A co-worker recently told me about his phone upgrade, he purchased a iphone but didn't like it and was wondering what to buy between a s4 and a HTC one. He saw my q10 and picked it up and thought it looked good but slightly small (guys a engineer with bigger hands). So I told him that all the platforms were good and it just depended what was important to him.

Being a previous android user (s3, s4, Nexus 7) I wasn't quite impressed with it. It seemed like a sloppy os, with a lot of disorganization (constantly being asked what app you want to use to complete simple tasks like opening pdfs etc). Also my biggest annoyance was the lack of file managing -It's a disaster at most.

I asked if he had tried the z30, since it's the same size as a s4. I showed the hub, the pdf file reader, browser, print to go, SMS, bbm and several other apps of interest. I showed the integration between drop box, box and file manager and showed how easy it was to complete simple tasks. And he liked everything, but wasn't really sold on it.

I brought in my nexus 7, (I use a surface RT now) so that I could show him the mess which android is. He agreed that the UI on the q10 was much cleaner, neater and much more organized (basically there weren't a bunch of sub directories created by random apps which want permissions to use/edit/store file types) so you always know where your pdf files are.

The guy bought a z30, and enjoys it a lot - after seeing the z30 my self I'm really impressed with the build quality it really brings os 10 to another level with that huge screen.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 12-28-13 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Language
    12-28-13 11:20 AM
    At first by seeing the review and pictures of the Z30 I didn't really care about the device but you really need to try it out to be able to appreciate it.

If you have a Z10 and can find a good discount on the Z30, I recommend it to everyone to do the switch.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 11:26 AM
    File management does not exist on an Android device. Even my son with his Note3 was complaining about how atrocious it was!

You make a very valid point OP!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    12-28-13 12:05 PM
    In Windows phone the scenario is more pathetic.

The 'file manager' doesn't recognise anything except media files.

And one can't attach multiple documents in email because of that!

CB10 @ Q5
    12-28-13 12:14 PM
    Android users have access to the best file managing apps in the business. The one I use has built in functionality with Dropbox, Box, GDrive etc.
    12-28-13 12:38 PM
    I don't have a problem with the file manager. What exactly don't/didn't you like op?

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    12-28-13 12:41 PM
    I don't have a problem with the file manager. What exactly don't/didn't you like op?

The fact that there isn't a file manager.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 12:43 PM
    Android users have access to the best file managing apps in the business. The one I use has built in functionality with Dropbox, Box, GDrive etc.
    File managing apps and built in file manager are world's apart. The few apps I downloaded to 'file manage' were free, loaded with adds, clunky UI and made the whole process seem more gimmicky than it should be. File managing/exploring should be owned by the OS and not an external application.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 12:45 PM
    The fact that there isn't a file manager.

Posted via CB10
    Dropbox, box, drive, es file explorer?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Donvald, MERCDROID and Premium1 like this.
    12-28-13 12:45 PM
    File managing apps and built in file manager are world's apart. The few apps I downloaded to 'file manage' were free, loaded with adds, clunky UI and made the whole process seem more gimmicky than it should be. File managing/exploring should be owned by the OS and not an external application.

Posted via CB10
    For most users, distinctions such as this are moot especially if the app seamlessly integrates with the OS.

I wouldn't ding BB10 for not having a CB10 built in for instance. I can get it, and it works well.
    21stNow, Acidwire and bekkay like this.
    12-28-13 12:53 PM
    Dropbox, box, drive, es file explorer?

Yes, but those aren't native I used es file explorer and that was the example I used on the nexus 7 tablet to show him. On the blackberry I just went to file manager and it was pretty straight forward. The OS should manage files, directories, etc for various good reasons. This was one of the main reasons I ditched android.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 12:53 PM
    For most users, distinctions such as this are moot especially if the app seamlessly integrates with the OS.

I wouldn't ding BB10 for not having a CB10 built in for instance. I can get it, and it works well.
    A forums app is not the same thing as managing the file directory of the whole operating system.

Moot or not, that's quite a difference. The more you use android the more you realize over time how unorganized the file storage system is.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zten; 12-29-13 at 09:56 AM.
    12-28-13 12:54 PM
    Yes, but those aren't native I used es file explorer and that was the example I used on the nexus 7 tablet to show him. On the blackberry I just went to file manager and it was pretty straight forward. The OS should manage files, directories, etc for various good reasons. This was one of the main reasons I ditched android.

Posted via CB10
    Gotcha. I don't think that's enough for users to switch, especially considering they have multiple solutions to the problem.

12-28-13 12:58 PM
    A forums app is not the same thing as managing the file directory of the whole operating system.

Moot or not, that's quite a difference. The more you use android the more you realize over time how cluster fcuk the file storage system is.

Posted via CB10
    Fair point, but I'd be more concerned with an inability to do this (like on WP8, to my knowledge).
    12-28-13 12:58 PM
    A co-worker recently told me about his phone upgrade, he purchased a iphone but didn't like it and was wondering what to buy between a s4 and a HTC one. He saw my q10 and picked it up and thought it looked good but slightly small (guys a engineer with bigger hands). So I told him that all the platforms were good and it just depended what was important to him.

Being a previous android user (s3, s4, Nexus 7) I wasn't quite impressed with it. It seemed like a sloppy os, with a lot of disorganization (constantly being asked what app you want to use to complete simple tasks like opening pdfs etc). Also my biggest annoyance was the lack of file managing -It's a disaster at most.

I asked if he had tried the z30, since it's the same size as a s4. I showed the hub, the pdf file reader, browser, print to go, SMS, bbm and several other apps of interest. I showed the integration between drop box, box and file manager and showed how easy it was to complete simple tasks. And he liked everything, but wasn't really sold on it.

I brought in my nexus 7, (I use a surface RT now) so that I could show him the cluster fcuk which android is. He agreed that the UI on the q10 was much cleaner, neater and much more organized (basically there weren't a bunch of sub directories created by random apps which want permissions to use/edit/store file types) so you always know where your pdf files are.

The guy bought a z30, and enjoys it a lot - after seeing the z30 my self I'm really impressed with the build quality it really brings os 10 to another level with that huge screen.

Posted via CB10
    This is a classic example of user error.
    12-28-13 01:00 PM
    Fair point, but I'd be more concerned with an inability to do this (like on WP8, to my knowledge).
    I haven't used WP8 yet although I'm developing apps for it strangely. I do use a surface rt and it's just like regular windows so managing files is done using folders and directories.

He never said he was looking at windows 8, only android which is why I showed him the android OS.

I'll have to check out windows phone 8.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:01 PM
    This is a classic example of user error.
    This is a classic example of denial.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:03 PM
    I haven't used WP8 yet although I'm developing apps for it strangely. I do use a surface rt and it's just like regular windows so managing files is done using folders and directories.

He never said he was looking at windows 8, only android which is why I showed him the android OS.

I'll have to check out windows phone 8.

If he was choosing between windows 8 and android that would be his own choice since I only know android.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:04 PM
    This is a classic example of denial.

Posted via CB10
    1) Apps defaults can be set in android, once you set an app as the default one it does not ask you again.

2.) No need to use file subdirectories to open a pdf. Open the adobe app (or whatever pdf app you have chosen as your default) and select. Simple. This isn't windows 95.
    12-28-13 01:11 PM
    1) Apps defaults can be set in android, once you set an app as the default one it does not ask you again.

2.) No need to use file subdirectories to open a pdf. Open the adobe app (or whatever pdf app you have chosen as your default) and select. Simple. This isn't windows 95.
    Defaults are useless, since it asks again anyway and since you have more then one app that does the function no one wants to isolate said task to one app. It would make downloading all those 'productivity' apps on android useless since you would only need one app. I even had android trying to open pdf files and power point files using the super nintendo emulator even though I had quick office and adobe installed. This isn't user error, this is a disasterous os trying to do too much.

Windows 95 > Android

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zten; 12-29-13 at 09:56 AM.
    12-28-13 01:16 PM

I brought in my nexus 7, (I use a surface RT now) so that I could show him the cluster fcuk which android is. He agreed that the UI on the q10 was much cleaner, neater and much more organized (basically there weren't a bunch of sub directories created by random apps which want permissions to use/edit/store file types) so you always know where your pdf files are.

Posted via CB10
    He should have gone with the note 3.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    waker likes this.
    12-28-13 01:22 PM

Lol, and you're sure you're not being paid by Samsung? :sly:

Mecca EL and sk8er_tor like this.
    12-28-13 01:26 PM

We're engineers (electrical and we climb towers) and I think that would be too bulky, I think his phone clips to the pants and he specifically was looking for something 4.5-5 inches (without protective casing).

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:26 PM
    Defaults are useless, since it asks again anyway and since you have more then one app that does the function no one wants to isolate said task to one app. It would make downloading all those 'productivity' apps on android useless since you would only need one app. I even had android trying to open pdf files and power point files using the super nintendo emulator even though I had quick office and adobe installed. This isn't user error, this is a cluster fcuk os trying to do too much.

Windows 95 > Android

Posted via CB10
    That's never been my experience. Once I had Quick Office (most recent) set as default I never get asked again, unless I add a new compatible app, and that just takes an extra tap to set the default. After a few days of having a new phone, I very rarely see that dialog. And having multiple productivity apps is fine, as some will invariably be better than others at different things.

I do, however, think the file manager should be built in, but I won't complain too much with excellent methods available to do so.
    12-28-13 01:28 PM
    Always cracks me up when the "Samboys" have to show up to a thread to defend the inadequacies of their device.

*rotfl* *rotfl* *rotfl*

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    bradu1, RedFoxOne and sk8er_tor like this.
    12-28-13 01:31 PM
586 123 ...