Yeah, I guess that "question" of mine is pretty much answered.
    The appeal of Blackberry phones is probably quite limited, with or without Android (which I guess is now demonstrated). My personal view is that at least with BB10 they had something different, rather than a "me too" with a slightly different flavor. Now they've got nothing.

KAM
    They also had a BB10 installed base that dwarfs their Priv/dtek sales that was starving for an upgrade. Yeah, it's not BBOS circa 2005 but it was not nothing. They should not have given up on such a great product.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 09:21 PM
    First, I am not assuming that shifting to a different OS was a must in the realm of possibility.
    That assumes that Ecosystem was the solution (different from saying not a problem). I think we see now, that alone wasn't a sufficient solution. They fixed the Ecosystem issues by going to Android...and it didn't matter in the end.

Just to CONSIDER, if there is any validity to the '50% of people don't download apps' thing--it seems POSSIBLE (even if difficult) to find SOME niche of customers that they could appeal to with a set of features and selection of popular apps. Just as a POSSIBILITY for purpose of discussion.

So, knowing that now, I am asking what led them to that. Again--it sounds like it really was a default and a shrug. Water under the bridge, but I think it does speak to the leadership, and should serve as a warning for what they're stating about future plans.
    Thank you. Yes, yes, there is a niche of people that could cope without many or even nearly all of the apps for a superior user experience and more productivity.

They presumed their problem was apps when no one knew BlackBerry still existed or had a maturing OS that is more elegant than the other options. Or had premium hardware in the Z30 and Passport.

Missing certain apps was an impediment, yes, but jumping off a battleship ship and getting into a little dinghy in the middle of a typhoon was too drastic. They should have tried to allow BB10 to grow a cult fanbase.

The shift to BB10 emulation in Android is just so convoluted. I can't even put it into words. Did Chen think he could sell to BB10 users who would be taking a step backwards in OS functionality or Android users that thought BlackBerry went out of business (and never heard any ads to tell them otherwise).

If Chen were a top tier CEO, he would have spent money on brand imaging ads right out of the gate.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 10:09 PM
    At the end of the day BlackBerry10 may still have a value.

The differences between using BlackBerry10 and Android to me seems the same between actually paying the mortgage of your home and renting a bigger one.

Posted via CB10
    If management does not believe this, there is no way they can ever sell the OS to the public. Looks like the powers that be want to emulate it in Android -- which sounds like it doesn't work well or well enough.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 11:35 PM
    The BB10 strategy did not work because 99% of users are satisfied with their OS. The OS is just a way to launch apps. That is the view.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-08-16 01:14 AM
    Correct. And you don't gain or keep customers by re-inventing the wheel...and a lopsided, ineffective one at that.

BlackBerry just axed the last thing that differentiated it from its device competitors. And no, it's not BB10.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-08-16 09:20 AM
    Going Android wasn't necessarily a bad business move. It was disappointing though that BB did not use thier software expertise to make Android their own, better OS.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 09:09 PM
    Going Android wasn't necessarily a bad business move. It was disappointing though that BB did not use thier software expertise to make Android their own, better OS.

Posted via CB10
    Bloated Launchers are never a good thing. Lean and mean is always better.
    murphcid likes this.
    10-08-16 09:46 PM
    Actually! Phone sales might be better if BB could turn Android into the most lean, mean operating machine that it could be.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 07:29 AM
    Have you used other Android devices? BlackBerry Android is already quite lean (close to stock) as it is in comparison to others.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    10-09-16 08:48 AM
    BlackBerry/RIM did what Sony did many years ago with Betamax, it was a schoolboy error, writing was on the wall just die hard fans didn't want to hear it...gained the consumer market then lost the consumer market to an app of all things, they're lucky it didn't take down the whole company.

BB10 was too little too late, they lost everyone who had a BlackBerry 9900 device when they were at the end of their contract looking to upgrade and there was no new BlackBerry to upgrade to...left the door wide open for the competition and once folks jump and realise they like the competition it's a hard sell luring them back...marketing can't help such fatal errors at boardroom level.

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1154
    10-09-16 06:09 PM
    BlackBerry/RIM did what Sony did many years ago with Betamax, it was a schoolboy error, writing was on the wall just die hard fans didn't want to hear it...gained the consumer market then lost the consumer market to an app of all things, they're lucky it didn't take down the whole company.

BB10 was too little too late, they lost everyone who had a BlackBerry 9900 device when they were at the end of their contract looking to upgrade and there was no new BlackBerry to upgrade to...left the door wide open for the competition and once folks jump and realise they like the competition it's a hard sell luring them back...marketing can't help such fatal errors at boardroom level.

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Most 9900's that were bought on a contract would have been purchased Sept 2011 to Sept 2012. Most would have been on three year terms.

It is true however that a 3.1 inch screen with no track pad and few apps is hardly better than a 2.8 inch screen with a track pad and few apps .
    10-09-16 08:28 PM
    I agree with the OP's view that Android path did not really have a great impact on the overall sales. But I think it is necessary to provide "oxygen" as the company is on "life support". I mean, the fastest way to grab consumer's attention is the availability of Apps and Android can provide that. The goal is to stabilize the finance so I think in Chen's mind, this is the safest route. What I think would be really interesting is this: What if Blackberry decides to ignore how Facebook/Whatsapp ditch their system and use all their resources to make BBM better and improve BB10. This, I think, is also another way to revive the company but it is not safe, because they have to make BBM to be the best IM client to win over the other 1 billion customers lol. In the end, I think Chen chooses not to be a risk taker.
    10-10-16 12:21 AM
    Again, I feel that had they stuck with BB10, the device business would be over already.

Even though sales weren't great with BlackBerry Android, they now have something to sell and licence (which they would not have had with BB10). BlackBerry's flavour of Android, along with the App Suite are potential revenue streams going forward.
    Bbnivende and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-10-16 12:42 AM
    Again, I feel that had they stuck with BB10, the device business would be over already.

Even though sales weren't great with BlackBerry Android, they now have something to sell and licence (which they would not have had with BB10). BlackBerry's flavour of Android, along with the App Suite are potential revenue streams going forward.
    All they had to do was release a new all touch BB10 device on the Passport chipset and some app promotion to keep some developers in. Probably much cheaper than this half baked android adventure.

Posted via CB10
    Asvertus likes this.
    10-10-16 01:41 AM
    All they had to do was release a new all touch BB10 device on the Passport chipset and some app promotion to keep some developers in. Probably much cheaper than this half baked android adventure.

Posted via CB10
    That strategy may have eeked out some more BB10 sales before its ultimate demise - slightly delaying the inevitable. In the meantime, BlackBerry would have had created nothing to peddle going forward.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG853 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG326 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    10-10-16 07:03 AM
    I am unlikely to purchase an rebadged cheaper Android phone . I would more likely buy a better quality Android phone and keep on using using the BlackBerry apps. I regret that BlackBerry will no longer be designing all touch phones.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-10-16 at 12:12 PM.
    10-10-16 11:28 AM
    In my opinion, going android was to have that transition from BB10 to android so that they can eventually showcase their software. Now that people have seen/reviewed BB's android phones WITH the software on it, they know how it works and have been able to form their opinions on it during their reviews. With many people reading these reviews and more coverage on the apps themselves, they released Hub+ on Google Play as a subscription-based offering.

I don't think anyone would have noticed nor cared about Hub+ if BB never incorporated their software into something people could try out or review.
    10-10-16 02:18 PM
    In my opinion, going android was to have that transition from BB10 to android so that they can eventually showcase their software. Now that people have seen/reviewed BB's android phones WITH the software on it, they know how it works and have been able to form their opinions on it during their reviews. With many people reading these reviews and more coverage on the apps themselves, they released Hub+ on Google Play as a subscription-based offering.

I don't think anyone would have noticed nor cared about Hub+ if BB never incorporated their software into something people could try out or review.
    Does anyone care about it now?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 11:49 PM
    That strategy may have eeked out some more BB10 sales before its ultimate demise - slightly delaying the inevitable. In the meantime, BlackBerry would have had created nothing to peddle going forward.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG853 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG326 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    Isn't hardware dead now?
    Are they selling android or android apps now more than they sold android phones?

If they had stuck with Bb10, at least they would have gone out of hardware with their head up high, without having to sell their users to Google and antagonizing their userbase, none of whom asked for android.
    Those who wanted android had many other choices and had already left.
    10-19-16 12:27 AM
    You did not notice but BlackBerry has left too.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 01:00 AM
    You did not notice but BlackBerry has left too.

Posted via CB10
    It left but it still didn't sell...
    10-19-16 06:32 AM
    I always thought it was a big massive mistake.

They need to drop it (Blackberry isnt blackberry with android) keep the focus on BBOS10 and one day BBOS11 (Also make BBOS 8.0) FOR THE BOLD 9900 users.

All will be well... ??
    10-19-16 06:52 AM
    I always thought it was a big massive mistake.

They need to drop it (Blackberry isnt blackberry with android) keep the focus on BBOS10 and one day BBOS11 (Also make BBOS 8.0) FOR THE BOLD 9900 users.

All will be well... ??
    It is about stemming the losses. Maybe if they just made one BB10 phone based on a standard non changing design that is cheap to make, it might not be a loss maker. No Android apps though.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 07:15 AM
    Isn't hardware dead now?
    Had they left with BB10, they would have NOTHING now.

By going to and developing for Android, they now have both a secure OS to licence, and an app suite to sell. This is new, recurring revenue.

This "head held high", and Google paranoia stuff is silly. If that bothers you then fine, but it clearly doesn't matter to 99% of the world. If hardware had instead died with BB10, your needs wouldn't have been met anyway.
    Last edited by conite; 10-19-16 at 10:35 AM.
    10-19-16 10:15 AM
    Isn't hardware dead now?
    Are they selling android or android apps now more than they sold android phones?

If they had stuck with Bb10, at least they would have gone out of hardware with their head up high, without having to sell their users to Google and antagonizing their userbase, none of whom asked for android.
    Those who wanted android had many other choices and had already left.
    BlackBerry isn't a person that needs to hold it's head up high. BB10 was dead long before it was developed. The new ecosystem race started when Apple started development of IOS back in the 2000's and when Google bought the company about the same that was developing Android. Had BlackBerry had BB10 rolling out in the 2007-2009 time frame, it still would have been a three way fight between Apple, Google and BlackBerry. That's without factoring in Microsoft jumping in with WP OS. At this point, BlackBerry would still be #3 or #4 player in a two player system. Had they developed a new BB10 OS that far back, then Microsoft probably would have taken over company 2009-2012 range anyway. The fact, they were never acquired back then means nobody wanted to buy a decaying outdated business model (BIS). Perhaps, this is why and how way back when, Jim and Mike were cashing out their holdings. As visionaries, they could see the future of the industry and knew they were too late. They couldn't do anything except milk the cow until it died. The development of BB10 was possibly only intended to keep stock propped up while management legally dumped their stock.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-19-16 03:10 PM
140 ... 3456