At first by seeing the review and pictures of the Z30 I didn't really care about the device but you really need to try it out to be able to appreciate it.

If you have a Z10 and can find a good discount on the Z30, I recommend it to everyone to do the switch.

I had a Z10 and loved it but the battery life and the random reboots drove me crazy. I got a Galaxy S4 which was okay but I still missed BB10. I just picked up a Z30 and the phone is amazing. It ships with 10.2 on it from Verizon. This is the phone that they should have released in the first place. The battery life is amazing. I haven't had a chance to try downloading apps from the Android stores yet but it is an added bonus.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:56 AM
    Am I the only one who finds your two paragraphs logically contradict each other?
    What I thought when I read the first paragraph was: hm, yeah he has a point there.

What I thought when I read the second paragraph was: huh?

Z on Channels
    12-29-13 11:57 AM
    My 2012 Motorola RAZR came with a "Files" app, so maybe it varies per manufacturer? I just assumed it was a standard android app until I saw this thread.
    Again, most Android devices have a built-in file manager, including the S3 and S4 mentioned in the OP.
    12-29-13 11:58 AM
    At first by seeing the review and pictures of the Z30 I didn't really care about the device but you really need to try it out to be able to appreciate it.

If you have a Z10 and can find a good discount on the Z30, I recommend it to everyone to do the switch.

Posted via CB10
    Next chance I get. Patiently waiting.. (on AT&T)

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:59 AM
    I didn't know lol. Where can I find it?
    I didn't know either. One thing is for sure, if a icon for it ever pops up on my Nexus devices, I'll remove it as soon as I see it.

I don't put up with redundant apps/icons that server me no purpose.
    12-29-13 12:02 PM
    The file Picker isn't a File Manager, it's used to pick files for google drive/cloud services and enables you to manage your online files easier.

It makes sense, google wants you to store all your stuff on their servers so they can make more money from your information.

An exerpt from your posted link.

You can also sort the files by name, last modified date and size, and choose between list and grid layout. One can?t help but think how nice it would have been if Google had also added basic file management options (opening, deleting, renaming, viewing properties etc.) to the feature and added its shortcut to the App drawer to make it a stock File Manager app ? a feature that was considered a standard for mobile operating systems in the pre-iOS, Android & Windows Phone era.

Posted via CB10
    Also having a good native maps app is considered a standard for mobile operating systems. Yet Blackberry maps is terrible and Google maps takes the spotlight. Does that mean BB10 sucks? Absolutely not.
    12-29-13 12:05 PM
    Also having a good native maps app is considered a standard for mobile operating systems. Yet Blackberry maps is terrible and Google maps takes the spotlight. Does that mean BB10 sucks? Absolutely not.
    Google maps is great because of the years of work that was put into it. BlackBerry maps is a mixture of Tomtom and their own BB10 implementation. It works well in Canada for the most part. But I've had problems with it on some versions of it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 12:08 PM
    Nope, we're not talking about maps. If my friend said maps were important to him I would reccomend nothing but android since google worked years to make an amazing mapping service.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:10 PM
    The File Picker isn't a file manager, it's an extension to managing google cloud services like drive.

From your Article it says.

You can also sort the files by name, last modified date and size, and choose between list and grid layout. One can?t help but think how nice it would have been if Google had also added basic file management options (opening, deleting, renaming, viewing properties etc.) to the feature and added its shortcut to the App drawer to make it a stock File Manager app ? a feature that was considered a standard for mobile operating systems in the pre-iOS, Android & Windows Phone era.
    Is My Files on your S3 and S4 a file manager?
    12-29-13 12:11 PM
    Google maps is older than android itself.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 12:11 PM
    Nope, we're not talking about maps. If my friend said maps were important to him I would reccomend nothing but android since google worked years to make an amazing mapping service.

Posted via CB10
    So one can easily install a feature-rich file manager in a click of a button and have a great maps app with Android. If anything, this thread makes android look more appealing to the end user since they seem to have their bases covered. Most users do not dwell on the fact that there is no native file manager, they will just install the file manager app and move on. Sure, it would be nice to have a native traditional file manager, but it looks like Google has something else in mind. Once they improve the file picker feature, hopefully there will be no need to install one from the app store.
    12-29-13 12:18 PM
    So one can easily install a feature-rich file manager in a click of a button and have a great maps app with Android. If anything, this thread makes android look more appealing to the end user since they seem to have their bases covered. Most users do not dwell on the fact that there is no native file manager, they will just install the file manager app and move on. Sure, it would be nice to have a native traditional file manager, but it looks like Google has something else in mind. Once they improve the file picker feature, hopefully there will be no need to install one from the app store.
    Google is only interested in providing services where you the end user integrates and hands over large amounts of your personal data to them.

Enter File Picker, a native feature built in that helps you migrate your mobile experience to their cloud google drive etc.

Google makes no money from files stored on your phone/sd card.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:23 PM
    Besides, this thread is extremely misleading since MOST android devices come with a built-in file manager. The OP should have known better as his S3 and S4 both came with My Files file manager (not the best one, but still decent).
    12-29-13 12:24 PM
    Google is only interested in providing services where you the end user integrates and hands over large amounts of your personal data to them.

Enter File Picker, a native feature built in that helps you migrate your mobile experience to their cloud google drive etc.

Google makes no money from files stored on your phone/sd card.

Posted via CB10
    No, apparently you did not read the article. It clearly states you can use it to pick files on your device.
    "but did you know that you can also use it to pick any file on your Internal storage and external SD card (on supported devices) directly?"

http://www.addictivetips.com/android...tkat-features/
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    12-29-13 12:25 PM
    Besides, it's extremely misleading since MOST android devices come with a built-in file manager. The OP should have known better as his S3 and S4 both came with My Files file manager (not the best one, but still decent).
    The example I used to show him was my nexus 7, supposedly a pure android experience which did not have any means to explore files/folders natively (unless I'm mistaken). I did not use samsung s3/s4 as an example since I didn't have those devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:27 PM
    No, apparently you did not read the article. It clearly states you can use it to pick files on your device.
    "but did you know that you can also use it to pick any file on your Internal storage and external SD card (on supported devices) directly?"

http://www.addictivetips.com/android...tkat-features/
    I read the article, File Picker is meant to integrate your phone with google cloud services which naturally it must be able to pick files from your sd and move them to drive.

Did you read the article???

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:28 PM
    The example I used to show him was my nexus 7, supposedly a pure android experience which did not have any means to explore files/folders natively (unless I'm mistaken). I did not use samsung s3/s4 as an example since I didn't have those devices.
    Here we go.

So you totally forgot to mention that non-pure-Android devices (probably more than 90% of all devices) all have file managers built in and that for pure-Android phones you can download third-party ones?

You did your friend a disservice by omitting important facts.
    21stNow likes this.
    12-29-13 12:31 PM
    Here we go.

So you totally forgot to mention that non-pure-Android devices (probably more than 90% of all devices) all have file managers built in?
    Are you mad because someone mislead another ? Its not like that ever happens when it comes to BlackBerry 10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 12:33 PM
    I read the article, File Picker is meant to integrate your phone with google cloud services which naturally it must be able to pick files from your sd and move them to drive.

Did you read the article???

Posted via CB10
    Which is why I said, there won't be a need for third part file managers when Google improves the file picker, which they will. This has more potential because of the direct integration with apps. Until then, people will continue to use well built file managers available on Google play.
    12-29-13 12:33 PM
    Unless you own your own business,why would the average smartphone user need a file manager?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!
    No really...
    Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!
    Here it is folks! The same damn thing us BB users get crucified for. Finding a way to state that something crucial is not needed. Way to go buddy... awesome job!
    Ah hahahahahahaha!
    What the Heck does owning a business have to do with it? How about if I want to move my pictures, videos, music into and out of various cloud services/my PC/share with others? Oh, and heaven forbid a "non business" person have pdf/documents/ppt files!
    Bwahahahahahahha!!!
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-29-13 12:35 PM
    Are you mad because someone mislead another ? Its not like that ever happens when it comes to BlackBerry 10.
    Mad? No. Why would I be?

But I am glad that many people who read this thread and who are not familiar with the issue now have a more accurate picture. That was the purpose of this discussion, wasn't it?
    12-29-13 12:35 PM
    Every decent OEM Android device has a File Manager, and that's 95% of Android's sales. Even the lowest of the low end devices often ship with one...

Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG. I've used all of those, and they all have a File Manager. Even the crappy Huawei Loaner on Android 2.3.6 that my mom used for a while after her One X died on her had a File Manager built in.

Am I missing the real point of this discussion?
    Some people who bought a blackberry 10 have a need to feel justified in their decision even though its not doing well at all and even OS7 is out selling it. This is all about finding any little thing to try and justify and promote blackberry 10 when clearly even OS7 users rejected it and keep using grandpa's trusty old operating system. Sorry trying to find fault when there really is none is not going to prop up your sales of blackberry 10. I'm very happy with my Android operating system, and if you're a blackberry 10 user and happy with your mobile experience don't come knocking mine or there's going to be push back. We should just let the market decide who's OS survives and who's doesn't.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    cwalt2166 and Donvald like this.
    12-29-13 12:39 PM
    Here we go.

So you totally forgot to mention that non-pure-Android devices (probably more than 90% of all devices) all have file managers built in and that for pure-Android phones you can download third-party ones?

You did your friend a disservice by omitting important facts.
    I didn't mis-lead anyone, I had shown him a list of reason to stay away from Android. File Management while absent on pur android phones is an abomination on the rest of them. Additionally, I showed him the random files and extensions left over on an android device when you install random apps and forget about them. I showed him how major of the apps come with bloat/advertisements. And I showed him how redundantly useless most widgets were and only take up system resources. He disliked the way communication was handled on Android, he disliked how all sorts of google services were trying to ask for information all the time. One could accidently agree or accept something and end up being an active google + subscriber. There are hundreds things wrong with android, I simply showed him that the z30 had the same screen size as the s4 and a much more simpler/organized operating system, communication hub and safer eco system (as small as it is).

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Settings - storage. From there you select a type of file (audio, music, downloaded, etc) and you can either search there or it gives you an option to select the app where you would like to search. It's there, but very basic. That's why I manage my files through the specific app as I mentioned earlier (office app for documents, music player for audio files, album for photos, etc). I have a 3rd party file manager installed but I rarely have the need to use it to find what I'm looking for or delete a bunch of files at once.
    12-29-13 12:41 PM
    Mad? No. Why would I be?

But I am glad that many people who read this thread and who are not familiar with the issue now have a more accurate picture. That was the purpose of this discussion, wasn't it?
    I'm just saying this happens on all sides.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 12:42 PM
586 ... 1415161718 ...