My brother in law works privately for someone in NYC. This person said "hey have you heard about this Blackberry Z10?" He has heard about it. But she said she might be getting one. Just makes me smile that there is awareness.

Also, at work (software engineers) everyone is aware of the Z10. Not that they will be running out to get one. Most have a phone that works and have no interest in upgrading. One will never get one becasue "RIM is dead". One is an SG4 holdout ..... for now ;-) But talking to some old friends I haven't seen in 6 months, I mentioned the Z10. They have all heard of it and are curious. I promised to bring mine in when I get it and show it to them.

Where I am going with this is that everyone seems to be aware of this thing in the USA. Those that are aware fall into:
    - the curious but don't care category.
    - Some are entrenched in iOS and Android and don't care to change no matter what.
    - Some won't do an early upgrade if it was made out of solid gold. But there is awareness.
    - Some will upgrade (as they are due)
    - Many more people are open minded (nut not ready for upgrade) to see what the Z10 can do. Those open minded folks are the group that I think will make Z10 succeed longer term.

If BBRY gets 0.5% of the USA smartphone market in 3 months, I think that is huge. And 0.5% is not that much. Thing is, I think they could easily get to double digit market share in 1-2 years.

Just some random musings for the day.

Any other USA members have these kinds of experiences with awareness and willingness to adopt BB10?
    02-09-13 08:30 PM
    I think there is a cautious curiosity about the new BB's with people who haven't used a BB in a while, people who switched but miss the BB experience. I haven't talked with anyone who 'can't wait' for it to be released though. I should say that my circle of co-workers is relatively small so I'm not disappointed by that. Many in my office know I'm waiting for the release and are anxious to give it a look over which is a good thing. My fear is that the issues I'm reading about won't be fixed before the release. If that happens, I worry about the success of the US launch.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-09-13 09:20 PM
    I agree 100% kfh227. All of my coworkers, friends and family know that I use a BlackBerry. I've caught so much crap for it in the last few years too.. So much in fact that it is just sort of running joke. When any of the people "in my circle" have an issue with their phone, I always say jokingly "you shoulda got a BlackBerry" and then I brace myself for the blow-back.

And now that the Z10 is coming, I am constantly having friends and coworkers tell me that they've heard about the new phone coming out from BlackBerry. So there is definite awareness out there. Every major nightly news program and morning new program in the U.S. has done a story on it and they're building it up like a big dramatic story of an under dog trying to make a come back. I also truly think there are a lot of people that are just bored with Apple and Android and looking for something new. Everyone knows BlackBerry used to be the king and they all know that the new phone has to be pretty darn good for BlackBerry to build up the hype so much.

I really think their sales are going to be pretty good in the U.S... Easily 10% of the market. BlackBerry really needs it to be a solid launch though. Americans are not forgiving in the least. But if BlackBerry can provide a viable option to the "long in the tooth" Apple or the "quite fragmented" Android, they will do very, very well.
    02-10-13 10:00 AM
    A lot of people are of the perception that somehow magically BB 10 will be an instant hit and take massive market share away from Apple and Google. That's just not the way things work. Blackberry has a really tough road ahead, but as long as they constantly innovate and always keep pace with the big players their market will grow. At one point this will reach critical mass and the popularity will explode. Unfortunately this doesn't happen overnight.

Blackberry is definitely on the right track, they have the momentum they need to start regaining lost market share, they now need to ensure that this momentum does not decrease. I don't really want to see explosive overnight growth, I would really like to see steady growth instead.

There's still a lot of negativity towards the Blackberry brand, these people will be the last one to convert (if ever). Right now we're selling to the loyalists and perhaps to the ones on the fence, it's a good start. Blackberry still has to prove that the screw ups of the past have been left behind when RIM died.
    02-10-13 10:10 AM
    3 years.

Blackberry will have at least 35% market share. Mark my words.
    02-10-13 01:09 PM
    3 years.

That's a very long shot, IMHO.
    02-10-13 04:19 PM
    BlackBerry has got to somehow make it known that BlackBerry 10 phones are absolutely nothing like people's old Curve 8300s or Bold 9000s that had a trackball that got gross after a month, and a spinning clock when the phone was slowing down.

Those are the bad memories that people have from their BlackBerry days, and BlackBerry should let everyone know that those days are over.
    Last edited by SK122387; 02-10-13 at 04:46 PM.
    ctuffy and BBVegasGirl80 like this.
    02-10-13 04:26 PM
    The yanks are well aware of the new phones. Problem is most are very cynical.....BB needs to keep there foot on the gas of their marketing machine, they will make in roads, but they can't let up.
    02-10-13 04:38 PM
    Just remember the Z10 is going to have some good sales. Now imagine if the Q10 also gets some solid sales that's pretty Scarry because I think most of us believe the Z10 is doing pretty well. Imagine the Q10 has the same kind of buying reaction. That's massive
    02-10-13 05:04 PM
    Just remember the Z10 is going to have some good sales. Now imagine if the Q10 also gets some solid sales that's pretty Scarry because I think most of us believe the Z10 is doing pretty well. Imagine the Q10 has the same kind of buying reaction. That's massive
    Good Point EvanRitch! And after the Q10, the quad core Aristo will debut!
    If they can just work the bugs out to create some legitimate positive reviews, BlackBerry will be the large feared 3rd place holder (in the U.S. and across the world) that we all know they can be.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    02-10-13 06:21 PM
    Good Point EvanRitch! And after the Q10, the quad core Aristo will debut!
    If they can just work the bugs out to create some legitimate positive reviews, BlackBerry will be the large feared 3rd place holder (in the U.S. and across the world) that we all know they can be.
    I think the Reviews are actually pretty good. I feel like its 50/50 but thats expected. Give a guy who has a MacBook Pro and an Iphone the Z10 and tell him to review it? Clearly he might think its good but it's not going to be his cup of tea. I feel like the reviews give off a decent to good overall.

The thing the Z10 and Q10 have is ALOT of hype and some decent advertising newer commercials and just ads everywhere. ALSO I think one HUGE HUGE HUGE thing was having a White Z10 as well. Im not sure why but I feel like black would just give everything an overall plain look which is fine but having the option for White can't be under estimated. Even if the black sells better then the white it just gives a FRESH feel to Blackberry and a nice option for buyers. Seriously adding White is really huge LOVE IT! As far as im concerned Blackberry is pretty much doing everything right.

I hope the Q10 Gets about 2 months and then they announce the Aristo again to hopefully come out on Black Friday weekend. That would be so crazy, maybe mix the Aristo debut with a big sale on Z10's and you would have the perfect weekend Black Friday with BLACK berry, it really is the PERFECT holiday for Blackberry due to the name!
    02-10-13 06:48 PM
    Agree that 35% market share is a long shot. I think it is best case though.

I think it is easily reasonable to say 20% though, even in the USA.
    02-10-13 07:10 PM
    The yanks are well aware of the new phones. Problem is most are very cynical.....BB needs to keep there foot on the gas of their marketing machine, they will make in roads, but they can't let up.
    Seems like marketting ramped up in Canada after release or just prior to. Those adverts in Wal-Mart are burned into my brain. If BBRY does that in the USA, awareness will be HUGE in the USA. Better yet would be to have in store demos with people from Blackberry. Maybe even couple it with 10% off when Blackberry people are in store. People love sales! BBRY could even determine the top 5% of Wal-Mart stores where this would make sense and target those at release.
    02-10-13 07:13 PM
    I think the Reviews are actually pretty good. I feel like its 50/50 but thats expected. Give a guy who has a MacBook Pro and an Iphone the Z10 and tell him to review it? Clearly he might think its good but it's not going to be his cup of tea. I feel like the reviews give off a decent to good overall.

The thing the Z10 and Q10 have is ALOT of hype and some decent advertising newer commercials and just ads everywhere. ALSO I think one HUGE HUGE HUGE thing was having a White Z10 as well. Im not sure why but I feel like black would just give everything an overall plain look which is fine but having the option for White can't be under estimated. Even if the black sells better then the white it just gives a FRESH feel to Blackberry and a nice option for buyers. Seriously adding White is really huge LOVE IT! As far as im concerned Blackberry is pretty much doing everything right.

I hope the Q10 Gets about 2 months and then they announce the Aristo again to hopefully come out on Black Friday weekend. That would be so crazy, maybe mix the Aristo debut with a big sale on Z10's and you would have the perfect weekend Black Friday with BLACK berry, it really is the PERFECT holiday for Blackberry due to the name!
    When the next crop of Blackberry's come this summer (I think that's their plan), they should release 3 colors. Black, white and red. That red one I've seen in pictures is AWESOME. I'd take that over white.

Like the Black Friday idea but I hope Aristo is launched sooner than that.
    02-10-13 07:15 PM
    I know I spread bb10 awareness day in and day out. Just need one in my hands to test for myself and show off.
    02-10-13 10:34 PM
    Agree that 35% market share is a long shot. I think it is best case though.

I think it is easily reasonable to say 20% though, even in the USA.

*sigh*

"Realistic" thinkers...

02-11-13 12:29 AM
  17. Professional_Tickle_Fighter's Avatar
    3 years.

Mid teens in the USA would be a miracle and very good for them. In three years my prediction woud be: IOS 35%, Android 45%, BB 10%, others 10%.
    02-11-13 12:57 AM