I don't use things just cause they are 'native' when I used android some apps actually did better jobs than google provided apps and I recognized that. But a file explorer is not to be mistaken for an app. That's like on your windows OS or Mac OS leaving the whole explorer system up to devs and leaving out 'my computer'. Sure a third party dev can do it, but that's a job of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I understand. Do I think all mobile OSs should have a native file explorer? Yes. Am I upset that the majority of them don't? No because there is a solution within a few touches. If third party access wasn't allowed, I am sure many people would be upset.

But again, I agree, native file management should be included.
    12-28-13 10:20 PM
    Yes I understand. Do I think all mobile OSs should have a native file explorer? Yes. Am I upset that the majority of them don't? No because there is a solution within a few touches. If third party access wasn't allowed, I am sure many people would be upset.

But again, I agree, native file management should be included.
    Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:25 PM
    I did not know it's the worst browser on the market and if it is I don't care, and I don't have to justify to you why I use it as you are side tracking from the original argument which is what people tend to do when they have nothing else to contribute.

Android is a disaster, google is a disaster, chrome is a disaster. I have used the products extensively and they are nothing but free products that mine you for information. The whole android platform does this. Abundance of free apps where every single app needs access to your call log, email, SMS, calendar, contacts, Internet access.

I'm not judging you for what you use, I just realize this for my self and have stopped.

I'll continue using Internet Explorer since it meets my needs and so does blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Dude check it out:

Google stock reaches a new all time high just about everyday. Their search business has done phenomenally for over a decade, as well as their advertising business. Android is better than it has ever been and the platform literally sells in droves. Their services and general ecosystem is very established with really good content and services that integrate pretty well.

Their chromebook business has never looked better: http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/28/goo...-their-stride/

Accounting for a really nice 21 percent of total notebook sales this year and 10 percent of all desktop, laptop and tablet sales in general. 2 out of 3 of the top selling laptops on amazon were chromebooks this holiday season. Chrome is also consistently the top used browser every year.

You know what company kind of is a disaster though? The one for which this site praises.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-28-13 10:26 PM
    You know what company is a disaster though? The one for which this site praises.

Captain obvious over here... we're fans of BB10 not the CEOs that mismanaged the company.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-28-13 10:29 PM
    Stock and downloading a app is not the same thing I think I pointed that out. Every os should have the capability of allowing the user this function natively. As it seems laughable that such a critical os dependant task would be left to third party devs to tinker with. Whether or not you think that is not relevant since you enjoy your device and that's what's Important to to you.

But for my friend like I originally posted, this function was mandatory and he did not know android did not have it built in.

Posted via CB10
    So now that we established that Every OS should have that capability... My question to you is.. Why are you only targeting Android? Blackberry OS is the only Mobile OS currently available that has a native file manager built into the OS. You already mentioned iOS does not even allow access to it's file system. You now acknowledge that Android has one but does not include any means of accessing it. You seem to be okay with iOS not even allow accessing, but Android allowing it via third party is totally unacceptable? BTW Windows Phone 8 doesn't have a means of accessing it's file system. I know cause I have 2 Windows Phones. I'm only bring up WP8 because you said EVERY OS.
    12-28-13 10:29 PM
    Captain obvious over here... we're fans of BB10 not the CEOs that mismanaged the company.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    When did I ever point the blame at anyone??

12-28-13 10:36 PM
    So now that we established that Every OS should have that capability... My question to you is.. Why are you only targeting Android? Blackberry OS is the only Mobile OS currently available that has a native file manager built into the OS. You already mentioned iOS does not even allow access to it's file system. You now acknowledge that Android has one but does not include any means of accessing it. You seem to be okay with iOS not even allow accessing, but Android allowing it via third party is totally unacceptable? BTW Windows Phone 8 doesn't have a means of accessing it's file system. I know cause I have 2 Windows Phones. I'm only bring up WP8 because you said EVERY OS.
    I have extensive experience with only android and blackberry. Not iOS or windows Os, im not sure how their systems work. I'm only targeting Android since my OP was about my friend thinking about buying Android, he never mentioned windows and he had already deduced that iOS was not for him.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:38 PM
    Dude check it out:
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/ze7y4e7u.jpg

Google stock reaches a new all time high just about everyday. Their search business has done phenomenally for over a decade, as well as their advertising business. Android is better than it has ever been and the platform literally sells in droves. Their services and general ecosystem is very established with really good content and services that integrate pretty well.

Their chromebook business has never looked better: http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/28/goo...-their-stride/

Accounting for a really nice 21 percent of total notebook sales this year and 10 percent of all desktop, laptop and tablet sales in general. 2 out of 3 of the top selling laptops on amazon were chromebooks this holiday season. Chrome is also consistently the top used browser every year.

You know what company kind of is a disaster though? The one for which this site praises.

Talk about dropping Thor's hammer, what did BlackBerry stock close at on Friday?

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-28-13 10:48 PM
    Guy's chill Google listened its built in 4.4 no more 3rd party needed. Put down the pitch forks, and enjoy your respected devices.
    12-28-13 10:50 PM
    as soon as I saw the title thread I knew what it was going to be: a running pitch battle and then the likes and the thanks for certain comments would be from the same crowd and then it would disintegrate into a who can crap on who more (BB people are passionate bunch boy!! I wish BB the company was fighting as hard)...So I just skipped all the pages to the end....kom ba ya anyone?
    12-28-13 11:01 PM
    File manager was never a concern for me I never run a database on my Z10 or any other phone. Though Ghost Commander maybe helpful and so is the Android runtime. Z10, because it is cheap.
    12-28-13 11:03 PM
    Unless you own your own business,why would the average smartphone user need a file manager?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    You can't be serious.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and Mecca EL like this.
    12-28-13 11:17 PM
    Good lord this thread is a magnet for all the android fan boys on crackberry. Too funny.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:18 PM
    and BB10 users keep denying sales numbers like it doesn't matter. If 100 people walked into a store and a sales guy asks If File manager will determine their purchase and 99 say No, do sales count?
    You don't seem to understand that those numbers have nothing to do with the subject. This is not about sales numbers. It's about having a native file manager. There are people who spout sales numbers to affirm their argument when it comes to functionality.

It's like saying more people buy Windows computers than Apple, so it must be better in every aspect of its functions and features. You would not regard this statement valid.

Even if only one person in the whole wide world would have a device which excels in certain aspects in comparison with other devices and operating systems (that do sell in huge numbers), it would still be better in that regard than what the competition has to offer.

Z on Channels
    grover5 and Mecca EL like this.
    12-28-13 11:19 PM
    Now, pay attention to all the people who say "yes" to a built-in File Manager. They are the same people who also say "yes" to a unsupported third-party app stores offering apps that were not even designed to run on their devices in the first place.
    That's not a counter point. It's a redirection. Argue that it's better to not have a native file manager if you choose. I'm sure you want to.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-28-13 11:20 PM
    You shouldn't need to sideload apps from the outer reaches of the interwebs either.

I don't disagree with the point that a file manager should be stock. It should. But if we are talking about perceived insurmountable OS deficiencies...
    Yes. The thread is about the lack of a stock file manager on android. Why do you need to attack BlackBerry 10 while you recognize that failure. Did it make it easier for you to admit it?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:25 PM
    Android users don't have 'files' to manage, this is the main android user argument and it's not true since a lot of professionals, engineers, business men, medical staff use android.

Managing files is important and MUST be built into the OS, you cannot deny this logically.

Posted via CB10
    False.

Managing files via a file manager is important to some people, and a program to do so must be available for those people.

Big difference. For most people, using the photos/music/productivity app of choice is enough to manage their onboard files. For some who need more control, a file manager app has to be aviailable, but that doesn't necessarily have to be built in, as 3rd party solutions also work.
    Donvald likes this.
    12-28-13 11:47 PM
    You don't seem to understand that those numbers have nothing to do with the subject. This is not about sales numbers. It's about having a native file manager. There are people who spout sales numbers to affirm their argument when it comes to functionality.

It's like saying more people buy Windows computers than Apple, so it must be better in every aspect of its functions and features. You would not regard this statement valid.

Even if only one person in the whole wide world would have a device which excels in certain aspects in comparison with other devices and operating systems (that do sell in huge numbers), it would still be better in that regard than what the competition has to offer.

Z on Channels
    As regards the topic of the thread, if the file manager is indeed enuogh of a reason for people to switch, sales numbers should reflect that fact.

I don't think I saw anyone dispute that a native file manager is preferable, but that is not the actual topic.
    12-28-13 11:52 PM
    I'm confused, Android has hundreds of 3rd party file managers, all of them basically superior to the BB10 one as the BB10 one is extremely limited to what you can access...
    bekkay, MERCDROID, avt123 and 2 others like this.
    12-28-13 11:54 PM
    as soon as I saw the title thread I knew what it was going to be: a running pitch battle and then the likes and the thanks for certain comments would be from the same crowd and then it would disintegrate into a who can crap on who more (BB people are passionate bunch boy!! I wish BB the company was fighting as hard)...So I just skipped all the pages to the end....kom ba ya anyone?
    it is just business as usual, another one of those bash the Android thread, all comes down to insecurity and a low self esteem ....
    bekkay, TgeekB, Donvald and 1 others like this.
    12-28-13 11:56 PM
    As regards the topic of the thread, if the file manager is indeed enuogh of a reason for people to switch, sales numbers should reflect that fact.

I don't think I saw anyone dispute that a native file manager is preferable, but that is not the actual topic.
    I don't think anyone really mentioned File Managers as a driving force for sales.

I used the title for the thread to indicate that someone who is already an Android user might switch to blackberry if they were properly shown the potential of the OS instead of just blindingly buying the most hyped up device/software.

For me, android has many problems so I left and now if anyone asks me about Android I tell them the flaws I saw in it and even demonstrate since I still have the nexus 7.

Most shoppers don't decide for them selves, instead there is a lot of external motivating factors in sales.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:03 AM
    I can only speak for myself, but I personally appreciate the fact that Android doesn't come with a file manager. In fact, true Android doesn't come with much of anything. Which is exactly why I like it and why I love Nexus devices.

When a update is released for my Nexus phones, I don't bother with the OTA, I build and load it from AOSP and only add the stuff I actually want on to it. Pure Android is like a clean slate for you to build upon. It isn't bogged down with apps that you'll replace anyway. Why in the world would I want there to be a native file manager on my Nexus when I wouldn't ever use it? I already have Root Explorer and there is no way a native file explore for Android would be as useful and powerful as it is. A native solution would only be redundant for me.

Again, that's just me though and I know most users don't customize their device as much as I do.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-29-13 12:18 AM
    I'm confused, Android has hundreds of 3rd party file managers, all of them basically superior to the BB10 one as the BB10 one is extremely limited to what you can access...
    You lost me. I can access computers in my house, in my apartment, my office, my SD card, my device, and drop box from my file manager. It is the most robust file manager I have ever used on a tablet, computer or phone. Where is it limited?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:23 AM
    How about we just cut to the chase. we all know what the OP was trying to say that Android is not a proper or complete operating system. Based on a file manager and people should buy blackberry 10 based on Android file manager or lack thereof, nevermind that I can get multiple ones from Google Play Store if I actually needed one.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    Donvald and 21stNow like this.
    12-29-13 12:35 AM
    That's not a counter point. It's a redirection. Argue that it's better to not have a native file manager if you choose. I'm sure you want to.
    Not arguing that. I wish Android had a good file manager so that I could save a few seconds downloading a third-party one.

I (as well as many others here) am, however, arguing that, when you have excellent third-party offerings, the lack of a native file manager is hardly a big problem.
    Definitely not a reason enough to switch platforms as the title of this thread suggests.
    21stNow and MERCDROID like this.
    12-29-13 12:43 AM
586 ... 1011121314 ...