I think people are confused about what launchers in Android are about.

The point is not to make Android look and work like BB10, the point is that launchers add customizations that may not be available on the stock Google launcher.

That said,

- Android does not support active frames as seen in BB10. Some of us found the active frames unless.

- You can still have screens with app icons,which can be sorted into folders, if you didn't want to use the app drawer.

- People with rooted Marshmallow Android, can use GMD Gesture Control to make system wide gestures. This app is broken in 7.0.

- 'Peek' is not needed on Android, as there is the notification drawer, which is always available with a swipe down.

Serious Android users use Nova Launcher anyway.
    Active frames. At first I didn't see the need but as I used them. I love active frames. I find them very useful

Apps. I find apps are everywhere in android,in the app drawer, short cuts on other pages. Folders. Every where

Peek is one of the things. I really don't want to give up. I like just quickly swipe up check time. See what notification I have. With out showing the. World what I have. If I need to look further. I can if not slide finger back down and still in the app I was in with out having to reload.

Imo bb10 is a far superior os. In just about every way.
    I removed all email accounts from my Android tab. I hate the notice draw. I really do not want to switch and I am very unhappy with BlackBerry from pretty much dropping all support for there os.

#luvmybb10os
    11-20-16 03:13 PM
    So superior that no one would buy it.
    11-20-16 04:12 PM
    If we keep repeating it long enough it may come true......
    11-20-16 04:15 PM
    People can't buy what they don't know exists

#luvmybb10os
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-20-16 04:47 PM
    People can't buy what they don't know exists

#luvmybb10os
    Some people knew but too step of learning curve for them and the first problems when it was released.
    I had no problem cause that was fun to discover what was hidden but for the normal customer they were not ready to sit in from of a computer to figure it out.
    Also I'm sure many returned theirs cause of the app gap
    11-20-16 07:03 PM
    The app gap was not so apparent until the Amazon solution failed miserably.

There is no excuse for repeating the PlayBook failure with the Z10.
    11-20-16 07:34 PM
    People can't buy what they don't know exists #luvmybb10os
    BlackBerry sold a couple million z10, if BB10 had captivated those folks the sales should have grown slowly like a sleeper hit movie. Reality was different and awareness was not the problem.
    11-20-16 07:41 PM
    BlackBerry sold a couple million z10, if BB10 had captivated those folks the sales should have grown slowly like a sleeper hit movie. Reality was different and awareness was not the problem.
    Ya it would have but BlackBerry. Never released any other good phones. Putting them selves up for sale didn't help. And carriers pushed other phones. Telling people BlackBerry is going bankrupt. That phone won't be supported. Even now when people find out I have a BlackBerry they don't believe me cause BlackBerry don't make touch screen phones. It was a complete and utter lack of marketing. People can say app gap all they want it was not the reason. Yes it was a mounting factor but but not the only reason

#luvmybb10os
    11-20-16 09:02 PM
    You'd have to rephrase that to be honest. It's the lack of mainstream apps, and /or lack of marketing, not the OS ' capabilities.... :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    11-21-16 01:07 AM
    You'd have to rephrase that to be honest. It's the lack of mainstream apps, and /or lack of marketing, not the OS ' capabilities.... :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Not offering Android APK's via BBW while at the same time turning a blind eye to Snap seemed to me to be very unproductive.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 01:56 AM
    Not offering Android APK's via BBW while at the same time turning a blind eye to Snap seemed to me to be very unproductive.

Posted via CB10
    What was BlackBerry suppose to do? Snap and most of the other app stores violate Google's Terms of Service.

Amazon had the largest legal repository of apps.
    11-21-16 07:02 AM
    And I really wish they would get rid of the home button. ( the Bain of my insistence). Seriously why is it so hard for people to grasp gestures? I wish they would make.ot more like bb10

#luvmybb10os
    the home button was the only one those non-BB really want... doesn't matter how messed up, there is a way to go back to the main screen... BB10 heard all of complain about the lack of home button... without it, many non-BB user can not function...(or feel insecure)... are you sure it is changed now? (my info are few years back). that is a major IQ boost for the targetted user.. care to estimate how many % wise would love to lose the home button?
    11-21-16 08:03 AM
    Android is Google's OS.

You can try and do other stuff with it but if you do, they'll take your access to Google Play away from you. And Google Play is the only reason anybody wants this OS in the first place.

So in effect ... do as Google says, or GTFO.
    11-21-16 09:06 AM
    What was BlackBerry suppose to do? Snap and most of the other app stores violate Google's Terms of Service.

They could have had offered Android apk's in BBW as long as those apps did not require GPS. At least BlackBerry could have had offered apps that would work on their devices. Not all Amazon apps would work.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 09:13 AM

I've seen apps that worked perfectly on one edition, then stopped working with an update (where the update log didn't mention introducing any new dependencies on Google Services, or any features that might be inferred to use them; for example, a banking app, which I don't want Google going anywhere near).

What Google are doing is very similar to what Microsoft did to corner the PC market, and they need to get treated the same way that Microsoft did. Unfortunately Google have put a lot of cash into a lot of important places and are probably quite secure against any repercussions.
    11-21-16 09:19 AM
    I've seen apps that worked perfectly on one edition, then stopped working with an update (where the update log didn't mention introducing any new dependencies on Google Services, or any features that might be inferred to use them; for example, a banking app, which I don't want Google going anywhere near).

What Google are doing is very similar to what Microsoft did to corner the PC market, and they need to get treated the same way that Microsoft did. Unfortunately Google have put a lot of cash into a lot of important places and are probably quite secure against any repercussions.
    Maybe a runtime issue. My Z10 is headed to the Hospice. The browser is failing and apps are failing too.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 09:41 AM
    This is my second Android and no home button. Android is not just one experience.
    Amen. The ignorant have no idea..............
    11-21-16 09:50 AM
    Active frames. At first I didn't see the need but as I used them. I love active frames. I find them very useful

Apps. I find apps are everywhere in android,in the app drawer, short cuts on other pages. Folders. Every where

Peek is one of the things. I really don't want to give up. I like just quickly swipe up check time. See what notification I have. With out showing the. World what I have. If I need to look further. I can if not slide finger back down and still in the app I was in with out having to reload.

Imo bb10 is a far superior os. In just about every way.
    I removed all email accounts from my Android tab. I hate the notice draw. I really do not want to switch and I am very unhappy with BlackBerry from pretty much dropping all support for there os.

#luvmybb10os
    I have Nova Launcher and my apps are on two pages only. ONLY. and I choose to group them in folders or leave them in the open. Cleaner than you BB10 i bet.

What you are describing is STOCK MM which many do not use without a launcher.
    cribble2k and Avenzuno like this.
    11-21-16 09:54 AM
    They could have had offered Android apk's in BBW as long as those apps did not require GPS. At least BlackBerry could have had offered apps that would work on their devices. Not all Amazon apps would work.

Posted via CB10
    That wouldn't have gotten them any further ahead. You need the developer's permission to host an app. Whether or not Blackberry converted it to a bar file was immaterial. Those developers did not want to support another platform.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    11-21-16 10:01 AM
    That wouldn't have gotten them any further ahead. You need the developer's permission to host an app. Whether or not Blackberry converted it to a bar file was immaterial. Those developers did not want to support another platform.
    Why convert it at all. I just emailed apk's not requiring GPS from my Android device to my Z10. If the app required no change by the developer then they would probably been ok. The fly in the ointment might have been the incredibly stupid decision to go with a 1:1 screen on the PKB devices.
    11-21-16 10:15 AM
    Why convert it at all. I just emailed apk's not requiring GPS from my Android device to my Z10.
    The hard part was to get the developer's permission to host and support the app. Whether BlackBerry posted the app as an apk, or automatically converted it to bar is irrelevant - it's just a wrapper.
    11-21-16 10:42 AM
    I think developers would have supported an Android store curated by BlackBerry. Just an opinion.
    11-21-16 04:37 PM
    I think developers would have supported an Android store curated by BlackBerry. Just an opinion.
    But they didn't. BlackBerry World fully supported Android apps.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    11-21-16 04:44 PM
    But they didn't. BlackBerry World fully supported Android apps.
    I would have wanted BBW to be have a separate Android store which would have been a big difference from a marketing standpoint back in 2013. The improved marketing might have enhanced developer support however we will never know.
    11-21-16 06:12 PM
    I would have wanted BBW to be have a separate Android store which would have been a big difference from a marketing standpoint back in 2013. The improved marketing might have enhanced developer support however we will never know.
    BlackBerry wanted to obfuscate the fact the BBW contained such a piddling small number of native apps.
    11-21-16 07:11 PM
63 123