Does anyone care about it now?

Posted via CB10
    I can't answer that, as I don't consider myself a representative of the general public. To be honest though, hub+ services are being downloaded onto non-bb devices, so it seems like people do actually care. Let's wait awhile for the general population to learn of its existence more, and keep a watch of bb's earnings calls to see how effective or not this new subscription service really is.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:43 AM
    Was moving to Android the right decision?
    I'd say "yes" and "no".

I mean Android operates over 75% of all mobile devices (smartphones & tablets) world wide - there is a minimum to zero chance that BlackBerry 10 could change that anytime soon.
    So, I think it was the right decision to jump in that pool and bring some fresh wind & innovations to that platform.
    Especially security & privacy is a big think with Android and a big chance for BlackBerry to bring some serious arguments to chose Android-Berry.

At the same time it was wrong what they did with OS10!
    Emotions aside and tinfoil ignored - I'm personally still convinced that BlackBerry is killing and making OS10 (consumer) unusable as possible -on purpose!
    And I think that includes relationships to developers and big brand app makers!

OS10 could be the crown to what they are able to do with Android!
    Especially there is no big G(oogle) between any actions, data, control and direction.
    I mean when they are that highly into IoT - what could be better to get everything out of one hand and being able to integrate everything seamlessly and next-level secure?
    Too much potential wasted.

Android-Berry could be the new entry for a new BlackBerry fanbase to switch fully to BlackBerry.
    But no updates, no big brand apps, no new devices won't make it happen.

And even giving the fact that Android-Berry and third tier phone makers will be the future - where is the marketing?!
    How is it possible that MediaMarkt makes the announcement for a totally unknown device before BlackBerry says anything!
    That's just ridiculous!
    How is this supposed to make any impact?
    All that is seen are specs and nothing about BlackBerry technology.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:58 AM
    If they are loosing less or making more money with Android devices, then it was the right call to go Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 09:58 AM
    Who was right? No one was, everyone was, is and Will be wrong, we, the fans had an utopic dream of blackberry suporting an OS that Just no sells and make loss, that is clearly the Best one (debatable, at least for me), if Chen (the one that everyone hates here) kept throwing Cash on the fire blackberry would entirely be out of business in 2013, if fans want that to happen, well if i were blackberry i would preferred to not have fans at all, it is sad for how many people blames blackberry for the Android path (wich also is wrong, but that is another whole point), Microsoft is the only one able to burn Cash in a unsuccesfull OS, and even them know than WP or W10M have its days counted, now with blackberry going Android, well they could have been sucesfull, but the priv was way to expensive, if something, an Android Passport could have been the Best bet, Just update the processor and the camera and you Will have two birds dead in one shot, you clean the old stock using it in a productive way, and you have a seller Phone in a cheap price, but well, the brand is already too damaged to try that, it wouldn't selled either, but going Android was the Last shot, accept it, BB10 was, is and Will be a failure..... if you were Chen what else what you have done?, nothing, Chen was right about his choices, he isnt able to travel in time and slap Thor in the face for being arrogant, because if there is someone to blame is him, make bb10 a rushed os with a overpriced Phone, that i bought at its time, it was a prodigious OS, but it was a pre-release prodigious OS, and people doesnt want that, plus the Z30 slap a few mothns later..... i could keep talking all the Day, but in fact everyone is wrong, the fans for wanting something totally imposible and Chen for Doing wrong the right thing (overpriced phone), blackberry had a great chance with priv, everyone was talking about it, all the media, etc, but the price was like shooting in the feet before start walking, i Will stil be using My London Z10 and Q10 until whatsapp EOL Android 4.3 (2020 probably) and by then i hope blackberry is fully recovered

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 08:55 PM
    Had they left with BB10, they would have NOTHING now.

By going to and developing for Android, they now have both a secure OS to licence, and an app suite to sell. This is new, recurring revenue.

This "head held high", and Google paranoia stuff is silly. If that bothers you then fine, but it clearly doesn't matter to 99% of the world. If hardware had instead died with BB10, your needs wouldn't have been met anyway.
    Well, more than 99.9% don't care about BlackBerry's android phones and android apps.

Chen has done his best to ruin privacy. He cannot "hold his head up high."
    He probably never had such moral standards.

That's not silly. It's shameful. Apple and Imessage and even facebook messenger, rightly or wrongly, are now considered more private than BBM.

It's all Chen's accomplishment how BlackBerry is perceived now in terms of security and privacy, and in terms of supporting his userbase and products.
    Last edited by sorinv; 10-20-16 at 09:59 PM.
    10-20-16 09:44 PM
    Well, more than 99.9% don't care about BlackBerry's android phones and android apps.
    But at least now BlackBerry has a successful business in enterprise software and they're finally getting rid of the BB10 anchor. The market is happy with direction of company as shown with recent share price of BBRY.
    10-20-16 09:49 PM
    Well, that's what I wrote. They should have exited a year before and let everyone know in advance, rather than ruin credibility in privacy, security and customer support.
    Switching to android phones only to quickly abandon those, too, in less than a year, does not inspire confidence and credibility, even for the software business.

We'll see how long that will last. Right now it's miniscule.
    10-20-16 10:03 PM
    Well, that's what I wrote. They should have exited a year before and let everyone know in advance, rather than ruin credibility in privacy, security and customer support.
    Switching to android phones only to quickly abandon those, too, in less than a year, does not inspire confidence and credibility, even for the software business.

We'll see how long that will last. Right now it's miniscule.
    But look at all the BB10 hardware they unloaded.... That's practically free money that was lost to write offs in 2013-2014.
    10-20-16 10:10 PM
    But look at all the BB10 hardware they unloaded.... That's practically free money that was lost to write offs in 2013-2014.
    They wrote it off in 2013 before Chen joined and then Chen sold it for cash.
    All the z10s that were written off in September 2013 were sold later in 2014 and 2015.
    They are sold out. Otherwise, you'd still be able to buy them on shopblackberry.
    10-20-16 10:24 PM
    They wrote it off in 2013 before Chen joined and then Chen sold it for cash.
    All the z10s that were written off in September 2013 were sold later. They are all sold out.
    Z10 wasn't the only write off. They've been using the same components in all the remaining devices after the Z10 as well except for Passport.
    10-20-16 10:26 PM
    They've been using the same components in all the remaining devices after the Z10 as well except for Passport.
    Yes. Which means they didn't throw anything away. They made money on them after they were written off.
    10-20-16 10:27 PM

It's all Chen's accomplishment how BlackBerry is perceived now in terms of security and privacy, and in terms of supporting his userbase and products.
    I believe the brand has not suffered at all with the advent of BlackBerry Android. It may have improved if anything. At a minimum, there are a lot of people happily using the app suite.

And again, they now have a potential revenue stream going forward instead of nothing at all.
    10-21-16 03:20 AM
    I am currently with in an hour drive to BlackBerry HQ. No Dtek's in the carrier stores. Only can find non working mock ups of the $299 Alcatel.
    10-21-16 07:46 AM
    What other choice is there? iOS? Obviously not. Apple doesn't license out. Window licenses out (albeit very strictly and rarely in an OEM's favor), but the Windows OS is suffering from the same ecosystem poblems as BB10, and there's no way in hell that Microsoft would license out their OS when it's going to be branded with a competitor's name. Not to mention, when hardware sales are already costing you money, the last thing you do when trying to make it profitable is to add yet another cost (licensing) into the mix.

So yes. Android really was the only option.
    Windows Phone is free for devices under 7"... iirc?
    So there wouldn't have been any cost, just restrictions and regulations to keep...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-21-16 05:44 PM
    Had they left with BB10, they would have NOTHING now.

By going to and developing for Android, they now have both a secure OS to licence, and an app suite to sell. This is new, recurring revenue.

This "head held high", and Google paranoia stuff is silly. If that bothers you then fine, but it clearly doesn't matter to 99% of the world. If hardware had instead died with BB10, your needs wouldn't have been met anyway.
    That "Google paranoia" stuff is fine right now, and will matter when it matters. Times could change... :-(

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-21-16 05:50 PM
140 ... 456