Have just seen this article Android 'lags' BB10 in terms of security, claims BlackBerry CEO John Chen | Computing - no startling news, but an interesting round-up from John Chen covering:
    • BB10 Security
    • Android Security
    • Security comparison - BB10 vs Android
    • Android Nougat (& BlackBerry tweaks)
    • New BlackBerry Phones
    • Licensing

Thought the article might be of interest to some.

(Not sure exactly which forum this thread should be posted in - so Mods, please move this thread if it should be somewhere else).
    enrod87 likes this.
    07-20-16 07:06 AM
    "Before you get out, you’ve got to provide a soft landing for your customers. We still have a lot of BlackBerry users and you can't just walk away from those customers because these are the same people we’ll sell software to."

Chen added that another possibility for the company is to continue offering devices under the BlackBerry name, but which really amount to re-badged devices.

"We can stay in the handset biz by not having to make every handset. There's lots we can license. Maybe even the name," he said.
    Chen sure sounds like a man looking to get out of hardware.....

I don't know how BlackBerry is suppose to convince existing enterprise customers on BBOS or BB10 to migrate to BlackBerry's Android... when the chances that their will be a 2nd generation of devcies is very small.

Anyway I think everyone knows that BB10 is the better OS, the problem is it cost too much to develop it for the enterprise only market. It's like comparing an off the shelf airplane from Gulf Stream to a custom built and designed fighter like the F-35.
    07-20-16 07:23 AM
    Translated into English: "The old OS I abandoned is better than the new OS I created."

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 04:25 PM
    Interesting that he said BlackBerry-hardened Android Nougat will completely close the security gap with BB10, and this will be accomplished in the next 6 to 8 months.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-20-16 04:31 PM
    Chen added that another possibility for the company is to continue offering devices under the BlackBerry name, but which really amount to re-badged devices.

"We can stay in the handset biz by not having to make every handset. There's lots we can license. Maybe even the name," he said.
    Here comes Alcatel...
    07-20-16 04:34 PM
    Makes sense. BB Lollipop was almost stock and MM much the same. Nougat is where BB will put alot of resources into binding its own apps to the OS, Samsung style. I would expect at that time that alot of the BB apps would not work on other phones without patching, and then with reduced functionality.
    07-20-16 05:07 PM

I don't know how BlackBerry is suppose to convince existing enterprise customers on BBOS or BB10 to migrate to BlackBerry's Android... when the chances that their will be a 2nd generation of devcies is very small.

Anyway I think everyone knows that BB10 is the better OS, the problem is it cost too much to develop it for the enterprise only market. It's like comparing an off the shelf airplane from Gulf Stream to a custom built and designed fighter like the F-35.
    Why do you think the chances of second generation devices are small?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 08:08 PM

I think it is only the people here in this forum tha thinks BlackBerry 10 is a better OS. The rest of the world thinks it is outdated even without looking at it. All my colleagues & friends keep asking me to update myself and move to either iOS or Android.

Ha ha ha ha ha

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-20-16 08:13 PM
    I think it is only the people here in this forum tha thinks BlackBerry 10 is a better OS. The rest of the world thinks it is outdated even without looking at it. All my colleagues & friends keep asking me to update myself and move to either iOS or Android.

Ha ha ha ha ha

Don't let them get to you, if you like it then keep using it..
    LuxuryTouringZone likes this.
    07-20-16 09:19 PM
    Why do you think the chances of second generation devices are small?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing they've tried for the past several years has done anything to pull the stick back, and it seems every device so far has been the last attempt. Chen's caginess with regards to future devices plus the lack of substantive leaks (the shots of the Priv hardware + software versus the ramblings of some loser with a blog) aren't helping.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    07-20-16 09:38 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha

If that were the case used Passports wouldn't command a higher price than new Privs.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 09:53 PM
    Nothing they've tried for the past several years has done anything to pull the stick back, and it seems every device so far has been the last attempt. Chen's caginess with regards to future devices plus the lack of substantive leaks (the shots of the Priv hardware + software versus the ramblings of some loser with a blog) aren't helping.
    I thought Chen said they are close to breaking even on devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 09:56 PM
    I thought Chen said they are close to breaking even on devices.

Posted via CB10
    Their device sales go down about as much as their projections for breaking even, though.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-20-16 10:03 PM
    Their device sales go down about as much as their projections for breaking even, though.
    Seems like Chen is speculating. Wishful thinking.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 10:09 PM
    Interesting that he said BlackBerry-hardened Android Nougat will completely close the security gap with BB10, and this will be accomplished in the next 6 to 8 months.
    Yep - which means (to me) that very secure users (eg government departments) will no longer need to run BBOS/BB10...
    07-21-16 02:42 AM
    Yep - which means (to me) that very secure users (eg government departments) will no longer need to run BBOS/BB10...
    Government users have NOW decided that Android is leggy and does NOT work well in fact they are moving to. IOS. BlackBerry 10 is NOT dated and is still the most advanced OS out there, many years after it has been launched. If you wish to argue that the hardware is dated, perhaps, the BlackBerry Passport however quickly diminishes that argument, as it's a piece of futuristic equipment that no other has been able to replicate.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 05:59 AM
    Government users have NOW decided that Android is leggy and does NOT work well in fact they are moving to. IOS. BlackBerry 10 is NOT dated and is still the most advanced OS out there, many years after it has been launched. If you wish to argue that the hardware is dated, perhaps, the BlackBerry Passport however quickly diminishes that argument, as it's a piece of futuristic equipment that no other has been able to replicate.

Posted via CB10
    Hasn't been a substantial update to BB10 in almost 18 months now... there are no plans to move to 64 Bit processing, there are no plans to do anything other than a few security patches.... BB10 is dated.

Now yes it had potential and with the same level of development that iOS and Android get on a yearly basis... it would be a contender as an OS. But as a platform... that is beyond BlackBerry control. And even the military is using Apps....

For most people if BB10 can't run Pokemon Go.... it's dated.

As for the Passport... what doe it DO that an average user would find "futuristic"? What does it do that you think another OEM might even consider replicating? I doubt any other OEM would even consider that form factor, a keyboard or using an OS that is incapable of doing what most people want to do... without hacks, patching, sideloading.

If it works for you... great. It just would have been nice if what BB10 is capable of doing had extended to what most other people need in a smartphone in 2016.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-21-16 at 07:51 AM.
    jaydee5799 and TgeekB like this.
    07-21-16 07:26 AM
    best reason to use bb10 ^_^, imagine govt spies playing it.can't find the spy? well just put a poke lure and see who comes around
    07-21-16 10:04 AM
    best reason to use bb10 ^_^, imagine govt spies playing it.can't find the spy? well just put a poke lure and see who comes around
    Exactly what kind of Pokemon is a goverment spy going to be attracted to that the other thousand or so users in the area aren't going to be chasing down?

The thing I have never understood with some here.... is it's better to have the option to disable something (games, fingerprint readers, apps....) than not to have them to begin with. Any corporate IT department is going to be able to limit the use of these features on company issued phones if they aren't desired. But I don't know any good IT department is going to be able to add a fingerprint scanner if that become a mandate for either access control in the building or for identity verification. Same with apps, until Cobalt makes an enterprise grade HACK....
    07-21-16 11:10 AM
    BB10 Os is the best for security, communication, and productivity.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 12:02 PM
    BB10 Os is the best for security, communication, and productivity.

Posted via CB10
    Based on what metric?
    cribble2k likes this.
    07-21-16 12:21 PM
    Hasn't been a substantial update to BB10 in almost 18 months now... there are no plans to move to 64 Bit processing, there are no plans to do anything other than a few security patches.... BB10 is dated.

Now yes it had potential and with the same level of development that iOS and Android get on a yearly basis... it would be a contender as an OS. But as a platform... that is beyond BlackBerry control. And even the military is using Apps....

As for the Passport... what doe it DO that an average user would find "futuristic"? What does it do that you think another OEM might even consider replicating? I doubt any other OEM would even consider that form factor, a keyboard or using an OS that is incapable of doing what most people want to do... without hacks, patching, sideloading.

If it works for you... great. It just would have been nice if what BB10 is capable of doing had extended to what most other people need in a smartphone in 2016.
    Pok�mon is your yardstick of what's Modern???? .LOL.... have you ever used a Keyboard on the Passport? ? Why not try one!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 12:35 PM
    Exactly what kind of Pokemon is a goverment spy going to be attracted to that the other thousand or so users in the area aren't going to be chasing down?

The thing I have never understood with some here.... is it's better to have the option to disable something (games, fingerprint readers, apps....) than not to have them to begin with. Any corporate IT department is going to be able to limit the use of these features on company issued phones if they aren't desired. But I don't know any good IT department is going to be able to add a fingerprint scanner if that become a mandate for either access control in the building or for identity verification. Same with apps, until Cobalt makes an enterprise grade HACK....
    Do you understand the law with respect to using a finger print vs a password with respect to the authorities accessing your data on the device ? Look it up. You will be possibly surprised at what you may find.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 12:38 PM
    Based on what metric?
    His imagination lol.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and cribble2k like this.
    07-21-16 01:11 PM
    Do you understand the law with respect to using a finger print vs a password with respect to the authorities accessing your data on the device ? Look it up. You will be possibly surprised at what you may find.

Posted via CB10
    No I'm aware of it... seen the argument that many have made here about it, and to be honest I doubt I would use a fingerprint to unlock my phone.

Might use a fingerprint to authorize apps to make purchases, or a number of other functions that they can do now or are may do in the future.

It's an option when it there, user or company/gov can decide to use it or not. When it's not there, if it is wanted then that phone is out of the selection choice

Mute point now... as BlackBerry will soon have fingerprint readers on some of their phones very soon.
    07-21-16 02:51 PM
31 12