After reading about Android L and emphasis on features such as lock screen notifications are some of blackberry's uniqueness being eroded.

Posted via CB10
    yciwolf likes this.
    06-26-14 11:06 AM
    Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-26-14 11:48 AM
    That's the thing about competition: your competitors don't stand still. The mobile device market is one of the most competitive markets in the world, and the stakes are extremely high, which is why companies like Apple and Google pour billions of dollars a year in R&D and engineering to expand their reach. And of course they're going to look at good ideas that their competitors have and incorporate most of them in their own products. Keep in mind that a huge amount of BB10's ideas and concepts came from WebOS, which was designed by Matias Duarte, who has been head of Android design for several years now. It's not like he's "stealing" from himself, right?

The bigger things that BB needs to worry about are not the Android OS improvements, but all of the services, devices, and integration to other systems that Android continues to build upon. BB10 is kind of an island unto itself, and relies on third-party services for all of the things BB doesn't have of its own. iOS and Android both have large and growing suites of services, and yet can still work with third-party services as well. BB really can't compete with that - they don't have the money or the resources (developers/engineers) to play in this space.
    imcurved, TGR1, Rooster99 and 7 others like this.
    06-26-14 11:55 AM
    Yes WebOS style notifications came to BB and was improved then it went to IOS8 and now Android 'L' .
    06-26-14 11:55 AM
    What is android L? Lollipop?
    m1kr0, MarsupilamiX, web99 and 1 others like this.
    06-26-14 11:59 AM
    Those small features don't make much difference.
    Android is an all encompassing platform that use your data to make your life easier no matter what you're doing.
    BB10 is just a phone that runs a fraction of the Android apps but slower and with less features.
    It won't be easy to sell BB10 phones in developed markets.
    Rooster99 and donwuan like this.
    06-26-14 12:00 PM
    it was bound to happen, brands need to evolve, and they will hit hardest when their competitors are most vulnerable.

The fact remains, BlackBerry is the best business device, nothing comes close to the email experience, I have tried every single platform, no comparison, If someone is looking at mobile computing, BlackBerry is the best platform.
    06-26-14 12:03 PM
    Android is an all encompassing platform that use your data to
    ... make money by selling it to unidentified third parties and using it to target advertising.

You're merely a little sardine in a can being sold by Google.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 06-26-14 at 12:36 PM.
    Playbook007 and grover5 like this.
    06-26-14 12:04 PM
    Boy.....the android fanboys are out in full force today. Knox was going to rule before. Didn't happen. Now they copy balance and say it will now. Here's the problem.....its simply too fragmented. It has to be in order to dominate the consumer space. On another note, a large portion of the world doesn't trust the Americans post Snowden. His reports secured the BlackBerry comeback the day they were released. It just will take time. I personally do not trust Apple nor Google. They want to rule all the information of all the people in the world.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:47 PM
    Boy.....the android fanboys are out in full force today. Knox was going to rule before. Didn't happen. Now they copy balance and say it will now. Here's the problem.....its simply too fragmented. It has to be in order to dominate the consumer space. On another note, a large portion of the world doesn't trust the Americans post Snowden. His reports secured the BlackBerry comeback the day they were released. It just will take time. I personally do not trust Apple nor Google. They want to rule all the information of all the people in the world.

Posted via CB10
    So the Canadians aren't out to get or spy on anyone? How do we know they can be trusted? Maybe you have a secret pact with the NSA and it hasn't leaked yet? Can't trust anyone.
    06-26-14 12:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Balance was around before bbry "invented" it lol

If you think bes was the first to have it Google it

Android had balance since 4.2.2 on tablets which predates BES 10 by a year
    Even windows phone had it

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-26-14 01:10 PM
    No. Next!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 01:11 PM
    it was bound to happen, brands need to evolve, and they will hit hardest when their competitors are most vulnerable.

The fact remains, BlackBerry is the best business device, nothing comes close to the email experience, I have tried every single platform, no comparison, If someone is looking at mobile computing, BlackBerry is the best platform.
    I disagree. Email/text/phone doesn't equal computing. From a user standpoint, BB is currently the weakest platform precisely because it doesn't exploit the depth and breadth of what today's smartphone can do. BBRY is at a severe disadvantage because it doesn't have the computer and consumer electronics access its 3 main competitors do.

For me, people nattering on health care and the Passport is nice but the absolutely most important thing JC needs to land is native MS Office and seamless integration with computers and Outlook. Office is the bread and butter of enterprise and if nothing else a stamp of legitimacy. It would also be a very visible area to trump Android (Office mobile for phones is a joke; only the iPad one is actually all that useful). That will be a real competitive step up in mobile computing for BBRY.
    senel, ccbs, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    06-26-14 01:29 PM
    That's the thing about competition: your competitors don't stand still. The mobile device market is one of the most competitive markets in the world, and the stakes are extremely high, which is why companies like Apple and Google pour billions of dollars a year in R&D and engineering to expand their reach. And of course they're going to look at good ideas that their competitors have and incorporate most of them in their own products. Keep in mind that a huge amount of BB10's ideas and concepts came from WebOS, which was designed by Matias Duarte, who has been head of Android design for several years now. It's not like he's "stealing" from himself, right?

The bigger things that BB needs to worry about are not the Android OS improvements, but all of the services, devices, and integration to other systems that Android continues to build upon. BB10 is kind of an island unto itself, and relies on third-party services for all of the things BB doesn't have of its own. iOS and Android both have large and growing suites of services, and yet can still work with third-party services as well. BB really can't compete with that - they don't have the money or the resources (developers/engineers) to play in this space.
    shake head in sadness....looks at post, then walks away
    06-26-14 01:30 PM

Google IO shows how far behind BBRY platform currently is and why John Chen is right to concede the consumer market. Smartphone platform has clearly evolved to involve third screens, attached peripheral devices and PCs. There is no way BBRY will stand a chance to catch up and they should really focus on where they can add values.
    06-26-14 01:47 PM
    Google IO shows how far behind BBRY platform currently is and why John Chen is right to concede the consumer market. Smartphone platform has clearly evolved to involve third screens, attached peripheral devices and PCs. There is no way BBRY will stand a chance to catch up and they should really focus on where they can add values.
    Sadly, it's true. BB10 (and whole ecosystem) looks like ten years behind other competitors.

Google presented tons of features, thousand APIs, devices ect. and BlackBerry presented in 10.3 what? About 15 new features,new UI, few APIs and updated runtime, nothing more, even nothing about Blend.

False excuses like "it's new OS" and blind defending by users won't help.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 02:03 PM
    I don't like Google. I want them to fail, but I have to acknowledge the amazing job they're doing.
    With this new level of integration the smaller platforms are out of the game.
    06-26-14 02:13 PM
    Blackberry Balance was available with BBOs 7, that was over 3 years ago.
    Just saying.
    06-26-14 02:27 PM
    ... make money by selling it to unidentified third parties and using it to target advertising.

Posted via CB10
    A Happy sardine that gets what it asks for. You can spin it any way you want but it's a two way relationship and both sides win.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-26-14 02:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    You keep saying it doesn't work but it seems to work quite well. You can't argue the sales numbers. They are giving people what they want and the majority of people have spoken. You just have a different viewpoint.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-26-14 02:52 PM
    A Happy sardine that gets what it asks for. You can spin it any way you want but it's a two way relationship and both sides win.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I'd rather not spin the sale of my information or usage patterns, habits, locations, contacts, conversation contents, etc. In any way.

It is what it is, feed you eye candy to keep harvesting from you. I'm not saying it's a bad business (clearly not) but... as long as everyone is clear as to why they're getting what they're getting (for so little). Hopefully businesses aren't as altruistic and willfully oblivious to that fact though.

Posted via CB10
    BKA22 likes this.
    06-26-14 08:02 PM
    I'd rather not spin the sale of my information or usage patterns, habits, locations, contacts, conversation contents, etc. In any way.

It is what it is, feed you eye candy to keep harvesting from you. I'm not saying it's a bad business (clearly not) but... as long as everyone is clear as to why they're getting what they're getting (for so little). Hopefully businesses aren't as altruistic and willfully oblivious to that fact though.

Posted via CB10
    Why do you think everyone is "oblivious"? Maybe you just don't get it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-27-14 05:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Over 70% marketshare show how much people care

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    06-27-14 05:44 AM
    Why do you think everyone is "oblivious"? Maybe you just don't get it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Actually many many people are oblivious to the fact that their information is harvested and sold. As an example, I sell software and made a call yesterday. I told him what we do and how we do it. It turns out that he had just received another call the previous day from a company doing a similar thing but with less features and, all for free. I asked him how he thinks that they make money and he was absolute in the fact that they were banking on the future purchase of hardware that will be required. He didn't understand that they were harvesting and selling his information and selling it. The fact that the hardware requirement is still over 2 years out didn't seem to phase him.

So, while many are, I'm sure, aware of what Google does and how they make their money, there are many more that don't.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    06-27-14 05:51 AM
    What is android L? Lollipop?
    I asked myself the same thing...

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I don't get anything out of it though.
    I hate ads for example. And there are services I would gladly pay for, as long as there are no ads, but I can't do that because they stopped having an ad-less business model.
    I don't want to look at ads. In 99.9% of the time, every ad I saw was useless for me.

Which is a trend that got inspired and fueled by Android, the most.
    It's well known that Android users pay the least for apps, going by averages.

I would also gladly pay for certain services if I don't get tracked, but that's a total dream of mine...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, Mr.Willie and peter0328 like this.
    06-27-14 05:53 AM
81 123 ...