Does anyone know of an app or a way to have the BlackBerry announce your caller?

I love DriveSafe.ly as it announces and reads my emails and texts. Unfortunately, it cannot announce incoming phone calls. Ringtones are helpful, but I would like the caller's name and number announced instead. My friends' cheap phones can do it and we are on the same carrier.

Thank you for any info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 03:41 PM
    not that I know of
    02-15-10 04:09 PM
    This would be awesome. And I was thinking about this last night lol

02-15-10 04:50 PM
    You could record the names of callers and mp3 tones and upload them to your phone and then assign them to your callers.

MP3 wouldn't have to be full quality and would be very short if it's just a callers name so wouldn't take too much space so on a memory card wouldn't be a concern
    squished18 likes this.
    02-15-10 05:12 PM
    Perhaps make a request in the app developer forum. Or possibly even directly email the drivesafe.ly developers?
    02-15-10 05:12 PM
    Make your own ringtone announcing the name and then set that as the contact alert.

You can create your own text to speech sounds here.
    AT&T Labs Natural Voices� Text-to-Speech Demo
    02-15-10 05:47 PM
    I had the same idea as a couple others ( making sound clips of the name and setting it as the ringtone ), but if you know any devs, it would be a great thing to request, or even just submit it as a tip to any app makers that you enjoy their work.

I'm a programmer, but I haven't really looked at programming for the BB at all, more caught up currently in some prime number research theory and such.
    02-15-10 07:02 PM
    You could record the names of callers and mp3 tones and upload them to your phone and then assign them to your callers.
    Make your own ringtone announcing the name and then set that as the contact alert.

You can create your own text to speech sounds here.
    AT&T Labs Natural Voices� Text-to-Speech Demo
    I had the same idea as a couple others ( making sound clips of the name and setting it as the ringtone .
    Thank you for the tips! I have 100+ contacts, most with two or more different numbers (cell, home, work). This task would be a bit daunting.

Perhaps make a request in the app developer forum. Or possibly even directly email the drivesafe.ly developers?
    I will, actually. I was tracking down their tech support today. Thanks.

--> Contact Support � DriveSafe.ly
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 02-15-10 at 08:41 PM. Reason: put in request with hopes
    02-15-10 08:34 PM
    Does anyone know of an app or a way to have the BlackBerry announce your caller?

I love DriveSafe.ly as it announces and reads my emails and texts. Unfortunately, it cannot announce incoming phone calls. Ringtones are helpful, but I would like the caller's name and number announced instead. My friends' cheap phones can do it and we are on the same carrier.

Thank you for any info.

this would fit right in with safe driving habits. the bad thing about assigning a ringtone, at least for me, I use the same ringtone for multiple people.
    02-15-10 08:48 PM
    Has anyone made any progress on finding an app that will do this? The last couple phones I had (most recently the Casio Boulder) had the option to announce the caller (by name if in contacts and by number if not in contacts). It was pretty sweet for screening calls and didn't require making or assigning different ringtones. While you didn't have to set different ringtones, it would still play ringtones set for that caller. ex. When a call comes in, it would say "call from Bob, mobile" then would ring, then would repeat the process. If the caller id wasn't in contacts it would read the phone number aloud. I really liked being able to know who was calling without having to unholster and look at the screen. Setting a custom ringtone for each person would work, but is messy and I can't remember who I set each for anyway!
    04-08-10 01:54 PM
    I want it please,+265882222384, for my blackberry 8900
    03-26-13 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD