Defaults are useless, since it asks again anyway and since you have more then one app that does the function no one wants to isolate said task to one app. It would make downloading all those 'productivity' apps on android useless since you would only need one app. I even had android trying to open pdf files and power point files using the super nintendo emulator even though I had quick office and adobe installed. This isn't user error, this is a cluster fcuk os trying to do too much.

Windows 95 > Android

Posted via CB10
    No, you set a default and the reoccurrence of that specific task is performed without any further dialog boxes popping up.

This only changes if you install another app that can perform that task.

Example: I set Chrome as my default Web browser. Then, I go to the Play Store and download Opera. I go to my Gmail and click a link. I will get a dialog box asking me which browser to use, because I added another option to perform a specific task.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    12-28-13 01:32 PM
    No, you set a default and the reoccurrence of that specific task is performed without any further dialog boxes popping up.

Example: I set Chrome as my default Web browser. Then, I go to the Play Store and download Opera. I go to my Gmail and click a link. I will get a dialog box asking me which browser to use, because I added another option to perform a specific task.

And that's the beauty when you have a choice.

110 million devices sold between just Apple and Samsung just last quarter says file management is not on the top of the radar.

Else people would be buying BB10s.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-28-13 at 02:18 PM.
    MERCDROID, 21stNow, Saiga and 3 others like this.
    12-28-13 01:41 PM

That's extremely silly if you ask me, as the average user (I did this aswell) downloads apps for the purpose of just downloading apps out of sheer boredom. These default settings change constantly which is why nothing knows where any file is.

More importantly, when you actually do download es file explorer you end up finding all sorts of dead directories created by apps that you may or may not have anymore.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    12-28-13 01:42 PM

110 million devices sold between just Apple and Samsung just last quarter says file management is not on the top of he radar.

So? I bought a android and apple device then I sold them both. I then bought a android tablet, then I sold it. You can derive no factual information from my actions.

Apple actually doesn't allow you to mess with the file managing system, it's there you just can't touch it. Which is still better than android not having one at all. Unless you jailbreak (which many many people do - goes to show you that file access is important)

Apps on apples system store files in their directories which you access through opening apps such as adobe pdf reader. Android tries to use this method but because it's linux and let's you see/organize directories using a third part app such as es file explorer it creates problems for its self because it doesn't know what you want to do.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and jasonvan9 like this.
    12-28-13 01:48 PM
    you do realize this is a comparison thread started by the OP, correct?

maybe you missed that in between your disturbing bouts of belly busting laughter
    Good point. And the OP of the thread makes a foolish assumption that people buy mobile devices for file managers.
    bbq10l, 21stNow, shief24 and 2 others like this.
    12-28-13 01:48 PM
    Good point. And the OP of the thread makes a foolish assumption that people buy mobile devices for file managers.
    I never said all people, I said some might and that a file manager in android is non-existent. No reason to get upset.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:50 PM
    So? I bought a android and apple device then I sold them both. I then bought a android tablet, then I sold it. You can derive no factual information from my actions.

Apple actually doesn't allow you to mess with the file managing system, it's there you just can't touch it. Which is still better than android not having one at all. Unless you jailbreak (which many many people do - goes to show you that file access is important)

Apps on apples system store files in their directories which you access through opening apps such as adobe pdf reader. Android tries to use this method but because it's linux and let's you see/organize directories using a third part app such as es file explorer it creates problems for its self because it doesn't know what you want to do.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. File manager is a big deal. That's why people buy BB10 devices and they are doing so well. File managers are a big selling point for the public.

I stand corrected.
    MERCDROID, Acidwire, Saiga and 5 others like this.
    12-28-13 01:53 PM
    I never said all people, I said some might and that a file manager in android is non-existent. No reason to get upset.
    Androids file manager is reason enough for people to switch to Blackberry.
    You never quantified a number, nor mentioned "some".
    Neither did I.

I never said you said "all people". That's something you read in on your own.

No need to attempt to read my feelings, you're not qualified.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    12-28-13 01:57 PM
    That's extremely silly if you ask me, as the average user (I did this aswell) downloads apps for the purpose of just downloading apps out of sheer boredom. These default settings change constantly which is why nothing knows where any file is.

More importantly, when you actually do download es file explorer you end up finding all sorts of dead directories created by apps that you may or may not have anymore.

Posted via CB10
    I regularly try out new apps, but I never change my defaults until I'm sure I'd prefer to use the new vs the current. Never have things getting lost either. Might be a helpful hint if you run across that problem in the future.
    pantlesspenguin and MERCDROID like this.
    12-28-13 01:59 PM
    Android users have access to the best file managing apps in the business. The one I use has built in functionality with Dropbox, Box, GDrive etc.
    Thats the problem with android... the OS sucks, to make it worth anything, you have to download everything, you need app for everything so that it becomes half decent.... but in the end, the experience isnt unified, is a clear fragmentation in jumping between apps and widgets and all that crap....

Not to mention that not everybody wants to read the "the android bible" to know what they need, some people just want a phone that works right out of the box
    12-28-13 02:12 PM
    Thats the problem with android... the OS sucks, to make it worth anything, you have to download everything, you need app for everything so that it becomes half decent.... but in the end, the experience isnt unified, is a clear fragmentation in jumping between apps and widgets and all that crap....

Not to mention that not everybody wants to read the "the android bible" to know what they need, some people just want a phone that works right out of the box
    In my humble opinion, Android has gotten to a point where it works out of the box. Though, stock Android devices still lack a native file manager (I can't speak for Samsung or HTC).

I'm not sure, how having the option to download apps and use their associated widgets is a bad thing.

And, what's not unified about it? That's an honest question, because I'm not sure of what you're referring to.

21stNow likes this.
    12-28-13 02:18 PM

Totally agree!! I had a SGS2 and Note 2 loved the phones but eventually it was just too much work! Plus quality issues with batteries etc.

Having said that file managing was never an issue. I still own a samsung note tablet and use it for movies and gaming.

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1055
    12-28-13 02:20 PM

Not true at all. However you basically described the os10 experience to a T. You knowdownloading os's, sideloading apps, spin around 3 times then press the power button etc etc etc. I'll take downloading a file explorer over the solutions BB users have to go through in order to get a decent experience any day.

12-28-13 02:26 PM
    I use the file manager within BB10 quite a bit, to organize my pictures mostly, very easy to use. I don't have much experience with Android, but I feel such functionality is a must within a OS.

Posted using my beloved Z30
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    12-28-13 02:30 PM
    Not true at all. However you basically described the os10 experience to a T. You knowdownloading os's, sideloading apps, spin around 3 times then press the power button etc etc etc. I'll take downloading a file explorer over the solutions BB users have to go through in order to get a decent experience any day.

You shouldn't need to download a file explorer, how does that even make sense. How can you make an operating system that isn't accountable for its files/directories?

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and CerveloJohn like this.
    12-28-13 02:31 PM
    Android users have access to the best file managing apps in the business. The one I use has built in functionality with Dropbox, Box, GDrive etc.
    Can I assume it's a third party app you're using? A lot of people don't like to give permissions for shared files to third parties. BlackBerry 10 offers this functionality out of the box, integrated with the entire OS.

It's not just about the question of "is there a file manager app available?" but also "where does it come from?".

Z on Channels
    12-28-13 02:32 PM
    I doubt if a file manager ranks in the top 50 reasons why people buy a phone.

I've had an Android for years, downloaded a file manager, does the, job end of...
    12-28-13 02:34 PM
    You shouldn't need to download a file explorer, how does that even make sense. How can you make an operating system that isn't accountable for its files/directories?

Posted via CB10
    So, you'd rather have to sideload leaked OS's and apps than download a file explorer?

If a file explorer is such a big deal, why do the millions of iOS users not care about it?

Drew808, mornhavon and cckgz4 like this.
    12-28-13 02:36 PM

I have a decent experience and I do not sideload anything. I found everything I need, including some music, from BBW. Dont even know what "spin around 3 times then press the power button" even means.

Don't paint with a broad brush.
    CerveloJohn and OWCA83 like this.
    12-28-13 02:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that it's a non issue (for most people) for people considering they have multiple options.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-28-13 02:38 PM

110 million devices sold between just Apple and Samsung just last quarter says file management is not on the top of the radar.

There are some who care a lot for a built in file manager. This has nothing to do with the sales. It's funny how sales numbers are often used in here to avoid an argument. When something important is missing, it's missing. Despite sales numbers.

Z on Channels
    SDTRMG and thisiscjay like this.
    12-28-13 02:39 PM
    Gotcha. I don't think that's enough for users to switch, especially considering they have multiple solutions to the problem.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    I believe you're missing the point...

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 02:40 PM
    I have a decent experience and I do not sideload anything. I found everything I need, including some music, from BBW.
    That's great. I never said that it was impossible to have a great experience using bb10, however judging by the all of the "install______leak, or sideload this app" threads many bb10 users are not satisfied with the out of the box bb10 experience. If you don't want to use cb as your measuring stick feel free to use Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and the other BB forum.

Kris Simundson likes this.
    12-28-13 02:47 PM
    I believe you're missing the point...

Posted via CB10
    Feel free to elaborate.

12-28-13 02:48 PM
    I doubt if a file manager ranks in the top 50 reasons why people buy a phone.

I've had an Android for years, downloaded a file manager, does the, job end of...
    People don't just consider a phone a phone but a handsize computer(smartphone) and a computer has a file manager and does not need a App to do that. This is why people consider a OS should have it built-in and not have to download a 3rd party App.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 02:49 PM
586 1234 ...