian market has a way better fan support/sales than north america which is why BB has targeted for its next phone release.
    04-30-14 12:15 PM
    I actually sent Golf Now a feedback email & asked them if they could make an app for BB10 a couple weeks ago. I think I received an automated response, thanking me for my email, yadayadayada.

Anyhow, I'm not certain BlackBerry is ready to tackle their market share in the U.S. With all the issues they face they need to take a systematic approach to repairing BlackBerry as a whole & I believe that is what they're doing... finally! With John Chen, they now have a direction which is FIRST, to gain & retain corporate clients which I believe is a smart move. Once they gain traction, if they do they will be better placed to tackle consumer market share & the lack of native apps etc... they simply don't have the resources to fight all the problems all at once. I've accepted that and am just happy they are alive & have a plan other than to sell to the highest bidder, admitting defeat. Moves such as partnering with Foxconn & introducing an affordable device (Z3) are also smart & should serve them well. For now, it's best to not even bother with ill informed people as that is just a losing battle. They need to take small steps to recovery & right now that is their bread & butter... corporate accounts!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 01:05 PM
    What needs to be done?
    • Marketing
    • Marketing
    • Marketing
    • New Z30, with equal to every other super device specs and a competitive price point.
    • Marketing
    • Marketing
    • Billions of dollars to spend overcoming their reputation and the "their out of business"

Do they need the USA... NO. But the question is why doesn't the US want them.... Is it because Americans don't like Canadians or is it because as networks advanced and matured the BlackBerry devices showed they were not keeping up with more modern devices?

Looking a most of the world figures, it sure seems that it isn't a national issue or cultural issue. But an issue of what type of networks are in use (2G 3G 4G) and the importance of having a BBOS devices with BIS capabilites.
    I always love seeing that list
    Now if someone at BlackBerry would just look at that..

Posted via CB10
    Donnierock and kbz1960 like this.
    04-30-14 01:26 PM
    BlackBerry is still here in Middle East and people love it especially the QWERTY devices, two weeks ago I showed to my friend one of statistics about one of my app and it was:
    #Q10 46.47%
    #Q5 30.33%
    #Z10 22.14%
    #Z30 1.03%
    Total of downloads around 34,000
    The statistics was made based on an application downloads from Saudi Arabia only, and the purpose of app is to give some service to pre-paid package users

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 01:48 PM
    What needs to be done?
    • Marketing
    • Marketing
    • Marketing
    • Marketing
    • Marketing

Did you mention marketing?

Posted via CB10 with z10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-30-14 01:55 PM
    BlackBerry is still here in Middle East and people love it especially the QWERTY devices, two weeks ago I showed to my friend one of statistics about one of my app and it was:
    #Q10 46.47%
    #Q5 30.33%
    #Z10 22.14%
    #Z30 1.03%
    Total of downloads around 34,000
    The statistics was made based on an application downloads from Saudi Arabia only, and the purpose of app is to give some service to pre-paid package users
    Thanks.... shows why Chen is doing a "Classic".

I assume your app isn't available on other platforms, even BBOS?
    04-30-14 02:04 PM
    I never understood why the first thing people mention when praising their BB10 phone is the ability to run Android apps. I would mention that a lot, ever. it's like saying "I know we don't have many apps, but we can workaround that by stealing another competitor's ecosystem".
    04-30-14 02:51 PM
    Now that I have experienced this hands on, my fear is that BlackBerry in the USA has sunk too far to ever (or at least in the near future) make a strong comeback in the USA. So my two questions are: what, if anything, can be done? and Is it imperative to have strong numbers in the USA to be viewed as a major player?
    I can tell you as a U.S. person that no one talks about BB. It's like they don't exist here. I really only see them in big companies and they are the old BB7 devices. The Big Company I work in which is crazy slow to upgrade to current tech (Windows XP desktops are everywhere) you see some BB7 devices but new devices are your choice of iPhone or Samsung S4. With no TV Ads or Carriers that care to showcase BB phones or train anyone on them BB is dead to anyone who is just a normal person who doesn't read tech sites. That's most of the U.S. Big trouble for BB if USA is important to their recovery.
    04-30-14 03:25 PM
    Marketing, marketing,marketing...did I say marketing??...when you get flyers in the mail or for your local carriers that have specials on phones, where is the blackberry? When you go to the stores, where is the blackberry? Commercials? Hmmm...you mean the last one they showed during the suerbowl????.....lol.....

Posted via CB10 with z10
    04-30-14 03:31 PM
    Marketing, marketing,marketing...did I say marketing??...when you get flyers in the mail or for your local carriers that have specials on phones, where is the blackberry? When you go to the stores, where is the blackberry? Commercials? Hmmm...you mean the last one they showed during the suerbowl????.....lol...
    Those ads are co-funded by the manufacturers. For example, you might get a Best Buy (or Verizon) ad with ads/sales on iPhone and the HTC One M8, because Apple and HTC co-funded the ad costs with Best Buy (or Verizon), and if that week, Samsung didn't provide co-funding, they aren't featured in that week's ads.

BB has seemingly cut off co-funding almost a year ago, so you aren't going to see such ads until that money starts flowing again. Not that I expect that to happen now, when most stores no longer even carry the brand at all.
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    04-30-14 05:03 PM
    I browse these forums almost daily...
    If your statement above is true...
    So my two questions are: what, if anything, can be done? and Is it imperative to have strong numbers in the USA to be viewed as a major player?
    You should have seen the answer (or at least opinions) to your questions here at least 10K instances.
    LoL.
    dboy54 likes this.
    04-30-14 05:37 PM
    BlackBerry is focusing on US enterprise, particularly in regulated spaces. Word will get out but it will take time.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 06:38 PM
    Oh and for all those saying that BlackBerry marketing is completely AWOL in the US aren't acknowledging the placements on major shows like Veep, Good Wife, Newsroom, House of Cards, etc.

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    04-30-14 06:47 PM
    seems Blackberry has more strength out there. is it marketing?
    I think so. The BlackBerry Power Tour visiting universities in the UAE for example.

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    04-30-14 06:48 PM
    I don't think anything can be done directly for the consumer market. They had a chance with the launch of BB10. Now it's far too late. Their best hope is to aim for the corporate market, and in hopes, if that works, they can then ease their way into the consumer market.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and kevinnugent like this.
    04-30-14 08:24 PM
    Oh and for all those saying that BlackBerry marketing is completely AWOL in the US aren't acknowledging the placements on major shows like Veep, Good Wife, Newsroom, House of Cards, etc.

Posted via CB10
    valid point. a lot of the spottings and sitings of BBRY devices posted in the sticky thread for it include screenshots of them in TV shows and movies.. Which is a good thng! But there's definitely needs to be more done, like actual commercials and advertising on TV, in movie theater previews, on billboards, through restaurant partnerships and sponsorship, celebrity sponsorship even.. they could buy a SuperBowl ad even! there's so many options and BBRY hasn't been taking full advantage of them
    neoberry99 likes this.
    04-30-14 08:37 PM
    I never understood why the first thing people mention when praising their BB10 phone is the ability to run Android apps. I would mention that a lot, ever. it's like saying "I know we don't have many apps, but we can workaround that by stealing another competitor's ecosystem".
    I don't see it any different than someone who advertises that Mac computers with specified software have the ability to run software that were designed for PC's. Salespersons often use this approach when confronted about the lack of available software for a Mac when compared to a PC.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    04-30-14 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Product placement is only effective if there is already strong brand recognition and good public perception. Without that, it's useless.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    Nemzy and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-30-14 08:41 PM
    Great response. Exactly what I see. And really hope they come full circle.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 08:56 PM
    My point wasn't that I can run the android app. I was asking for native, but when she said BlackBerry is out of business I explained otherwise and told her that in the meantime tell people to download the android app and hope a native bb10 one soon is in the works.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 09:00 PM
51 123