Stop bullying me.
    I'm hiding outside your door! LOL.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-10-13 01:10 PM
    All mobile OS's have malware, including BlackBerry.

I've personally installed an app on bbry through AppWorld that was malware.

Be aware of what you install and who its from.

via Tapatalk
    Stop using common sense!
    KermEd likes this.
    03-10-13 01:12 PM
    Speculation is there, quite rightly, as someone pointed out and you yourself agreed with, that because of sideloading, this could be a much much bigger problem for BB10 than for Android devices themselves.
    Please stop re-spinning what I write. I never even remotely implied that it could be a "much much bigger problem for BB10 than for Android devices themselves".

What I wrote is that it is a weak spot for BB10. Since BB10 and Blackberry OS's in general have a far better security track-record and reputation than Android, this would represent a serious weak spot. If the platform were already plagued by malware and exploits it wouldn't be such a noticeable paradigm-shift.

Sideloaded apps will not benefit from any protection BlackBerry may deploy to vet Android apps in BlackBerry App World, because they will simply be released as bars to be downloaded from elsewhere.

Which is no different from an Android user loading an APK file from who-knows-where, or using a non-Google app store, of which there are quite a few. At this point the bar is actually quite a bit higher for a casual BB10 user to do that than it is for a casual Android user to install apps from places other than Google Play.

At least at this stage in the game, BB10 users are probably the most vulnerable, security wise, of all the platforms.

Completely unsupported by the easily-verifiable facts. See above.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    03-10-13 07:14 PM
    At least at this stage in the game, BB10 users are probably the most vulnerable, security wise, of all the platforms.
    In retrospect I just want to say that that's a truly outrageous and ridiculous statement that is unsupported by any version of reality that I can think of.
    03-10-13 07:24 PM
    In retrospect I just want to say that that's a truly outrageous and ridiculous statement that is unsupported by any version of reality that I can think of.
    I have to agree with you on that one!
    03-10-13 07:59 PM
    Yep, I added the first entry in my CB forum ignore list.

*plonk*
    03-10-13 08:18 PM
    Please stop re-spinning what I write. I never even remotely implied that it could be a "much much bigger problem for BB10 than for Android devices themselves".

Nobody's respinning your words. If you admit apps from non official sources are a security problem then the encouragement of sideloading is a big problem.

What I wrote is that it is a weak spot for BB10. Since BB10 and Blackberry OS's in general have a far better security track-record and reputation than Android, this would represent a serious weak spot. If the platform were already plagued by malware and exploits it wouldn't be such a noticeable paradigm-shift.

Which is no different from an Android user loading an APK file from who-knows-where, or using a non-Google app store, of which there are quite a few. At this point the bar is actually quite a bit higher for a casual BB10 user to do that than it is for a casual Android user to install apps from places other than Google Play.

Except Android users don't HAVE to sideload apps to get them.

Completely unsupported by the easily-verifiable facts. See above.
    Considering BB10 users have to sideload apps like Netflix, WhatsApp, hand over email addresses to get on the waiting list for apps, and are queuing up to sideload apps and illegally transfer bars among each other, I'm not quite sure why that's not a bigger problem than an Android user able to get said app from an official store.
    Even if you take one of the non malware Android apps from the Android app store, by the time it's converted and sideloaded on BB10, there's no reason to suspect, if BB10 get's enough marketshare, unscrupulous devs won't add a bit extra.

Yep, I added the first entry in my CB forum ignore list.

*plonk*
    Lol, whatever does it for you. I won't be adding you to my ignore list. One out of every 10 of your posts or so is quite interesting. I can sift through the other ones without complaining too much.
    richardat and randall2580 like this.
    03-11-13 02:31 AM
    Yes, there is some population data that has to be considered...However; the fact that for most other platforms (most meaning the rest), security has been an after thought is not acceptable. I find it had to believe that BBs competition really thinks that half-hearted after market addons are really good enough for our security concerns. It is not an issue of public or corporate sector. It is purely a security issue. If other corporations choose not to address it then vote with your wallet.
    03-11-13 02:43 AM
    Yes, there is some population data that has to be considered...However; the fact that for most other platforms (most meaning the rest), security has been an after thought is not acceptable. I find it had to believe that BBs competition really thinks that half-hearted after market addons are really good enough for our security concerns. It is not an issue of public or corporate sector. It is purely a security issue. If other corporations choose not to address it then vote with your wallet.
    You might have missed it, but the majority of consumers HAVE been voting with their wallets, and BB lost the election. Even in corporate, other platforms are moving away from BB.

Can't hang your product on one feature anymore. Not sure your ever could. BB rose to the top at the time before iPhones and Androids.

Most consumers don't care. They want big screens and apps to get them through their day.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    raysgrumpy and Omnitech like this.
    03-11-13 07:18 AM
    You might have missed it, but the majority of consumers HAVE been voting with their wallets, and BB lost the election. Even in corporate, other platforms are moving away from BB.

Can't hang your product on one feature anymore. Not sure your ever could. BB rose to the top at the time before iPhones and Androids.

Most consumers don't care. They want big screens and apps to get them through their day.

This is exactly correct. Consumers, by and large, not only dont care about security, but have NO idea about it. Corporations are getting by on "good enough" security, because at their heart, they are run by consumers who want similar things to what they have outside of work. Since, by its very nature, security makes things LESS convenient, you can see why this could be very bad for BB if they continued pushing the security aspect.
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-11-13 07:22 AM
    This is exactly correct. Consumers, by and large, not only dont care about security, but have NO idea about it. Corporations are getting by on "good enough" security, because at their heart, they are run by consumers who want similar things to what they have outside of work. Since, by its very nature, security makes things LESS convenient, you can see why this could be very bad for BB if they continued pushing the security aspect.
    Every time I hear about someone getting on the local Starbucks Wi-Fi to do their banking I want to scream....

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-11-13 07:31 AM
    Every time I hear about someone getting on the local Starbucks Wi-Fi to do their banking I want to scream....

But whhhhhyyyyy, I mean, you trust Starbucks to make your coffee, why wouldnt you trust their network connection?
    03-11-13 07:34 AM
    But whhhhhyyyyy, I mean, you trust Starbucks to make your coffee, why wouldnt you trust their network connection?
    Uuugghhhh......people DO IT. They're the same ones who keep their passwords taped to the bottom of their keyboard.

03-11-13 07:40 AM
    I agree.
    03-11-13 07:44 AM
    Uuugghhhh......people DO IT. They're the same ones who keep their passwords taped to the bottom of their keyboard.

LOL i cannot tell you how many people do that with devices too. They have something taped to the back with their password. Every time i see it I rip the thing off, change their password (and IT policy) to make sure its a complex 18+ character password, just for grins.
    03-11-13 07:47 AM
    LOL i cannot tell you how many people do that with devices too. They have something taped to the back with their password. Every time i see it I rip the thing off, change their password (and IT policy) to make sure its a complex 18+ character password, just for grins.
    And the thing that makes me see red is that they take the required training EVERY YEAR and they pass the test EVERY YEAR and then they DO THESE THINGS.

:banghead:

03-11-13 08:11 AM
    And the thing that makes me see red is that they take the required training EVERY YEAR and they pass the test EVERY YEAR and then they DO THESE THINGS.

:banghead:

Lets be honest, those tests arent exactly rocket science lol
    03-11-13 08:14 AM
    Lets be honest, those tests arent exactly rocket science lol
    Oh yah I can do them in ten minutes...click click click next click click click next click click click submit....

03-11-13 08:28 AM
    Oh yah I can do them in ten minutes...click click click next click click click next click click click submit....

The new ones are worse, you actually have to wait to hit click on several parts lol.
    03-11-13 08:29 AM

*slowly removes password list from back of z10 and wonders who else can read his mind...

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 08:53 AM
    The new ones are worse, you actually have to wait to hit click on several parts lol.
    Oh you mean the ones inside the pages? I bypass those and go straight to the section quiz. As long as you get the answer it marks it complete.

03-11-13 09:02 AM
    Oh you mean the ones inside the pages? I bypass those and go straight to the section quiz. As long as you get the answer it marks it complete.

Naa, for us the updated the training as videos with no skip buttons lol
    03-11-13 09:04 AM
    Naa, for us the updated the training as videos with no skip buttons lol
    Ah dang it. No jumping ahead. Sorry.

03-11-13 09:26 AM
    This is what I do, and it's worked for me since 2010. Here is an example of some of the apps in the Play Store:

See the little blue icon on some of them? That marking denotes an app that has the Editor's Choice or Top Developer distinction. I just don't download anything that doesn't have one of those distinctions, unless it has a very high number of downloads and a high user rating. It's the same reason I don't visit questionable websites on my laptop. I know better.
    03-11-13 01:19 PM
    This is what I do, and it's worked for me since 2010. Here is an example of some of the apps in the Play Store:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...psab07627c.png

See the little blue icon on some of them? That marking denotes an app that has the Editor's Choice or Top Developer distinction. I just don't download anything that doesn't have one of those distinctions, unless it has a very high number of downloads and a high user rating. It's the same reason I don't visit questionable websites on my laptop. I know better.
    So that's the only reason you don't visit those questionable websites hmm?
    Noted...

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 01:38 PM
253 ... 678910 ...