Well, i just want the updated ART for the apps. Jolla can develop their own mobile services with funding from Huawei.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Lack of Google Play Services is by far the biggest impediment to app compatibility - not the lack of Kitkat.
    09-26-16 10:57 AM
    Is an OS used by less than half a percent of smartphone users actually more secure or is it just that no one bothers to aim at such a small target?
    09-26-16 11:00 AM
    Lack of Google Play Services is by far the biggest impediment to app compatibility - not the lack of Kitkat.
    How come the Chinese run their apps without having GMS ?

09-26-16 11:01 AM

I suspect many Chinese devices can load GMS straight up without issue. BlackBerry could never do that, lest they be sued.
    09-26-16 11:05 AM

It appears that OEMs and major companies (Baidu, Tencent, Xiaomi, etc.) all have their own app stores: https://www.techinasia.com/10-androi...a-2014-edition
    09-26-16 11:07 AM
    Well, i mean 1 can install GMS post sale alright. But r the Chinese phones sold with GMS out of the box ?

EDIT - either way Huawei & Xaiomi r growing fast enuff to secure funding for development of a GMS alternative.

09-26-16 11:13 AM
    I suspect many Chinese devices can load GMS straight up without issue. BlackBerry could never do that, lest they be sued.
    The passport 2 comment was just an off hand example, Conite.
    I was basically talking in the context of Sailfish getting an ART.
    Bb r doing d best to come up with Android N, as thats the largest market and they need sales NOW.

09-26-16 11:30 AM
    I doubt Blackberry Android is as secure BB10 for these 3 reasons (2 of those are the reasons why Android also has some advantages in other aspects):

-BB10 was built from the ground up to be a secure OS, I don't think Android had that priority when it was developed
    -BB10 isn't open source, Android is. Open source has lots of advantages, but security might not be one for obvious reasons
    -BB10 is WAY LESS popular, so there's a lot less knolodge, and a lot less interest in hacking a OS that "nobody" uses. That's why Windows has lots of virus, and Linux doesn't, is not that windows is less protected, is that "nobody" cares to hack linux
    09-26-16 12:22 PM
    Open source or not has never been a valid argument.

Just look at MS Windows. That's never been open source. Just how secure has that made it after all these years?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 01:01 PM
    -BB10 isn't open source, Android is. Open source has lots of advantages, but security might not be one for obvious reasons
    -BB10 is WAY LESS popular, so there's a lot less knolodge, and a lot less interest in hacking a OS that "nobody" uses. That's why Windows has lots of virus, and Linux doesn't, is not that windows is less protected, is that "nobody" cares to hack linux
    While it might be advantageous to have the source code unavailable, I don't think this really counts as security.
    09-26-16 01:13 PM
    Perception, as v know is as tricky a word as statistics is a subject.

Apple just announced a security flaw in iOS 10. Prior to this some security experts were of the opinion that iPhone 6 plus was the most secure phone.
    So security can b relative to time.
    As u point out in 1 & 2, the moment v use a connection v r being exposed to a threat. A rational analysis wud first demand a qualitative approach. This in terms that a "shady" / important person is at a higher risk of that threat being exploited than a "non-shady" person is.
    About the validity of the Nexus / iOs being unsecured. Even though i am no security expert, i feel any Os matures with time. So such feelings as Android 'steeling data' might hav been valid to some extent when it was running G / H / I, now, i hav read, with N it is said to b as secure as Bb10 (on bb Android N). Still, as i hav posted above it may take some more, maybe O - P - Q, for this to fully sink in.
    About Nexus devices / bb Android being secure, the ceo of this new Canadian security company Copperhead, says that the Nexus r as secure as the Priv. He also sells the Copperhead Os that can b installed on a Nexus, and security levels can b 'adjusted' using an onscreen slider switch. I assume that with security settings at full level, the phone wud b as useful as a nokia 1100.

https://copperhead.co/android/

There is no doubt that from the time BlackBerry finally realized that BBOS would not carry them into the newer generations of smartphones... that both iOS and Android have matured. It's doubtful that if BlackBerry had gone Android back in 2010, that they could have done it without totally locking down the phone and making in "non-Google". But today with a more mature Android and one that has already seen some focus on security.... that is different.

But too with time and no development, if becomes clear that an OS doesn't stay secure. BBOS has many vulnerabilities.. manybe not to the core OS, but to other components that make up the complete OS.... with BBOS it is mainly browser security flaws that have been found. Same will be true of BB10 eventually... someone will find a flaw in the ART or the Browser, or some 3rd party process and we won't find out till months or years later..

True security in the digital age... means having a system that is being tested for flaws and then corrected. Just because not many "whitehat" types are testing BB10 and announcing it's vulnerabilities... doesn't mean the "blackhat" types are not finding any. Only ones we really know about were some common vulnerabilities that affected most all OS.... and BlackBerry was quick to patch those. Will they patch the next one?
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-26-16 01:23 PM
    I doubt Blackberry Android is as secure BB10 for these 3 reasons (2 of those are the reasons why Android also has some advantages in other aspects):

-BB10 was built from the ground up to be a secure OS, I don't think Android had that priority when it was developed
    1. Yes, BB10 was build to be secure, but Google has had more time and certainly more money to help secure Android
    2 and 3. Linux runs on most servers and supercomputers around the world. And it is considered secure. Hacking a server is much more lucrative than hacking a random windows machine. The open source (or not) nature of the code has very little impact on the secureness of the code.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-26-16 01:54 PM
    1. Yes, BB10 was build to be secure, but Google has had more time and certainly more money to help secure Android
    1. Go tell that to the University of canbridge that a few months ago made a study concluding that 87% of Android Smartphones are "unsecure"

2 and 3. As person that actually buys servers and know's lots of people that buy servers, I just let you know that the big majority of people buy Linus over Windows servers because of the lower cost, because most of them are just running very basic software that has to be run 24/7. Even server versions of Linus are free.

But since pretty much every server runs on Virtual machines, wich is a very strong layer of protection, this argument becomes irrelevant for this thread, the smartphone thread.

A closed source code is (potentialy) MORE secure. Yes the code itself might not be more secure, it's just language, but the fact that is not publicly available makes it more secure. Once you can "crack" and learn the closed source code it's no more secure because it becomes "open source" to you. This has been debated to death
    09-26-16 05:23 PM
    1.4 Billion people in China seem to get along without GPservices quite well. They use Baidu and other app stores. My wife and I use Baidu map when we go there. We get along just fine.
    09-26-16 05:31 PM
    Is an OS used by less than half a percent of smartphone users actually more secure or is it just that no one bothers to aim at such a small target?
    It is those .5% targets that have much more important things to keep safe and secure than some dimwit's fappening photos.
    09-26-16 06:05 PM
    It is those .5% targets that have much more important things to keep safe and secure than some dimwit's fappening photos.
    lol as if CEO's and other vip actually still use BBs in great numbers.

only in crackberry
    09-26-16 07:13 PM
    Google Play Services is blocked there. You can load it, but all it does is drain your battery. Hence for devices sold in China it's preferred NOT to have PS.
    09-26-16 07:52 PM
    1.4 Billion people in China seem to get along without GPservices quite well. They use Baidu and other app stores. My wife and I use Baidu map when we go there. We get along just fine.
    That's because Baidu is a different ecosystem altogether and is essentially a Play Service replacement built in.
    09-26-16 07:53 PM
    lol as if CEO's and other vip actually still use BBs in great numbers.

only in crackberry
    Lol. Can you think of another segment?
    09-26-16 08:39 PM
    That's because Baidu is a different ecosystem altogether and is essentially a Play Service replacement built in.
    Yes it is.
    09-26-16 09:32 PM
    Since there is no OS named "Blandroid", the title has been changed to the proper name, "Android". BlackBerry has become Android, and it has a proper name. I'd change the title if someone posted BlackBerry as BlahBerry, or DeadBerry.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    09-27-16 12:11 AM
    That is exactly what i was talking about. If the Sailfish os gets an updated ART & a GP / GMS alternative designed by baidu/ Huawei/ Xaiomi/ Yandex then its going to be the best bb10 replacement, as it is also gesture based & behaves a lot like bb10 (from some bb10 users' comments after using the intex Aqua Fish).
    Jolla is trying to get the that done in the BRICS nations. But i doubt that the Western world wud b interested in using a play services alternative designed in Asia. Check out the YunOs on YouTube.
    I hav bought a cheap Tizen phone, the Samsung z2. It has Here maps & tizen store. It works fine with Mapping/ cab apps.

On second thoughts, turing robotics is a San Francisco based company. They r security focused and use Sailfish. Maybe with an ART and a GP alternative, turing becomes the new BB.

Last edited by blackmass; 09-27-16 at 03:02 AM.
    09-27-16 01:12 AM
    At one point I seem to remember Mr. Chen was interviewed about the possibility of a Blandroid device. His answer was that BB would NOT release a Blandroid until it was at least as secure as BBOS and BB10.

My question: was the PRIV, or now, as secure as BB0S or BB10? Or is Blandroid more secure, perhaps? Or, in reality less secure?

To clear, this question is not to stir the waters.
    JC also said " although we injected a pin in every phone but its Android I can't guarantee you anything"

Posted via Priv
    09-27-16 02:46 AM
    That is exactly what i was talking about. If the Sailfish os gets an updated ART & a GP / GMS alternative designed by baidu/ Huawei/ Xaiomi/ Yandex then its going to be the best bb10 replacement, as it is also gesture based & behaves a lot like bb10 (from some bb10 users' comments after using the intex Aqua Fish).
    Jolla is trying to get the that done in the BRICS nations. But i doubt that the Western world wud b interested in using a play services alternative designed in Asia. Check out the YunOs on YouTube.
    I hav bought a cheap Tizen phone, the Samsung z2. It has Here maps & tizen store. It works fine with Mapping/ cab apps.

On second thoughts, turing robotics is a San Francisco based company. They r security focused and use Sailfish. Maybe with an ART and a GP alternative, turing becomes the new BB.

I find it funny that everyone complains about Android "privacy issues with Google", yet suggests Baidu or Yandex as an alternative.

And I sure hope BlackBerry isn't following Turing's footsteps... so far that company is just full of empty promises and vapourware.
    09-27-16 06:43 AM
    That is exactly what i was talking about. If the Sailfish os gets an updated ART & a GP / GMS alternative designed by baidu/ Huawei/ Xaiomi/ Yandex then its going to be the best bb10 replacement,
    The biggeat problem with Sailfish (and for that matter Ubuntu phone) is that you still can't get a device compatible wuth North American 4GLTE frequencies...and the handsets that allow you to roll your own aren't 4G devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 06:52 AM
58 123