I've been waiting for the day the Chinese started to get upset with Android, ever since Google decided to ruffle feathers there over search.
    Now seems to be that time, with Android market share getting a bit high for the Chinese Government liking.
    Enter BB10. Partnership with QNX have recently been signed in China. The timing is right. Who else believes that Blackberry is about to explode in China? I do.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/china-is...-huge-success/
    A Chinese government white paper says that Google, via Android, has too much control of the Chinese smartphone market.

Google's Android mobile platform has enjoyed tremendous success—which continues to make market leaders uneasy.
    China is now the world's largest market for smartphones, the majority of which run Android. But the Chinese government has become uncomfortable with the control that Google, via Android, has over China's smartphone industry, the research branch of China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said in a white paper, Reuters reported March 5.
    "Our country's mobile operating system research and development is too dependent on Android," said the white paper, according to the report. "While the Android system is open-source, the core technology and technology road map is strictly controlled by Google."
    The paper points out Android's "absolute advantage," stating that while in 2009 its market share was 3.9 percent, in the third quarter of 2012, that rose to 72.4 percent, a "large-scale success" that surpassed even the Symbian operating system during its most successful period.

It additionally accuses Google of discriminating against Chinese hardware makers by sharing code with them later than it did other companies and through "commercial agreement constraints," according to text translated via Google Translate.
    Last year, Google was also accused of suppressing an effort by partner Acer to release a smartphone running the Aliyun mobile operating system made by China-based Alibaba. While an Alibaba executive said the goal was to make Aliyn China's next Android, a Google executive suggested that it essentially was Android, which was why Google took issue.
    When asked for a response to the white paper, a Google spokesperson told eWEEK, "Android is an open source mobile platform freely available to everyone. It is available in its entirety at Welcome to Android | Android Open Source, allowing device manufacturers to customize and offer new user experiences, driving innovation and consumer choice."
    Low-cost, Android-running devices have played a major role in China's fast-growing mobile market, as well as the global market. While "mature economies" have been responsible for driving the world's smartphone shipments, emerging markets China, Brazil and India are beginning to change that, IDC said in a March 4 report.*
    "While we don't expect China's smartphone growth to maintain the pace of a runaway train, as it has over the last two years, there continue to be big drivers to keep the market growing as it leads the way to ever-lower smartphone prices," Melissa Chau, IDC senior research manager, said in a statement.
    In 2013, IDC expects China to control 33 percent of the world smartphone market, ahead of the United States, which came in second place with 15 percent share.
    Google, which has a number of partners using Android, is said to be nervous about the success Samsung has enjoyed with the operating system. With Samsung accounting for 43 percent of Android shipments during the fourth quarter of 2012, according to Gartner, Google executives are nervous about the bargaining power that affords Samsung.
    Andy Rubin, Google senior vice president of Mobile, told executives at an event last fall that Samsung could "become a threat if it gains more ground among mobile device makers that use Android," The Wall Street Journal reported Feb. 25.
    Finally, even Samsung is reportedly uneasy with how many of its eggs are in Google's basket. This year, the smartphone maker plans to begin selling phones running the Intel-backed Tizen operating system, in an effort to diversify more. Samsung also has a partnership with Microsoft. *
    Google owns handset maker, and Android backer, Motorola, and analysts have suggested that, should that relationship become a conflict of interest, Samsung will have even more room to maneuver.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-06-13 at 05:26 AM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-06-13 04:47 AM
    Blackberry is non-existant in China.
    03-06-13 04:51 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Would love to see the Z10 launch in China ! ....
    03-06-13 04:52 AM
    This is where blackberry will need to partner up with lenovo to gain any traction in China

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    03-06-13 04:54 AM
    I think the government should let the market decide what customers want...In China and everywhere else.
    03-06-13 05:00 AM
    I think the government should let the market decide what customers want...In China and everywhere else.
    I agree with this but it's not the reason for the post. That's politics.
    It's not like BlackBerry hasn't been throttled in markets in the past. China being the biggest! The main reason for the lack of membership in China is due to government restriction!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-06-13 at 05:51 AM.
    Zirak likes this.
    03-06-13 05:33 AM
    Blackberry is non-existant in China.
    I doubt it...

Refer thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/android-app-sideloading-f279/wechat-working-z10-778459/#post8073964

And wechat commitment to blackberry.
    http://www.techinasia.com/wechat-blackberry-10-version-coming-soon/
    03-06-13 06:00 AM
    Based my understanding to BlackBerry, BB10 cannot be released before July. The price must be higher than CNY 5,000, maybe even 6,000. I bought my Andriod phone(Lenovo k860) in last October. It's quad core CPU and 5 inch screen. Have tons of local apps. the price is CNY 2,188. BBM is useless in China. Everyone is using Weixin. And very few people know BlackBerry. So tell me, how can Blackberry succeed in China?
    03-06-13 08:00 AM
    And your point is what?

Talk about irrelevant!
    03-06-13 08:12 AM
    And your point is what?

Talk about irrelevant!
    irrelevant?

and my point is,
    if one giant company in china is willing to make a native app for blackberry 10, what makes you think other Chinese companies will not follow suit and build more native apps for BB10?
    at least they're not being stuck up for developing an app in a not popular country for blackberry.
    not as stuck up as some BIG western companies not willing to develop a native BB10 apps let alone porting it.

sheesh.. look at the BIGGER picture. if china starts to see blackberry as potential replacement for androids (which is monopolizing in china) and we get even 1% of their population to switch to blackberry, that equals to 10million new customers.

look at Indonesia and India. they're the reason blackberry still surviving all these years through bbos 6 & 7.
    and with china population as big as India, i don't see that being impossible taking over android market in china.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-06-13 06:03 PM
    This is going to be a great thread...I can see it coming.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 06:23 PM
    Or, the government could mandate a Baidu-owned port of Android to be on every device. I think Blackberry has less of a chance in China then in Japan.
    03-06-13 06:27 PM
    irrelevant?

and my point is,
    if one giant company in china is willing to make a native app for blackberry 10, what makes you think other Chinese companies will not follow suit and build more native apps for BB10?
    at least they're not being stuck up for developing an app in a not popular country for blackberry.
    not as stuck up as some BIG western companies not willing to develop a native BB10 apps let alone porting it.

sheesh.. look at the BIGGER picture. if china starts to see blackberry as potential replacement for androids (which is monopolizing in china) and we get even 1% of their population to switch to blackberry, that equals to 10million new customers.

look at Indonesia and India. they're the reason blackberry still surviving all these years through bbos 6 & 7.
    and with china population as big as India, i don't see that being impossible taking over android market in china.

You do realize wechat is not an exclusively Chinese app, correct? It has users from every country in every corner of the earth.

Kakao even has an app for bb7... buy how many Koreans use blackberry?

It means absolutely nothing.

They are not trying to help blackberry but rival WhatsApp.

These are messenging platforms. They need to be on every device possible. Something blackberry still fails to realize with bbm.
    03-06-13 08:45 PM
    BlackBerry is in China in a big way people and its about to explode! Open your eyes!!

Dalian Eastern Display Selects QNX for Intelligent Home Appliances

Dalian Eastern Display Selects QNX for Intelligent Home Appliances

BEIJING, June 12, 2012 — QNX Software Systems Limited, a global leader in software platforms for connected embedded systems, today announced that Dalian Eastern Display Co., Ltd., a manufacturer of applications and controls for LCD panels and modules, is using the QNX Momentics Tool Suite and the QNX Neutrino Realtime Operating System (RTOS) to develop control systems for Internet of Things (IOT) home appliances.

Dalian Eastern Display is developing QNX-based control systems that will allow intelligent washing machines, intelligent refrigerators, high-end air conditioners, and other home appliances to connect wirelessly to the Internet. The QNX Neutrino RTOS helps Dalian Eastern Display to achieve stable performance and fast startup times, and to reduce the time and effort of developing the systems’ graphical user interfaces.

The QNX Neutrino RTOS is based on a modular microkernel architecture designed to enable high levels of reliability and scalability. It is deployed worldwide in a massive range of automotive, industrial, medical, networking, and consumer appliance products.

In recent years, the IOT home appliance market has experienced strong growth in China under the encouragement of the Chinese Government. Nonetheless, delivering the advantages of IOT while ensuring information security has been a major challenge for appliance vendors.

“Dalian Eastern Display is dedicated to providing LCD display control solutions for home appliance manufacturers who impose high demands on features and security,” said Duan Yunsheng, general manager, Dalian Eastern Display. “The QNX Neutrino RTOS has proven well-suited to developing IOT intelligent home appliance nodes and terminals. It will satisfy our customers' demands for intelligent home products, and we look forward to working closely with QNX Software Systems as we develop other competitive products.”

“We are pleased that Dalian Eastern Display is using QNX technology to develop the software for their home appliance control systems. Our goal is to help Dalian stand out in the intelligent home appliance market with our advanced technology and after-sales support,” said Kimm Krueger, director, APAC Sales and Marketing, QNX Software Systems.

Dalian Eastern Display also plans to deploy the QNX Neutrino RTOS in areas such as construction machinery and medical equipment.

About Dalian Eastern Display

Dalian Eastern Display Co., Ltd. is a high-tech designer and manufacturer of applications and controls for LCD panels and modules. The company was awarded the prestigious ISO 9001-2008 certification by the respected classification society, Det Norske Veritas (DNV). For more information, please visit 大连东显电子有限公司-液晶显示器,lcd,lcm,module,东显,段 式, 符点阵式,图形点阵式,液晶显示器,显 屏.

About QNX Software Systems

QNX Software Systems Limited, a subsidiary of Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM; TSX:RIM), is a leading vendor of operating systems, middleware, development tools, and professional services for the embedded systems market. Global leaders such as Audi, Cisco, General Electric, Lockheed Martin, and Siemens depend on QNX technology for vehicle telematics units, network routers, medical devices, industrial control systems, security and defense systems, and other mission- or life-critical applications. Founded in 1980, QNX Software Systems Limited is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada; its products are distributed in over 100 countries worldwide. Visit QNX operating systems, development tools, and professional services for connected embedded systems and facebook.com/QNXSoftwareSystems.
    03-06-13 08:54 PM
    I dont think people realise that the "internet of things" is real! but it is and once everyone realises it. BB10 will already be huge!!
    03-06-13 08:55 PM
    this 'internet of things' looks promising.
    instead of smart appliances, imagine a world where all home or office appliances are connected thru a BB apps.
    with QNX being at the core in china, BB will definitely be recognised as the owner of QNX n therefore boost the sales of BB in china.

and as i mentioned, although wechat is a mere instant messaging app developed for the world, many will realize the origin of this product and see the possibility of app developers in china developing more n more apps for BB.
    thus push for more proud Chinese BB owner supporting their apps.
    and being in a country where majority businesses are controlled by Chinese, i know how they will develop and expand business once they open their door for blackberry.

03-06-13 09:43 PM
    this 'internet of things' looks promising.
    instead of smart appliances, imagine a world where all home or office appliances are connected thru a BB apps.
    with QNX being at the core in china, BB will definitely be recognised as the owner of QNX n therefore boost the sales of BB in china.

and as i mentioned, although wechat is a mere instant messaging app developed for the world, many will realize the origin of this product and see the possibility of app developers in china developing more n more apps for BB.
    thus push for more proud Chinese BB owner supporting their apps.
    and being in a country where majority businesses are controlled by Chinese, i know how they will develop and expand business once they open their door for blackberry.

In a word, YES! and that is what Dalian is doing! They are MUCH, MUCH more then just home appliances!
    The reason BBos never took off in China is because Joe China was not alowed to ues BIS, rendering the option mute!
    BB10 takes care of that and the foundation has been laid a long time ago.
    I'm all for a level playing field, but BlackBerry never had one to begin with, So if by chance the Chinese Gov slows the flow of android! I DONT CARE! They had their turn!
    03-06-13 11:21 PM
    It sounds to me more like China wants Google android out and Chinese renamed but essentially stolen IP android in. I don't really see BlackBerry gaining much traction.
    03-06-13 11:33 PM
    It sounds to me more like China wants Google android out and Chinese renamed but essentially stolen IP android in. I don't really see BlackBerry gaining much traction.
    Its funny what people believe happens in China. Like the Chinese government is going to openly steal IP and mass produce it in China. They do their best to play by International rules as they are a part of all the major international trade bodies! Sure the theft of IP happens in China. But it happens here in the US almost as much! Thanks for your wisdom on the matter. Such insite! What a waist of time.
    03-07-13 12:09 AM
    That's what it sounds like from the article so long as Google is not lying. Thanks for assuming I think the US is so much better though. China just has a history of hating on Google is all so I wouldn't surprised.
    03-07-13 12:17 AM