Android Central had a good write up about the perspective of DevCon from Android developers point of view.

http://www.androidcentral.com/taking...-devcon-europe

Of all the things about BB10 i've heard and read, this is probably (imo) the thing that is going to make or break it for RIM. Once they get more apps on board, and the devs see how easy it is to port (if it is easy..i really have no idea as i'm not an app builder), I could in all honesty see lots of people jumping on board of this win win scenario.

All in all, the guys at RIM are welcoming developers from across the board with open arms, not just from Android. But there was a definite buzz around the conference. Nobody is begging for anything from anybody. There will always be different platforms, and competition between the platforms. But Android developers will continue to make killer apps for Android, and continue to deserve to make money from it. We should all be supporting our developers to further success by moving into BlackBerry 10 as well.
    02-08-12 11:45 AM
    Richard has been helping me at DevCon this week... did a great job filming the Push Up Challenge and more!!

He wrote a solid article. Definitely worth a read. He was carrying a Galaxy Nexus with him all week, but you could see he had a glimmer of BlackBerry excitement in his eye the whole time too. Good stuff all around. Exciting times!
    02-08-12 12:05 PM
    nice read, thanks
    02-08-12 12:45 PM
    My only problem right now is deciding which development path to use for my next app. The Playbook supports so many languages and techniques now (most of which will support multi-platform deploy) that just about anyone who has developed anything mobile will find something that's comfortable for them. Even of you use HTML5, you can still have access to native functionality. If you've developed anything for Android (especially in Flash Builder), it's a no-brainer to spend a little time repackaging the app for App World.

I'm sure that 2.0 will be great, but I'm very impressed with what RIM has done to make developing for and deploying to 2.0 both simple and fun.
    VeGiTo likes this.
    02-08-12 12:48 PM
    My only problem right now is deciding which development path to use for my next app. The Playbook supports so many languages and techniques now (most of which will support multi-platform deploy) that just about anyone who has developed anything mobile will find something that's comfortable for them. Even of you use HTML5, you can still have access to native functionality. If you've developed anything for Android (especially in Flash Builder), it's a no-brainer to spend a little time repackaging the app for App World.

I'm sure that 2.0 will be great, but I'm very impressed with what RIM has done to make developing for and deploying to 2.0 both simple and fun.
    QNX is globally respected, renowned and highly regarded for their "rapid development " support....RIM is taking this heritage and bringing this to the broader app developer community. In short order developing for BB will allow devs the resources to develop and deploy apps at a more accelerated pace then that of the competition. This will allow for a very critical competitive edge, especially as RIM expands into the embedded devices market that QNX already serves through their existing clientele. .

In a way PB 2.0. will usher in an era of RIM being the new kid in town...Fresh technology in 2012...Powerful platform....powerful development tools for both the app developers, but in a new and intrinsic edge on the competition.....Very powerful tools for RIM in house devs to develop the platform at a very excellerated pace....Which is exploiting QNX'S real ace which is "rapid development ".
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-08-12 at 01:08 PM.
    02-08-12 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD