I don't have a problem with the file manager. What exactly don't/didn't you like op?

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    I have an S3 as my secondary phone and file management is one of the biggest problems I have with it. You download a file and its almost impossible to find it, especially if you can;t remember the name. Its just the way the files and folders are organised, it is rather clumsy and complicated.
    12-29-13 06:59 AM
    Yes. The thread is about the lack of a stock file manager on android. Why do you need to attack BlackBerry 10 while you recognize that failure. Did it make it easier for you to admit it?

Posted via CB10
    Forgive me for attacking "BB10." I'm sure it's hurt feelings will rebound.
    bekkay likes this.
    12-29-13 07:12 AM
    Totally missing the point.... why pay all this money for a device that can't perform the most basic of tasks natively... file management to any professional or busy person, is absolutely essential... it should bent he heart of the UI.... it's why I sold my idevices....

Posted via CB10
    This is what folks say about sideloading and leaks. Why pay all that money for a BB10 device and have to scour the internet for apps to make it work?

If native file management access was as key as you suggest, I suspect BB10 would not be challenged by WP8. I won't even mention the other two.

Choice is good.
    Donvald, kbz1960, TgeekB and 2 others like this.
    12-29-13 07:26 AM
    Since we are talking about file managers, I'd like to have an "open with..." option.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-29-13 07:41 AM
    I have an S3 as my secondary phone and file management is one of the biggest problems I have with it. You download a file and its almost impossible to find it, especially if you can;t remember the name. Its just the way the files and folders are organised, it is rather clumsy and complicated.
    You could always organize the folders by date when trying to find a downloaded file. Also your statement kinda sounds like you're trying to find a file right after you download it. That part is the easiest since you just select it from the notification tray.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 12-29-13 at 08:22 AM.
    Saiga, bekkay, Donvald and 1 others like this.
    12-29-13 07:48 AM
    I've kind of been half heartedly following this thread. I was doing other things last night when it was blowing up, so I'm not sure if this point has been made yet. I rarely use the file manager I have on my device, whether it's BB or Android. I manage files from within the app where the file belongs. For example I manage my documents through my office app, my photos through my album app, my music through my music player, etc. It cuts down on time searching for a specific file since I know what type of file it is. The only exception I can think of is that sometimes I'll go to the downloads folder to see what all I've downloaded from the net, and that folder is easy to find on Android with the native file manager and not the fancy one I've downloaded (settings - storage - downloads).

That being said, I did like BB10's native file manager better than Android's native one (and yes, Android has a native one. Not sure why people are trying to claim otherwise?). But ultimately it's not a deal breaker for me since like I mentioned I typically manage files from their respective apps.
    12-29-13 08:22 AM
    Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    But is it a reason most people should choose BB10? No. That's the point a lot of us are making.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-29-13 08:53 AM
    File manager and OS should be brother and sister end of story ....forget the APPs, unless and unless John Chen on an enterprise level thru BES 10 can manage the 3rd party File App to give you a BB experience.
    12-29-13 08:57 AM
    I would trash the Android phone on this alone ...good one
    12-29-13 09:02 AM
    my buddy has a Note 3 and updated the OS and all his defaults did not work actually some apps deleted his locked files.
    Anyway never never had any issues with BB file manager actually I love it. But what i really miss from my Bold 9900 is the " View Text " feature. I open an email or PDF a click " View Text " and makes the email and downloaded PDF quickly readable.
    12-29-13 09:06 AM
    Gotcha. I don't think that's enough for users to switch, especially considering they have multiple solutions to the problem.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    And this is pretty much the main point.

"Stock" as a concept is mostly trumped by easily accessible extended functionality. Few people, IMHO, use completely stock devices. We get apps, accessories and the like to make them "ours."

Give me a good base, and give me the tools to grow. I'd be more concerned if I needed a file manager and I couldn't get one.

For those that need a "robust" stock file manager, it's good to know that BB10 is a viable option.
    12-29-13 09:06 AM
    And this is pretty much the main point.

"Stock" as a concept is mostly trumped by easily accessible extended functionality. Few people, IMHO, use completely stock devices. We get apps, accessories and the like to make them "ours."

Give me a good base, and give me the tools to grow. I'd be more concerned if I needed a file manager and I couldn't get one.

For those that need a "robust" stock file manager, it's good to know that BB10 is a viable option.
    Its not about being able to provide your self with tools needed to maintain your OS, it about the OS having these tools built in because it is a basic and logical function within any OS.
    Although you make a good point, it just doesn't make sense for an OS to have this function with held and left to the mercy of third party developers to bloat with advertisement and unpleasant UI.

Additionally, for those of you quoting sales and stating that file managers aren't important. Check your play store for the paid and free versions of various popular file managers, each has over 10,000,000 - 50, 000, 000 Installs. If you add all these up that gives you a good estimate of half a billion installs (not assuming the same person downloaded other apps), how do you dispute this? How does that make it not important????

People are not buying blackberry for other reasons, and no file manager could save it but by the same token Android's lack of a file manager could cause some even if it is 1 person to switch to a sturdier platform even if it isn't blackberry.
    12-29-13 09:34 AM
    Its not about being able to provide your self with tools needed to maintain your OS, it about the OS having these tools built in because it is a basic and logical function within any OS.
    Although you make a good point, it just doesn't make sense for an OS to have this function with held and left to the mercy of third party developers to bloat with advertisement and unpleasant UI.

Additionally, for those of you quoting sales and stating that file managers aren't important. Check your play store for the paid and free versions of various popular file managers, each has over 10,000,000 - 50, 000, 000 Installs. If you add all these up that gives you a good estimate of half a billion installs (not assuming the same person downloaded other apps), how do you dispute this? How does that make it not important????

People are not buying blackberry for other reasons, and no file manager could save it but by the same token Android's lack of a file manager could cause some even if it is 1 person to switch to a sturdier platform even if it isn't blackberry.
    I guess some people could technically leave Android because it doesn't have a native file Explorer, but I would guess it would be insignificant. People are used to and like the Android ecosystem and what it provides - freedom of choice. Customers will ultimately decide.

12-29-13 09:56 AM
    I guess some people could technically leave Android because it doesn't have a native file Explorer, but I would guess it would be insignificant. People are used to and like the Android ecosystem and what it provides - freedom of choice. Customers will ultimately decide.
    How do you know every single Android owner likes their phone, that quite speculative and unrealistic. Every brand has its fair share of deserters who leave and switch between brands and Android isn't immune to this. Its a grandiose delusion to think that everyone loves Android. If that was true I wouldn't have left, and there wouldn't be as many android phones for sale on kijiji or ebay.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-13 10:00 AM

I'll be the first to tell you that even though I feel Android is a pretty good, some of the things Google ignores and/or delays in adding makes no sense. I hate it when Android users use "just root it" as a solution LOL.

This is why the development community is so important IMHO. It pushes the envelope, and forces Google to keep up.
    12-29-13 10:03 AM
    Very nice.
    I guess some people could technically leave Android because it doesn't have a native file Explorer, but I would guess it would be insignificant. People are...
    I've learned some facts while reading this thread.

For the record, I wouldn't scrap an Android for this 1 single reason. I wouldn't use this "lack" as a single argument when discussing with a friend why to avoid Android if they are getting their first smartphone.

For the record, it is a serious lack and I think the OP had all valid points about this lack. A thousand posts ago I wrote that this "lack" could be described as serious, without taking it so seriously that one would tell everyone to jettison their Android phones. So there.

Novice questions. Where can I learn about the better features of other file managers? Where can I learn about the limitations and workarounds of the BlackBerry file manager?

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-13 10:09 AM
    These threads make me laugh! Everyone goes back and forth, Samboys show up, Winboys, iOS Drones show up, and there seems to be a lot of senselessness that goes on. LOL! I don't care how much a person defends, stands up, or fights for there favorite product it never helps. Have the coworker go try the product and see for himself. I Like my Z30, it was built with every productivity app at the start for the business minded person, I use it throughout my day. It organizes for me without questions or directions. It knows the app I need when opening up a file/Picture/PDF/video. It was designed for me, a business minded person. If I never downloaded or installed a single app on this device it would get me through perfectly because Blackberry put exactly what was needed to push through each and everyday! The Blackberry world is just a plus! IMHO NOW coworker go find the same device that works for you!
    deptech and Mecca EL like this.
    12-29-13 10:09 AM
    How do you know every single Android owner likes their phone, that quite speculative and unrealistic. Every brand has its fair share of deserters who leave and switch between brands and Android isn't immune to this. Its a grandiose delusion to think that everyone loves Android. If that was true I wouldn't have left, and there wouldn't be as many android phones for sale on kijiji or ebay.
    You never really explained why a 3rd party file manager is not a good solution on Android?

Given Android API's 3rd party solutions integrate well into the OS and provide ridiculous functionality.. For instance ES file Explorer.. I mean look at the feature list

In a world with the ability for 3rd party app developers to make something so well that integrates with an OS.. I do not see a problem. In 4.4 there is a file manager native but it is not as robust as others like ES.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    bekkay and Donvald like this.
    12-29-13 10:11 AM
    For most users, distinctions such as this are moot especially if the app seamlessly integrates with the OS.

I wouldn't ding BB10 for not having a CB10 built in for instance. I can get it, and it works well.
    Not for this user. Basic functionality like file management should not be a crap shoot, as is just about every aspect of the Android experience, particularly finding apps among the hundreds of thousands out there that do actually seamlessly integrate with the OS. CB10 is far from basic functionality, so that's a pretty weak comparison -- it is exactly what it is, an app for performing a specific task that some users may or may not use or want. File management is not something that should be left to third party developers for the best solution.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-13 10:14 AM
    File management is not something that should be left to third party developers for the best solution.
    The best file management solution, for me and many other Android users, is only possible from third party developers though. Do you really think a normal everyday Android device could come out of the box with a file manager as powerful as something like Root Explorer? I can delete and modify system files with Root Explorer. I can modify the permissions of files and folders on my phone using it as well. Do you really think Google could just let anyone have those features with Android stock? People who didn't know what they were doing would be destroying their phones left and right if they did.

A native solution could never be the "best solution" for everyone in the case of Android. Now on a locked down system such as BlackBerry, then yeah, native would be the best.
    12-29-13 10:32 AM
    You never really explained why a 3rd party file manager is not a good solution on Android?

Given Android API's 3rd party solutions integrate well into the OS and provide ridiculous functionality.. For instance ES file Explorer.. I mean look at the feature list

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/vy8e4emy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/8uteja8e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/2u2agejy.jpg

In a world with the ability for 3rd party app developers to make something so well that integrates with an OS.. I do not see a problem. In 4.4 there is a file manager native but it is not as robust as others like ES.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I believe one reason is there would be a lack of integration between itself and other applications within the native OS environment.

Posted using my beloved Z30
    12-29-13 10:33 AM
    By default, all downloaded files to save to your phone should go into the "Downloads" folder which is easily accessibly via the Downloads app. or with Touchwiz should come with a "My Files" App which is Samsung's native file manager app.
    12-29-13 10:41 AM
    I'll be the first to tell you that even though I feel Android is a pretty good, some of the things Google ignores and/or delays in adding makes no sense. I hate it when Android users use "just root it" as a solution LOL.

This is why the development community is so important IMHO. It pushes the envelope, and forces Google to keep up.
    That's admirable of you to say, it's important to realize and admit a flaw if it exists in something even though it may be your favorite.
    Most people blidnly defend their brand because then they would feel less adequate about owning it if they ever agreed flaws existed.

You can find some of that in this thread!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zten; 12-29-13 at 11:07 AM.
    12-29-13 10:51 AM
    That's admirable of you to say, it's important to realize and admit a flaw if it exists in something even though it may be your favorite.
    Most people blidnly defend android because then they would feel less adequate about owning it if they ever agreed flaws existed.

You can find some of those people in this thread!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 10:51 AM
    Most people blidnly defend android because then they would feel less adequate about owning it if they ever agreed flaws existed.

Posted via CB10
    Same with some people and BB (not directed toward you, just in general). The whole Z10 "rebootgate" springs to mind.
    kbz1960, mikeo007 and 21stNow like this.
    12-29-13 10:56 AM
586 ... 1213141516 ...