OR any application with "root" in the application name. File Managers or otherwise. But that might not be obvious enough?
    Because those apps usually access system settings. It is why they need root. I am talking about moving and organizing third party apps with the file manager. That does not require root, unless you move a system app.

The person I quoted seems to think file management requires root for whatever reason. Only certain access.

Root Explorer can be used without root access. It does not need SU to function properly, but it does need SU to fully function (use all the features).
    12-28-13 09:51 PM
    It's always a non issue when your platform is the target of scrutiny.

That being said I think most of you got side tracked, yes I know android can manage it self (processes, running apps etc) but that's not what this is about.

READ THIS
    Android lacks a built in ability to allow a user to explore the directories of the system. For example you can't navigate through the operating systems directories where all your information is stored without downloading a third party app such as es File explorer.

^^^^^

Not hard to read!
    You are correct. There is no stock file manager in Android (some skins/ROMs include one though).

Now, an honest question - what web browser do you use on your Windows computer?
    12-28-13 09:52 PM
    It's always a non issue when your platform is the target of scrutiny.

That being said I think most of you got side tracked, yes I know android can manage it self (processes, running apps etc) but that's not what this is about.

READ THIS
    Android lacks a built in ability to allow a user to explore the directories of the system. For example you can't navigate through the operating systems directories where all your information is stored without downloading a third party app such as es File explorer.

^^^^^

Not hard to read!

Posted via CB10
    I get exactly what your saying, all I'm doing is pointing out how pathetic of a talking point this actually is. Its really reaching and grasping for straws...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    bekkay likes this.
    12-28-13 09:52 PM
    I get exactly what your saying, all I'm doing is pointing out how pathetic of a talking point this actually is. Its reaching....far.

I was simply pointing out that most people don't know this about android, and that like many of you say 'file managers aren't important/sales records prove people don't care' some of us consider it valuable. Some android users went on the attack right away!

Posted via CB10
    bekkay, MERCDROID and Mecca EL like this.
    12-28-13 09:55 PM
    READ THIS

^^^^^

Not hard to read!

Posted via CB10
    I read it... neither can the built in file manager in Blackberry. Having access to the root OS directories is potentially fatal for any operating system.
    Blackberry's file manager only allows you to see the users accessible portions of the storage unit. It does not allow you to see any of the system folders.
    12-28-13 09:55 PM
    You are correct. There is no stock file manager in Android (some skins/ROMs include one though).

Now, an honest question - what web browser do you use on your Windows computer?
    I use whatever version of explorer is installed on my laptop and surface rt. (I realize explorer is not the most 'hip' browser out there but it doesn't matter to me) I did own a nexus 7 but got tired of android farming me for data.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:56 PM
    I read it... neither can the built in file manager in Blackberry. Having access to the root OS directories is potentially fatal for any operating system.
    Blackberry's file manager only allows you to see the users accessible portions of the storage unit. It does not allow you to see any of the system folders.
    Maybe I worded that wrong, but on android you can't see any files of any kind without downloading apps like es File explorer. Unless I am r3tarded and there has been some sort of major implementation since September?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:57 PM
    2. There's a lot of suggestions ON BOTH SIDES of the argument that if something isn't included all someone needs to do is do some looking around and download/install a solution, and then calling out the other about doing the exact same thing.
    Example in this thread: Android backers suggesting that if the native Android file manager isn't working for a user, that user should hunt one down from Google Play. But, they then turn and scoff at downloading a leak to improve something.
    Downloading a leaked OS to actually get apps is not the same thing as opening up your native app store and searching for an app.

There is a very clear difference. One is official and the other isn't. One requires the installation of an entire OS, the other doesn't. One is to add an entire ecosystem, the other is already using an ecosystem that is made for the platform.

Downloading and installing a leak is not the same thing as downloading and installing an app. To say that is the exact same thing is complete misinformation.
    21stNow likes this.
    12-28-13 09:58 PM
    I was simply pointing out that most people don't know this about android, and that like many of you say 'file managers aren't important/sales records prove people don't care' some of us consider it valuable. Some android users went on the attack right away!

Posted via CB10
    But you should also recognize that for whom it is important to, such as you or i, there is nothing being loss by not having a native file browser. By default it is not there on stock devices but it certainly can be had if desired, very easily at that. To those who want it, typically power users, downloading it from the play store is barely even a task. So easy in fact that this concern is pure laughable.

21stNow and TgeekB like this.
    12-28-13 09:59 PM
    I use whatever version of explorer is installed on my laptop and surface rt. (I realize explorer is not the most 'hip' browser out there but it doesn't matter to me) I did own a nexus 7 but got tired of android farming me for data.
    Fair enough.

I just wanted to use that point to show that people absolutely don't care whether it's native or third-party as long as an app/software works for them.

BB10 file manager may be a good one, but being native is hardly one of its important strengths. If it wasn't good and there were better third-party file manager guess what people would use.
    12-28-13 10:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you chose to use the worst browser on the market because it is native?
    12-28-13 10:02 PM
    But you should also recognize that for whom it is important to, such as me, there is nothing being loss by not having a native file browser. By default it is not there on stock devices but it certainly can be had if desired, very easily at that. To those who want it, downloading it from the play store is barely even a task. So easy in fact that this concern is pure laughable.

Stock and downloading a app is not the same thing I think I pointed that out. Every os should have the capability of allowing the user this function natively. As it seems laughable that such a critical os dependant task would be left to third party devs to tinker with. Whether or not you think that is not relevant since you enjoy your device and that's what's Important to to you.

But for my friend like I originally posted, this function was mandatory and he did not know android did not have it built in.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:02 PM
    If it works for him, why not?

The most important take-away point however is that most people don't give a flying ... to whether the browser is native or not as long as the app works well and gets developer's support.
    12-28-13 10:03 PM
    Seriously, what's so great about the native file manager on bb10 anyway? What does it actually do that adds actual function over something as robust as es file explorer on android?

12-28-13 10:04 PM
    If it works for him, why not?

The most important take-away point however is that most people don't give a flying ... to whether the browser is native or not.
    That's great if it works for him. I'm not questioning that.
    12-28-13 10:05 PM
    Explorer 11 is technically the most secure browser.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-28-13 10:05 PM
    Android kitkat 4.4 includes something similar to a file manager called file picker.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11...r-more-useful/

http://www.addictivetips.com/android...tkat-features/

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    12-28-13 10:06 PM
    I did not know it's the worst browser on the market and if it is I don't care, and I don't have to justify to you why I use it as you are side tracking from the original argument which is what people tend to do when they have nothing else to contribute.

Android is a disaster, google is a disaster, chrome is a disaster. I have used the products extensively and they are nothing but free products that mine you for information. The whole android platform does this. Abundance of free apps where every single app needs access to your call log, email, SMS, calendar, contacts, Internet access.

I'm not judging you for what you use, I just realize this for my self and have stopped.

I'll continue using Internet Explorer since it meets my needs and so does blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-28-13 10:07 PM
    Seriously, what's so great about the native file manager on bb10 anyway? What does it actually do that adds actual function over something as robust as es file explorer on android?

The greatest thing about it is remote access to my PC, otherwise it's really nothing special IMO. My Z10 is so disorganized it's not even funny. I have tons of duplicate pictures, my SD card has tons of other duplicate files and other annoying things. This may have to do with installing leaks and restoring, but I have never had that problem with ANY other platform but BB10.
    12-28-13 10:07 PM
    Stock and downloading a app is not the same thing I think I pointed that out. Every os should have the capability of allowing the user this function natively. As it seems laughable that such a critical os dependant task would be left to third party devs to tinker with. Whether or not you think that is not relevant since you enjoy your device and that's what's Important to to you.

But for my friend like I originally posted, this function was mandatory and he did not know android did not have it built in.

Posted via CB10
    The access is clearly there because if they weren't we wouldn't have file managers on android at all. So it's definitely there, its just not exposed by default.

12-28-13 10:08 PM
    Android kitkat 4.4 includes something similar to a file manager called file picker.

Getting To Know Android 4.4 KitKat Edition - Android Gets Cleaner, Brighter, More Useful

9 Lesser-Known New Features In Android 4.4 KitKat

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the heads up. I totally missed this when I briefly tested the stock 4.4. I tend to install my file explorer of choice right away and freeze everything else I don't need.
    12-28-13 10:09 PM
    I did not know it's the worst browser on the market and if it is I don't care, and I don't have to justify to you why I use it as you are side tracking from the original argument which is what people tend to do when they have nothing else to contribute.

Android is a disaster, google is a disaster, chrome is a disaster. I have used the products extensively and they are nothing but free products that mine you for information. The whole android platform does this. Abundance of free apps where every single app needs access to your call log, email, SMS, calendar, contacts, Internet access.

I'm not judging you for what you use, I just realize this for my self and have stopped.

I'll continue using Internet Explorer since it meets my needs and so does blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    So you can't answer a simple question? Nothing to justify. It's just a simple yes or no. I wasn't asking for a reason.

You are side tracking your own thread now by calling Android and Google a disaster and you are just bashing. The discussion is on Androids lack of a native file manager, not whether or not Android or Google is this so called "disaster" that you are spouting out.

It's the disaster more than 50% of the market wants.

And I am happy Internet Explorer works for you. Once again, I just asked if you use it just because it is native. You make it sound like I am attacking your intelligence when I asked a simple question. Grow up.
    Donvald likes this.
    12-28-13 10:11 PM
    The greatest thing about it is remote access to my PC, otherwise it's really nothing special IMO. My Z10 is so disorganized it's not even funny. I have tons of duplicate pictures, my SD card has tons of other duplicate files and other annoying things. This may have to do with installing leaks and restoring, but I have never had that problem with ANY other platform but BB10.
    That's interesting to hear. Es file explorer also has access to files remotely on servers or PCs. Plus any cloud storage as well as external drives via otg USB.

12-28-13 10:12 PM
    So you can't answer a simple question? Nothing to justify. It's just a simple yes or no. I wasn't asking for a reason.

You are side tracking your own thread now by calling Android and Google a disaster and you are just bashing. The discussion is on Androids lack of a native file manager, not whether or not Android or Google is this so called "disaster" that you are spouting out.

It's the disaster more than 50% of the market wants.

And I am happy Internet Explorer works for you. Once again, I just asked if you use it just because it is native. You make it sound like I am attacking your intelligence when I asked a simple question. Grow up.
    I don't use things just cause they are 'native' when I used android some apps actually did better jobs than google provided apps and I recognized that. But a file explorer is not to be mistaken for an app. That's like on your windows OS or Mac OS leaving the whole explorer system up to devs and leaving out 'my computer'. Sure a third party dev can do it, but that's a job of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 10:15 PM
    Explorer 11 is technically the most secure browser.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Ok. It has horrible rendering, its engine is slow and it has awful HTML5 compliance. Everyone else is using webkit for a reason. Security is nice though. At least is has something going for it.
    12-28-13 10:17 PM
586 ... 910111213 ...