How about we just cut to the chase. we all know what the OP was trying to say that Android is not a proper or complete operating system. Based on a file manager and people should buy blackberry 10 based on Android file manager or lack thereof, nevermind that I can get multiple ones from Google Play Store if I actually needed one.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    So it's complete because other companies or individuals offer what they failed to. That makes sense. I'm not sure why we all didn't get that from the start.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:45 AM
    Not arguing that. I wish Android had a good file manager so that I could save a few seconds downloading a third-party one.

I (as well as many others here) am, however, arguing that, when you have excellent third-party offerings, the lack of a native file manager is hardly a big problem.
    Definitely not a reason enough to switch platforms as the title of this thread suggests.
    It was for the OP.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-13 12:47 AM
    Hmm, what makes android attractive is how much can be done with 3rd party developers. I can backup apps and install a new os via Android file managers.
    12-29-13 12:48 AM
    So it's complete because other companies or individuals offer what they failed to. That makes sense. I'm not sure why we all didn't get that from the start.
    You must also be using IE on your computer?

Again, nothing wrong with that if you like it. However, if you use it just because it's "native", I don't know what to think.
    Tre Lawrence and Donvald like this.
    12-29-13 12:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    The point is there is no perfect pie in the sky OS, why start a post "Androids file manager is reason enough for people to switch to Blackberry" when I can get one in like the time it took me to type this from the Google play Store. Just like I could say " Blackberry 10 is incomplete because it now depends on Android Apps to attempt to fill-in its gaping App Gap".
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-29-13 12:53 AM
    You must also be using IE on your computer?

Again, nothing wrong with that if you like it. However, if you use it just because it's "native", I don't know what to think.
    Yeah. That's a browser. Bad argument though. Especially since IE actually exists.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:01 AM
    The point is there is no perfect pie in the sky OS, why start a post "Androids file manager is reason enough for people to switch to Blackberry" when I can get one in like the time it took me to type this from the Google play Store. Just like I could say " Blackberry 10 is incomplete because it now depends on Android Apps to attempt to fill-in its gaping App Gap".
    Then nobody should post their reasons for why their OS is the one they prefer. And you would then have too much time to kill without the luxury of telling BlackBerry users on a BlackBerry site why you love samsung so much.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-13 01:05 AM
    Hmm, what makes android attractive is how much can be done with 3rd party developers. I can backup apps and install a new os via Android file managers.
    Cool. If that's the functionality you prefer then that's great. Enjoy it from your third party apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:06 AM
    Then nobody should post their reasons for why their OS is the one they prefer. And you would then have too much time to kill without the luxury of telling BlackBerry users on a BlackBerry site why you love samsung so much.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly with the title he put on this thread nobody should be surprised at the push back, maybe he should have titled it " Why I prefer Blackberry 10's file manager over Androids file system. it came off as people should switch because yours sucks, but mines make Sunny days, Flowers and Unicorns.
    bekkay, Bishkin, MERCDROID and 3 others like this.
    12-29-13 01:20 AM
    Honestly with the title he put on this thread nobody should be surprised at the push back, maybe he should have titled it " Why I prefer Blackberry 10's file manager over Androids file system. it came off as people should switch because yours sucks, but mines make Sunny days, Flowers and Unicorns.
    I can agree with that.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-29-13 01:21 AM
    Yeah. That's a browser. Bad argument though. Especially since IE actually exists.
    Not sure how a web browser is different as it is a critical piece of software people arguably use more than a file browser.

Now, as for your counterargument that IE exists and a file manager in Android doesn't:

1) Most ROMs and skins include a file manager by default (e.g. Touchwiz My Files).

2) The argument is still valid as people still use third-party software/apps instead of the native apps even if the latter come pre-installed (anti-malware, media players, image viewers/editors, word processors, browsers, etc). And you don't see people saying they would prefer the native app just because it's native, especially when the third-party alternative offers so much more.
    pantlesspenguin, Saiga and 21stNow like this.
    12-29-13 01:23 AM
    File managing apps and built in file manager are world's apart. The few apps I downloaded to 'file manage' were free, loaded with adds, clunky UI and made the whole process seem more gimmicky than it should be. File managing/exploring should be owned by the OS and not an external application.

Posted via CB10
    This is why BlackBerry 10 and its file manager rock any mobile platform, because its integrated. No need for installing 3rd party managers which you have no idea what or who is monitoring what is on your device. No Thanks,

The Z10 and soon to come Z30 is plain and simply the best phones out to date.
    12-29-13 01:30 AM
    This is why BlackBerry 10 and its file manager rock any mobile platform, because its integrated. No need for installing 3rd party managers which you have no idea what or who is monitoring what is on your device. No Thanks,
    Lol. You do, read the permissions.

Plus, if you are that paranoid, never ever install any app that accesses your file system, which would be pretty much most apps. Just to give you a perspective - most popular apps in many cases require more permissions than a file manager.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-29-13 01:32 AM
    I never understand how people don't know how to see if apps are sending your information.

1. They won't do more than the permissions you give them.

2. Packet monitoring is not hard.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-29-13 01:58 AM
    Downloading a leaked OS to actually get apps is not the same thing as opening up your native app store and searching for an app.

There is a very clear difference. One is official and the other isn't. One requires the installation of an entire OS, the other doesn't. One is to add an entire ecosystem, the other is already using an ecosystem that is made for the platform.

Downloading and installing a leak is not the same thing as downloading and installing an app. To say that is the exact same thing is complete misinformation.
    That's not quite where I was going with that, I should have explained it better. You and I have both seen instances where, in order to get one or two additional options, people have been told told to install an entire OS. And it's done just as someone would tell another to get X app. Basically, thus: hey I want to be able to do that! OK, go here, click this, download and install this app/OS, have a ball.

You are correct. There is no stock file manager in Android (some skins/ROMs include one though).

Now, an honest question - what web browser do you use on your Windows computer?
    So you chose to use the worst browser on the market because it is native?
    IE11 and Chrome for me, depends on what I want to do. I did my homework.

I did not know it's the worst browser on the market and if it is I don't care, and I don't have to justify to you why I use it as you are side tracking from the original argument which is what people tend to do when they have nothing else to contribute.

Android is a disaster, google is a disaster, chrome is a disaster. I have used the products extensively and they are nothing but free products that mine you for information. The whole android platform does this. Abundance of free apps where every single app needs access to your call log, email, SMS, calendar, contacts, Internet access.

I'm not judging you for what you use, I just realize this for my self and have stopped.

I'll continue using Internet Explorer since it meets my needs and so does blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    I support usage of IE9 and newer; however I disagree with your assessment of Android. I'm not going to belittle your opinion as that would be insulting, and I wouldn't want anyone putting down my choice of anything just because they don't agree with me. I've used BBOS, BB10, iOS, Android, and played with a friend's WP7; there's little and big parts that I would love nothing more than to be able to combine for an even better mobile experience than what I'd get from each on their own. BB10's file manager is great that it's native - native for me is best because that means not only minimizing what or who the 3rd party is accessing my data but more importantly it's less extra code being added to the system. And while I know in this day and age coders are vastly improved and do better work with better tools, I still have flashbacks to when merely thinking about installing something could crash a system.

Cool. If that's the functionality you prefer then that's great. Enjoy it from your third party apps.

Posted via CB10
    And I do, after I open an eye and see there's no errors or nuclear meltdowns after I install something. =))

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:17 AM
    Smart guy. Nice to see people seeing the power of a Z30.
    12-29-13 02:23 AM
    I'd also like to add that while I'm a fan of the BB10 file manager, it isn't as robust as claimed. Sure it can zip/unpack on device, access Box, Dropbox, and there's RFA. Now try copy,move, and delete multiple files. On BBOS 7 I could select multiple files in a row by touching first and last file in a series, even if they weren't both visible. BB10, that's press and hold, tap to select more, then peck repeatedly. One by one.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:42 AM
    Android users have access to the best file managing apps in the business. The one I use has built in functionality with Dropbox, Box, GDrive etc.
    I'm pretty sure Android 4.4 has a new file manager and it integrates with cloud services, etc. So that's not much of a point.

OEMs like HTC and Samsung have built in file management apps.

Directories are used by apps because they're needed to store that app's data. Where else do people expect the apps to put that data, in system folders?
    bekkay and TgeekB like this.
    12-29-13 02:52 AM
    That's never been my experience. Once I had Quick Office (most recent) set as default I never get asked again, unless I add a new compatible app, and that just takes an extra tap to set the default. After a few days of having a new phone, I very rarely see that dialog. And having multiple productivity apps is fine, as some will invariably be better than others at different things.

I do, however, think the file manager should be built in, but I won't complain too much with excellent methods available to do so.
    In HTC phones you can set the defaults in the settings and it will never ask even if you add a new app. It will use what default the user set.

It's one of the features I missed going from HTC to Samsung :-)
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-29-13 02:55 AM
    I'd also like to add that while I'm a fan of the BB10 file manager, it isn't as robust as claimed. Sure it can zip/unpack on device, access Box, Dropbox, and there's RFA. Now try copy,move, and delete multiple files. On BBOS 7 I could select multiple files in a row by touching first and last file in a series, even if they weren't both visible. BB10, that's press and hold, tap to select more, then peck repeatedly. One by one.

Posted via CB10
    That's not a measure of robustness. Robustness typically measures stability and reliability, not feature count or feature bloat.

It simply just lacks features that you'd prefer it have, which does not make it unreliable. Just unusable due to not meeting your specifications for that use case - and for that use case only.
    12-29-13 03:07 AM
    That's not a measure of robustness. Robustness typically measures stability and reliability, not feature count or feature bloat.

It simply just lacks features that you'd prefer it have, which does not make it unreliable. Just unusable due to not meeting your specifications for that use case - and for that use case only.
    The posters saying it's robust are using the word "robust" to mean "feature-filled"; I was directing that towards them. Robust also means "full-bodied".
    12-29-13 03:17 AM
    Robust doesn't mean feature filled. It doesn't and has never been used by software developers in that way.

We refer to unstable or insecure software as lacking in robustness.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-29-13 03:19 AM
    Robust doesn't mean feature filled. It doesn't and has never been used by software developers in that way.

Perhaps the persons using robust to describe features aren't software developers. Just a thought.
    12-29-13 03:29 AM

You lost me. I can access computers in my house, in my apartment, my office, my SD card, my device, and drop box from my file manager. It is the most robust file manager I have ever used on a tablet, computer or phone. Where is it limited?

Posted via CB10
    There's the post. Go quibble there.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 03:36 AM
    For most users, distinctions such as this are moot especially if the app seamlessly integrates with the OS.

I wouldn't ding BB10 for not having a CB10 built in for instance. I can get it, and it works well.
    Totally missing the point.... why pay all this money for a device that can't perform the most basic of tasks natively... file management to any professional or busy person, is absolutely essential... it should bent he heart of the UI.... it's why I sold my idevices....

Posted via CB10
    sleepngbear and Mecca EL like this.
    12-29-13 05:48 AM
586 ... 1112131415 ...