With patent wars all over in the smartphone world, this latest news makes me wonder what did RIM do to protect one of their interesting, albeit cosmetic, features?

Here's the article...... Blackberry 10-styled lockscreen now available as a mod for Android | Ubergizmo
    10-31-12 10:05 AM
    Even if RIM did have a patent for it, I don't think they'd be able to sue someone for creating a mod that's not for commercial purposes. I'm no patent lawyer though.
    10-31-12 10:11 AM
    Pretty sure RIM didn't invent the lock screen transition. I guess they could try and patent it though.
    10-31-12 10:17 AM
    I don't know how it all works either but I do know that Apple has gone and patented their unlock swipe (and pretty much any swipe motion to unlock a screen) so thought maybe RIM could've done the same.
    10-31-12 10:20 AM
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how to react to this, part of me wants to say that it's obviously a cool idea otherwise the dev wouldn't have bothered to copy it, but part of me want him to get burned for stealing someone else's idea.
    The part which really annoyed me though was this line from the article: "...there were some changes made to the UI which made the interface more modern"... no , IT'S A BRAND NEW OS!!! Learn about what you're writing about!!!

Si.
    10-31-12 10:22 AM
    Maan this sucks! All we have seen are a few leaks and now this! Geez, by the time BB10 comes out ALL of their leaked features will already be on Other Devices!!! There won't be any new surprises to brag about come Launch except for the ones that RIM, Thank GOD, are keeping close to their chest.
    10-31-12 10:37 AM
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how to react to this, part of me wants to say that it's obviously a cool idea otherwise the dev wouldn't have bothered to copy it, but part of me want him to get burned for stealing someone else's idea.
    The part which really annoyed me though was this line from the article: "...there were some changes made to the UI which made the interface more modern"... no , IT'S A BRAND NEW OS!!! Learn about what you're writing about!!!

Si.
    Dude he was talking about the new BB10 interface! As in BB has a new modern interface and I like it so much I'm gonna steal it
    10-31-12 10:42 AM
    Maan this sucks! All we have seen are a few leaks and now this! Geez, by the time BB10 comes out ALL of their leaked features will already be on Other Devices!!! There won't be any new surprises to brag about come Launch except for the ones that RIM, Thank GOD, are keeping close to their chest.
    I wouldn't worry about it. What percentage of Android users will actually have this mod installed on their phones?
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    10-31-12 10:47 AM
    Well at least they mentioned that it was a copy of BlackBerry 10 lock screen!! It does suck tho' and I believe that they did the same thing to the BB10-Keyboard...
    If this lock screen is worth stealing the idea, wait until BB10 launch (GAME CHANGER)!!!!
    10-31-12 10:57 AM
    RIM only should show what dev's need to know keep the rest till release. What are all these teasers really providing anyway to us? At least RIM is keeping most secrets well hid
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    10-31-12 11:17 AM
    This kind of thing just illustrates the frustration of the wait. It is hard not to feel the proverbial gun to the head. Copies of BB10 stuff on other devices is like a little bit more pressure on the trigger....
    10-31-12 11:49 AM
    I'm looking at the article and the screen shots and I don't think it is a complete copy.

The BB10 unlock is a peak, so you can lift up to see a little, most or all and unlock. It sounds like the Android mod is just a swipe up and a fade transition.
    10-31-12 12:22 PM
    I'm looking at the article and the screen shots and I don't think it is a complete copy.

The BB10 unlock is a peak, so you can lift up to see a little, most or all and unlock. It sounds like the Android mod is just a swipe up and a fade transition.
    Here's a link to the video that was posted at the bottom of the article... [MOD][GUIDE] BlackBerry 10 style Lockscreen mod for JB/ICS [JZO54K / AOKP] - xda-developers
    10-31-12 12:24 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. What percentage of Android users will actually have this mod installed on their phones?
    Exactly. The greatest thing about Android is the customization. And for those that are capable of installing mods like this, they generally want their lockscreen to be function over form. Therefore, most of their lockscreens are set up with widgets, shortcuts to text, IM's, gmail, etc..rather than just the "swipe to unlock".
    10-31-12 12:25 PM
    Here's a link to the video that was posted at the bottom of the article... [MOD][GUIDE] BlackBerry 10 style Lockscreen mod for JB/ICS [JZO54K / AOKP] - xda-developers
    Ahh... so, except for having to push a button to get started on the Android, it is the same.

10-31-12 12:39 PM
    Exactly. The greatest thing about Android is the customization. And for those that are capable of installing mods like this, they generally want their lockscreen to be function over form. Therefore, most of their lockscreens are set up with widgets, shortcuts to text, IM's, gmail, etc..rather than just the "swipe to unlock".
    if the widget always runs, then, you knwo the consequence. Memory and battery draining.
    10-31-12 12:45 PM
    if the widget always runs, then, you knwo the consequence. Memory and battery draining.
    i see people say this but never actually see it happen. I several widgets and never have battery problems nor memory problems. Sure it might take a tiny bit more battery but as long as you dont have 10 widgets updating every 5 minutes then battery doesnt suffer at all.
    Drew808, mikeo007, bp3dots and 1 others like this.
    10-31-12 01:05 PM
    This is why RIM needs to just keep the best stuff secret. I don't care that some mod copies a lock screen but it just shows that people can and could copy RIM's ideas and put them to use well before BB10 hits the market. At least it shows that people obviously think these are good enough ideas to copy...
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-31-12 02:07 PM
    Swiping up to unlock has been on Windows Phone 7 since its launch in 2010. You can peek at the screen by swiping up partially as well.

This is cosmetically different because of the curtain/translucent effect, but the operating mechanism is identical and it would be hard to claim that RIM invented it.
    10-31-12 03:02 PM
    swiping up has also been on android for many years now also. I dont think anyone is making a claim that the swiping up gesture is new to the scene. The visual effects are different is some way on each system though.
    10-31-12 03:09 PM
    You sound ridiculous..

No one justifies spending x on a phone because it has a cool animation when it is unlocked. This is the stupid stuff that fan boys whine about...across the board. I read a comment on a review earlier that contained every single apple fanboy comment that comes standard with every justification they make, including that android users bash apple because they can't afford an iPhone, and comparing iPhones to diamonds while everything else is a cubic zirconium.

Patent the aspects of your phone that make it ground breaking. The things that no one else has done before. Not the cosmetic features or the small changes to existing technology.

BTW, I assume that RIM (as a company) knows this and wouldn't bother with such little details.
    10-31-12 03:24 PM
    Tripell, I think you read far too deep into this. It was simply posing a question, and one that I do not know the answers too. I am not a "fanboy", albeit I am a fan. I asked this because I read an article a couple of weeks ago about Apple buying patents on swipe to unlock gestures so, in my opinion, this was a valid point to bring to surface.

Now, with regards to what is being patented, I would agree that the real stuff matters but, unfortunately, that's not the way the world works. Shapes of devices are being patented for crying out loud so UI features are as well. If you don't get on it, someone will and then force you to pay up. In this world of technology, nobody is safe..... even from the things that you, and I, and millions of others, see as cosmetic or small changes.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-31-12 04:20 PM
    Open Theft community hard at work stealing others peoples ideas as usual. They are no better than the Chinese Companies who knock off and steal other peoples and companies ideas!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    Jake Storm and Dapper37 like this.
    10-31-12 07:26 PM
    Open Theft community hard at work stealing others peoples ideas as usual. They are no better than the Chinese Companies who knock off and steal other peoples and companies ideas!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    Theft implies ownership. RIM doesn't "own" this, otherwise it'd be patented. And since they don't even have a device out yet to the public with this type of gesture, it's pretty hard to call it "theft". Besides, this is simply a mod, and doesn't come standard on ANY phone yet.
    Drew808 and Blacklatino like this.
    10-31-12 07:40 PM
    i look at it as a compliment to BB10.

heck.. who am i to blame.
    i use jelly bean lockscreen on my torch.
    and that's made by moooo

#blackberry by choice. Sent from my 9800 non-slide slider.
    10-31-12 07:45 PM
40 12