This is what folks say about sideloading and leaks. Why pay all that money for a BB10 device and have to scour the internet for apps to make it work?

If native file management access was as key as you suggest, I suspect BB10 would not be challenged by WP8. I won't even mention the other two.

Choice is good.
    BB10 works, android is the OS that you have to download everything to work. Android users when facing the shortcomings of the OS always come with "...but you can download a app bla bla bla"... You end up with a completely fragmetation with you experience. The average non-tech users, won't know how, or wich are the apps that are good for his phone...

With the 10.2.1 BB10 update, you can install native .APK android apps, downloading directly from android app stores.
    12-29-13 11:09 AM
    Same with some people and BB (not directed toward you, just in general). The whole Z10 "rebootgate" springs to mind.
    This is true and I agree with you, I have edited my post from 'android' to 'their brand' as we all tend to get carried away sometimes.

That being said, flaws exist on every platform none are perfect. But I think it's also important that these flaws be discussed/corrected and not just brushed away with work arounds.

Now im quite interested in trying windows 8 mobile to see how it's os functions since most of you are saying it doesn't provide any means to manage files at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:09 AM
    BB10 works, android is the OS that you have to download everything to work. Android users when facing the shortcomings of the OS always come with "...but you can download a app bla bla bla"... You end up with a completely fragmetation with you experience. The average non-tech users, won't know how, or wich are the apps that are good for his phone...

With the 10.2.1 BB10 update, you can install native .APK android apps, downloading directly from android app stores.
    Hey man. Did you get a BB10 device yet??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 11:12 AM

Am I the only one who finds your two paragraphs logically contradict each other?
    Donvald, howarmat, 21stNow and 1 others like this.
    12-29-13 11:17 AM
    Hey man. Did you get a BB10 device yet??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    I ordered mine, but it should arrive only in the first week of 2014... But I already have quite a lot of experience with BB10, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one... I have 2 androids at home, so I know both OS well enought.
    12-29-13 11:23 AM
    Am I the only one who finds your two paragraphs logically contradict each other?
    Whats your point?
    12-29-13 11:24 AM

This isn't quite accurate. Android provides plenty of out of the box functionality and it's up to the user to choose if that functionality is enough for their needs or if a third party option suits them better. Don't like the stock keyboard? Download SwiftKey. Don't like the stock email client? Download Mail Droid or K9. Don't like the stock file manager? Download ES. That's Android's shtick. It's all about fine tailoring the experience to what makes you the most productive. Sure, it may sound good to say "Well BB can do all this out of the box!" but what if those options don't work for you and you have no way to customize them? I'm not saying those native programs on BB suck, because they're certainly great things to have right off. I'm just saying that for some people having the option to fine tune the experience serves them the best.
    21stNow and bp3dots like this.
    12-29-13 11:26 AM
    You could always organize the folders by date when trying to find a downloaded file. Also your statement kinda sounds like you're trying to find a file right after you download it. That part is the easiest since you just select it from the notification tray.
    Downloaded files go to the "Downloads" Directory on an S3. You can set some apps to download files to the SD Card instead of the Internal Storage to save space, like the Stock Samsung Browser can do. Other apps will save to Internal Storage.

Some apps download files to their own cache directories and many times they are put there for a reason. If you download a SkyDrive file it will go to the SkyDrive download directory, and they need to stay there because the file can change in the Cloud Storage and you don't want to be opening an out of date version of it. Google Play Music added support for saving to the SD Card, and obviously that music will go to its own folder because in some cases it is DRM'd content, anyways and doesn't belong in your normal media player...

I am not seeing the issue with File Management on Android.

Yes, more developers should put their App Directories under /Android/<package.name> but it isn't the mess that many people make it out to be :-P
    12-29-13 11:27 AM
    I ordered mine, but it should arrive only in the first week of 2014... But I already have quite a lot of experience with BB10, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one... I have 2 androids at home, so I know both OS well enought.
    What android do you have at home? I used Android for over a year (don't know if that is sufficient enough to qualify me for opinionating) but I found several issues with it that I couldn't accept and eventually left.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:30 AM
    A mobile OS does not completely suck because it doesn't come with native file manager, especially if there are well built apps (that have tons of features) that take care of it. The exaggeration in this thread is unbearable. Also Android 4.4 comes with a file picker. (Apparently many people do not know this.)

Let's be realistic for a one minute. All mobile OSes have their strengths and weaknesses. They all have features that make them stand out and attract people who find them useful. To say any of the mobile Operating systems suck makes one look ignorant.
    12-29-13 11:32 AM
    @propeller10 but that's exactly what these android addicts are saying about BlackBerry 10. Sucks because "too little too late" and " haz no apps"

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 11:38 AM
    Forgive me for attacking "BB10." I'm sure it's hurt feelings will rebound.
    Very funny. My point still stands though. Lambasting BB for a lack of apps as a defense for the lack of a native file manager on android is nonsensical.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-29-13 11:38 AM
    This isn't quite accurate. Android provides plenty of out of the box functionality and it's up to the user to choose if that functionality is enough for their needs or if a third party option suits them better. Don't like the stock keyboard? Download SwiftKey. Don't like the stock email client? Download Mail Droid or K9. Don't like the stock file manager? Download ES. That's Android's shtick. It's all about fine tailoring the experience to what makes you the most productive. Sure, it may sound good to say "Well BB can do all this out of the box!" but what if those options don't work for you and you have no way to customize them? I'm not saying those native programs on BB suck, because they're certainly great things to have right off. I'm just saying that for some people having the option to fine tune the experience serves them the best.
    I understand that, and that would be fine for me, I actualy love that costomizability and make thing my own way... but most people aren't as geeky as us, and I would say that 90% of the people out there with android, download facebook, tweeter and netflix and call it a day, because they don't even know that those apps exist. Is like windows on a PC, there's so much usefull stuff out there, but nobody knows.

But this christmas I bought a 5.5 inch android for my mom. I just don't find it very user friendly for non-geek people like us. Out of the box, I think she would have a easier time learning from a IOS for example. In the end, thanks to android costomizability, I end up geting some widgets and making some apps show up righ away on her eyes, and make it very easy to use (she came from a black and white 8 year old nokia), but thats because I did it, if she was on her own, she probably wouldn't know much about the phone now. I don't find android intuitive for people that don't care about phones. Costomizability is nice for people that know how to use it, and is a liability for people that don't.

And this topic falls into that.... The lack of a decent file explorer isn't a huge liability for android, since only a handfull of users would actualy use it, 95% of the people would never open the file browser...
    12-29-13 11:39 AM
    Also Android 4.4 comes with a file picker. (Apparently many people do not know this.)
    I didn't know lol. Where can I find it?
    Saiga and MERCDROID like this.
    12-29-13 11:40 AM

But if Blackberry does not have this issue, why does Blackberry even bother developing means for its users to access the very same eco system that causes a lot of problems for Android users?
    Do Blackberry users automatically know which app is good in the Blackberry App World? And will they know which app is good or not once they have the ability to download and install APK from Android app stores?

Your second paragraph renders the first paragraph moot.
    12-29-13 11:43 AM
    I didn't know lol. Where can I find it?
    Details and instructions on how to use it: 9 Lesser-Known New Features In Android 4.4 KitKat
    pantlesspenguin and MERCDROID like this.
    A mobile OS does not completely suck because it doesn't come with native file manager, especially if there are well built apps (that have tons of features) that take care of it. The exaggeration in this thread is unbearable. Also Android 4.4 comes with a file picker. (Apparently many people do not know this.)

Let's be realistic for a one minute. All mobile OSes have their strengths and weaknesses. They all have features that make them stand out and attract people who find them useful. To say any of the mobile Operating systems suck makes one look ignorant.
    Android 4.4 won't make its way on many older devices for a while, meaning they are still stuck with crackerjack third party apps for file exploration/management (which may or may not be important to some).

Posted via CB10
    Not for this user. Basic functionality like file management should not be a crap shoot, as is just about every aspect of the Android experience, particularly finding apps among the hundreds of thousands out there that do actually seamlessly integrate with the OS. CB10 is far from basic functionality, so that's a pretty weak comparison -- it is exactly what it is, an app for performing a specific task that some users may or may not use or want. File management is not something that should be left to third party developers for the best solution.
    Every decent OEM Android device has a File Manager, and that's 95% of Android's sales. Even the lowest of the low end devices often ship with one...

Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG. I've used all of those, and they all have a File Manager. Even the crappy Huawei Loaner on Android 2.3.6 that my mom used for a while after her One X died on her had a File Manager built in.

Am I missing the real point of this discussion?
    bekkay likes this.
    12-29-13 11:45 AM
    I understand that, and that would be fine for me, I actualy love that costomizability and make thing my own way... but most people aren't as geeky as us, and I would say that 90% of the people out there with android, download facebook, tweeter and netflix and call it a day, because they don't even know that those apps exist. Is like windows on a PC, there's so much usefull stuff out there, but nobody knows.

But this christmas I bought a 5.5 inch android for my mom. I just don't find it very user friendly for non-geek people like us. Out of the box, I think she would have a easier time learning from a IOS for example. In the end, thanks to android costomizability, I end up geting some widgets and making some apps show up righ away on her eyes, and make it very easy to use (she came from a black and white 8 year old nokia), but thats because I did it, if she was on her own, she probably wouldn't know much about the phone now. I don't find android intuitive for people that don't care about phones. Costomizability is nice for people that know how to use it, and is a liability for people that don't.
    I agree with this as well. With Android you basically get out of it what you put in. If you take the time to learn the it's and outs it can become quite the handy tool. But lots f people have simpler needs and just need a phone to work without messing with it much.
    12-29-13 11:46 AM
    The File Picker isn't a file manager, it's an extension to managing google cloud services like drive.

From your Article it says.

You can also sort the files by name, last modified date and size, and choose between list and grid layout. One can?t help but think how nice it would have been if Google had also added basic file management options (opening, deleting, renaming, viewing properties etc.) to the feature and added its shortcut to the App drawer to make it a stock File Manager app ? a feature that was considered a standard for mobile operating systems in the pre-iOS, Android & Windows Phone era.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and grover5 like this.
    12-29-13 11:49 AM
    I agree with this as well. With Android you basically get out of it what you put in. If you take the time to learn the it's and outs it can become quite the handy tool. But lots f people have simpler needs and just need a phone to work without messing with it much.
    And that's why apple sells. When people complain that IOS lacks a lot of features, and the OS is overly simple... It might be loosing for power users, but for the dumb rich guy, the iphone and ipad are very simple devices that are very simple to understand. And that's why they think that their phone has features that others don't. Like the Retina Display... The average guy won't understand the PPI on or 4324x2342 resolution, but they understand "Retina"... SO a lot of people think that "retina" is a special screen that only apple has...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-29-13 11:50 AM
    Every decent OEM Android device has a File Manager, and that's 95% of Android's sales. Even the lowest of the low end devices often ship with one...

Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG. I've used all of those, and they all have a File Manager. Even the crappy Huawei Loaner on Android 2.3.6 that my mom used for a while after her One X died on her had a File Manager built in.

Am I missing the real point of this discussion?
    That's what was puzzling about the OP. He said he had used the S3 and S4, both of which come with My Files built-in.
    Donvald likes this.
    12-29-13 11:51 AM
    Details and instructions on how to use it: 9 Lesser-Known New Features In Android 4.4 KitKat
    The file Picker isn't a File Manager, it's used to pick files for google drive/cloud services and enables you to manage your online files easier.

It makes sense, google wants you to store all your stuff on their servers so they can make more money from your information.

An exerpt from your posted link.

You can also sort the files by name, last modified date and size, and choose between list and grid layout. One can?t help but think how nice it would have been if Google had also added basic file management options (opening, deleting, renaming, viewing properties etc.) to the feature and added its shortcut to the App drawer to make it a stock File Manager app ? a feature that was considered a standard for mobile operating systems in the pre-iOS, Android & Windows Phone era.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 11:52 AM
    My 2012 Motorola RAZR came with a "Files" app, so maybe it varies per manufacturer? I just assumed it was a standard android app until I saw this thread.
    12-29-13 11:52 AM
    My 2012 Motorola RAZR came with a "Files" app, so maybe it varies per manufacturer? I just assumed it was a standard android app until I saw this thread.
    Cyanogenmod also comes with a file manager.
    12-29-13 11:56 AM
586 ... 1314151617 ...