And it's no where to be found!

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Giant fail. Will Google ever learn that BlackBerry rules the world? LOL.
    bekkay likes this.
    12-28-13 07:52 PM
    Android doesn't have a native file manager.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8450

Posted using my beloved Z30
    12-28-13 07:57 PM
    I agree. I'd love for each and every mobile OS to have a native file manager. A native app will always be better than a third-party solution. But, with that said, I think it's safe to say, that it's not as big of a deal to most people as it is to some.

I just don't think a file manager should be the only reason that someone chooses one OS versus the others: several other factors should come into play. Otherwise, that person's not making a very informed decision.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Totally agree, and that is not the reason I got a Z10 I could careless for a file manager...but people kept missing the point that the OP was making so I wanted to Re irritate he never said this is a reason for all android users to go to blackberry he simply stated that a file manager is very important to him and the people he knows and android's file manager for lack of a better word it just sucks...like I said I could careless about a file manager, I do use the file explorer, box, and Dropbox.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID and Mecca EL like this.
    12-28-13 07:58 PM
    It's too complicated, fragmented, and full of malware for you to understand.
    Hahaha...that was a good one...

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:01 PM
    Totally agree, and that is not the reason I got a Z10 I could careless for a file manager...but people kept missing the point that the OP was making so I wanted to Re irritate he never said this is a reason for all android users to go to blackberry he simply stated that a file manager is very important to him and the people he knows and android's file manager for lack of a better word it just sucks...like I said I could careless about a file manager, I do use the file explorer, box, and Dropbox.

Posted via CB10
    Consider me re irritated! It's a good thing that this wasn't a keyboard thread.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-28-13 08:03 PM
    Yup. Giant fail. Will Google ever learn that BlackBerry rules the world? LOL.
    You're missing the point completely, can you please pay attention and read carefully through the thread.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:03 PM
    Consider me re irritated! It's a good thing that this wasn't a keyboard thread.
    Glad to help, and your welcome my friend

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:05 PM
    Thats the problem with android... the OS sucks, to make it worth anything, you have to download everything, you need app for everything so that it becomes half decent.... but in the end, the experience isnt unified, is a clear fragmentation in jumping between apps and widgets and all that crap....

Not to mention that not everybody wants to read the "the android bible" to know what they need, some people just want a phone that works right out of the box
    That's your problem with Android. Just as some folks think iOS, BB10, WP8 etc suck.

Thankfully, enough developers (BlackBerry included), OEMs, and others have enough of an investment in the OS. So much so that BBRY can depend on it.

Not bad for a "sucky" OS. I'm sure there are other companies that would want to suck half as much.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 12-28-13 at 10:26 PM.
    TgeekB, GG1, 21stNow and 1 others like this.
    12-28-13 08:11 PM
    You shouldn't need to download a file explorer, how does that even make sense. How can you make an operating system that isn't accountable for its files/directories?

Posted via CB10
    You shouldn't need to sideload apps from the outer reaches of the interwebs either.

I don't disagree with the point that a file manager should be stock. It should. But if we are talking about perceived insurmountable OS deficiencies...
    TgeekB and Davidro1 like this.
    12-28-13 08:15 PM
    Can I assume it's a third party app you're using? A lot of people don't like to give permissions for shared files to third parties. BlackBerry 10 offers this functionality out of the box, integrated with the entire OS.

It's not just about the question of "is there a file manager app available?" but also "where does it come from?".

Z on Channels
    Fair point.
    12-28-13 08:16 PM
    You're missing the point completely, can you please pay attention and read carefully through the thread.

Posted via CB10
    No, I believe you are missing the point completely. File managers are easily downloadable 3rd party apps.
    12-28-13 08:22 PM
    Android users have access to the best file managing apps in the business. The one I use has built in functionality with Dropbox, Box, GDrive etc.
    And probably, you will not be able to use them, unless you rooted the device.
    12-28-13 08:36 PM
    And probably, you will not be able to use them, unless you rooted the device.
    Yes, if you want to manage the /system. You will need root for that. Third party apps and files you put on there will not require root. I have only ever needed root access if I am messing with the /system.
    21stNow and TgeekB like this.
    12-28-13 08:38 PM
    Yes, if you want to manage the /system. You will need root for that. Third party apps and files you put on there will not require root. I have only ever needed root access if I am messing with the /system.
    Correct.
    12-28-13 08:49 PM
    Being a previous android user (s3, s4, Nexus 7) I wasn't quite impressed with it. It seemed like a sloppy os, with a lot of disorganization (constantly being asked what app you want to use to complete simple tasks like opening pdfs etc). Also my biggest annoyance was the lack of file managing -It's a disaster at most.
    ::Shaking my head vigorously::

There are even better file managers here (depending on what you need):
    https://play.google.com/store/search...manager&c=apps
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-28-13 08:57 PM
    File management does not exist on an Android device. Even my son with his Note3 was complaining about how atrocious it was!
    Neither do twitter, instagram, skype, netflix, etc. apps.
    12-28-13 08:58 PM
    Defaults are useless, since it asks again anyway and since you have more then one app that does the function no one wants to isolate said task to one app. It would make downloading all those 'productivity' apps on android useless since you would only need one app. I even had android trying to open pdf files and power point files using the super nintendo emulator even though I had quick office and adobe installed. This isn't user error, this is a cluster fcuk os trying to do too much.

Windows 95 > Android

Posted via CB10
    Damn, how do those people use alternative launchers if defaults are useless. Must be fun to select a launcher very time you navigate the phone
    12-28-13 09:05 PM
    This thread has become a case of mine is better than yours...it has been an interesting topic, what is the topic again, I forgot... oh ya File Manager. I say yes to a built in File Manager.
    Now, pay attention to all the people who say "yes" to a built-in File Manager. They are the same people who also say "yes" to a unsupported third-party app stores offering apps that were not even designed to run on their devices in the first place.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    12-28-13 09:15 PM
    Where is it?
    Posted via CB10
    The Operating System does not need a file manager app to manage itself. It does that in the background. The file manager app is for the users. Your statement was "any logical operating system must be able to manage itself." Keyword phrase is "manage Itself" meaning the Operating System itself needing an app to manage its own files.

I'm not disputing the fact Android does not include their own file manager app for the users to interact with the Android file system. Doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm also quoting you...
    Apple actually doesn't allow you to mess with the file managing system, it's there you just can't touch it. Which is still better than android not having one at all. Unless you jailbreak (which many many people do - goes to show you that file access is important)
    You acknowledged the presence of a file system inside iOS even though you can't access it, but then turn around and claiming Android does not have a file system at all because they didn't include any means of accessing it. I'd like to know your logic behind that statement.
    21stNow likes this.
    12-28-13 09:19 PM
    Op is ridiculous. Intents (which is the process of determining which app is best suited for the task by the user) is a phenomenal feature of the android os. Also how in the world can anyone in this thread complain about not having a native file manager when there are so many extremely robust file managers in Google play? Its almost like this thread was made to simply try to point out something that is a complete non issue on android for bragging rights in the most pathetic manner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    MERCDROID, bekkay, 21stNow and 2 others like this.
    12-28-13 09:20 PM
    OR any application with "root" in the application name. File Managers or otherwise. But that might not be obvious enough?
    12-28-13 09:31 PM
    I didn't finish reading all the through this thread, so if these were covered already - oh well, suffer and read them again. I hadn't read they were addressed by this point.

1. Leaks are not third party software. Anybody installing a leak is installing a BlackBerry signed operating system.

2. There's a lot of suggestions ON BOTH SIDES of the argument that if something isn't included all someone needs to do is do some looking around and download/install a solution, and then calling out the other about doing the exact same thing.
    Example in this thread: Android backers suggesting that if the native Android file manager isn't working for a user, that user should hunt one down from Google Play. But, they then turn and scoff at downloading a leak to improve something.

3. Anyone suggesting that BlackBerry is "the only true multitasking OS". It's not. You haven't seen split screen on an Android device if you hold that to be true.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay and Mecca EL like this.
    12-28-13 09:36 PM
    Yeah BlackBerry got the native file manager pretty "right" in my opinion.

But it's not a selling point to the average cell phone buyer.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1259
    Davidro1 and m1kr0 like this.
    12-28-13 09:39 PM
    Op is ridiculous. Intents (which is the process of determining which app is best suited for the task by the user) is a phenomenal feature of the android os. Also how in the world can anyone in this thread complain about not having a native file manager when there are so many extremely robust file managers in Google play? Its almost like this thread was made to simply try to point out something that is a complete non issue on android for bragging rights in the most pathetic manner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    It's always a non issue when your platform is the target of scrutiny.

That being said I think most of you got side tracked, yes I know android can manage it self (processes, running apps etc) but that's not what this is about.

READ THIS
    Android lacks a built in ability to allow a user to explore the directories of the system. For example you can't navigate through the operating systems directories where all your information is stored without downloading a third party app such as es File explorer.

^^^^^

Not hard to read!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:42 PM
    I can't make out any of the text...

But, if this is true, then that's awesome!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    It's been done for over a month. I've only loaded 10.2.1 just recently.
    Androids file manager is reason enough for people to switch to Blackberry.-img_20131228_224753.png

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Mecca EL and MERCDROID like this.
    12-28-13 09:49 PM
586 ... 89101112 ...