What in the world did this thread turn into?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-30-13 07:39 AM
    BlackBerry got it right all they need is advertisement and more apps. I'm using a nexus 5 at the moment.
    Bang on. Absolutely bang on.

Nuff said.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 05:15 PM
    When you stick to your guns, you lose in the end because jokers come in and do a reverse takeover. You lose. Moderators (in general) like it to end that way too. You lose.

The moral of the story is to make your point forcefully -- occasionally not constantly.

What in the world did this thread turn into? ...!
    12-30-13 06:40 PM
    Bang on. Absolutely bang on.

Nuff said.

Posted via CB10
    That he's using a Nexus 5? Smart person, I agree.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    MERCDROID and Donvald like this.
    12-30-13 07:26 PM
    When you stick to your guns, you lose in the end because jokers come in and do a reverse takeover. You lose. Moderators (in general) like it to end that way too. You lose.

The moral of the story is to make your point forcefully -- occasionally not constantly.

Moderators want the bickering to end! It's not about what you say, it's about how you say it.

Let's get back on topic, please.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-30-13 07:32 PM
    That he's using a Nexus 5? Smart person, I agree.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Nexus 5 makes someone smart? That's news to me.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-30-13 08:06 PM
    Nexus 5 makes someone smart? That's news to me.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Well, I was already smart. Haha.

Using one IS smart.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    MERCDROID and bekkay like this.
    12-30-13 08:10 PM
    When I had the s3, s4 and nexus 7 I think I downloaded 10 apps in total most of them google apps. Apps are over hyped, download and forget em. But the general consumer is gullible and will conform to hyped up products otherwise marketing wouldn't exist. This is applicable to all products, popularity sells.

Android was the most unsecure OS I ever used, every app wants permissions to your phone log, contacts, emails etc even a basic flashlight app that has to run two lines of code.

Such a malicious environment, no wonder they have so many apps it's ripe for stealing people's information. Everything is free, so you get farmed by everyone.

Win a free cruise yet!?

Posted via CB10
    As A Z30 user and BlackBerry supporter, I have many Realtors and Doctors who love their BlackBerry but require certain Apps which are only available on App Store and Google Play. Hope those apps will be available when the new 10.2.1OS comes out. Note, I know a few realtors who carry a iTouch 5 or iPad Mini use thier Q10/or Z30 as a hot spot and access thier realtor Apps because the email, keyboard, sharing , BBM and file manager of BlackBerry Is the best period.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-31-13 04:24 AM
    As A Z30 user and BlackBerry supporter, I have many Realtors and Doctors who love their BlackBerry but require certain Apps which are only available on App Store and Google Play. Hope those apps will be available when the new 10.2.1OS comes out. Note, I know a few realtors who carry a iTouch 5 or iPad Mini use thier Q10/or Z30 as a hot spot and access thier realtor Apps because the email, keyboard, sharing , BBM and file manager of BlackBerry Is the best period.

Posted via CB10
    Have you personally used the hotspot feature with your Z30? If so, how was the battery life?
    12-31-13 01:14 PM
    I've used the hot-spot and all the other radio network functions. Each one uses power. Normal.
    We now return you to the thread subject, file managers. :-)
    Have you personally used the hotspot feature with your Z30? If so, how was the battery life?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 01:43 PM
    For most people, 'Android' means phones purchased from Samsung, HTC, LG et al, all of which have File managers pre-installed as part of the OS.
    Perhaps Nexus devices may not have File Managers. That's perfectly fine, for many people, file managers ARE bloatware they will never use.

I think people need to stop this silly 'it's not included in the Base OS so it's not a robust solution' nonsense. This is nearly 2014, we need to jettison such antiquated reasoning. I'd figure that 99% of Smartphone users have access to the internet, and there are tons of free, powerful file managers on Google Play. There is no functional advantage of a bundled in solution over using a very highly rated and FREE 3rd party app. None whatsoever.

Perhaps one of the reasons why Android phones are selling better than Blackberry 10 devices is because there are way more people interested in something as basic as icon themes than in file managers?
    Well, you know, except for those people who don't download apps. I work with a lot of those people. And I mean seriously - have never signed up for whatever id you need for the particular app store because they just use what the phone comes with.

I've been asking around my office of the people who are using Android - and it is admittedly not a huge sample size - why they picked Android. One person thinks it's the bees knees. The rest of them? Because it's not Apple and it's what the salesman told them they should get. Oh - and one who was told to get a Samsung galaxy by her grandson. Bless her dear heart it lasted 6 days before she smashed it by knocking it off her desk.

Anyway - sorry that is a bit off topic - but many people couldn't even tell you what OS is on their phone - their phone is an HTC or a Samsung or an apple. They aren't buying Android because of its customization, they're buying what's flashed at them in the store. Now - do you suppose they were honestly shown their options? I kind of doubt it.

And OT - I know that BB10 has the best file manager. I use it lots and I love it. I don't think it's a deal breaker. I haven't noticed a lack on the Androids in the house and it isn't something that the people at work have brought to me and asked me about so I don't think, for most people, it's a huge deal. If it's not there they make due without (these are the ones who don't download apps of course).

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-01-14 12:13 AM
    Well, you know, except for those people who don't download apps. I work with a lot of those people. And I mean seriously - have never signed up for whatever id you need for the particular app store because they just use what the phone comes with.

I've been asking around my office of the people who are using Android - and it is admittedly not a huge sample size - why they picked Android. One person thinks it's the bees knees. The rest of them? Because it's not Apple and it's what the salesman told them they should get. Oh - and one who was told to get a Samsung galaxy by her grandson. Bless her dear heart it lasted 6 days before she smashed it by knocking it off her desk.

Anyway - sorry that is a bit off topic - but many people couldn't even tell you what OS is on their phone - their phone is an HTC or a Samsung or an apple. They aren't buying Android because of its customization, they're buying what's flashed at them in the store. Now - do you suppose they were honestly shown their options? I kind of doubt it.

And OT - I know that BB10 has the best file manager. I use it lots and I love it. I don't think it's a deal breaker. I haven't noticed a lack on the Androids in the house and it isn't something that the people at work have brought to me and asked me about so I don't think, for most people, it's a huge deal. If it's not there they make due without (these are the ones who don't download apps of course).

Posted via CB10
    I think you will find that those who do not download apps have little use for a file manager. Most people DO download apps, though. You get prompted pretty seriously early on to create a Google account if you don't have any, or log in if you do. At that point, downloading apps becomes extremely easy.

I'm happy you think BB10 has the best file manager in your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing BB10 file manager can do that front line Android file explorers like ES Explorer cannot do just as easily.

I'm glad you agree that most people buy non-google phones from Samsung et Al. These phones all come with built in file managers. In other words, this whole discussion isn't a big deal.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    01-01-14 03:11 AM
    I think you will find that those who do not download apps have little use for a file manager. Most people DO download apps, though. You get prompted pretty seriously early on to create a Google account if you don't have any, or log in if you do. At that point, downloading apps becomes extremely easy.

I'm happy you think BB10 has the best file manager in your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing BB10 file manager can do that front line Android file explorers like ES Explorer cannot do just as easily.

I'm glad you agree that most people buy non-google phones from Samsung et Al. These phones all come with built in file managers. In other words, this whole discussion isn't a big deal.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Sorry - I meant best built in file manager. And if you hang out with the over 50 crowd - there are more not bothering with apps than you think. Not a majority of the customers certainly - but quite a lot.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 10:05 AM

Built in file manager on my Galaxy device. Along with my downloaded file management system. (just for root access)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    ubizmo likes this.
    01-01-14 04:54 PM
    I don't mean file manager such as docs and business files I meant that android doesn't let you explore directories at all without downloading es file explorer, it's pathetic.
    I don't get this. I've owned two Android phones, the Galaxy Blaze 4G and the S4, which I'm using now. Both have native file managers, which I use all the time. By "native," I mean pre-installed, and I can't delete them without rooting. The file manager is called "My Files." Maybe this is a Samsung app, but since you mentioned several Samsung products, including the S4, as being without a file manager, I thought I'd mention it.

Edit: See Kris's post above, and this screenshot:
    Androids file manager is reason enough for people to switch to Blackberry.-screenshot_2014-01-02-09-17-15-1-.jpg
    Last edited by ubizmo; 01-02-14 at 08:21 AM.
    Donvald and bekkay like this.
    01-02-14 07:52 AM
    Someone with a nexus 4, 5, 7, 10 show a built in file manager.

You cant.

There isn't one.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 10:11 AM
    Within X time-frame android things shall all have a native or pre-installed file manager. Think in the future. How far in the future, we cannot know -- the date is not a number known today, the road is going there, the crowd moving there, the world is going there.
    What really matters in the longer term is the overall experience (including marketing, peer pressure, snobbery, unexpressible emotions, etc.)
    It doesn't matter if a single element (outlined in this thread) is good/ bad, present/absent, Y / anti-Y, or whatever. A single atom is not the entire system, experience, ambiance, feeling.
    Thinking in the future + of what BlackBerry offers in a general systems approach, let's spend time and energy helping build a stronger ambiance instead of morphing into a nitpick pack.
    Be well.

--

The OP used an exaggeration in the title.

Don't take it word-for-word.

Don't parse it.

It was a statement that one can take in a non word for word interpretation. Hey, wow, lookit, look at this. They don't have JQXKdZ and we do. Wow. Isn't that amazing.

The more it gets pointed out, the more attention it draws, the.more they the Android-makers shall be urged to fix the gap.
    So, the one element no longer becomes the 1 thing different in any way.

--
    01-02-14 12:15 PM

You cant.

There isn't one.
    I'll take your word for it, although not with great confidence, given your false claim in post #1 about the S3 and S4 lacking a file manager.

But really, of all the reasons one might have for switching from Android to BB10, this has to be about the worst, given the availability of excellent free file managers in Google Play.

As for the Android system of allowing the user to designate default apps, I'd call that a reason to switch to Android. It gives the user greater control over the device. If you don't like the built-in keyboard, launcher, browser, music play, navigator, you can use another and have it be invoked by default by the OS. This is not a weakness of Android.

If I were looking for reasons to switch back to BB10, I'd go with the gesture and active frame system, which I liked quite a lot. Also,the BB10 camera time shift mode works better, in my opinion, than the Samsung "Beauty Face" mode. In fact, after the 10.1 update I found the Z10 camera a pleasure to use. The S4 camera is laggier. It's the only part of the S4 where I expect to encounter lag. I have no experience with the cameras on the Nexus phones. The Z10 camera gets some flack, but I liked it, and in fact I miss it.

Another reason I'd offer for switching back to BB10 is BB Maps. This will come as an outrage to many, but I found BB Maps to have better routing capabilities than Google Maps, which often sends me on strange missions. Yes, Google Maps is better for searching, since Google in general is unsurpassed at any kind of search, but I found that with Be Maps Pro on my Z10, linked to BB Maps, I had the best of both worlds. I know others have a very different opinion about this.

The BB10 file manager would not be high on my list of reasons to switch back to BB10. It wouldn't be on the list at all.
    01-02-14 12:25 PM
    I'll take your word for it, although not with great confidence, given your false claim in post #1 about the S3 and S4 lacking a file manager.

But really, of all the reasons one might have for switching from Android to BB10, this has to be about the worst, given the availability of excellent free file managers in Google Play.

As for the Android system of allowing the user to designate default apps, I'd call that a reason to switch to Android. It gives the user greater control over the device. If you don't like the built-in keyboard, launcher, browser, music play, navigator, you can use another and have it be invoked by default by the OS. This is not a weakness of Android.

If I were looking for reasons to switch back to BB10, I'd go with the gesture and active frame system, which I liked quite a lot. Also,the BB10 camera time shift mode works better, in my opinion, than the Samsung "Beauty Face" mode. In fact, after the 10.1 update I found the Z10 camera a pleasure to use. The S4 camera is laggier. It's the only part of the S4 where I expect to encounter lag. I have no experience with the cameras on the Nexus phones. The Z10 camera gets some flack, but I liked it, and in fact I miss it.

Another reason I'd offer for switching back to BB10 is BB Maps. This will come as an outrage to many, but I found BB Maps to have better routing capabilities than Google Maps, which often sends me on strange missions. Yes, Google Maps is better for searching, since Google in general is unsurpassed at any kind of search, but I found that with Be Maps Pro on my Z10, linked to BB Maps, I had the best of both worlds. I know others have a very different opinion about this.

The BB10 file manager would not be high on my list of reasons to switch back to BB10. It wouldn't be on the list at all.
    That's your opinion, what works for someone might not work for someone else. I don't like BlackBerry maps my self, google maps are much better. I never said everyone will switch to bb10 because of file manager.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:27 PM
    That's your opinion, what works for someone might not work for someone else.
    Well yes. What else would it be? But it was an opinion in response to the false claim that Samsung Galaxy devices lack a file manager, and the highly dubious claim that the absence of a file manager on Nexus phones (assuming that to be true) is "enough reason for people to switch to BlackBerry." It might be a reason for a few people, especially if there were no decent free file managers available for download, but it strains credulity to think that this could be "enough reason" for very many (given free file managers in Google Play). No, you didn't say everyone will switch to BB10 because of the file manager, but you did say, right in the title, that this is enough reason for people to switch. "Enough reason" means sufficient reason, or all the reason they would need to make the switch. "People," I suppose, could mean simply at least one human being. Should the thread perhaps be retitled "Lack of a pre-installed file manager provides sufficient reason for at least one person to switch from Android to BB10"? That appears to be what you're getting at.

As for BB Maps and Google Maps, I'm well aware that Google is by far the more popular choice. And if BB Maps were enough reason to switch back to BB10, I'd be there now. So I'll happily concede that the number of people who would switch to BB10 for BB Maps is probably in the single digits. It's just about as likely as switching for the file manager.
    01-02-14 12:56 PM
    As a Nexus 7 user, I've already said that there *is* a file manager there, but it's not as good as BB10's, or the stock file managers on other manufacturers Android devices that are baked into the OS (like the file managers on Sammy and LG phones, for example). So I've downloaded a 3rd party manager for my Nexus and Sony devices (Sony has a very minimal overlay, not like the heavier and more feature-filled skins of Sammy, LG, and HTC devices). I've also said that I typically don't use file managers very much, but they're nice to have. I prefer to do my cleanup within the apps that use certain types of files. Like if I need to clean out docs, pdfs, and spreadsheets I use my Kingsoft Office app. If I need to clear out a bunch of photos I use my photo album. If I need to clean out music I use my music player. Again though, that's just how *I* prefer to handle those tasks.
    m1a1mg and bekkay like this.
    01-02-14 01:17 PM
    I use the file manager mainly to move files around. For that purpose, the built-in S4 file manager works fine. To move things across cloud services, I sometimes use Astro, but that's about it.
    01-02-14 01:36 PM
    I use the file manager to move stuff around multiple computers via Dropbox.
    01-02-14 04:36 PM

You cant.

There isn't one.
    This has been mentioned before, but you are throwing around blanket statements such as "Android does not have a built-in file manager" based on 5-10% of all Android devices out there.

Maybe you should say "Nexus devices don't come with a file manager"?

And even then, I still don't see an issue there. It takes 1 minute tops to get a file manager downloaded.
    01-02-14 06:02 PM

Have to say I absolutely love BlackBerry Maps. Didn't think I would, but the more you play with it, the more it grows on you. The updated traffic info is spot on in the UK (can't speak for elsewhere) and has proven an invaluable quick check before heading out as to which route to take.

That and the new Share Location feature which I have to say is brilliant with BBM (can't get it to work with SMS mind), very simple, very effective.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 05:44 PM
586 ... 21222324